Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I hope there's a Soth-by-Sothwesteros out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

whowhatwhere posted:

Because implying the heir to the throne did something is far more dangerous, and sounds crazy. An ugly dwarf with a vile reputation? Much more believable

Why blame either then? Tyrion is arguably his best customer. Varys may have known of the dagger already, but Littlefinger had virtually zero time to come up with the ridiculous story of Tyrion betting against Jaime.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ok I haven't really posted in this thread much before due to the intimidating size, despite having read this series ever since ASOS was first release, but I just want to make sure of something.

Everyone here understands that Gregor still has his head, right? Because we're smarter than all those other message boards that take Bran's vision way too literally, right?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Robb's and/or Ned's heads had to go somewhere.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They sure did.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Sharmat posted:

Ok I haven't really posted in this thread much before due to the intimidating size, despite having read this series ever since ASOS was first release, but I just want to make sure of something.

Everyone here understands that Gregor still has his head, right? Because we're smarter than all those other message boards that take Bran's vision way too literally, right?

Cersei's maester was a bad 'un though so he might be trying to meld magic with maestering (which the order would no doubt despise) but yeah, Ned's head was all tarred up and put on a spike next to W. for some time so it doesn't seem like a viable candidate for a transplant.

Possible author insert 'Marywn the mage' is an Archmaester who specializes in magic and the occult according to a shameful wiki I just looked up though and you really never know with GRRM.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Gregor's head was never taken off. The head Cersei sent to Dorne was a stand-in, most likely that dwarf with the grotesquely swollen head's that that sellsword brought her pretending it was Tyrion's. I thought it was pretty clear.

Honestly, I kind of doubt Gregor even died. I suspect he's some sort of blood magic/mad science zombie similar to Drogo post Mirri Maaz Dur. Only with more response to stimuli.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Fog Tripper posted:

Why blame either then? Tyrion is arguably his best customer. Varys may have known of the dagger already, but Littlefinger had virtually zero time to come up with the ridiculous story of Tyrion betting against Jaime.

Basically the most convincing explanation is that Littlefinger is taking an insanely risky gamble because at heart that's what he is. This also explains his kissing Sansa in the middle of the courtyard, killing Lysa so suspiciously, and pretty much everything he does.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

Basically the most convincing explanation is that Littlefinger is taking an insanely risky gamble because at heart that's what he is. This also explains his kissing Sansa in the middle of the courtyard, killing Lysa so suspiciously, and pretty much everything he does.

He also does quite a bit of loving around with 'counting coppers' so you could argue that he's something of a stereotypical sociopath in basically all aspects of his life.

Gets his little fingers in to every porridge pot he can.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

syscall girl posted:

He also does quite a bit of loving around with 'counting coppers' so you could argue that he's something of a stereotypical sociopath in basically all aspects of his life.

Gets his little fingers in to every porridge pot he can.

It says a lot that I care so little about every other character this makes Littlefinger a favourite for me. Still terrible, just admirably so.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Mutato posted:

It says a lot that I care so little about every other character this makes Littlefinger a favourite for me. Still terrible, just admirably so.

If he had attended the Red Wedding Catelyn would have been asking him why he was wearing a raincoat.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Gregor's head was never taken off. The head Cersei sent to Dorne was a stand-in, most likely that dwarf with the grotesquely swollen head's that that sellsword brought her pretending it was Tyrion's. I thought it was pretty clear.

Honestly, I kind of doubt Gregor even died. I suspect he's some sort of blood magic/mad science zombie similar to Drogo post Mirri Maaz Dur. Only with more response to stimuli.

Serious questions: why shouldn't there actually be a headless zombie Gregor right now? It wouldn't be all that surprising, given Marwyn's and Qyburn's knowledge, and it's a pretty cool concept. It's not like there will be hordes of unkillable dullahan zombies murdering everyone. Chances are, even when Robert Strong dies, we won't directly find out if he has a head. Maybe there's just a shitton of smoke once the helmet goes off, and present POV characters can't tell...

Also, I don't think a dwarf's head could be mistaken for a Gregor's. The head is probably swollen from decay, and we just find out that the head Doran gets is really drat huge, but not malformed.

Seriously, this could go multiple ways. Doesn't seem very clear to me.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 642 days!)

Gurm hasn't exactly been subtle with his foreshadowing, I thought it was a given that Robert Strong had no head. The visions his characters have are always extremely literal, like everything Dany sees in the House of the Undying and Melisandre and "SNOW????".

