Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Vicky 3 makes the most sense from the perspective of "faith has been increasingly wavering from the old school paradox fans, let's make a game we know they'll buy (as well as all of its future dlc), regardless of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
CK3 had a very good launch, and is a very playable game, but I never got into 2 so maybe I’m part of the mainstream audience they fished for?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

BigglesSWE posted:

CK3 had a very good launch, and is a very playable game, but I never got into 2 so maybe I’m part of the mainstream audience they fished for?

I think most people prefer it, as far as I know I'm one of the few hold outs who vastly prefers ck2 to 3 for a multitude of reasons. Like I'll agree that Ck3 really nails the presentation and some of the character development areas but I loathe how it handles war on a base level, and as for the rest I'm just assuming that's the difference between 7 years of development and a fresh release.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
CK3 is a really solid product, but it might as well be a HD re-release of CK2.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fellblade posted:

Probably the most solid foundation Paradox has ever built.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fellblade posted:

I wish that's all it was. :smith:

Like the most concise way I can sum up my feelings on it, it gives you an incredible set of roleplaying tools, while giving you no context or detail on the world you use them in.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What time today is the announcement expected?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Bold Robot posted:

What time today is the announcement expected?

9 PM CET IIRC

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I started an EU4 game on 1.30 but bummed that the very few mods that I like and use are mostly updated to 1.31 and therefore don’t work. :(

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
EU4 lost its charm for me when the Polandball mod stopped updating.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

I mean I'd love it to be Victoria III but I can't imagine many companies would look at the last two years and think 'yeah we should release the European Colonization game again'

You can play as the nazis in hoi4 and slaves are a trade good in eu4

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Vichan posted:

9 PM CET IIRC

8 PM CEST! In 3 hours and 43 minutes. Is the start of the announcement show.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
It's going to be Victoria 3,

but its a mobile game.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

LordMune posted:

8 PM CEST! In 3 hours and 43 minutes. Is the start of the announcement show.

Have you ever thought about how NDAs aren't real? tellustellustellus

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eimi posted:

I think most people prefer it, as far as I know I'm one of the few hold outs who vastly prefers ck2 to 3 for a multitude of reasons. Like I'll agree that Ck3 really nails the presentation and some of the character development areas but I loathe how it handles war on a base level, and as for the rest I'm just assuming that's the difference between 7 years of development and a fresh release.

What's so different about wars? I haven't played a lot of CK2 but it strikes me as very similar to CK3.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

genericnick posted:

Have you ever thought about how NDAs aren't real? tellustellustellus

NDAs are real... real painful!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

What's so different about wars? I haven't played a lot of CK2 but it strikes me as very similar to CK3.

Well at the base level, soldiers instantly appear where you summon them instead of marching across the map, there was teleporting man at arms at release but that was fixed at least. Army composition is much different where the only thing that matters is 'men at arms' which are like super retinues and could be buffed to an insane degree, while normal levies are useless. Instead of each army having a three front system, there's just one commander and then any number of insane super soldier knights. Sieges are much different, honestly way faster because of how siege weapons are a joke, and way more rewarding because you capture high ranking people easily. And lastly CBs are different and felt way easier to get instead of sometime I actually had to put effort into.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because contextless nonsense CK3-style blob worlds are flavourless and unfun
If the assumption is that this is what the game would produce, then the only advantage of a later start date is that it gives the AI less years to gently caress things up in. The game should be solid enough that it can deal with a few freedom movements.

DaysBefore posted:

I mean I'd love it to be Victoria III but I can't imagine many companies would look at the last two years and think 'yeah we should release the European Colonization game again'
What part of the last two years specifically would make one want to avoid it?

Also, there is the obvious counter-factual side of things, which I suspect would be a bigger focus in V3 compared to V2, given the direction Paradox has gone with their other games. Like, making the rest of the world more interesting is clearly something they care about, and being able to sell the game on the ability to do stuff like forcing Europe out of Africa as the Pan-African Republic would do a lot to undermine the idea that the game was about and in favor of European imperialism.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also, even if it is, I feel like you could push the date back quite a bit and still end up in largely the same place? The ball was already rolling nearly three decades before the Vicky 2 start, it'd be perfectly fine to set up Spain's South American possessions as unhappy satellites, and make attempts at independence snowball.

