Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Almost forgot, I played a game recently! 4,000 point Necron vs Tau game as a last hurrah before they get a codex. Used the Open War cards and ended up with a weird deployment.

Our objective was The Comet, so after two turns of exchanging fire the objective lands on the table. Fortunately it landed by my 20 strong Warriors squad and their Cryptek babysitter. End of turn 5, he wasn't able to move them off the objective, securing me the win!

All T'a"u vs. Necron and T'a"u vs. Tyranid games should start with the players being forced to role-play the Water Caste ambassador getting his poo poo pushed-in when they roll out the welcome mat for the newly-discovered race.

(After all: a xeno is just a chemically castrated slave race ally you haven't met!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Has anyone reverse engineered a ballpark point cost for the pupper knights?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
TBF it depends on the Necron lord, if they met Trazyn they'd probably just steal the ambassador and then offer something else for an alliance with the Tau :v:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

mango sentinel posted:

I'd guess about ~300-350 with all their equipment.

VVVedit: yeah they're way smaller than I was expecting, too.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 5, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mango sentinel posted:

My guess is $65, since they look like they're the same size as the Retributor. Worst-case, $75

e: Just realized you meant points cost. Derp

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 5, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Necrons are probably the most willing to actually talk to the Tau, if only to demand their surrender.

Chaos, Nids, Orks, and most Eldar dont have that courtesy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'd guess about ~300-350 with all their equipment.

VVVedit: yeah they're way smaller than I was expecting, too.

Nah that's only 100pts less than a Knight.

I'm betting 200-250 judging by its armaments and overall size.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Someone said they'd be around 160-180 if the two sides are roughly the same point cost, which puts in in Dreadnought power level realm.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Astraeus finished! This was a bit of a slog, I pre-ordered it when it released and built it fairly quickly, but then had it sitting around primed and untouched for a few months. I'm not a fan of the base, its slightly angled so you can rotate it to get a different angle, but I'd really prefer if it was just flat. I threw the biggest magnets I had in there to hold it together, but they're not really quite strong enough. Oh well, its functional enough.

I thought this thing looked dumb when they first posted it, but man what an awesome model. The skulls along the main gun are a nice touch. *italian kisses*

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Someone said they'd be around 160-180 if the two sides are roughly the same point cost, which puts in in Dreadnought power level realm.

I'm betting it's going to be close to whatever the Redemptor costs.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone know off-hand if the Rhino Repressor is easily (or easily-ish) convertible back to a regular Rhino? From what I can see the upgrade kit is just a firing-port cupola (with the guns), a fukhueg plow and the side armor slabs and all of that could be fairly painlessly magnetized right?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Sounds right, I was working with a redemptor as a ball park.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone know off-hand if the Rhino Repressor is easily (or easily-ish) convertible back to a regular Rhino? From what I can see the upgrade kit is just a firing-port cupola (with the guns), a fukhueg plow and the side armor slabs and all of that could be fairly painlessly magnetized right?

It looks like it's just a top plate that goes on top of the plastic one, so probably. I know on the deimos predator/vindicator with a resin top plate you need to shave down a few things on the plastic one, so that may be the case with the repressor as well.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I hope they include rules for Renegade babby knights so my looted guy can have some company. I have a feeling they'll be Imperial Only though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zark the Damned posted:

I hope they include rules for Renegade babby knights so my looted guy can have some company. I have a feeling they'll be Imperial Only though.

The Emperor protects which means no one else in the Imperium wears condoms.

Bastardry, ironically enough, is less of a problem among Chaos (Nurgle's rot makes them all wrap it up).

:shrug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Weird that the baby knight is a LoW but costs so little. I could definitely see myself getting that boxed set.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Weird that the baby knight is a LoW but costs so little. I could definitely see myself getting that boxed set.

I think its because of how detachments work. Since big knights are LOW and are probably the only other model for a questor mechanicus army, if you want to be able to use the small knights they also need to be LOWs. Otherwise they'd need to make some sort of HQ mini knight or something.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Gonna be kinda easy to stack command points if 3 of them fill out a superheavy detachment.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How do people generally feel about using Sisters of Silence bodies (head-swapped with maybe Statuesque's angry bobs) to make Sisters of Battle?

The old Seraphim models (and the current Celestine and her girls) really look pretty close to the SoSes even if the ground-pounder sisters don't especially.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I had that thought as well, since it's about the size of a Dread give or take.

It makes sense when you consider that to run an All Knights army, you can't have any HQs or Troops. So it'll sit with it's big brothers in a (or a pair of) Super Heavy Detachments giving you a choice of 3 min 5 max LOW slots. They only recently (Chapter Approved) got the ability to have a Warlord in a Knight.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Booyah- posted:

I'm really loving these!

Do you have any thoughts on taking the patriarch and genestealers as a separate Tyranids detachment? You'd lose the GSC infiltrate on them but gain whatever hive fleet ability you pick and stratagems to use on that detachment.

That's a great idea. Honestly I kinda get confused when it comes to mixing strategems etc but I think for me, I'd go for Kraken - my guys are painted as that and the strategems etc are nice.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Schadenboner posted:

How do people generally feel about using Sisters of Silence bodies (head-swapped with maybe Statuesque's angry bobs) to make Sisters of Battle?

The old Seraphim models (and the current Celestine and her girls) really look pretty close to the SoSes even if the ground-pounder sisters don't especially.

