Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Feliday Melody posted:

I just got this game after playing and loving so many games that iterated on this, and there are some qol things that I've become used to that I can't find.

If I want to craft 10 beds. I can't just tell the carpenter to craft 10 beds. Do I have to tell him to craft 1 bed ten times? Is that how it works?

Once you assign a manager, you can give work orders, allowing you to set conditions and amounts and where to build them, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

leekster posted:

Does anyone know how to get crossbow training to work? I have the ranges set up, bolts prepared, and a squad that are all equipped with crossbows and quivers but none of them train.

I've only ever gotten it to work by setting them to staggered or constant training without a Train order. They go periodically, not often.

Feliday Melody posted:

I just got this game after playing and loving so many games that iterated on this, and there are some qol things that I've become used to that I can't find.

If I want to craft 10 beds. I can't just tell the carpenter to craft 10 beds. Do I have to tell him to craft 1 bed ten times? Is that how it works?

Assign a manager with n, go to work orders with o, create an order to craft 10 beds.

DarthRoblox posted:

Lol I was in my tutorial start. Along with that other guy upthread, seems like the game likes to give newbies a good firm intro to dwarfin'

I got some zombies that showed up in the middle of nowhere but it was only 4 shambling corpses. 3 of them got taken out by cage traps and my starting macedwarf took out the last (always bring a starting macedwarf, I pretty much exclusively use macedwarves). However I hadn't yet sorted out the bug with them not putting boots on if they have shoes and aren't set to strip before wearing armor, so she got hit in the foot and crippled for life because she wasn't wearing her boots. She's now a legendary crutchwalker and I removed the shield from her uniform so she can use a crutch with one hand and swing her mace with the other.

Oh yeah, and I also made her the baroness, and then countess, and then duchess. She's a mace lord now and legendary at just about everything, leading my A-Team squad into battle and pummeling Forgotten Beasts.

(She has a really fancy tomb now, don't worry, it just took me a while to get around to it.)

Apparently she's never actually killed anything besides that zombie dwarf, presumably because she rarely gets there before all her boys mob them. She leads from behind, I guess. Regardless, she rules and I love her. I highly recommend putting your nobility in the military, it makes it much more tolerable to cater to their whims when they're protecting your fort and creating stories to tell. And if they die, well, that's one fewer whiny noble.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 11, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have a new question: I've been getting a ton of people failing to do a task that requires a water source, but I don't have one. Do I just keep digging down trying to find one if there wasn't one on my map at spawn? Is there a good way to look for one?

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 11, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah if you dig down you'll find water eventually.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah one of the cavern layers should have water

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah if you dig down you'll find water eventually.

Do I need to like do a little bit of strip mining hoping to find damp stone (or is that only a warning I get if it's an aquifer?) or will it be really obvious as soon as the stairs get made?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a new question: I've been getting a ton of people failing to do a task that requires a water source, but I don't have one. Do I just keep digging down trying to find one if there wasn't one on my map at spawn? Is there a good way to look for one?

In addition to what's been said, if you're getting a ton of "no water source" messages and you don't have wounded or prisoners, it is often a sign that you're short on alcohol. So check your stock counter, and if it isn't low make sure you haven't accidentally blocked off the booze stockpile.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

Do I need to like do a little bit of strip mining hoping to find damp stone (or is that only a warning I get if it's an aquifer?) or will it be really obvious as soon as the stairs get made?

I'd recommend 3x3 stairs to make sure you're not likely to mine right past it, but just digging straight down will lead you into it eventually, it'll be obvious.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gnoman posted:

In addition to what's been said, if you're getting a ton of "no water source" messages and you don't have wounded or prisoners, it is often a sign that you're short on alcohol. So check your stock counter, and if it isn't low make sure you haven't accidentally blocked off the booze stockpile.

Nah I have tons of booze and people are definitely drinking it. I think they're trying to put it in an empty bucket that I have laying around (when I "focus" on the error it goes to one). I guess I'll just keep digging down and vein mining stuff.

