Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

CPL593H posted:

The US post office is extremely hosed right now so it will be a long time before you get packages in the mail. I have two different records in limbo right now, one of which the post office hasn't even scanned yet. The seller sent it out over three weeks ago. This is what they're dealing with:

But one way to look at it is when you can finally get to listen to the record it will feel very authentic because it will be 2071.

Totally. I've seen that picture too, and I understand everything is pretty hosed. I just politely inquired about the tracking number.
I did get my White Stripes Vault last week though, so that was very exciting! I'll try and post pics of that one in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

no broccoli please posted:

Totally. I've seen that picture too, and I understand everything is pretty hosed. I just politely inquired about the tracking number.
I did get my White Stripes Vault last week though, so that was very exciting! I'll try and post pics of that one in a bit.

Sometimes poo poo will show up. It's really a mixed bag. It's probably go to do with regions because stuff I have coming from the west coast is in Narnia somewhere but stuff I sent or received from within Massachusetts (where I lived) showed up right away. I also ordered a pair of pants online and they got here in three days because they came from Connecticut. Imagine loving up a whole postal system to rig an election and you still loving lose.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

In my experience media mail is always pretty slow this time of year. I had to inquire about a record that got lost in the shuffle a month ago due to an error on the store side. Now it has "shipped" but no movement going on two weeks. The rep from Plaid Room says they are sending out about 500 packages a day and all are pretty heavily delayed. Sucks because usually the longer a record is in the system the more likely it is to be hosed.

I also sold some stuff on Ebay. The media mail/normal shipping is pretty slow. ( I usually try not to sell any stuff around this time because I don't want to deal with people disappointed in the shipping speed.) Priority seems to still be going through ok. All my xmas cards were delivered pretty fast though.

Fake edit: Just checked my tracking and the record is moving. Should be here a little after Christmas and it was shipped on the 3rd.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

In my experience media mail is always pretty slow this time of year. I had to inquire about a record that got lost in the shuffle a month ago due to an error on the store side. Now it has "shipped" but no movement going on two weeks. The rep from Plaid Room says they are sending out about 500 packages a day and all are pretty heavily delayed. Sucks because usually the longer a record is in the system the more likely it is to be hosed.

I also sold some stuff on Ebay. The media mail/normal shipping is pretty slow. ( I usually try not to sell any stuff around this time because I don't want to deal with people disappointed in the shipping speed.) Priority seems to still be going through ok. All my xmas cards were delivered pretty fast though.

Fake edit: Just checked my tracking and the record is moving. Should be here a little after Christmas and it was shipped on the 3rd.

A guy I bought a record from on ebay told me he'd just give me a refund if it never shows up. But after seeing that picture my first thought was "RIP records". I did actually have a few things get lost in the mail already. I need some new clothes but I've decided not to order anything until at least mid-January.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’m not shipping my friends’ gifts out until January expressly because of this. I can’t afford to replace the stuff that’s replaceable and the rest is irreplaceable.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

OH NEVER MIND
Apparently it showed up on Thursday.
As I was taking my Vault stuff out of its box to post a picture here, I found out my wife sneakily tucked it in with those. I've sent a followup email to Milan telling them it's all good. One of the corners got bent a bit through the whole bottom right side but it doesn't affect the records at all, I can live with it.
Ok. 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Good fuckin' month for records.

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 20, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

OH NEVER MIND
Apparently it showed up on Thursday.
As I was taking my Vault stuff out of its box to post a picture here, I found out my wife sneakily tucked it in with those. I've sent a followup email to Milan telling them it's all good. One of the corners got bent a bit through the whole bottom right side but it doesn't affect the records at all, I can live with it.
Ok. 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Good fuckin' month for records.

