Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Another reason why I like Just Cause 3. The police/army will come and try to gently caress you up if you stay in one place too long but if you want to lose them you just wingsuit for 15 seconds and you're clear.

For actual content: The camera in Broforce is really bad. There have been a large number of times when 4 of us would be alive, but none of us were actually on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Saints' Row IV had pretty bad max alert levels but they mitigated it with the alert drone that patrolled the active area cancelling the alert if you destroyed it.

It was a cute touch to make the cause of your alert in the game a Gold Snitch.

Wardens and any superpowers fight are still bad though.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Prototype did it really well. You can either run around a corner and press one button to lose the military, or you can stick around and throw cars at helicopters to chase them off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Horizon Zero Dawn's tutorial notifications taking up a full third of the screen and taking like 20 seconds to disappear

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Homefront: The Revolution constantly plays awful Grundy music whenever you're outside (i.e. all the loving time) and it gives me a drat headache. It's like a ten second loop and might be appropriate if it played as you were seconds from death but not all the time, Jesus

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

Saints' Row IV had pretty bad max alert levels but they mitigated it with the alert drone that patrolled the active area cancelling the alert if you destroyed it.

It was a cute touch to make the cause of your alert in the game a Gold Snitch.

Wardens were the worst thing about SRIV. It's like they could detect when I'm having fun and immediately move in to stop it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wardens were the worst thing about SRIV. It's like they could detect when I'm having fun and immediately move in to stop it.

The worst thing about the later SR games are the high level enemies. The Oleg clones the grenade spammers, the TK assholes. They operate on shooter design which results in high tier enemies being bullet sponges with ridiculous power sets but combat has always been a weak feature in the series.

And I think it's due to SR's roots as a GTA clone. Shooting is boring in those games and the superpowers are a neat addition but they're basically power ups with cool downs. Agents of Mayhem looks like it's reducing its scope to being a shooter and maybe that's necessary to add depth to the combat.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Hollow Knight
Everything.
It is a cute, but bad game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

wyoming posted:

Hollow Knight
Everything.

Dang, you'e going to have to be more specific, because to me it was one of the most fun and satisfying games I've played in a while. My only complaints were that fast travel points were a bit far apart so getting around took a bit too long, and it was silly to have "you can see yourself on the map" be an equippable item rather than built in.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

wyoming posted:

Hollow Knight
Everything.

Gonna have to disagree with this complaint.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Triarii posted:

Dang, you'e going to have to be more specific, because to me it was one of the most fun and satisfying games I've played in a while. My only complaints were that fast travel points were a bit far apart so getting around took a bit too long, and it was silly to have "you can see yourself on the map" be an equippable item rather than built in.

I actually kinda like that the map thing is an option, the layout itself isn't confusing to me, I just feel aimless as to where I need to go to get the next upgrade or plot point.
Also not digging the combat system at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Action Tortoise posted:

I like the scripted warden fights, but making them appear at the maximum notoriety level was just annoying. How the hell are you supposed to get a good rampage going if you can't max out your notoriety?

Action Tortoise posted:

The worst thing about the later SR games are the high level enemies.
I didn't mind the high-level enemies in SR3, but the ones in SR4 are super annoying because of the way they completely replace the low-level ones. You almost never get to actually fight human cops because as soon as your notoriety goes to level 2 they're replaced with Zin. And some weapons (like the inflato-ray) seem to increase your notoriety to a ridiculous degree - like, you go from no notoriety to a warden in two or three kills.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Playing some Videoball Arcade mode and Choppy you can loving kill yourself you piece of poo poo

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I had a lot of fun in SRIV just running around shooting everything with a fully upgraded auto shotgun and fireballs, no particular enemy stood out as annoying.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I like that Sniper Elite 4 has a good deal of extra content. But it strikes me as poorly thought out. Five bonus conditions for finishing levels means having to replay them two to three times at a minimum to hammer them out, since most of the conditions do not complement each other. And then upgrading weapons means having to slog it through the same content even more to satisfy the requirement. With an additional gently caress you Mastery skin that doesn't start filling out until you completed three previous things for the weapon. And no, none of this poo poo is worth it.

It's the fourth game in the series and the devs still seem to be quite amateur. It's not like this game was such a vast leap beyond the previous two games.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 10:16 on Jul 6, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zero Time Dilemma: Diana's gigantic belted skirt is just killing me...

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

Also not digging the combat system at all.

