Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Kingen Sentai Gurren Ohger did not disappoint. Really hope they do come out with a theatrical cut of the last few episodes. Absolutely love how they managed to give closure to pretty much every storyline (even the little Shugod that bonded with Deathnarok VIII!) and provided a balanced story where everyone was the main character at some point. Also, LOL at fighting over who gets the middle bit of the utterly atrocious combination name.

Boomboonger looks interesting but kind of generic, I feel. I hope they don't go back to generic sentai after the winning streak of innovative series they've had in the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're going to release a DC of the last three episodes on streaming

Also honestly, after the last three years were so wild, I think something a bit more traditional is a nice change of pace, especially if they bring in lessons and techniques from said last three years.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The stakes of this one were also really high almost all the time, so something wacky and light-hearted for a year seems fair.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

Kingen Sentai Gurren Ohger did not disappoint. Really hope they do come out with a theatrical cut of the last few episodes. Absolutely love how they managed to give closure to pretty much every storyline (even the little Shugod that bonded with Deathnarok VIII!) and provided a balanced story where everyone was the main character at some point. Also, LOL at fighting over who gets the middle bit of the utterly atrocious combination name.

Boomboonger looks interesting but kind of generic, I feel. I hope they don't go back to generic sentai after the winning streak of innovative series they've had in the past few years.

We're still in the 5-year plan for Sentai. This was Year 3, the center of it (the most important part). Boonboom will be Year 4 and I hope to seem some new things going with the mecha stuff since they've taken a bit of a back seat in the experiments with team composition and writing and plots.

Regarding the finale, the Shogodom guy working with the N'Ksopa mob is from the Racles specials. Completely forgot about the alt color Tarantula that was about to head to the land of the dead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1763202483134865445?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'l watch it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thought it was supposed to come out this month, why wait until the summer?

Maybe they had to rework the story / ending, like baby kaiju dies a horrible death or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Binary Badger posted:

Thought it was supposed to come out this month, why wait until the summer?

Maybe they had to rework the story / ending, like baby kaiju dies a horrible death or something

There was a whole plotline where Ultraman teams up with the Houthis that may be a bit politically controversial in light of current events.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm just assuming any time this year a movie changes dates it's to fill a release date of another movie that got delayed due to the strikes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Paradise Regained....

Orphnoch sex scene...

Inoue, I kneel....

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh the Faiz movie is out? How was it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Paradise Regained....

Orphnoch sex scene...

Inoue, I kneel....

He is still the GOAT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
There have been two official sex scenes in Kamen Rider and both are completely different ends of the spectrum while still being incredibly unhinged, and both are written by Inoue. I now realize he was not being homophobic with the Rider Time Ryuki scene, he genuinely just thinks every sex scene should leave you bug-eyed in bewilderment.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inoue also penned the Faiz novel back in the day which from what I hear contains an entirely unnecessary rape scene

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DailyBoonBoom/status/1763949839530791128

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not even five minutes in, I already knew

BoonBoomger is peak

E: THIS RULES

THIS RULES SO HARD

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 3, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out. BoonBoomger seems fun so far and I love that the Megazord is an actual character in his own right (I'm even getting used to the weird helmet design)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 3, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Very strong start for Boonboomger. The characterization is clear from the get-go, the action's excellent (though I imagine it'll be less striking once the budget runs out - then again, I said the same thing about King-Ohger and its extreme use of CGI and I sure got that wrong), it has a very classic Sentai feeling which is honestly pretty nice after so many unique ones, and the comedy's used well for some genuinely funny gags.

I love Taiya and Mira already. Chasshiro seems like he'll be fun once he gets to show his personality a bit more, but even here him being clearly unamused by Taiya's antics but still following on them is funny.

tl;dr:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The whole Heroes for Hire angle is interesting (almost Cowboy Bebop esque) and Mira is amazing. I like that she seems to be getting a big amount of focus like Haruka did in DonBrothers

Also BunBun is basically Ash Ketchum from Pokemon reincarnated as a talking zord (same VA, tone of voice, and general personality)

Additionally, our Sixth is going to be a Violet Ranger and will be modeled after an F1 racer

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 3, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Great start- the way this is presented it might be the first Sentai I keep up with since Zenkaiger.

Bonus points that the bad guys seem to be Bosozoku.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Great start- the way this is presented it might be the first Sentai I keep up with since Zenkaiger.

Bonus points that the bad guys seem to be Bosozoku.

They're bosozoku but with cars so the guy is (a) Dekotora and the gal is (a) Itasha. Motorcycles are for Kamen Rider.

Waffleman_ posted:

Not even five minutes in, I already knew

BoonBoomger is peak

E: THIS RULES

THIS RULES SO HARD

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah bosozoku are also car gangs as well, not just motorcycles anymore - I guess it was their pet/vehicle/giant maker that marked them as such for me with its super long pipes. Nice catch on the decotora and itasha though!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah bosozoku are also car gangs as well, not just motorcycles anymore - I guess it was their pet/vehicle/giant maker that marked them as such for me with its super long pipes. Nice catch on the decotora and itasha though!