Thanks all!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Thanks for the help. Another question.

I'm trying to make a farm.

How do I clear that junk in the middle of my farmland so I can grow stuff there too?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Just had a forgotten beast run roughshod on my entire base with acidic silk, there's only one survivor left. She is two.

She's been through a lot of trauma but she seems like she's a really good kid. I was getting ready to abandon ship on this fortress, but I can't possibly leave it like this. Heading off to bed, but tomorrow...

You've got this, Astosh! We're going to save the fortress, so everyone else didn't have to die in vain.

edit: goblins sieged the fortress just in time for a second forgotten beast to show up and kill the last survivors, everyone had to die in vain

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 13, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

Thanks for the help. Another question.

I'm trying to make a farm.

How do I clear that junk in the middle of my farmland so I can grow stuff there too?

In DF you primarily want to grow crops underground (starting with plump helmets), you'll want to dig down a level or two and clear out a room on some kind of soil layer and put your farm down there. Farms also do not need to be very big, you'll likely only have a few seeds to start anyway but a giant farm like that will have you drowning in plump helmets in no time.

You can grow crops on the surface but you probably didn't start with any surface crop seeds if you didn't do a "prepare carefully" embark.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Popete posted:

In DF you primarily want to grow crops underground (starting with plump helmets), you'll want to dig down a level or two and clear out a room on some kind of soil layer and put your farm down there. Farms also do not need to be very big, you'll likely only have a few seeds to start anyway but a giant farm like that will have you drowning in plump helmets in no time.

You can grow crops on the surface but you probably didn't start with any surface crop seeds if you didn't do a "prepare carefully" embark.

Alright, but are there mechanics to clear this stuff? I can't seem to mine the rocks or even clear the melons. Can I throw some dirt on those rock patches?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Feliday Melody posted:

Alright, but are there mechanics to clear this stuff? I can't seem to mine the rocks or even clear the melons. Can I throw some dirt on those rock patches?

I think you gather plants to get rid of melons. Boulders you get rid of by using 'smooth stone', for some reason. Of course, that gives you a rock floor... not sure what to do about that

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

For the rock tiles I believe you can turn them into growable areas by dumping water on them but I'm not sure if that works on the surface. Not sure about the grass patches if you can fix those to be growable.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Gosts posted:

I think you gather plants to get rid of melons. Boulders you get rid of by using 'smooth stone', for some reason. Of course, that gives you a rock floor... not sure what to do about that

Okay, smoothing the boulder gave me a stone floor. Gathering plants seems to have no effect on the dead pineapple plants, melon or reeds.

How do I dump water?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

I think you can make a dirt road. As far as I can tell a dirt road just clears the plants and isn't a building after so you can just build your farm right after it's done.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

Okay, smoothing the boulder gave me a stone floor. Gathering plants seems to have no effect on the dead pineapple plants, melon or reeds.

How do I dump water?

You can dig channels to get it to go places.You can also set it as a water source area and set another channeled out area as a pond and dwarves will tudge it over bucket by bucket, but I've never tried to drain even a small pool this way. Once you get it to a depth of 1/7 it will evaporate.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why the hell can't I gather ye melons while I may

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i have deeply enjoyed catching up on this thread. top-notch dwarfposting, everyone.

i haven't gotten a gangtag-worthy story but i had a lovely embark where my fisherdwarf pissed off three giant alligators .5 seconds in and got chased all the way back to the wagon when i told him to retreat

i ended up with 3 dwarfs getting their hands mangled beyond recognition and my miner losing a whole arm.

i think for my current fortress i'll have my militia outfitted in shell armor. that ought to make things interesting

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've been really sick for the last couple of weeks but I'm slowly on the mend and reading this thread is getting me desperate to get back into Dorfin', I haven't played in far too long.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

How do I dispose of corpses? They're piling up in the living room.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've lost two woodcutters in one season to falling logs...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh I found a cavern that's why you said it would be obvious when I found water lmao

I guess I just build a well on top of it? Or should I build a ramp down to the same surface level as it?