Plus Bran is a tree god and his visions are probably even more cogent than most.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Gregor could be headless with all the magic bullshit going on, but I always believed that Cersei just sent a different head to Dorne. The reason Robert Strong never takes off his helmet could just be that he doesn't want to get recognized as Gregor instead of the "he has no head" idea. I thought when Cersei was talking about sending the head, there was a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" stuff about how people heads all look the same when they're skulls or something like that, but gently caress if I'm going to try to find that passage.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Torquemadras posted:

Serious questions: why shouldn't there actually be a headless zombie Gregor right now? It wouldn't be all that surprising, given Marwyn's and Qyburn's knowledge, and it's a pretty cool concept. It's not like there will be hordes of unkillable dullahan zombies murdering everyone. Chances are, even when Robert Strong dies, we won't directly find out if he has a head. Maybe there's just a shitton of smoke once the helmet goes off, and present POV characters can't tell...

Also, I don't think a dwarf's head could be mistaken for a Gregor's. The head is probably swollen from decay, and we just find out that the head Doran gets is really drat huge, but not malformed.

Seriously, this could go multiple ways. Doesn't seem very clear to me.

It's pretty clear that when the head gets knocked off By Sandor, the faceplate of the helmet will shatter and reveal...his own face. Tyrion, in green facepaint and riding a pig, will then inform him that he has just defeated the evil that was inside himself, and now his redemption is complete. He will then be given a Saber of Light which burns with the flame of the Red God.

Sandor Mountainslayer can then face down Darth Whitewalker, the evil Emperor Beyond the Wall.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There is no Clegane sister for him to slip the tongue to, though! Your analogy is flawed, his mask is a dog!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There is no Clegane sister for him to slip the tongue to, though! Your analogy is flawed, his mask is a dog!

Obviously he is not a Clegane, but a Stark bastard, hence his destiny to defeat the White Walkers. Therefore, he has already kissed his half-sister.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Yes there is, she just needs digging up.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The gravedigger wasn't making new graves in AFFC :gonk:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

rejutka posted:

Yes there is, she just needs digging up.

Yeah my mind was kinda blown when I saw someone suggest that this is why Sandor was so uncharacteristically kind to Sansa and Arya. They reminded him of the sister he couldn't save. A neat theory.

I still say you guys are reading Bran's vision overly literally. The guy having nothing inside his helmet but black blood just symbolizes his abominable nature as a flesh golem. Do you think he's going to literally wear armor made of stone, too?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yes, but then I read Malazan where a dude literally has a flak vest made of seashells and carries around a 10' shard of flint for a sword.

And sometimes he rubs tree sap on women and they get really horny. I don't fuckin' know, man!

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

Yes, but then I read Malazan where a dude literally has a flak vest made of seashells and carries around a 10' shard of flint for a sword.

And sometimes he rubs tree sap on women and they get really horny. I don't fuckin' know, man!

More than anything else I have heard, this really makes me want to read Malazan. I need to find out if this in any way works in context, or if it is as retarded as it sounds.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

More than anything else I have heard, this really makes me want to read Malazan. I need to find out if this in any way works in context, or if it is as retarded as it sounds.

It is loving awesome. That dude rules.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Karsa is literally Conan but like the worst parts of Conan but also the best. Fuckwhydoiknowthissss

e: wait no his sword is a magic piece of lumber aahhhhhhh.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It was magical wood, but then he replaces it with magical flint which contains the souls of his bffs! :xd:

gently caress, I love Karsa Orlong. He's just non-stop insanity. I'm so glad he has his very own book. I would read about him and Tehol Beddict journeying the world forever, it would be the best Malazan thing of all time.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I just want Quick Ben to try to Quick Ben Karsa. :fuckoff:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I like how her lips aren't on the same plane as the rest of her face and her nose doesn't appear to be centered. The more I look at it, the more I discover.

Tumor instead of cheekbones. Anime eyes. Eyes too faraway from nose. Nose too far away from face. Bottom lip birthing another chin.

I kinda admire its commitment to poo poo, a true homage to its original source.

EDIT: Forgot tree bark arm.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

syscall girl posted:

So many of the people who rule Westeros fit the definition of a sociopath/psychopath once you think about it. Compared to them Littlefinger is almost normal.

rejutka posted:

It is loving awesome. That dude rules.

