Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you know a better way to get more trans astronauts I'd like to hear it.

I live in Ohio, and my freeway exit has a giant orange sign declaring the street Trans Blvd.

Sadly, it’s actually Transportation boulevard, because the department of transportation is on the street. But there’s no way that someone did that abbreviation accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apparently there's a Sex and the City reboot, and the first episode features a Peleton bike and one of their actual instructors appearing in the scene. While Peleton didn't give them the bike as product placement, they knew it would be there and HBO paid for it themselves. Well, turns out Mr. Big dies of a heart attack while using the bike and HBO kept that a secret so spoilers wouldn't get leaked. Peleton stocks dropped as a result :laffo:

Yeah, it's ridiculous that people would have that kind of reaction to a fictional TV show, and the show was like 50% about brand obsession, but also maybe just come up with a fictional brand if the first time it appears is to kill someone off?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Peletpn just cannot win in the advertising game

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When you think cardio, think Peleton

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, it's ridiculous that people would have that kind of reaction to a fictional TV show, and the show was like 50% about brand obsession, but also maybe just come up with a fictional brand if the first time it appears is to kill someone off?

You have to admit it's much funnier this way.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Picnic Princess posted:

Apparently there's a Sex and the City reboot, and the first episode features a Peleton bike and one of their actual instructors appearing in the scene. While Peleton didn't give them the bike as product placement, they knew it would be there and HBO paid for it themselves. Well, turns out Mr. Big dies of a heart attack while using the bike and HBO kept that a secret so spoilers wouldn't get leaked. Peleton stocks dropped as a result :laffo:

But peloton really did make products to kill people off.
It's just that it was their treadmill and it only killed small children.
Luckily they added an auto-shutoff safety feature to stop it from doing that and you only had to pay a small monthly fee to keep that safety feature working!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SpacePig posted:

You have to admit it's much funnier this way.

Oh, it definitely is. I don't like the show or the bike, so it's extremely *chef's kiss*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you know a better way to get more trans astronauts I'd like to hear it.

Given how hard astronauts work to get as far away from Ohio as they can, this doesn't sound like the way to do it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

There was some show I can’t remember the name of that had a crock pot catch on fire and burn a house down and people flipped out started throwing their crock pots away as a result. Both the maker of the crock pot and the director of the show had to come out and make a statement about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

There was some show I can’t remember the name of that had a crock pot catch on fire and burn a house down and people flipped out started throwing their crock pots away as a result. Both the maker of the crock pot and the director of the show had to come out and make a statement about it.

IIRC that was This is Us.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fun fact, Apple has a stipulation for when they provide iphones to movies that villains can't use them. You can figure out who the killer is in Knives Out this way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fun fact, Apple has a stipulation for when they provide iphones to movies that villains can't use them. You can figure out who the killer is in Knives Out this way.

Godamnit why did you do this to me.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is only if they provide them as part of a consideration though - if the studio buys them it’s fair game. So you have to work that out too!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

This is only if they provide them as part of a consideration though - if the studio buys them it’s fair game. So you have to work that out too!

You're not gonna put a named, real product in a film without approval in some form in this day and age.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

You're not gonna put a named, real product in a film without approval in some form in this day and age.

Hbo did that with peloton

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Hbo did that with peloton

According to what I read, Peloton agreed to be in the show, but didn't get full details from HBO on how the product would be featured. I've worked with multiple shows before looking to use actual products, and I could believe Peloton was too stupid to ask the important follow up of "we need a final script to read to see the product use context" because if you don't ask but do give approval they'll go ahead with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

According to what I read, Peloton agreed to be in the show, but didn't get full details from HBO on how the product would be featured. I've worked with multiple shows before looking to use actual products, and I could believe Peloton was too stupid to ask the important follow up of "we need a final script to read to see the product use context" because if you don't ask but do give approval they'll go ahead with it.

quote:

"HBO procured the Peloton Bike on their own," Kelly said. "Peloton was aware that a Bike would be used in the episode and that Jess King would be portraying a fictional Peloton instructor."

it reads to me like HBO was going to do it anyway because why else would they have bought a Peloton

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Len posted:

it reads to me like HBO was going to do it anyway because why else would they have bought a Peloton

Maybe a middle ground, “hey we’re gonna use this, let us know if you care” message was sent, and Pelaton assumed it would be fine. Suits HBO because they aren’t aiming to do a whole contracted placement thing and just want to do it for free (minus the cost of the bike), and Pelaton, well, maybe they’re just dumb?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
No publicity is bad publicity.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I wonder how much of it was triggered by Peloton and dies/kills popping up in social media. I believe the big firms have bots that search social media for these sorts of leads.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.tmz.com/2021/12/12/popeyes-philadelphia-sign-no-homeless/

POPEYES PHILLY FRANCHISE BANS HOMELESS FROM RESTAURANT
... Mgr Says Just Following Regulations

"A Popeyes franchise in Philly has a pretty awful solution to the homeless crisis ... ban them from the store.

The sign is front and center inside the fast-food joint, which reads in big block letters, "NO HOMELESS PEOPLE ALLOWED INSIDE THE STORE."

And the manager says;

"A manager at Popeyes tells us the sign was only put up after getting approval from higher-ups, and it's an attempt to address some issues they've had with homeless patrons.

Dayshon Aaron Sields says the restaurant staff does let homeless people come in to sit and warm up, and will even sometimes give them food, but he says they often come in without face masks ... which they can't allow, per Philly's mandate for all restaurants. Of course, one could say that's a problem with all customers ... regardless of their living situation.

