Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

wtf you guys, America's Test Kitchen rules and Bridget Lancaster is fuckin excellent on that and Proof, their new podcast about various food-related mysteries :colbert:

yeah bridget lancaster is good, go away haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I was dying at the munch squad intro this week.

"Its getting more operatic"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I look forward to them pitching some munch squad ideas or some travis food monstrosities

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i wanna munch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hate the musical introduction to that when he doesn't just do it regular

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's hard to tell how much of that is just him keeping it fresh for himself and how much of it is actually legal advice about avoiding something to close to the actual song.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

munch squad is at its worst when it's essentially free advertising, and at its best when it's a scathing indictment of consumerism and humanity as a whole

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

It's hard to tell how much of that is just him keeping it fresh for himself and how much of it is actually legal advice about avoiding something to close to the actual song.

Quoting Immigrant Song isn't helping that part either!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Chieves posted:

Quoting Immigrant Song isn't helping that part either!

I wonder if anyone kept Peter Grant's throne made from the cadavers of people selling unlicensed merch at Zep shows

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Justin is not going to get sued for performing a bad a capella cover of Immigrant Song/I Wanna Rock for 45 seconds.

Also there's a Core Life near my apartment and now I can't look at it without a giggle.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I missed the munch squad pin and now I'm real loving sad.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

FutonForensic posted:

munch squad is at its worst when it's essentially free advertising

Yeah im not so big on much squad cause of this, I feel like there's some marketing execs soonwhere laughing and high fiving each other as they read off free ads

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’m checking out some old episodes and 138 is a delightful little time capsule where Justin has to explain what both twerking and Snapchat are

These old episodes are a little darker than their current style. I dig it

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Is this week supposed to be a TAZ week? I lost track with the holiday break.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zeeman posted:

Is this week supposed to be a TAZ week? I lost track with the holiday break.

It just went up on my podcast feed 10 minutes ago.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some interesting developments this week.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zero One posted:

Some interesting developments this week.

clint mostly-correctly pronouncing crêpe and the boys ragging on him for it is going to make it the most divisive episode yet

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larry the Fable Guy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just finished The Eleventh Hour for the first time and it was really fuckin' good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, we've figured out why Tebow's on that healthy eating kick. He got engaged!

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I just finished The Eleventh Hour for the first time and it was really fuckin' good.

Yeah, I really loved the Eleventh Hour!

What does everyone think about The Stolen Century? I really didn't like that they switched to a new game while using the same story arc. I ended up stopping after a few episodes and just read the plot summary online.

Now i'm listening to Amnesty and it has been fantastic. I think Griffin has done a great job as a 'Monster of the Week' DM

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

sharkbomb posted:

What does everyone think about The Stolen Century? I really didn't like that they switched to a new game while using the same story arc. I ended up stopping after a few episodes and just read the plot summary online.

Now i'm listening to Amnesty and it has been fantastic. I think Griffin has done a great job as a 'Monster of the Week' DM

I don't recall what the goon consensus was around here, but for me I thought the new system was weird but after a few episodes I was into it, and I just really liked all the weird character vignettes. Also I feel like Lup should be annoying because she's a DMPC who was design to siphon off Taako's popularity but goddammit I love Lup. And Lucretia.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Why is Justin so good at character creation and development??

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think thread consensus at the time was everyone really not into Stolen Century for the first couple eps, then slowly getting into it and saying "I wish it had been like this the whole time", and has since circled back to disliking it compared to the rest of Balance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

creationist believer posted:

Why is Justin so good at character creation and development??

It may just be that he fully commits 100% to every idea he has. The cashew ghost? Hell yeah he's gonna play it straight.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

sharkbomb posted:

I liked Stolen Century a lot, because it was pretty similar to how I prefer to roleplay at the table. Few rolls, no slogging from location to location, just a bunch of scenes of people exploring their characters. It felt like a game of Fiasco except without the whole “escalating chaos” thing.

On the downside it had good deal more of the “Griffin’s radio show guest starring his family sometimes” vibe than the previous arcs, which doesn’t necessarily make for a bad story but also not a great game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"I was once frozen in a block of ice outside of a used car dealership!"

...how is Clint still alive?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
So after a day to think about it... I trust Justin to do a good job with his characters but I really hope he isn't planning on playing Duck as a wimp/sad-sac for the rest of the story.

The fact that he changed character class completely (vs just playing a lower powered Chosen) has me worried.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think he’s going to still be sad sack kinda brave reluctantly but just a regular dude who isn’t special

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zero One posted:

So after a day to think about it... I trust Justin to do a good job with his characters but I really hope he isn't planning on playing Duck as a wimp/sad-sac for the rest of the story.

The fact that he changed character class completely (vs just playing a lower powered Chosen) has me worried.

Really? Because I think it creates a really good character arc for Duck: Duck went through a long period of time of not wanting to use his powers or have anything to do with his "magical destiny" because he was afraid of getting hurt. Then, once he was finally starting to realize his these magical problems aren't something he can just run away and start to appreciate the gifts he was given, his powers get taken away. Now he has to face the things he's been afraid of his entire life at his most vulnerable. He got the thing he wanted (NOT having magical powers) at the worst possible time.

And I don't think he's going to be a sad-sac/wimp, The Power of Heart actually sounds like a pretty OP ability.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think it's a really cool move from a storytelling perspective because Duck has always been a bit of a wimp, he just had these powers that made him tough. I can't really remember how they manifested mechanically other than the innate 2-damage reduction and Beacon kind of.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I think it's a really cool move from a storytelling perspective because Duck has always been a bit of a wimp, he just had these powers that made him tough. I can't really remember how they manifested mechanically other than the innate 2-damage reduction and Beacon kind of.

it felt like the practical effect of duck's armor was that any important enemy had to be able to deal three damage by default, which was never that satisfying. i'd be happy if there was considerably less combat than there currently is, though

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zero One posted:

That last thing is less of a problem than you might think. *World engine games allow you to swap playbooks as a level up option, it isn't nearly as drastic as if a D&D character re-rolled as a new class. I'm not familiar with Monster of the Week specifically, but changing to another class because your circumstances changed is pretty par for the course.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1083926020204519424

Cursed beardless Travis

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This looks like a completely different person. Not better or worse, just totally different.

Some people look basically the same their whole lives, others just become totally different at various stages in their lives.

From what I've seen Justin is a "Look-the-samer" and Travis and Griffin are both "Different-Lookers".

Case in point, this picture of young Griffin McElroy:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Handsome bad-boy Travis.

Someone post the Chapelle photo.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

And on the same page I got it from
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/934583351574482944

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

truly a :cursed: image

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
young beardless travis always reminds me of Chris Kattan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
young travis just needs a shark tooth necklace to be the most early 2000's bro ever