According to PR wiki (so grain of salt) the pet vehicle is meant to be a riff on Puipui Molcar with a similar naming convention. It's named "Yeiyei Yaruka" (or Yarucar) which does follow the naming convention, but idk.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
What got me was how subtle but well done the humor was. The sounds of the zords backing up along with the camera. The getting hitched pun. Car alarms going off as they fly in the air. Taiya's smug satisfaction at making the wedding cake and Boonderio showing it off to the camera.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

According to PR wiki (so grain of salt) the pet vehicle is meant to be a riff on Puipui Molcar with a similar naming convention. It's named "Yeiyei Yaruka" (or Yarucar) which does follow the naming convention, but idk.

"Yaruka" is a slang phrase in Japanese which is basically a rough and tumble way of saying "come at me, bro" which is probably more likely what the main origin is

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The 5 Year plan continues strong.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Subs are out. BoonBoomger seems fun so far and I love that the Megazord is an actual character in his own right (I'm even getting used to the weird helmet design)

Where can I find these subs?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

The usual torrent sites, just like everything else Over-Time puts out recently

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

O-T also has a discord where they post magnets for torrents and links to said torrent sites.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just noticed something thanks to a random Nintendo video.

Power ups: Super, Star, Fire.

Am I talking about Mario or Gotchard?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I started king ohger this weekend and then I ended up watching 27 episodes of king ohger this weekend.

it's good, is what I'm saying

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Leraika posted:

I started king ohger this weekend and then I ended up watching 27 episodes of king ohger this weekend.

it's good, is what I'm saying

Make sure you watch the movie in between the time skip

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The 5 Year plan continues strong.
I feel like the five year plan ended two years ago. The original claims of Shirakura's plans were about what was probably a relatively prototypical concept for Zenkaiger (A focus on a single henshin hero and interactions with mecha a la Gridman) and while he was the mind that also produced Donbrothers, King-Ohger is emphatically an Omori project and doesn't really show any of Shirakura's own signs of involvement. Even Geats had more Shirakura involvement (he's the reason Geats is a gunslinger according to Naomi Takebe in an early Uchusen interview, he said swords were overdone). And neither Shirakura nor Takebe seem to have any hands on Boonboomger.

He probably expected to be involved for five years but things stabilized enough that he just moved onto other responsibilities. Like nothing would stop him from helming multiple toku seasons in a row (For early Heisei Rider, the only shows he wasn't the producer of were Kuuga, Blade, the first half of Hibiki, and Kiva) other than feeling like he has no need to do so.

Besides, wouldn't be the first plan he jumped ship on, like Agito was going to be a direct Kuuga sequel and there's still leftovers of it in the first four episodes before he changed his mind.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Trogglodyte posted:

I feel like the five year plan ended two years ago. The original claims of Shirakura's plans were about what was probably a relatively prototypical concept for Zenkaiger (A focus on a single henshin hero and interactions with mecha a la Gridman) and while he was the mind that also produced Donbrothers, King-Ohger is emphatically an Omori project and doesn't really show any of Shirakura's own signs of involvement. Even Geats had more Shirakura involvement (he's the reason Geats is a gunslinger according to Naomi Takebe in an early Uchusen interview, he said swords were overdone). And neither Shirakura nor Takebe seem to have any hands on Boonboomger.

He probably expected to be involved for five years but things stabilized enough that he just moved onto other responsibilities. Like nothing would stop him from helming multiple toku seasons in a row (For early Heisei Rider, the only shows he wasn't the producer of were Kuuga, Blade, the first half of Hibiki, and Kiva) other than feeling like he has no need to do so.

Besides, wouldn't be the first plan he jumped ship on, like Agito was going to be a direct Kuuga sequel and there's still leftovers of it in the first four episodes before he changed his mind.

Zenkai was the first show in the 5 year plan.

These shows are yearly. They're not talking pre-production timelines.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trogglodyte posted:

I feel like the five year plan ended two years ago

wtf are you talking about?

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Zenkai was the first show in the 5 year plan.

These shows are yearly. They're not talking pre-production timelines.

Xelkelvos posted:

wtf are you talking about?

Think my wording was a bit vaguer than intended, sorry. I feel like Shirakura's five year plan - which started with Zenkaiger - was only maintained for a couple of years before canning it. There's no real signs of his involvement in King-Ohger or Boonboomger, so unless there's a hidden punchline to them not really being Shirakura shows, I think this is literally just a case of good shows existing on their own merit and not because of a revitalization project.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Let's stop talking for a bit

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trogglodyte posted:

Think my wording was a bit vaguer than intended, sorry. I feel like Shirakura's five year plan - which started with Zenkaiger - was only maintained for a couple of years before canning it. There's no real signs of his involvement in King-Ohger or Boonboomger, so unless there's a hidden punchline to them not really being Shirakura shows, I think this is literally just a case of good shows existing on their own merit and not because of a revitalization project.

He's still on the staff at Toei just in a higher and technically more indirect role within the entire company.

From Japanese Wikipedia posted:

2021 - Returns to the Super Sentai series for the first time in 27 years with " Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger " and serves as the series' chief producer for the first time.
2022 - Due to organizational changes including transition to a company with an audit and supervisory committee, he will retire as a director and become a senior executive officer . [11]
2023 - Appointed as the director of the newly established Character Strategy Department . [12] [13] In the same year, he retired as director. He remains in the character strategy department . [2]

He's also Chief Producer on the new 555 stuff so you may be right that his initial vision for the 5 year plan is dead, at least with him in direct control, but it's possible he still has a hand behind the scenes among his other duties now in Toei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i assume he doesn't have to lay out every step of a plan the year it happens, like you can write that stuff down.