I partially agree on this point alone; the combat feels 100% guitar-solo fuckrad when you take on something strong and power through it, but it's just too frame-perfect tight and too reliant on damage sponge enemy design. I feel like if the counter timing was like two frames wider it'd feel perfect to pull those off. And the black wall in the jellyfish area, between the main path and the mapmaker, that can only be passed if you go to one of the super secret bonus areas, was complete cocking bullshit.

That said, I love the game to bits (particularly the plotline of the guy who just wants to get to the arena) and fully intend to get back into it and power through to the ending and probably the obvious second ending as well.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

I didn't mind the high-level enemies in SR3, but the ones in SR4 are super annoying because of the way they completely replace the low-level ones. You almost never get to actually fight human cops because as soon as your notoriety goes to level 2 they're replaced with Zin. And some weapons (like the inflato-ray) seem to increase your notoriety to a ridiculous degree - like, you go from no notoriety to a warden in two or three kills.

I like that 3 had different elite types that are unfortunately replaced by alien bullet sponges in 4. Oleg clones just aren't fun though because they're meatwalls that barrel towards you.

I said combat in these games aren't fun but I love how SR4 made calling up a vehicle meant one materialized around you instantly like a goddamn anime because my go to strat was to summon an alien fighter or small cartank and start blasting everything because they had high damage and provided an extra layer of defense.

The Duke posted:

I had a lot of fun in SRIV just running around shooting everything with a fully upgraded auto shotgun and fireballs, no particular enemy stood out as annoying.

Super powered enemies, from Wardens to "boss" type npcs, all have the same attack pattern of jumping around and either throwing something at you or shooting a fireball. In theory it's supposed to be like a duel since they've got your powers. In practice it's better to just call in an alien fighter and mow them the gently caress down because gently caress their bullshit. Every attack will launch you into a stunned state and probably drop your health to danger levels even if you've beefed your boy up.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I like that Sniper Elite 4 has a good deal of extra content. But it strikes me as poorly thought out. Five bonus conditions for finishing levels means having to replay them two to three times at a minimum to hammer them out, since most of the conditions do not complement each other. And then upgrading weapons means having to slog it through the same content even more to satisfy the requirement. With an additional gently caress you Mastery skin that doesn't start filling out until you completed three previous things for the weapon. And no, none of this poo poo is worth it.

It's the fourth game in the series and the devs still seem to be quite amateur. It's not like this game was such a vast leap beyond the previous two games.

I don't think I've gotten any of the challenges while playing the game. I won't say it's viable to go loud because some of the challenges encourage that but I did clean up the second level during the skirmish with my Thompson.

I still feel like I don't have a solid grasp on the bullet drop in the game. I thought the gradations on my scope would help me measure my shots but I think they're purely ornamental.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm playing Demon's Souls for the first time and I keep trying to plunging attack and it keeps not happening.

That's about it dragging Demon's down besides the framerate and audio stutter every now and then. Game's pretty good.

quote:

Hollow Knight
Everything.

A friend convinced me to buy it and I'm enjoying it but yeah nothing really clicks for me in it.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Jul 6, 2017

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Action Tortoise posted:

I still feel like I don't have a solid grasp on the bullet drop in the game. I thought the gradations on my scope would help me measure my shots but I think they're purely ornamental.

Yeah I'm a bit confused about it myself. I know muzzle velocity factors in a big way so changing rifles won't help master any of them. But I can't seem to figure out how much velocity equates to flat trajectory over however much distance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm playing Demon's Souls for the first time and I keep trying to plunging attack and it keeps not happening.

That's about it dragging Demon's down besides the framerate and audio stutter every now and then. Game's pretty good.

A friend convinced me to buy it and I'm enjoying it but yeah nothing really clicks for me in it.

Does demons souls have a plunging attack?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

oldpainless posted:

No, that's the complaint. :v:

e: more like old plungeless

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

oldpainless posted:

it's the first souls game so it doesn't have ladder climbing or down attacks.

oddly enough you can mantle over some small steps but it isn't signposted well which steps are climbable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Horizon I just beat the Corrupted Behemoth after the point of no return. That was really annoying. I found it really hard. The preceding dungeon section of the game was cool though, although it took me 3 hours to get through that entire section. I was already tired and there were no save point along the way to take a break, just checkpoints, so I was so ready to be done for that sequence.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Somfin posted:

I partially agree on this point alone; the combat feels 100% guitar-solo fuckrad when you take on something strong and power through it, but it's just too frame-perfect tight and too reliant on damage sponge enemy design. I feel like if the counter timing was like two frames wider it'd feel perfect to pull those off. And the black wall in the jellyfish area, between the main path and the mapmaker, that can only be passed if you go to one of the super secret bonus areas, was complete cocking bullshit.