Also he killed one of his gods because she annoyed him, let the others go with a warning, and proceeded to carry around the severed head (that would talk to him) as his companion.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 1, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It was magical wood, but then he replaces it with magical flint which contains the souls of his bffs! :xd:

gently caress, I love Karsa Orlong. He's just non-stop insanity. I'm so glad he has his very own book. I would read about him and Tehol Beddict journeying the world forever, it would be the best Malazan thing of all time.

So would I, but more for Tehol than Karsa.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torquemadras posted:

Serious questions: why shouldn't there actually be a headless zombie Gregor right now? It wouldn't be all that surprising, given Marwyn's and Qyburn's knowledge, and it's a pretty cool concept.

It hadn't occurred to me there WASN'T a gregor zombie. That is interesting to think about a fake head being sent, and a recovered gregor clegane in that suit. I'm pretty sure its a zombie though, and I'm half hoping it has Ned's head on it. Clegane was far too unpredictable to turn into this quiet / silent / rage controlled dude. And with magic coming back into the world, I'm ok with q-burn's dark science becomine more powerful as well.

Speaking of which - I'm trying to figure out if there is an over-reaching light vs darkness theme.. and it really doesn't feel like it. I mean they set us up for it... but I'm seriously doubting it will come to pass. Or if there is, there is some kind of twist ( there HAS to be a twist ) like the Darkness is the good guys after all or some poo poo.

I mean assuming there is any sort of real "end game" planned for this series. The lord of light guys all seem like dbags. Zombies, blood magic, etc. And the different champions of the lord of light seem like very different ( and competitive ). Is it about battle between old gods and new? Is it just more power for power's sake, with no "good" or "evil". Whatever happened to that oldtown mage at the end of AFOC?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, you forgot Ublala Pung, it would be a travesty if he was left out of a book that had both Karsa and Tehol as main characters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kcroy posted:

It hadn't occurred to me there WASN'T a gregor zombie. That is interesting to think about a fake head being sent, and a recovered gregor clegane in that suit. I'm pretty sure its a zombie though, and I'm half hoping it has Ned's head on it. Clegane was far too unpredictable to turn into this quiet / silent / rage controlled dude. And with magic coming back into the world, I'm ok with q-burn's dark science becomine more powerful as well.

Speaking of which - I'm trying to figure out if there is an over-reaching light vs darkness theme.. and it really doesn't feel like it. I mean they set us up for it... but I'm seriously doubting it will come to pass. Or if there is, there is some kind of twist ( there HAS to be a twist ) like the Darkness is the good guys after all or some poo poo.

I mean assuming there is any sort of real "end game" planned for this series. The lord of light guys all seem like dbags. Zombies, blood magic, etc. And the different champions of the lord of light seem like very different ( and competitive ). Is it about battle between old gods and new? Is it just more power for power's sake, with no "good" or "evil". Whatever happened to that oldtown mage at the end of AFOC?

Don't be pedantic. Themes and an over-arching plot structure would be too predictable for this next level literature. You old fogey.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tumblr posted:

I feel like this photo set sums up the entire series. The men talk about doing poo poo; the women get poo poo done.

Oh Tumblr.. :allears:

(It's a nice parallel I never noticed, but holy poo poo Mereen, poop, Daario, ect. )

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Everything horrible about Tumblr summed up in a single post.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Aurain posted:

Everything horrible about Tumblr summed up in a single post.

Nope, no social justice warrior types at all.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

kcroy posted:

Well, there's probably an overarching magic vs. maesters conflict going on, for what it's worth. I suppose Marwyn will become a central figure in that - once he arrives in Meereen, that is, where I assume he will do... stuff.

So, yeah, that Oldtown mage spent the entirety of ADWD on a ship, waiting to get relevant.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

spent the entirety of ADWD on a ship, waiting to get relevant.

The whole drat book

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He only departs in the AFFc epilogue so only the latter third of ADWD really.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

kcroy posted:

Clegane was far too unpredictable to turn into this quiet / silent / rage controlled dude.

The same might be said of Khal Drogo.

You don't seem to have understood what I'm saying. Gregor Clegane is under that suit. He is hosed up. And it is because of Qyburn's magi-tech. I'm just saying he probably has a head, and might not even be dead in the way that, say, a wight is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Robert Strong is literally every badass warrior who died without a fight scene stitched together.