Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

It has its moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Brooker could do the telly review episode he so clearly wants to.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
My mind has been completely blown by the fact I didn't realise they changed Tamla Kari for the teacher off Uncle in the second series of Cuckoo. I think swapping Cuckoo out distracted me, but now I'm impressed I even manage to remember to breathe.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Great news everyone, the sweetest comedy on TV is back. I loving love Moone Boy. The ongoing U2 jokes in this weeks season 3 opener were quality

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

1000 Heartbeats is my new favourite rubbish daytime television show. It's a bit like The Cube but more 'brains' whilst you're linked to a heart beat monitor, the game ends once you've had a thousand heartbeats. Also Vernon Kay hosts it although nobody ever laughs at his jokes so they come across as bizarre statements. There's also a string quartet that accompany the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQB_jbp9rRY

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

let's play darts for comic relief is comic relief officially jumping the shark

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

justcola posted:

1000 Heartbeats is my new favourite rubbish daytime television show. It's a bit like The Cube but more 'brains' whilst you're linked to a heart beat monitor, the game ends once you've had a thousand heartbeats. Also Vernon Kay hosts it although nobody ever laughs at his jokes so they come across as bizarre statements. There's also a string quartet that accompany the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQB_jbp9rRY

If they don't have people leaping out and going "argh" at the contestants then they've missed a trick. Actually, that goes for all gameshows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that show seems absolutely coma inducing based on that clip.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd demand the string section play Duel Of The Fates from Star Wars as I get up to leisurely solve anagrams.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
2/5 weren't even anagrams.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

XMNN posted:

2/5 weren't even anagrams.

4/5 isnt it? The only one was jumbled was adaptor

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I keep advocating Storyville itt because every one is worth seeing. The latest, about rape in India, is insane. Watching will definitely make you angry, unless you're rapey, in which case you'll find yourself nodding a lot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is it India's Daughter?
e: yep! In the news a lot recently, first time Storyville's got a doc before the cinema. That whole... imprint? is the best thing on BBC4.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I keep advocating Storyville itt because every one is worth seeing. The latest, about rape in India, is insane. Watching will definitely make you angry, unless you're rapey, in which case you'll find yourself nodding a lot.

Felt sick watching it. At the attitudes of the unrepentant rapists, at their lawyers, who were equally dismissive of women, at the kind of culture that produces angry, selfish, wicked men like that and then looks the other way or openly condones their actions while blaming the victims.

Jyotis' parents were wonderful though. Her father seemed such a decent, loving man, who celebrated his daughter and all she was about to achieve. It was a brilliant, horrifying documentary, Storyville is amazing.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

The Big Taff Man posted:

4/5 isnt it? The only one was jumbled was adaptor

Worse than that, none of them were jumbled!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Daedo posted:

Worse than that, none of them were jumbled!

So it wasnt, I was seeing the O as a D and the D as an O. Doh.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
OK, I'm starting to think I might be suffering from some sort of brain damage.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is it India's Daughter?
e: yep! In the news a lot recently, first time Storyville's got a doc before the cinema. That whole... imprint? is the best thing on BBC4.

If anyone interested can track it down, the one they done about James Randi was amazing, and deserves to be watched.

As does the fact that BBC4 have re-aired Pain, Pus and Poison, which is a great 3-part series by Michael Mosley about the advent of modern medicine. I love Mosley's presenting of it, because he's so obviously enthusiastic. He even takes a dose of Sodium Pentothal to demonstrate it's effects.

He also gives tonnes of praise to Friedrich Sertürner who is someone who should be considered even more revolutionary than Fleming, yet 99% of people have never heard of him.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 5, 2015

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

reformed bad troll posted:

let's play darts for comic relief is comic relief officially jumping the shark

Bob Mortimer's carpet advocacy though...

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Another Storyville that was on a month or so ago that was amazing was The Arabian Motorcycle Adventures, about an American guy with OCD who decided to travel around the middle east by bike to go on an adventure, then wound up fighting in the Libyan civil war with the rebels. It was such a ridiculous story. I don't think it's on iplayer any more but if it comes back, I'd recommend watching it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So for those of you watching Fortitude, that was certainly one of the more hosed up things I've ever seen on TV.