This thing feels impossible to navigate with all the stone around and I'm afraid to mine it for fear of caveins

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

oh I found a cavern that's why you said it would be obvious when I found water lmao

I guess I just build a well on top of it? Or should I build a ramp down to the same surface level as it?

You can build a staircase straight down to above the water and then channel the stairs one by one from the bottom up, then put your well at the top.

It'll just take a long time to pull up water.

You can (and should) go into advanced world gen to set caverns to be generated flatter so they're actually comprehensible.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

How do I dispose of corpses? They're piling up in the living room.

Corpse stockpile. Or refuse stockpile. Or dumping zone outside the fort and manually designate them to get dumped.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

wilderthanmild posted:

Corpse stockpile. Or refuse stockpile. Or dumping zone outside the fort and manually designate them to get dumped.

What about the furnace?

Some corpses are in the lake. Can I throw the rest in there?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can build a staircase straight down to above the water and then channel the stairs one by one from the bottom up, then put your well at the top.

It'll just take a long time to pull up water.

You can (and should) go into advanced world gen to set caverns to be generated flatter so they're actually comprehensible.

Once the water gets to the well it'll be "full" and the wait will be over though right?

I'll keep that tip in mind for my next fort. I'm sure this one will death spiral eventually.

Also it turns out the water issue from before was a kid slowly dying from a rotted arm and I just never noticed whoops.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

What about the furnace?

Some corpses are in the lake. Can I throw the rest in there?

Why do you have so many corpses? I don't think you can burn corpses. For non sentient stuff you can also be eating them by butchering them and then cooking them.

Also if these are dwarves, you can put them in coffins or create and engrave a slab if you can't reach them.

Edit: for the coffins, you make a stone coffin, place it as furniture, and designate it as a 1x1 "tomb". It doesn't really need to be a room, just a 1x1 spot with a coffin in it.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 11, 2022

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

wilderthanmild posted:

Why do you have so many corpses?

I have no idea. They're everywhere. I guess dwarves shed corpses?

I ran out of plump helmet seeds. What else can I grow?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

You'll have to wait until a trader arrives and purchase plump helmet seeds from them, else you can gather plants on the surface to get surface growing seeds.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

Are you getting combat notifications? I'm guessing it's not dwarves dying or you'd probably notice so early on. It could also be animals starving, getting hunted, attacking dwarves and getting murdered.

Those are the staple dwarf food source. Do you have some growing or did you cook the only ones you had? It can be alarming when they say you're out of seeds, but sometimes you're fine because they are all growing.

You can also gather stuff on the surface with plant gathering.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I made a pile and they're slowly being moved there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Thought yer green fella was some kind of cthulhu looking deal for a second

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So do minecarts automatically end up creating quantum stockpiles at their destination always?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Thought yer green fella was some kind of cthulhu looking deal for a second

What's his deal anyway? I don't remember if he's always been there. But he never moves.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
For anyone else using a steam deck, have you figured out a way to scroll in menus without having to either grab the scroll bar or click the up/down arrows directly? The thumb pad controls get really finnicky in big menus like the trade screen but nothing else seems to work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cup Runneth Over posted:

ok so I did this and it's just turning the stairwell into open space, is it because the stairwell was next to open space?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

Set a plant harvest order on the surface. Under labor (hammer in the bottom left), go to kitchen and make it so you can never cook plump helmets

When you brew your plump helmets, you get a plump helmet seed (called a plump helmet spawn) back but if you cook it, it just goes away, and your dwarfs are happy to eat raw plump helmets for the first couple of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

fermun posted:

Set a plant harvest order on the surface. Under labor (hammer in the bottom left), go to kitchen and make it so you can never cook plump helmets

When you brew your plump helmets, you get a plump helmet seed (called a plump helmet spawn) back but if you cook it, it just goes away, and your dwarfs are happy to eat raw plump helmets for the first couple of years

Thanks!