Some good looking photos

Also i would absolutely demand a replacement. I saw the flimsy loving mailer Milan used, surprised mine wasn’t damaged.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Maybe I'll email em and see what they offer if anything.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh drat that’s a brutal bend

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

dorium posted:

Oh drat that’s a brutal bend

Yeah, I sent em an email with that picture. We'll see how it goes.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

(pic)

At least you didn't gently caress up with the scissors when opening and put an inch long white scratch in the top right corner like me. And yeah shipping, eugh. I got all sorts of poo poo floating from here to there and there to here and it is somewhat random as to who is hit hardest. I can't get things between Rochester and Buffalo timely even. 8 days for one item and 10+ so far between two cities that are 90 minutes apart.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I got you beat. One record, from a seller 35 minutes by car from my apartment. 7 days in circulation.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm just hoping that my copies of Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance and The Smiths - Meat is Murder haven't been crushed by the mountain of other poo poo that's almost certainly been thrown on them.

dorium posted:

I got you beat. One record, from a seller 35 minutes by car from my apartment. 7 days in circulation.

About a month or two I ordered something from the UK and it got here in two or three days and I still have no idea how that was even possible. Especially since the shipping was surprisingly cheap. Granted it's a small zine type thing. But I still can't believe it.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 20, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

About a month or two I ordered something from the UK and it got here in two or three days and I still have no idea how that was even possible. Especially since the shipping was surprisingly cheap. Granted it's a small zine type thing. But I still can't believe it.

That also happened to me a couple months ago. Bought an album from Italy on ebay and it arrived in 5 days. I was astonished. I've had albums sit in that label created to actually shipping limbo in the US for longer periods of time.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

The US post office is extremely hosed right now so it will be a long time before you get packages in the mail. I have two different records in limbo right now, one of which the post office hasn't even scanned yet. The seller sent it out over three weeks ago. This is what they're dealing with:

But one way to look at it is when you can finally get to listen to the record it will feel very authentic because it will be 2071.
Thanks GOP

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah I ordered something from Japan and got it in just under a week. I guess that's the one circumstance in which DHL doesn't suck. None of my crap spinning around in the mail is actually records, so I don't have to worry about them being crushed. Especially since I was too slow/plain rear end forgot and missed out on the orange color variant of McCartney III. Oh well I'll just grab a normal color later.

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

June 2017. Found a copy of Legal Man for my friend in Brooklyn’s birthday. Saw that the eBay seller was from my same city! Sent a message, can we meet? Reply: I don’t like doing negotiations. Replied: Not looking to negotiate, in fact I’ll give you the shipping charge, I just want to pick it up in person. Response: I don’t like meeting people.

So he takes it to the post office, it goes 200 miles round trip to the sorting facility in the neighbouring state, comes back to Eau Claire 2 days later.

When I look at his address on the return label, I see he’s about 4 blocks away.

He is at bottom. PO at top. I was the dot. Dude had to drive by my damned house to mail it.

I, uh, “win”

Postscript: In 2019 basically the same thing happened with a Steelbook I bought off eBay. Guy runs his business out of a building a mile away, in which I’ve been dozens of times. Thankfully it made the journey without sustaining damage

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

Thanks GOP

I feel really bad for the people who have to deal with that nightmare.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I wonder if they're going to do another run of those Bebop LPs. I'd love to get one.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If you’re not picky on color, there are still exclusive store variants being announced. Here’s one from TTL for example.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder if they're going to do another run of those Bebop LPs. I'd love to get one.

There will be plenty of them floating around retail stores for a while.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I was surprised by the number of colored releases of Bebop, but ended up buying the black release. Great sounding release and the pressing is very good and clean.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I was surprised by the number of colored releases of Bebop, but ended up buying the black release. Great sounding release and the pressing is very good and clean.

It doesn't feel right to listen to jazz music on anything but regular old black vinyl.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

It doesn't feel right to listen to jazz music on anything but regular old black vinyl.

Counterpoint:

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
My shocking best was ordering Dog Man Star on vinyl before any of the reissues came out. We had only lived in London for about 5 months at that point and I bought it from Discogs on a Friday night and it arrived Saturday by noon. It freaked me out as that had never happened in the US nor has it happened since (and now we're back in the US, I don't expect it to), but Royal Post in the UK was great (and usually when we order from the UK it never takes very long to get to us here)... as for delays - don't think I've ever had anything lost in the post but it has stretched into months from a direct seller before...

