Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ExecuDork posted:

If the driver of a car is playing Pokemon Go and catches the same pokemon at the same time as a pedestrian catches that pokemon and the car hits the pedestrian, who wins?

They both win.

Catching a creature doesn’t remove it from any else’s game world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Depending on the state it is the driver's obligation to stop or yield to a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk. Growing up crossing streets in Illinois and I don't even think twice about it. Bad habit obviously but a legally binding one in many places

I mean, if it's the driver's obligation to stop, that doesn't mean they are going to stop every time, it just means they are legally at fault, you still get fukt up by the car/truck/whatever. I got hit by a truck crossing the street (in illinois none the less) at a stop sign, it still hosed me right up despite being the guys fault, did I get some money out of it? Yeah, could I not walk for months? You betcha.

As a sort of kind of adult (early to mid 20s) I brazenly walked in front of traffic because it would be the drivers fault, then I realized I Am A loving Idiot and do not want to get hit by car and possibly die, so I do not blatantly walk into the street at night when drunken morons are driving.

I'm not saying you were arguing one way or the other, just ramblings from someone poo poo posting while bored at work.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MF_James posted:

I'm not saying you were arguing one way or the other, just ramblings from someone poo poo posting while bored at work.

pretty much. regardless of who is obligated to yield, using the law as a magic forcefield isn't going to prevent people who are distracted or can't see you crossing the street from hitting you (in that gif the light conditions are poor enough that the pedestrian just looms out of nowhere)

imo this is part of the distracted pedestrian problem - sometimes just straight up walking into a hole or off a cliff but also paying enough attention to not fall in a ditch but not paying enough attention to be aware of hazards

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Having the legal right of way might cover your funeral expenses, at least.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I can hear the passengers clapping in this post

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Elysiume posted:

Having the legal right of way might cover your funeral expenses, at least.

Yeah it's better to be alive than legally in the right but dead. Any kind of safety ought to be proactive on the part of the person, not just passive imo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MF_James posted:

I like how part of that article is all about training and education. gently caress, where did we go wrong that people over the age of 16 need to be consistently reminded "Do not step into the street where the 3000lb steel boxes will kill you, flesh loses in this battle"
Where I live peds have priority on crosswalks (even if they're not *on* it yet) and it's awesome.

boner confessor posted:

imo this is part of the distracted pedestrian problem - sometimes just straight up walking into a hole or off a cliff but also paying enough attention to not fall in a ditch but not paying enough attention to be aware of hazards
hahaha peds are so stupid hahaha

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Depending on the state it is the driver's obligation to stop or yield to a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk. Growing up crossing streets in Illinois and I don't even think twice about it. Bad habit obviously but a legally binding one in many places

My university was full of pedestrians who would deal with traffic by stepping out into the middle of the crosswalk and forcing the oncoming cars to slow down and stop, instead of waiting for a light change.

I think the saying goes: "Graveyards are full of people who were in the right."

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

It's really weird that people are trying to lay blame on the lady who got murdered as opposed to the car/back-up driver who hit and murdered her.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Crocoswine posted:

It's really weird that people are trying to lay blame on the lady who got murdered as opposed to the car/back-up driver who hit and murdered her.

Murder

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crocoswine posted:

Been doing that since slightly after the invention of motorcars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxopfjXkArM

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

That vid's been floatin' around my brain this entire convo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crocoswine posted:

I'm picking sides early in the robot war

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Whooping Crabs posted:

I can hear the passengers clapping in this post

Did you mean Crapping?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Crocoswine posted:

It's a good thing we know whether she was plowed into on a crosswalk or stepped out right in front of a parked car.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mozi posted:

It's a good thing we know whether she was plowed into on a crosswalk or stepped out right in front of a parked car.

Murder he said.

Murder.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Crocoswine posted:

Literally every "self driving car causes crash" story I've seen has ended up being "was rear-ended" or "other car ran a red light" or "other car swerved into oncoming traffic" so at this point I'm just premptively expecting the other shoe to drop :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was an incident here in Australia just recently where an 80 year old guy decided to cross a busy road while the traffic was stopped at a light at the exact same time that a cyclist was cutting through the stopped cars (here's a news article with the footage, couldn't find it on youtube) and the cyclist slammed into the old dude, knocking both of them flying.

As you can imagine the news outlets and the callback radio shows were AGHAST that an elderly person got flattened by a cyclist who "came out of nowhere". It's a bit telling that absolutely no one cared whether the cyclist was hurt when he went flying over his handlebars because a pedestrian ran through traffic.

Note that neither party were breaking any laws, lane cutting is legal on a bike and pedestrians can cross roads if there's no pedestrian crosswalk within 20m in this state.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crocoswine posted:

this thread has enough russian dashcam videos posted in it for it to be evident that humans, inside and outside of cars, are often dumb and reckless

Facebook Aunt posted:

otoh this woman was crossing a road not at a crosswalk, at night, which is specifically a frequent cause of pedestrian fatalities

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/522085503/2016-saw-a-record-increase-in-pedestrian-deaths

quote:

According to the GHSA report, 74 percent of pedestrian fatalities happen at night, and 72 percent of those killed were not crossing at intersections.

should pedestrians have right of way over cars? yes. will walking in front of a car kill you dead? also yes

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Where I live peds have priority on crosswalks (even if they're not *on* it yet) and it's awesome.

