Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/755614451664056320

please be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i hope to loving god hillary's crew five-tuple checks every drat line of every drat speech at the dnc. it'd be such a typical democrat gently caress up if they got caught and they'd never, ever, ever hear the end of it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Al! posted:

The best moment is the guy who oops too slowed Cruz and called him a fish monster

Well obviously that was really good too, I just think New York Values was more artistic and touching.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For the purposes of "is this news?" I think Klein is right. Junior's speech may be plagiarism but its not his or the Trump Campaign's crime, its Buckley's. At most the fallout is that you shouldn't pay Buckley to write anything because he's a hack who reuses stuff. But you can't really compare it to the Melania thing because they're different issues, really.

And trust me, I was loving the whole "The Trumps copy all their speeches off the internet like a lazy 10th grader" idea too.

Of course Buckley did the Trumps a disservice since now the simple fact that we're talking about it takes away from Junior's speech and extends the Melania story.

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

It seems there's a few things that Trump actually has real, human emotions about, and New York City/Manhattan appears to be one of them.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

He's right but it does reflect badly on Buckley. How pissy he sounds is the funny part.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

sarmhan posted:

Oh look he got snippy:

Maybe I'm crazy, but that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MaxNV posted:

It seems there's a few things that Trump actually has real, human emotions about, and New York City/Manhattan appears to be one of them.

:agreed:

More than just a "my home" emotion.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Well people are certainly still talking about Melania's plagiarism in light of this non-plagiarism or whatever it is so if there was some kind of nth-dimensional intent to this I don't think it's going to play out that way. Quite the opposite actually, it's giving people a reason to continue talking about Melania's speech last night in a negative way rather than focus on much of what else was said tonight.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I just see Buckley as stunningly incompetent coming out of this. As soon as that Melania poo poo started up, he should have been hammering the phones at the Trump campaign to let them know about that part of Jr.'s speech. When you're a speechwriter you have a client and he came down close to loving his client over.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

sarmhan posted:

He's right but it does reflect badly on Buckley. How pissy he sounds is the funny part.
I hope he goes with something like "my words, my choice" or something equally melodramatic and potentially tone-deaf.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MaxNV posted:

lol he's from queens, if you can even call that New York

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

pyrotek posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

It's the common norm with regard to self-plagiarism among speechwriters(skeevy though it may be), but very much an ethics violation among academics. And he's indicated it was knowing. It's not going to effect the campaign, but it may effect Buckley at his day job.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Trump appears to love his family, in the way someone loves their new car.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
Was day 2 as good as day 1? Was Ben Carson's speech as amazing as I'd hope it be?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

lol he's from queens, if you can even call that New York

Is that where Geert Wilders was?

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

that is one tenacious motherfucker

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Prof. Lurker posted:

Was day 2 as good as day 1? Was Ben Carson's speech as amazing as I'd hope it be?

Better. Carson was on some mix of caffeine and cocaine and started ranting about Hillary worshiping Lucifer.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/PizzaPartyBen/status/755594926616739840

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Discendo Vox posted:

but it may effect Buckley at his day job.

You may want to look into George Mason University.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i may fall down, but i get up again, aint nothing gonna keep me down

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Prof. Lurker posted:

Highlights:
Chris Christine holding a Lynch mob for Hillary
Carson calling Democrats devil-worshippers
Frank Buckley being a hack
Zordon Trump appearing on the Jumbotron because he randomly left Cleveland.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Joementum posted:

Or his particular department, Antonin Scalia Law School

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

disjoe posted:

Or his particular department, Antonin Scalia Law School*
*formerly Antonin Scalia School of Law, aka ASSLaw

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah gmu isn't the most prestigious school

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/755617994085175297

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sarmhan posted:

Trump appears to love his family, in the way someone loves their new car.

We are talking about the man who volunteered that he couldn't imagine talking about his grandchildren for more than 2 minutes.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Despera posted:

Yeah gmu isn't the most prestigious school
Neither was Duke when Richard Nixon was there!

I'm not sure what point I'm making!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

For the purposes of "is this news?" I think Klein is right. Junior's speech may be plagiarism but its not his or the Trump Campaign's crime, its Buckley's. At most the fallout is that you shouldn't pay Buckley to write anything because he's a hack who reuses stuff. But you can't really compare it to the Melania thing because they're different issues, really.

And trust me, I was loving the whole "The Trumps copy all their speeches off the internet like a lazy 10th grader" idea too.

Of course Buckley did the Trumps a disservice since now the simple fact that we're talking about it takes away from Junior's speech and extends the Melania story.

That is maybe true for other candidates, but not the guy who has literally said he doesn't have to know anything because he will hire people who do. You can't say that and then blame things on some dumb hack you hired.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/755617805249056768

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Joementum posted:

I know, I know, but I can dream.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Exra Klein's breath plagiarizes the smell of his farts

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

No matter what happens, the GOP will have to live with the fact that Donald J. Trump will be on this list for the rest of history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Republican_Party_presidential_tickets

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What on earth

https://twitter.com/JoeyStyles/status/755238933143908354

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Does he know what party he's in

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/755586639397814272

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Can't wait to hear all the cries of PLAGIARISM PLAGIARISM because Bill Clinton said "we have to help small business owners" or some other super common phrase

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

yeah im sure this wont be a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Well if you think the GOP convention was sparsely populated wait till you see the counter-convention

• Locked thread