Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So who jumped in and took it for a drive anyhow?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:bahgawd: I BROUGHT MY CAR IN FOR A WIPER REPAIR AND YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO SCAM ME

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

:bahgawd: I BROUGHT MY CAR IN FOR A WIPER REPAIR AND YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO SCAM ME

YOU GUYS TRIED TO SCAM ME LAST WEEK AND YOU MUSTVE BROKE IT WHEN YOU HAD IT SINCE THE WHEEL CAME OFF YESTERDAY :bahgawd:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hey, I just had my tansmission lines replaced last week!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PCOS Bill posted:

So who jumped in and took it for a drive anyhow?

The person that needed eighteen warnings not to drive the vehicle, but only got seventeen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

... why?

I need to see this car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Darchangel posted:

... why?

I need to see this car.

I bet it doesn't even look that bad from the outside. "I don't believe it! I can't see anything!"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I want to know what kind of car it is.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

CharlesM posted:

I want to know what kind of car it is.

My moneys on one of these:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It is almost certain to be a Chrysler cloud car.

Pictured: Flat Rate Hell

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Imagining getting Swarovski crystals to the loving face in the event of an airbag deployment.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

quote:

Customer drive in a 99 Isuzu Rodeo with a complaint the driver wiper doesn't move and would like a general check out. The frame literally had two rust holes large enough to put your hand through, the floor pan was rusting out, the brake lines were deteriorating, and the list goes on.
When we told the customer about all this, he asked, "what will the wiper cost to fix?" Needless to say we won't be fixing his vehicle, but he did drive it out, and told us he would be taking his business elsewhere...

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

`Nemesis posted:

quote:

Customer drive in a 99 Isuzu Rodeo with a complaint the driver wiper doesn't move and would like a general check out. The frame literally had two rust holes large enough to put your hand through, the floor pan was rusting out, the brake lines were deteriorating, and the list goes on.
When we told the customer about all this, he asked, "what will the wiper cost to fix?" Needless to say we won't be fixing his vehicle, but he did drive it out, and told us he would be taking his business elsewhere...

I can't help but twitch in frustration every time I have to hear a similar question when I get done telling a customer their front end is falling apart. "You can still fix my wheel alignment, right? That's all I came here for!"

:shepicide:

And on a different note, some kind of Hum job from my social media feed:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Root Bear posted:

And on a different note, some kind of Hum job from my social media feed:

Well thank goodness for the central tire inflation system.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that a Domino's delivery car placard on top of that Hummer?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you get quoted a few grand in repairs on a lovely car, it's not like you are going to get it fixed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

smackfu posted:

If you get quoted a few grand in repairs on a lovely car, it's not like you are going to get it fixed.

Yeah, but the thing about "drive it until it falls apart" is that you stop driving it when it falls apart.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Maybe this is a state by state thing but if a car is that bad, like "holy poo poo this will fail catastrophically at any moment" bad, can you call the cops or something if they just drive off?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

This actually exists? There really are no bounds for separating idiots from their money.

http://www.rnrwheels.com/used-tires/

quote:

Rental Tires: A Viable Alternative to Used Tires

When all is said and done, used tires are just too unreliable. Consumers who want the reliability and safety that comes with a new set of wheels can find peace of mind in rental wheels and tires. Tire rental offers several unique and compelling advantages:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Unique and compelling features such as paying double for them.

But it's easy for me to say that as I can afford new tires, or at least use a credit card with an acceptable interest rate. Life is a lot tougher when you're cash strapped and have no access to affordable credit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

`Nemesis posted:

It's a mix between idiots and poor people. Some people don't have the cash to pay entirely up front.

http://jalopnik.com/broke-rear end-americans-are-getting-screwed-on-rental-tires-512270536

There are a shitload of trucks and ugly CUV things driving around here with nearly bald tires. People buy them and don't really account for the 20" 265 wide tires costing north of $800 when its time to replace them, so they run them as long as possible. When winter comes this results in a lot of trucks in the ditch.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Code Jockey posted:

Maybe this is a state by state thing but if a car is that bad, like "holy poo poo this will fail catastrophically at any moment" bad, can you call the cops or something if they just drive off?

In Florida all we can do is force them to sign a waiver saying "Hey dipshit you acknowledge that we told you your poo poo's hosed and you're too cheap to fix it, don't come trying to pin it on us when your deathtrap kills someone out on the road."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

`Nemesis posted:

Unique and compelling features such as paying double for them.

But it's easy for me to say that as I can afford new tires, or at least use a credit card with an acceptable interest rate. Life is a lot tougher when you're cash strapped and have no access to affordable credit.

I actually got money back by using my Discount tire credit card. Along with 9 months 0 interest.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh man Focus/Fiesta ST forums are pretty funny sometimes:

quote:

Mountune Focus ST Short Throw Shift Arm Installation

Ten hours and a beat up shift arm and it's done. In a word installation went poorly.

For the Mountune arm you really do have to remove the stock shift arm because the Mountune part is replacing it. So I really did have to get that roll pin out that I had trouble with and ended up ignoring during the Cobb installation.

The Mountune kit comes with a pin removal tool (punch) and it's smaller than the pin. This fact will become important later. I used the punch to hammer out the pin and it took a lot of force and a lot of time. Probably an hour of straight hammering but I got the pin out.