This is a great idea except panel trucks (and SUVs/full size pickups to a lesser extent) are allowed to streetside park basically right next to the crosswalk. Pro tip: if you can't see the driver's eyes, they can't see you and maybe you should let that car pass before walking out into the crosswalk at full speed. I say this as a person who spends at least 2x more time walking in an urban area than I do driving in it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This is a great idea except panel trucks (and SUVs/full size pickups to a lesser extent) are allowed to streetside park basically right next to the crosswalk. Pro tip: if you can't see the driver's eyes, they can't see you and maybe you should let that car pass before walking out into the crosswalk at full speed. I say this as a person who spends at least 2x more time walking in an urban area than I do driving in it.

That's a fault with the road design. Here most ped crossings (obviously not all, there are always old & dangerous exceptions) have small cement islands to the left & right of crossings to give better visibility. Now obviously, even if there isn't this layout present it's still 100% on the driver to notice that he he doesn't have LoS when he's supposed to be yielding, and it's on him to slow down preemptively.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Serephina posted:

That's a fault with the road design. Here most ped crossings (obviously not all, there are always old & dangerous exceptions) have small cement islands to the left & right of crossings to give better visibility. Now obviously, even if there isn't this layout present it's still 100% on the driver to notice that he he doesn't have LoS when he's supposed to be yielding, and it's on him to slow down preemptively.

different places have different laws, who knew?

meanwhile, tempe police have made a statement that it's probably the pedestrian's fault

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Exclusive-Tempe-police-chief-says-early-probe-12765481.php

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Yeah, yeah, misloaded pipes ar-WHOA

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

I didn't click the vid but I assume it's because if I saw that dude on the opposite side of the street I'd have to cross and beat him unconscious if it wasn't illegal jaywalking.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

What's the suggested response plan for that- hit it with an artillery strike?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Russians? 99% sure they bang out the dents with a hammer, have a few poor Ivans load them back up, then fire them anyway.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

boner confessor posted:

different places have different laws, who knew?

meanwhile, tempe police have made a statement that it's probably the pedestrian's fault

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Exclusive-Tempe-police-chief-says-early-probe-12765481.php

heart attack and die from not surprised, etc

that said

quote:

“His first alert to the collision was the sound of the collision."

I can only assume this is trying to say "his first warning to the potential for an accident" or something where the pedestrian just wasn't visible at all before she stepped out but that phrasing

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Assign some Grad students to clean it up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I kind of want to see at least some stills from the video, because I'm pretty sure you should be able to see someone walking next to the road unless your headlights are totally inoperable.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jabor posted:

I kind of want to see at least some stills from the video, because I'm pretty sure you should be able to see someone walking next to the road unless you're headlights are totally inoperable.

she was walking perpendicular to the road (crossing it) and the road in question is a divided four lane with a median that has trees, bushes on it etc. and is probably poorly lit

it's not like she was walking along the road and the car had plenty of time to see her, she apparently just walked directly in front of the car which actually happens pretty frequently, intoxicated or distracted pedestrians are involved in thousands of accidents every year

it happened just south of this intersection, look at how much crap is in that median

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+Mill+Ave+%26+E+Curry+Rd,+Tempe,+AZ+85281

quote:

The woman had crossed Mill Avenue from west to east, south of Curry, walking her bicycle, and the vehicle hit her as it was going northbound.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 20, 2018

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Jabor posted:

I kind of want to see at least some stills from the video, because I'm pretty sure you should be able to see someone walking next to the road unless your headlights are totally inoperable.

or unless they are wearing a pattern that the sensors can't recognize or a color similar to the parked car in the background

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

“His first alert to the collision was the sound of the collision."

/looks up startled from Harry Potter movie on iPad

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

We have crosswalks across 35 if not 40 MPH roads here. It is unreasonable and unworkable to slow to 10mph on the off chance there might be a ped. I say this reluctantly because I am that ped, but it's true. Ideally we would have parking standoffs or extended islands everywhere. (We do in places, just not at the crossing I'm thinking of).

E: One thing my city has done is to put in a handful of flashing yellow lights on ped crossing signs but I'm not a fan of those either because they're not true over the road lights but a bunch of LEDs strapped to the top of the sign that the innermost lane can't see anyway if the outer lanes stop.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 20, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Assign some Grad students to clean it up.

:lol:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BgRdMchne posted:

or unless they are wearing a pattern that the sensors can't recognize or a color similar to the parked car in the background

"Car plows into clearly-visible pedestrian without even slowing down because it didn't comprehend that it was a person" is not a great narrative.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BgRdMchne posted:

Aren't the sensors radar-based? That's how my car's backup alarm works, if you're in reverse and a pedestrian's coming from the side it'll let you know well before they're actually physically behind you.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/looks up startled from Harry Potter movie on iPad

snrkhunhwha? ...oh, fuc-

So this is what it looks like during the day

And the car is damaged on the front passenger side

boner confessor posted:

The woman had crossed Mill Avenue from west to east, south of Curry, walking her bicycle, and the vehicle hit her as it was going northbound.

that plus where the car's damaged implies that she had to have at least gotten across the lane the car was in and possibly further, if it wasn't in the far left lane, which means

Jabor posted:

"Car plows into clearly-visible pedestrian without even slowing down because it didn't comprehend that it was a person" is not a great narrative.

Phanatic posted:

Aren't the sensors radar-based? That's how my car's backup alarm works, if you're in reverse and a pedestrian's coming from the side it'll let you know well before they're actually physically behind you.

apparently not if she got across in front of the car and it didn't recognize her as something even with a huge hunk of metal and rubber in her hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

apparently not if she got across in front of the car and it didn't recognize her as something even with a huge hunk of metal and rubber in her hands

this is complete conjecture on my part but i'm guessing if the sensor suite on this car isn't very good for objects 5-10 feet in front of the vehicle, for the same reason that people generally look further ahead in the distance while driving and not at what is immediately in front of them