Make the make start in January 1815 so that you can play with Napoleon in Elba, trying to return to France.

Or just make march of the eagles 2 :getin:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Excellent, if this is Vicky 3 then I can start caring about Paradox games again. I also look forward to the 25 DLCs this game will be inundated with :suicide:

But for real, I look forward to seeing what kind of beautiful mess a Victoria with modern sensibilities can turn into.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mans posted:

Make the make start in January 1815 so that you can play with Napoleon in Elba, trying to return to France.

Branching focus tree where you can go back to France or, as Napoleon briefly contemplated irl, escape to Louisiana to carve out a new state.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please dear god Paradox don't import that focus tree garbage from Hoi4

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

I did play a lot of CK2 and CK3's wars strike me as very similar on a base level too, so that comment struck me too, but I can think of a few relevant differences (edit: oh, okay, it was literally all of these things but I'll post anyway).

a) In CK2, "levies" weren't an undifferentiated useless mass, instead they had different troop compositions (and thus effectiveness) based on the buildings in the province - "MaA" basically just let you add extra troops of a type of your choice, rather than being the only troops of that type. They were still an improvement over levies (as they should be) but they didn't utterly eclipse them to the same degree. I actually preferred this system too and I don't entirely get why they changed it.

b) In CK2, MaA were just always on the map rather than being raised, levies were raised from the individual provinces (or, at best, you could raise a particular vassal's levies all at once in one of their provinces) and consolidated, and boats had to be raised like levies rather than just magically appearing if you spent money (this last change was basically how CK1 worked). Probably more realistic, definitely more fiddly interface-wise. The deployment delay for troops in CK3 (especially now that they've fixed teleporting MaA) mostly replicates that feeling for me while saving clicks but MMV, of course.

c) CK2 battles were resolved way differently in a way I can't quite describe (mostly because I only kinda understood it myself). Essentially, instead of the "advantage" stat multiplying damage and the EU-esque combat rolls, each army would have 1 to 3 commanders (centre and flanks) that would pick a "tactic" every so often during the battle depending on stuff like their martial score, terrain, culture, and troop composition, and each tactic would apply bonus or penalties to certain (or in some cases, all) troop types' damage or toughness. There were, again, definitely advantages to doing it this way, but for me it was CK2's equivalent of Victoria 2's economy: very fun to design but barely legible to the player. (there's actually a very thorough battle detail subscreen that I only learned about while I was speedrunning Monarch's Journey challenges literally two days before CK3 came out. No, not the one you're thinking of, another one)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If the assumption is that this is what the game would produce, then the only advantage of a later start date is that it gives the AI less years to gently caress things up in. The game should be solid enough that it can deal with a few freedom movements.

What part of the last two years specifically would make one want to avoid it?

Also, there is the obvious counter-factual side of things, which I suspect would be a bigger focus in V3 compared to V2, given the direction Paradox has gone with their other games. Like, making the rest of the world more interesting is clearly something they care about, and being able to sell the game on the ability to do stuff like forcing Europe out of Africa as the Pan-African Republic would do a lot to undermine the idea that the game was about and in favor of European imperialism.

They would have to rework how they do colonial mechanics entirely, probably make it sorta ck style with colonial governors causing incidents after whatever tech level is reached.
Also influence should give like colonial power and steady economic benefits instead of binary in sphere/not in sphere.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Definitely fake, no way you'd be able to buy pops directly. You'd obviously roll for them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Rolling a 100% lit pop only to realize they're an unaccepted pop :negative:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Capitalists are no longer their own pop, now they are a dedicated gacha currency for rolling factories and railroads.

Hope you enjoy your 15 German Fabric Factories!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Paradox has heard our cries for pops. The reveal is that they're partnering with Funko.

Mans posted:

Or just make march of the eagles 2 :getin:
A Hundred Days campaign start as the Byzantine start of V3 would be great.