This show started pretty solidly and has spiraled out a bit in the last couple episodes, I like the moments they actually spend building up the town itself. Stanley Tucci is pretty great though and his interactions with everyone are pretty good. This show feels a lot like it's echoing The Killing(the American one) except that they're actually resolving things and they have more compelling characters.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Poldark , then. So far it's basically watch Aiden Turner brood in candlelight, watch Aiden Turner brood on a cliffside, watch Aiden Turner brood some more on horseback.

Since he is the handsomest man alive, I'm not complaining.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

NaDy posted:

Another Storyville that was on a month or so ago that was amazing was The Arabian Motorcycle Adventures, about an American guy with OCD who decided to travel around the middle east by bike to go on an adventure, then wound up fighting in the Libyan civil war with the rebels. It was such a ridiculous story. I don't think it's on iplayer any more but if it comes back, I'd recommend watching it.

I watched this on youtube, it's a good un. I was having a conversation with my mate the other morning about travelling, specifically 'voluntourism', so I enjoyed seeing quite an extreme version of this. Like a cross between Forrest Gump and Full Metal Jacket.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

So for those of you watching Fortitude, that was certainly one of the more hosed up things I've ever seen on TV.

This show started pretty solidly and has spiraled out a bit in the last couple episodes, I like the moments they actually spend building up the town itself. Stanley Tucci is pretty great though and his interactions with everyone are pretty good. This show feels a lot like it's echoing The Killing(the American one) except that they're actually resolving things and they have more compelling characters.

I have no idea how that storyline / scene is even relevant yet. It was so WTF was that and woah where did that come from.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How long has Grado been on River lovely?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Decairn posted:

I have no idea how that storyline / scene is even relevant yet. It was so WTF was that and woah where did that come from.

They laid out the groundwork and reasoning behind it episodes ago. Bacteria survive, frozen in the tundra. There are parasites and illnesses that can co-opt the behaviour of a host to propagate themselves. Which is what this infection is doing. It's laying its eggs, as it were, in warm nests. The programme has been fairly clearly building toward this, with absolute confirmation last week.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

They laid out the groundwork and reasoning behind it episodes ago. Bacteria survive, frozen in the tundra. There are parasites and illnesses that can co-opt the behaviour of a host to propagate themselves. Which is what this infection is doing. It's laying its eggs, as it were, in warm nests. The programme has been fairly clearly building toward this, with absolute confirmation last week.

Yeah it's gone all Stephen King on us. I thought it was going to be a murder mystery.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To be honest, I think comparing it to King is a disservice to the programme.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

To be honest, I think comparing it to King is a disservice to the programme.

Maybe, but it's nowhere near as good as it thinks it is.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Time to retire the thread. Clarkson memorial caravan.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Is this one really worse than the last four times? Clarkson gets into Top Gear profile-boosting trouble with such regularity, it's almost as if it weren't real...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The BBC have cancelled the showing of something they sell to a lot of foreign markets, which they are normally loathe to do, so it's unusual.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A fracas is serious business.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
DId anyone watch Nurse? Paul Whitehouse goodness and whoever played the tituler nurse was good too. It's basically that Whitehouse/Chris Langham show that got it's second series torpedod by Langham's noncery.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

How long has Grado been on River lovely?

Wiki suggests beginning of this year?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

McDragon posted:

A fracas is serious business.

Whatever helps toward this country's energy security. Clarkson did nothing wrong.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

DId anyone watch Nurse? Paul Whitehouse goodness and whoever played the tituler nurse was good too. It's basically that Whitehouse/Chris Langham show that got it's second series torpedod by Langham's noncery.
Was it good, really? I saw a bit of it a while ago while wondering what Whitehouse was up to these days and it looked a bit weak. Whitehouse is genuinely one of my favorite actors of all time thanks solely to The Fast Show and it's just seemed to me that he hasn't had much luck lately getting the right project and the Eddie Murphy-esque makeup/fatsuit stuff didn't seem to be quite that.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Apparently there's going to be another season of The Fall? :psyduck:

The way last season ended I thought they were done for good.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

Apparently there's going to be another season of The Fall? :psyduck:

The way last season ended I thought they were done for good.

The format is good and it's popular, this is no real surprise. As long as it's a completely new story it'll be ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Also, free the TopGear One!