I think those would do nicely, and you could try the Skitarii Vanguard heads too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

I think those would do nicely, and you could try the Skitarii Vanguard heads too.

But "Oh yeah, those heads are the Angry Bobs" is more fun to say.

E: Never mind! Anvil is coming to the rescue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHBd8onLCkE

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 5, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
My guess would be they'd need to pair with a knight to qualify for the 3cp detachment or something. Or I hope. Or if they're in the 250pt range 3 for 3cp isn't too bad.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

But "Oh yeah, those heads are the Angry Bobs" is more fun to say.

E: Never mind! Anvil is coming to the rescue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHBd8onLCkE

Man, I thats basically exactly the direction i wish they'd go in.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Schadenboner posted:

Theoretically, yes. The plow was easily done.

I magnetize anything and everything that I can, but did not magnetize the repressor top piece because it fits incredibly poorly. The quality of the actual FW kit is not great and the quality of recasts tends towards poor to abyssmal. I ended up using a fair amount of greenstuff and I'm going to be cutting some plasticard slabs to cover up some remaining gaps.

One person I game with has some where the just cut the bottom tabs on the back that are supposed to fit around the rhino chassis off so it would lay flat, and that's probably what I would do next time, though that's not going to completely solve the gap problem.

e: the side armor isn't actually part of the repressor kit I don't think

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

e: stupid question, the box details are on Warhammer Community

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 5, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

Man, I thats basically exactly the direction i wish they'd go in.

Yeah, the sketches are identifiably feminine without being too boob-platey and (to my eyes) just the right amount of fetish-bait.

:shrug:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
First Tau preview is up. OW on a 5+ seems pretty good for Tau
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/05/tau-sept-hammerhead-gunships-breacher-teamsgw-homepage-post-3/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

What is the FTGG rule?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

That's nice and all, but Breachers rerolling failed wounds vs a unit in cover for 1CP looks very very tasty. Not to mention +1 to wound army-wide vs a unit you've already wounded once, though that's pretty pricey at 3cp. Hopefully points drop enough to make Brigades feasible...

E: For the Greater Good means you can fire overwatch whenever a friendly unit within 6" is charged, though you can't fire overwatch again that phase if you do.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What is the FTGG rule?

For the Greater Good: When an enemy unit declares a charge, any unit with this rule within 6" of one of the charge's targets may fire Overwatch as if they were the target of the charge.
Note that units lose their ability to fire Overwatch again this turn if they use this rule. Don't get baited into wasting all your Overwatch defending one unit, only for your opponent to charge something else that now can't shoot back.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Nice.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Glad to see I was right to paint up my warp talons. Seems they will be an auto take against Tau Sept.

Wouldn't want my 30 Bloodletters having to be overwatched now would I?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

If I'm interpreting those sprues right, it looks like four sprues for the mini-knight; three of them are the hull/body, the fourth is weapons. I wonder if that's been done to make it easier to package different knight variants (given that they call it an Armiger Warglaive, it assume there'll be an Armiger Somethingelse).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Scion heads work really well for Scouts.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So, now that I've finished up my Astraeus, I want to actually field it. Escalation league hits 2000 points next week. I'm not really expecting this list to be particularly good, but does it seem completely awful?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [72 PL, 1256pts] ++

+ Dedicated Transport +

Repulsor [16 PL, 350pts]: Fragstorm grenade launcher, Ironhail heavy stubber, 2x Krakstorm grenade launcher, Las-talon, Onslaught gatling cannon, Twin lascannon
. Two fragstorm grenade launchers: 2x Fragstorm grenade launcher
. Two fragstorm grenade launchers: 2x Fragstorm grenade launcher

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 104pts]: Jump Pack, Plasma pistol, Power sword

Lemartes [7 PL, 129pts]: 3. Soulwarden, Warlord

Lieutenants [5 PL, 82pts]
. Lieutenant: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Power sword

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]
. 2x Aggressor
. . 2x Auto boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launcher: 2x Auto boltstorm gauntlets, 2x Fragstorm grenade launcher
. Aggressor Sergeant
. . Auto boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launcher: Auto boltstorm gauntlets, Fragstorm grenade launcher

Death Company [18 PL, 245pts]: Jump Pack
. Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Power sword
. Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Power axe

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
. Scout: Boltgun
. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [36 PL, 744pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Astraeus Super-heavy Tank [36 PL, 744pts]: 2x Ironhail heavy stubber, Storm bolter, Twin lascannon, Twin macro-accelerator cannon
. Two las-rippers: 2x Las-ripper

++ Total: [108 PL, 2000pts] ++

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'd say it's a lot of points for a 10-man DC unit, but that Astraeus kind of blows that argument out of the water. If you meet an army that can handle your LoW, you're going to have an awfully hard time with board control, otherwise for a fun BA list it seems fine.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I:
*Play necrons.
*Bought a bunch of AdMech for funsies.
*Have long been considering buying a Knight just because they're cool.

This forgebane box is as close to a no-brainer for me as it gets.

Also, those Anvil not-Sisters look rad. If the final models look good and come out before GW's mega-neglect ends, I might pick some up when they arrive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like the idea of giving Scouts knives because they seem cheap and terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the idea of giving Scouts knives because they seem cheap and terrifying.
I'm giving mine shotguns because suddenly firing 10 s5 shots amuses me, that and they can advance and shoot.