That said, I love the game to bits (particularly the plotline of the guy who just wants to get to the arena) and fully intend to get back into it and power through to the ending and probably the obvious second ending as well.

By counter do you mean when your sword clangs against an enemy's? Because I never took that to be a deliberate action you would aim for, just a neat atmospheric thing that happens sometimes. And enemies never felt damage spongey to me; the flow of combat felt very smooth and quick. For example, here's someone beating the game's hardest arena challenge (which has tougher enemies than most of the game, plus the player is playing defensively to get a no-damage run, and not using any spells):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnpYTq8KWE

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
In general, I hate time-gated currency / gear / content / features in MMOs. As a filthy casual, I won't necessarily log in every day to click a box or pull a lever or whatever. I guess that content is not for me, then? I'll get to it in a few years at this rate.
If it is just cosmetic, that's one thing, but hiding actual advantages behind a daily magic button irks me. You didn't play game for six months? Guess what, you missed 180 magic button presses so now you don't get invited into PvE groups or Raids or you get your rear end handed to you in PvP more than normal.

I understand that even casual-friendly MMOs rely on poopsockers and whales to stay in business. I have no solutions or ideas to "fix" it (if it even needs fixing). I'm just a middle-aged gamer that wants to have fun who is getting too old for this poo poo.

I will admit I've played MMOs a whole helluva lot more since the election. It's how I noticed that taking two years or six months or whatever off from gaming puts you at a disadvantage.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I knew FO4 was mediocre-to-bad going into it but holy hell the first two hours of the game are mindblowingly dumb. It's like they're trying to shove as much cool poo poo in there as possible, like "see?! we're a cool game with big setpiece moments!" but it comes across as really tryhard, like a loving Geo Metro with racing stripes and flame decals.

I mean....within the first couple of hours you go from eating breakfast with your family pre-war to jumping off of a roof in a full suit of power armor accompanied by your bizarrely faithful combat mutt (that you met four minutes ago). It's not even a "the scene fades to black and the title screen comes up and we assume time is passing" thing - your actual character experiences these things in real-time with the player due to the cryochamber in the vault. Seriously. Wake up one morning, oh poo poo, there's the alarms, head into the vault, and by just after lunch 200 years have passed, everyone you know is dead, and you're piloting a robot deathsuit (because despite being literally unconscious for centuries you're still apparently better at picking locks or hacking computers than actual well-equipped settlers).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

food court bailiff posted:

I mean....within the first couple of hours you go from eating breakfast with your family pre-war to jumping off of a roof in a full suit of power armor accompanied by your bizarrely faithful combat mutt (that you met four minutes ago). It's not even a "the scene fades to black and the title screen comes up and we assume time is passing" thing - your actual character experiences these things in real-time with the player due to the cryochamber in the vault. Seriously. Wake up one morning, oh poo poo, there's the alarms, head into the vault, and by just after lunch 200 years have passed, everyone you know is dead, and you're piloting a robot deathsuit (because despite being literally unconscious for centuries you're still apparently better at picking locks or hacking computers than actual well-equipped settlers).

That's all really good and fun, though, especially since the robot deathsuit is a falling apart piece of poo poo you don't have batteries for.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

That's all really good and fun, though

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh debatable. Personally I like Bethesda's FO games for pretty much the opposite of that - I want to approach a place and figure out the best way to take everyone down and then put it in action, using VATS if I gently caress up too badly. This...wasn't that.

Plus it really clashes with the idea of my character giving two shits about their son, who again, they saw kidnapped literally less than an hour ago. Like, okay, force me to be a super combat god who pilots power armor out of the gate, or make me a family man who cares about nothing more than his son, but trying to jam both of those into the opening of the game was awful.

e: VVV uh, do you know what "accessible" means? Because that's not at all what I'm bitching about here. Is it controversial in the slightest to say that FO4 has a shitload of really obvious flaws?

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jul 6, 2017

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

gosh darn video game, trying to be accessible

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

food court bailiff posted:

Plus it really clashes with the idea of my character giving two shits about their son, who again, they saw kidnapped literally less than an hour ago. Like, okay, force me to be a super combat god who pilots power armor out of the gate, or make me a family man who cares about nothing more than his son, but trying to jam both of those into the opening of the game was awful.

This was the biggest failing of FO4 for me- THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS TO ME IS MY CHILD AWKWARDLY SHOEHORNED INTO THE PLOT

gently caress roleplaying, you're a family man!