CPL593H posted:

I'm just hoping that my copies of Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance and The Smiths - Meat is Murder haven't been crushed by the mountain of other poo poo that's almost certainly been thrown on them.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

my uDiscover shipment just arrived and surprisingly it had the Rammstein - Herzeleid XXV anniversary album, what a steal for $35 + Jimmy Eat World

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I never knew Rammstein was so gay. Is the actual music that gay and does the gayness come through the music if you don't speak the language or should I not bother?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

By way of an answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVKy35L7MM

e: may be genuinely :nws: in the original sense

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone have recommendations for alphabetical organizers for a vinyl collection? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TunePhonik-Horizontal-Wooden-Organizers-Dividers/dp/B0749Y66BF/?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I just bought some blank ones, and put my own vinyl letters on them, which ended up way cheaper than anything pre-made:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VLEZTE6/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Y6UURY

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
i would hot glue card stock to a piece of cardboard before i'd pay those prices

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

onefish posted:

Anyone have recommendations for alphabetical organizers for a vinyl collection? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TunePhonik-Horizontal-Wooden-Organizers-Dividers/dp/B0749Y66BF/?

esperantinc posted:

I just bought some blank ones, and put my own vinyl letters on them, which ended up way cheaper than anything pre-made:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VLEZTE6/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Y6UURY

Yeah. I went this route. Used the label maker at work or just sharpie. I made some wooden ones for genres but they do eat up space if you have a bunch.

Giga Gaia posted:

i would hot glue card stock to a piece of cardboard before i'd pay those prices

Why bother with the card stock. Just write directly on the cardboard. I tried this but the cardboard was flimsy and got bent/trashed with thumbing through.

https://www.signoutfitters.com/Corr...QhoCo5AQAvD_BwE

I got some sheets of corrugated plastic and made some crate dividers that held up better than cardboard. Again just sharpied the label.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I went this route. Used the label maker at work or just sharpie. I made some wooden ones for genres but they do eat up space if you have a bunch.

Why bother with the card stock. Just write directly on the cardboard. I tried this but the cardboard was flimsy and got bent/trashed with thumbing through.

https://www.signoutfitters.com/Corr...QhoCo5AQAvD_BwE

I got some sheets of corrugated plastic and made some crate dividers that held up better than cardboard. Again just sharpied the label.

Can you elaborate on your process, and post some photos of the finished dividers? I’d like to enjoy the benefit of your experience and knowledge and apply it to my own life and that of my friends.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

I got a rerelease of Johnny Osbourne’s Nightfall in the mail today and mine has a bend just as bad. So that’s one for two from ordering from TTL.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Can you elaborate on your process, and post some photos of the finished dividers? I’d like to enjoy the benefit of your experience and knowledge and apply it to my own life and that of my friends.

Divider with printed label

Sheet of plywood from local wood store. Crappy saw unsuited for the task. Sandpaper and a sharpie

Large sheet of corrugated plastic cut into 13x12 pieces. Sharpie. These work well in my floor crates.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Divider with printed label

Sheet of plywood from local wood store. Crappy saw unsuited for the task. Sandpaper and a sharpie

Large sheet of corrugated plastic cut into 13x12 pieces. Sharpie. These work well in my floor crates.

The tab is one of the things I was deeply concerned about. I like your decorative flair. Thank you for the tutorial :)

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

sporklift posted:

so it sticks out from the rest of the records, i suppose. tbh if i ever own enough records that i need alphabet labels, its time to offload.

I have left over cardboard shipping liners that i put in between every 15 or 20 albums on my shelves because i read that was a good idea once. never had an issue with them those getting crushed

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I bought a bunch of comic book dividers. They were much cheaper than vinyl dividers and they work fine on my shelves.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

anyone have any sub $100 recommended full wash cleaning kits? I've noticed a lot of the new records I've been getting lately have been the dirtiest things ever and my cheap kit isn't cutting it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My kitty desperately wants to try his hand at some scratching it seems.