At this point I hammered the pin to the front side of the Mountune arm, put the arm in the car, aligned it and started hammering the pin though. Again it took a lot of force.

I got the pin about half way in and when I stopped to take a short break I realized the roll pin had deformed on the end I was hammering It was so flattened that that was no way it was going all the way though.

So I have the arm installed and the pin only holding on one of the two points it's supposed to hold. This means that there is a good possibility of it shearing at some point. I can't push the pin though because it won't fit now and that means I can't push it out like I did originally.

The battery box came out so the pin could be backed out. I figured I'd just get a new pin and try again.

More hammering to push the pin out using the punch and remember how I said it's smaller than the pin... While the punch went inside the pin. This did two things. It expanded the pin making it hold tighter. It also, pushed one of the inside layers out of the pin but didn't move the top layer. Again, it made it even tighter.

For those who haven't seen the roll pin it looks like a Hostes Ho Hos. It's one piece of metal that's rolled over itself so there are three layers with a hole in the middle.

The punch just pushed out the inner layer and expanded the upper layer so it held tighter. I know it's was held tighter because I switched to the bolt the Cobb kit came with for pushing out the pin which is a bit larger than the punch. It didn't budge.

Hammering wasn't working so the next idea was to try a C clamp to push the pin out. On one side goes the bolt on the side with the pin a socket was put over the pin so it would go into the socket as the socket is pressing around the pin. The bolt ended up bending instead of pushing out the pin...

Next idea try pulling it out from the front. Vice grips and screw drivers didn't get anywhere. Well, not anywhere it did eat though the top layer of the pin. So it looked better.

Final idea, drill out the pin. Don't do this it sounds like a good idea but it isn't. I really isn't. An air drill was used so it had enough power. It did go into the center of the pin and began drilling it out. It did heat up and start trowing little flaming bit out. Also, as it turns out the pin is really hard. Harder than material around it. So drilling out the pin in hopes that it would weaken and shear isn't going to happen.

Back to the C clamps. At this point I had gotten a stronger bolt. Slowly, oh so slowly it came out. It did end up ruining the clamp and it did eat though the front of the shift arm around the roll pin.

The pin at this point is throughly destroyed. I used a class 10.9 M6 bolt to attach the arm instead of the roll pin. The M6 is very close in size to the roll pin. An M7 is too large by the way. There is some play with the bolt which is not present with the roll pin. As far as shifting is concerned I don't see a difference.

FYI, I did drive the car with the roll pin half in and with the bolt. I couldn't tell a difference between the two.

My advice to anyone is if the roll pin doesn't come out easily, don't put it back in. Either get a new one or try something else.

:stare:

edit: VVV I guess the OP had enough shame not to photographically document his idiocy.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 27, 2016

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

fyodor posted:

My god.... pictures??

Olivil fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 27, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a pretty ratty corvette you got there!

Wait...

Oh.

The trunk is fake and it's an automatic non-turbo, of course. Owner is about fifty.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Only "coincidentally" looks like blood movement across a painted surface.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fyodor posted:

edit: VVV I guess the OP had enough shame not to photographically document his idiocy.

Well, in their defense, that roll pin was impossible for me to get out as well. My body builder friend couldn't get it out either. I had his mechanic friend try and he got it in 3-5 strikes. Apparently you need to know how to use a hammer properly.

But I didn't go apeshit crazy on it with drills and clamps, or drive it halfway installed, so there is that.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
What is this roll pin holding together? I'm completely lost here because I can't imagine where it would need to be.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

th vwls hv scpd posted:

What is this roll pin holding together? I'm completely lost here because I can't imagine where it would need to be.

Sounds like it's holding the shift lever onto the transmission.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I was in the same boat as you so I looked it up.

Oh.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
That is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Those pieces of metal on that assembly are there for shift feel correct? Can't seem to figure out what other purpose they have.

Nothing beats the complexity of the VW Jetta/Golf shifter assembly. That one was (still is?) a work of over complicated art.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have no earthly idea. It looks stupid as gently caress. Gimmie a tried and true two cable setup with bushings and a pivot ball please.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Well thank goodness for the central tire inflation system.

Which is likely how the tires got this low to begin with.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

https://youtu.be/QYtVYwdaSD8

Saw this on my way home for lunch today. Please mute, I forgot that it recorded sound to (I don't record poo poo very often). Oil leak? It started belching blue smoke when the light turned green.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have no earthly idea. It looks stupid as gently caress. Gimmie a tried and true two cable setup with bushings and a pivot ball please.

It reduces the shift throw by 25% (Mountune $200) or 30-40% (Cobb $100) without having to pay for an entirely new shifter assembly which reduces throw by 18% ($400). The linkage to the shift plate is a pivot ball. :B

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 27, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The aftermarket arms are similar in shape to the stock one. I think they were remarking that they don't understand the point of the design in the first place. I'm not savvy enough to comment either way. The shifter linkage wasn't a concern of mine when I bought the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Night Danger Moose posted:

https://youtu.be/QYtVYwdaSD8

Saw this on my way home for lunch today. Please mute, I forgot that it recorded sound to (I don't record poo poo very often). Oil leak? It started belching blue smoke when the light turned green.

I'd say that the oil control rings are toasty.