Sields also tells us another reason for the sign is they don't want to have to call cops on homeless people who "come in and trash the store." He adds ... they "understand there is a problem with people being homeless, and do not want to add to the problem, but also have a business to run and rules and regulations they have to follow."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is Philly the type of place where this will negatively affect their business?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In fairness to Peloton, I feel like the vast majority of product placements don't kill a beloved main character, so if I were organizing that deal I wouldn't think to ask the question.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Popeye's thing is dumb and awful, but it would also be cool if food service workers weren't the first line of care of the people who society has failed completely.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So Peloton and Ryan Reynolds fired back with an ad staring Chris Noth and Jess King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgEHT_m8Qf4

It's the second Peloton related ad he's done. This was in response to Peloton's terrible Christmas ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayD-4nMnB44

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

In fairness to Peloton, I feel like the vast majority of product placements don't kill a beloved main character, so if I were organizing that deal I wouldn't think to ask the question.

To be honest, I think HBO gambled on that. This whole story reads like Peloton did absolutely no due diligence on how it would be used before going "ok, yeah, sure" because if they had any evidence of being misled they'd be all over it.

Peloton also should have expected it because with the exception of Portlandia all the programs/films I worked with that wanted a signoff that they could use our product without negotiating money or goods to be excha ged were planning to use them in dire ways and hoping the "free no negotiation" would override our brains

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think it's fairly clear they got the bike, told the company 'hey, we got a bike and are gonna use it in Sex in the City' and whoever they told that assumed 'oh, yea, one of the women's going to do some biking on it or make a comment about a hot instructor or something, whatever'.

My favorite thing was the in house Peloton doctor coming out to do their own post-mortem on Mr Big, to the point where they said 'actually a Peloton likely increased his lifespan, maybe he had a family history of heart issues and he sure liked cigars...'

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok so I'm just really curious, this is all I've gathered through cultural osmosis. I take it that Carrie marries Mr. Big, who's basically a 90s era Trump, in the finale of the original show, and him dying in the revival is what kicks off them going back to the city for more sex. But what I want to know, did she call her husband Mr. Big, rather than by his first name? Was it like Buck Strickland calling his wife Ms. Liz in King of the Hill?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok so I'm just really curious, this is all I've gathered through cultural osmosis. I take it that Carrie marries Mr. Big, who's basically a 90s era Trump, in the finale of the original show, and him dying in the revival is what kicks off them going back to the city for more sex. But what I want to know, did she call her husband Mr. Big, rather than by his first name? Was it like Buck Strickland calling his wife Ms. Liz in King of the Hill?

she calls him Big as a pet name, they called him that because he indeed was a 90's go go mogul type and on her blog she didn't want to reveal him I think? The running joke was whenever she introduced him properly it'd get cut off or hidden somehow so the viewer never heard it until the finale.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Is Philly the type of place where this will negatively affect their business?
That entire franchise caters to the poorest people, and most locations are in very bad neighborhoods to begin with. No one would bat an eye

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Huh. I always presumed Mr. Big was a dick size thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nitrox posted:

That entire franchise caters to the poorest people, and most locations are in very bad neighborhoods to begin with. No one would bat an eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwXXzyiCvOY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

oh I'm positive they've made that joke too, can't remember any off the dome but it must have come up

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm guessing Peloton was in on it.
https://twitter.com/onepeloton/status/1470132497170239496?t=5kwtO3lDfPMJgysZQD2YVw&s=19

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

EL BROMANCE posted:

yeah wasnt sex and the city the one that caused controversy because a character smokes marijuana *gasp* to be more comfortable with someone’s magnum dong

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Rockman Reserve posted:

yeah wasnt sex and the city the one that caused controversy because a character smokes marijuana *gasp* to be more comfortable with someone’s magnum dong

I didn't remember that bit at all but looking up the script for the episode ("Ex and the City") Samantha does indeed take a hit of "Hawaiian Gold" before attempting sex with a guy she ends up referring to as "Mr. Too Big". Frankly the real dumb marketing move behind the reboot is them not being able to bring back Kim Cattrall but going ahead with it anyway

I'm pretty sure Big's nickname was supposed to be short for the phrase "big shot" or like, maybe a reference to Mr. Big Stuff, but it prooobably could've been a double entendre of sorts? FWIW his real name is revealed to be "John" in the very last episode of the original series :shrug:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Nitrox posted:

:chloe:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Why shouldn’t you be able to film your own property without permission from the manufacturer? How far does this go? Would it be a problem if all the good guys use Delta shower valves and all the bad guys use Makita power drills?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Henry II gave his favourite farter an estate in exchange for a yearly performance at his court

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_the_Farter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mlnhd posted:

Why shouldn’t you be able to film your own property without permission from the manufacturer? How far does this go? Would it be a problem if all the good guys use Delta shower valves and all the bad guys use Makita power drills?

It's trademark law. Let's pretend for a moment that you have a small business making cookies. Would you be happy if a television show came along and did an episode where minhd's cookies give everybody food poisoning and they keep talking about how your cookies are awful and made everybody puke?

Having a trademark gives you a lot of control in how your brand is represented. People talking about their actual experiences aren't affected (though that hasn't stopped large companies from threatening legal action against people who talk poo poo about them), but something like a television production is. If Peloton was bothered by how their product would be shown on HBO, then that guy would be riding a Super Cycle or something like that. This why a lot of programs cover up logos or use fake brands. There's a lot of money in product placement, though, so these days you get a lot more real products turning up on shows.

Was it 24 where all the good guys used Apple products and you knew someone was a villain because they had a non-branded, clearly Android phone?