Though being completely real the entire plot of that game was like a pile of shoehorns haphazardly glued together with Elmer's Factions.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout 4 comes especially bad on the "Find-Your-Child" front because Witcher 3 did the same thing the same year and hit the landing. Everything Geralt does, from saving a goat to acting in a play, is done because it all ultimately furthers his goal of finding Ciri. The Witcher also benefits from not being rooted in the first-person like Fallout in that you get witness and play Ciri in several missions, thereby developing her character. The Sole Survivor on the other hand barely gets to know their creepy infant son before he's kidnapped, so they then forget about him for a couple dozen hours where they try fashioning a gun with toaster-parts.

New Vegas succeeded in its main goal in that Chandler Bing shoots you in the head at beginning, and it's up to you if you want revenge. There's no need for any up-front explanation. You can also finish the game without even meeting him again.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i do this on a regular basis and i always wonder if its even worth it, but the main story arc in pretty much every bethesda game is trash and the fun comes from the gameplay and the sidequests, not the main quest. although it is necessary to complete some portions of the main quest in order to more completely unlock sidequests, it is a formality in bethesda games rather than a highlight. theres a reason i have like 600 hours invested into fallout 4, not having beaten the game even once. the same reason i have over 1000 hours in skyrim. the gameplay is good, great even. its a fairly tired cliche, but the destination in bethesda games doesnt matter. in those 2 examples, where people complain of being railroaded, there are solutions if it bothers you--you can download alternate start mods, even mods that change dialog to cater to you folks. im not saying your claim that its a little thing dragging the game down isnt valid, but the fact you can mod these games at all, and in bethesdas case, so easily, presents a great solution.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I would argue that 'the fun comes by ignoring the game' just translates to 'the game is bad but I enjoy it anyway'.

I've never really been a bethesda fan but everytime people talk about it they mention they only have fun when they don't play the game the 'intended' way. Doesn't that just make it bad?

You could argue that the real intention of the devs is to have you run around and ignore their work but then why make the work at all? On top of that why not make all the work they do on the main quest better since then you could have fun whether you followed the main quest or not.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why don't you just pretend you're not looking for your son?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Why don't you just pretend you're not looking for your son?

Conversation wheels.

A: Where is my son?
B: If you tell me where my son is, I'll make it worth your while...
X: I'll loving kill you if you don't tell me where my son is!
Y: Sarcasm

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

No you don't understand. These games don't have stories (even though they do) and how dare they give me a real character to be! :spergin:

Besides everyone knows Bethesda games aren't actually fun until you add like 20 mods :rolleyes:

Oh and Skyrim is bad because you can forge broken gear even though that's optional and you don't have to.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Poulpe posted:

Conversation wheels.

A: Where is my son?
B: If you tell me where my son is, I'll make it worth your while...
X: I'll loving kill you if you don't tell me where my son is!
Y: Sarcasm

This is bullshit.

Sarcasm is the X button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

This is bullshit.

Sarcasm is the X button.

I was just about to post this.

im pooping! posted:

i do this on a regular basis and i always wonder if its even worth it, but the main story arc in pretty much every bethesda game is trash and the fun comes from the gameplay and the sidequests, not the main quest. although it is necessary to complete some portions of the main quest in order to more completely unlock sidequests, it is a formality in bethesda games rather than a highlight. theres a reason i have like 600 hours invested into fallout 4, not having beaten the game even once. the same reason i have over 1000 hours in skyrim. the gameplay is good, great even. its a fairly tired cliche, but the destination in bethesda games doesnt matter. in those 2 examples, where people complain of being railroaded, there are solutions if it bothers you--you can download alternate start mods, even mods that change dialog to cater to you folks. im not saying your claim that its a little thing dragging the game down isnt valid, but the fact you can mod these games at all, and in bethesdas case, so easily, presents a great solution.

"The intro of this game isn't jumbled poo poo-garbage with no coherency at all because you can mod it out." Christ, you're one stupid motherfucker.

Len posted:

No you don't understand. These games don't have stories (even though they do) and how dare they give me a real character to be! :spergin:

Besides everyone knows Bethesda games aren't actually fun until you add like 20 mods :rolleyes:

Oh and Skyrim is bad because you can forge broken gear even though that's optional and you don't have to.

I like Bethesda games, warts and all, and don't usually mod them in the slightest. With a few exceptions, even their stories can be good! Fallout 4, so far, has an interesting/fun seeming engine buried in a mountain of SHOVE MORE FALLOUT poo poo IN THERE RIGHT NOW IT'S BEEN FIFTEEN MINUTES AND THE PLAYER HASN'T EVEN MET DOGMEAT YET