Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Speaker of the house: "[Recites bill]"
Stephen A. Smith: (Acts surprised) "To me, that's preposterous. Bicameral legislation, things of that nature."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sports commentators can't be worse than what we have going for us now could it? SAS vs. Bayless arguing on the house floor would be a sight.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

SAS is already giving his takes on best SpongeBob character in the NFL draft and favorite Pokemon so it's only a matter of time before the zapruter film or a list from Epstein's book appears on his whiteboard like a MTG prop on the house floor

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dexo posted:

Just reminds me of this

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448697768311132160

The Multi step process you ask?

Hitting F12/clicking inspect element to view html. Because someone had the SSN's printed as like a hidden ID field in a grid or table or whatever.

The Nova Scotia government tried to say someone was a hacker because they stored everyones info on a site as https://www.foo.com/1/ and he realized you could just change that number to see everyone elses info

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Isentropy posted:

The Nova Scotia government tried to say someone was a hacker because they stored everyones info on a site as https://www.foo.com/1/ and he realized you could just change that number to see everyone elses info

I feel like this type of thing makes up a ton of these prosecutions because the law is written so loosely that it falls under it and companies are lazy and hate being embarrassed.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah AT&T did that with client info a while back.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Peter King is calling it a day

https://twitter.com/peter_king/status/1761987766718455940

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MILWAUKEE - Asked restaurant host:
"God, did you hear about Peter King?"
Host: "No."
Me: "Retired. Ended his column."
Thought he would cry.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hes going to pursue stealing baseballs from children full time.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Going back in time and telling my Page 2-reading 20 year old self that I would end up respecting Peter King way more than Bill Simmons

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
lol. Same though

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/ringerunion/status/1765754024647852315?s=46

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am loving all these recent union wins i've been seeing

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
They managed to get Simmons to agree that each writer only has to watch Boondocks Saints with him once a year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is it weird that I like a lot of the Ringer content but hate Bill Simmons very much?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
"We made major negotiating headway when we brought up the second season of The Wire."

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

i am loving all these recent union wins i've been seeing

Is Labor Having a Moment?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Coco13 posted:

"We made major negotiating headway when we brought up the second season of The Wire."
Bill, you are like Frank Sobotka, clinging to the old ways

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vichy Deadspin is dead

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1767241640014401553?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That sucks, never really read the new Deadspin, but sucks that a union shop and a bunch of people are just losing all of their jobs like that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mcmagic posted:

Is it weird that I like a lot of the Ringer content but hate Bill Simmons very much?

no, simmons has an eye for these kind of things

see also grantland

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Simmons isn't good for much, but he does have an pretty good eye for talent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That deadspin thing sucks, but was there anyone on there that will be missed? I don't read it like I used to, and every once in a while an article floated by that seemed decent but I don't think I can name a single regular writer from that site.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean I know Julie Dicaro from Chicago sports coverage.

But yeah I dunno people in media losing their union job generally sucks even if I don't gently caress with the site.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It feels weird seeing the usual right wing Twitter Barstool Nazis taking a victory lap over this, as if killing off this iteration of Deadspin was anything but a mercy.

After the Will Leitch era of getting the site off the ground, the AJ Daulerio era of overt meanness and the Hogan lawsuit, and then the post-Gawker sale and the whole staff quitting to form Defector, Deadspin was basically a zombie waiting for someone to put two in its head. I don't think anyone liked what it had become and the whole Chiefs kid thing I've only somewhat followed along with probably didn't help any.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 11, 2024

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The sad part about that, in regards to the Barstool stuff is that the bar is consistently being lowered. Quality sports writing is hard to come by and so are opportunities for young writers to get reps. The output of "writing" that barstool vomits out is below subpar so yeah, zombie deadspin dying is still bad. It's a bleak landscape folks!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean there are not a lot of places left period. ESPNs writing has shrunk and most of those people went to The Athletic. SI is dead.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Corny name aside, we have to make sure Defector sticks around.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

soggybagel posted:

The sad part about that, in regards to the Barstool stuff is that the bar is consistently being lowered. Quality sports writing is hard to come by and so are opportunities for young writers to get reps. The output of "writing" that barstool vomits out is below subpar so yeah, zombie deadspin dying is still bad. It's a bleak landscape folks!

Nationally, yes.

For anybody OK with earning a pittance and don't mind living in rural areas, small newspapers are starving for sportswriters with any knowledge of AP style.