Lawman 0 posted:

They would have to rework how they do colonial mechanics entirely, probably make it sorta ck style with colonial governors causing incidents after whatever tech level is reached.
Also influence should give like colonial power and steady economic benefits instead of binary in sphere/not in sphere.
Yeah, they would have to rethink some things, but I feel like those are things that should be rethought anyway. Like, the game should be able to deal with all of Britain's colonies trying for independence at the same time, so why not have the same system gently caress up Spain?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

Capitalists are no longer their own pop, now they are a dedicated gacha currency for rolling factories and railroads.

Hope you enjoy your 15 German Fabric Factories!

My Alaskan glass factories will easily win

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox has heard our cries for pops. The reveal is that they're partnering with Funko.

A Hundred Days campaign start as the Byzantine start of V3 would be great.

Yeah, they would have to rethink some things, but I feel like those are things that should be rethought anyway. Like, the game should be able to deal with all of Britain's colonies trying for independence at the same time, so why not have the same system gently caress up Spain?

I mean an 1821 start would be interesting for that reason imo. Probably should also borrow parts of the innovation system from eu4 and have pop militancy increase as people get their hands on copies of the rights of man and the communist manifesto or whatever.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I started an EU4 game on 1.30 but bummed that the very few mods that I like and use are mostly updated to 1.31 and therefore don’t work. :(

I, on the other hand, asked around if 1.31 was stable enough yet and got mildly affirmative answers, so I started a game. Right as things are getting interesting and the TYW is starting up, random german minors have started "falling off the map". They still look like they are there, but they have no diplomatic contact with anyone, so you can't even declare war on them, and they follow the creed of "no religion". It wouldn't be that bad, but two of the electors are already gone.

... so don't be too bummed about your choice.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
If Wiz is the lead designer on Vicky 3 and it's real I have a lot of faith it'll be good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lmao an 1821 start with spain would actually be amazing because I forgot that it was during their liberal period so could have a nice event chain where you desperately try and keep from falling apart while getting forced to do dumb liberal things. :yeshaha:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

axeil posted:

If Wiz is the lead designer on Vicky 3 and it's real I have a lot of faith it'll be good.

Which games has Wiz worked on?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

popewiles posted:

Vicky 3 makes the most sense from the perspective of "faith has been increasingly wavering from the old school paradox fans, let's make a game we know they'll buy (as well as all of its future dlc), regardless of quality.

How dare you say something so completely accurate. :mad:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kennel posted:

Which games has Wiz worked on?

He took over as Game Director for Stellaris and was responsible for the 2.0 update and most of the radical overhauls of that game (planet districts, hyperlanes as standard, killing individualism vs collectivism, etc), which were positively received by most of the player base. He was also involved in that surprise final patch for Victoria 2 back in the day. Before then he was a modder and made the original iteration of CK2plus, whose Crusade mechanics were later incorporated into CK3. He also made an overhaul mod for Europa Universalis: Rome, which was apparently necessary for making that game enjoyable? I'm operating entirely on hearsay on that one.

He also used to be an active goon and made several screenshot let's plays, most notably House Hohenzollern Rising, which was a mega-campaign spanning EU3, Victoria, and HOI2. It involved a lot of modding to make it all work and I remember being fairly impressed by it when I read it, like seven years ago. He scripted an alt-history equivalent to the Congress of Vienna in Victoria wherein he'd given the other European powers several distinct & homemade AI packages based on the choices the audience picked during negotiations. Naturally the goons chose to be as greedy as possible, leading to their country (Swabia) being treated with suspicion and hostility by the rest of the continent for the remainder of the game. Great fun.

In other words: this is the first project he's been in charge of from the outset, but he's got a long track record of making sensible and and engaging design decisions.

He's also wanted to fix the Victoria 2 economy for about a decade by now:

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I am hopeful that Wiz returns to posting here more once this is announced and out there. It was great having him around the Stellaris thread when he was leading it. The summer of slow teases for the planet overhaul was a good time.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Whatever they come out with I really hope the game is readable on a 4K widescreen with clear fonts/color choices for text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Anno posted:

I am hopeful that Wiz returns to posting here more once this is announced and out there. It was great having him around the Stellaris thread when he was leading it. The summer of slow teases for the planet overhaul was a good time.

Maybe goons won't accuse him of being racist this time.