As for quality, there is a larger problem, from my experience. Some colleges go for mass media degrees, which don't have nearly enough emphasis on the mechanics of writing. I've had better luck dealing with those with English degrees and no media writing experience than those with mass media degrees for actual quality writing. Plus, since media pays diddly squat, everybody quits within a couple of years before they actually figure out what they're doing.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DildenAnders posted:

Corny name aside, we have to make sure Defector sticks around.

They seem to be doing well and don't have a mandate or desire to try to grow indefinitely leading to stupid decisions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean there are not a lot of places left period. ESPNs writing has shrunk and most of those people went to The Athletic. SI is dead.

The Athletic pared back over the years, now they have some teams covered by 2-3 people but others are only connected to national writers/details. And bringing The Athletic in-house also resulted in the NYTs sports desk being wiped, with people re-allocated or covering topics much differently than before.

The real gutting is from the local levels, local newspapers that used to have multiple people to cover the big local teams - Im thinking of The Oregonian and the Blazers and college teams in the 1990s and 2000s, but thats a pattern repeated everywhere. ESPN, SI, and bigger papers in the major metros in the old days would pull people from the smaller cities or small towns. Those wells drying up mean fewer jobs to support people early on in careers.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
There were over 400k newspaper employees in 2000. There's only about 80k now. Those positions have not by any means all been replaced online.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If there's NPR/PBS for radio/TV, how come there's never been one for print media?

I mean, we all know what the answer really is, but was there ever an effort to start one?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C. Everett Koop posted:

If there's NPR/PBS for radio/TV, how come there's never been one for print media?

I mean, we all know what the answer really is, but was there ever an effort to start one?

Does Voice of America count?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Chicago Public Media has WBEZ, the local NPR affiliate, and the Chicago Sun Times. They bought the paper a year or so ago. Honestly, I think its a good model and I hope it works out. Theyre able to use both media outlets to supplement each other, so it lends to some efficiencies. I dont think they went and hired a bunch of people back or anything though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Print media was still reasonably healthy into the 1990s, which is after the point PBS and NPR was founded. And it's kind of incredible that NPR actually worked out given it's format. There are non-profit newsrooms today, nationally ProPublica does very good work and relies on donations, but the biggest loss has been local news coverage. Ironically given the thread we're in, it's sports coverage that's lasted longest because that pulls eyeballs better than documenting what's happening at local town council meetings or basic reporting on government overreach/local corruption. It also makes me think that a PBS/NPR style reader-supported model wouldn't work that great. There's already the AP and other wire services which provides basic coverage of major news stories and what made PBS/NPR viable were the programs created by the main organization or a large station (e.g. Masterpiece Theater, Nova, All Things Considered, Car Talk) and paid for by licensing them to run on the local stations. That doesn't work if your remit is mostly local sports and news that you have to hire reporters to cover yourself.

Something like 7%-10% of all newspaper reporters now work at the NYTimes. Now, the Times has plenty of problems but they do still try to cover most subjects on a global basis... and it's a real fuckin' problem when they're basically the only major newspaper (or news magazine! remember those?!) left that covers everything given their own faults and parochialism. It was less an issue when you had not only second line papers like the WaPo, LA Times, and Chicago Tribune putting out good journalism but lots of it on lots of topics... but tertiary newspapers like the New Orleans Times-Picayune or Cleveland Plain Dealer having wide coverage of their state (and world, those papers had international bureaus at one point!). The Plain Dealer doesn't even have a Columbus bureau anymore!

What's especially dumb is that newspapers that were basically profitable even if shrinking in market share got gobbled up by Gannett and Gannett's successors to be cored out so finance bros could do coke off of increasingly expensive prostitutes on increasingly large yachts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

People always want the cynical answer instead of the "no one wants out of date news made out of something they are just going to throw away."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Except Print media was/is still plenty profitable, I say this as someone who frequently talks with someone who was in sales and finance for a moderately sized local city newspaper.

Sales and subscriptions didn't start going down, until new ownership/management came in and wanted to maximize profits and started cutting reporters and local coverage. So then yeah the information became less relevant as they just use more national news services with maybe like a few people covering local stuff. And once people stopped subscribing classifieds and other advertisements and money makers crumbled and then they just cut more and more and then quality went down and they lost more and it's a failure cascade simply because leeches at the top weren't happy enough with a successful paper that turned a profit, but not enough of a profit for the ownership group to afford more yachts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sash! posted:

People always want the cynical answer instead of the "no one wants out of date news made out of something they are just going to throw away."

I have a wood stove so I want newspapers but I don't really care what's printed on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lockback posted:

I have a wood stove so I want newspapers but I don't really care what's printed on it.

Just use the phone book.