Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

The question becomes for a Duke origin like this, should we keep the Nerd references to the same pool as back in 3D or should there be a slight amount of updating to accommodate for the almost 20 years since 3D came out

Maybe set it in the '80's?

drrockso20 posted:

I was thinking it'd be a partial reboot(kinda like how Wolfenstien 2009 and New Order/Old Blood are still connected to the older games but in a slightly vague manner), mostly to make it a little more coherent(let's face it Duke 3D is kinda a mess thematically outside of Duke himself)

This would probably be how it would work out though, if they go with an origin story. Honestly I'd be ok with either, but I'd hope they don't do a full reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

catlord posted:

Maybe set it in the '80's?

NO.

The 80s are dead and nerds need to stop trying to revive them with excessive wank fests over pop culture icons.

Find another way to resurrect the duke.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Duke 3D is exceptionally 90's anyway, it wouldn't work.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Coincidentally, the ROTT13/Bombshell composer uploaded this about 12 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqDF8dSLOfc

In Doom modding news, Demonsteele's second playable character is coming along quite nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuYelYgq5A

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Megadeth cover of Grabbag will always have a spot in my heart. Hulshult owns though

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Scampie's map from Map Jam 6 is definitely my favorite so far among the set. Except for the stupid R2-D2 robot thing you're locked in a room with. gently caress that stop-and-pop bullshit.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

In Doom modding news, Demonsteele's second playable character is coming along quite nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuYelYgq5A

gently caress me, I NEEEEEED this! Also, great song selection. Also, also, I just wanted to comment that the Archvile's awake sound is perfect! I remember when I heard it the first time I tried Demonsteele. I believe it's the Heaven's Smile laugh from Killer7.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Klaus88 posted:

NO.

The 80s are dead and nerds need to stop trying to revive them with excessive wank fests over pop culture icons.

Suspiciously middle-aged looking 1950's teenage greaser Duke Nukem has to defend the Earth after mad scientist Dr. Proton, from his jail cell, teams up with aliens to get revenge on the world that wronged him. During a showing of It! The Terror from Beyond Space, the city is attacked by giant ants, Gila monsters, shrews and mollusks created by the aliens using Dr. Proton's mutagenic formula to weaken the planet before the main attack. Episode 1 ends with a battle against a giant dinosaur the aliens had unearthed from Antarctica and used the formula on.

In Episode 2, the aliens begin their main attack, with alien mutants and cyborgs as the main force. Duke is forced to fight through to a spaceship to take back to the alien home world and end the invasion. Along the way he fights a freed and cybernetically enhanced Dr. Proton, who upon his defeat swears revenge on the teen boy. Finally, Duke makes it to a spaceship, but before he can hijack it, he has to take down an alien war machine.

In Episode 3 he crash lands on the alien home world. Fighting his way through not only hostile aliens but a hostile world, he goes through alien nature preserves populated by the deadliest of the alien flora and fauna, alien cities, alien war factories, and eventually the alien Overmind, before finally escaping through a hangar and taking a ship back to Earth. Upon returning to Earth he discovers that, while his adventures only took a week or two, decades have past on Earth. However, upon his landing in LA he is hailed as a hero, thought to have heroically sacrificed himself to end the invasion. When asked what he plans to do, Duke replies: "Golly, think of all the movies I missed! I was looking forward to The Blob!"

I'm sure someone could come up with something better, but this is probably what I'd go with if given the prompt of "Duke origins, make him a bit of a dork, no '80's." Also I want a good '50's-style FPS.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Johnny Law posted:

Has Gibhard been mentioned on the thread yet? Kind of like a better-looking (IMO) Strafe?

It has the "procedurally generated" warning flag, but other than some obviously/hopefully-unfinished enemy animations the pictures are nice for my eyeballs. http://www.gibhard.com/

This straight up looks like RetroBlazer with the furries filed off. I don't think it's possible to actually enjoy it with it being procedurally generated, honestly.

E: actually it looks incredibly slow compared to RetroBlazer, and the art direction is really muddy for how vibrant everything is.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

catlord posted:

I'm sure someone could come up with something better, but this is probably what I'd go with if given the prompt of "Duke origins, make him a bit of a dork, no '80's." Also I want a good '50's-style FPS.

See, this is just more interesting than "Duke totally scores with every babe"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Personally, I could see being interested in that Gibhard game, and while I think all of the guns are relatively decent looking, I can't help but wish that the developer tried to push the envelope a bit to make each weapon more aesthetically distinct. A lot of these guns look incredibly similar.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

catlord posted:

Suspiciously middle-aged looking 1950's teenage greaser Duke Nukem has to defend the Earth after mad scientist Dr. Proton, from his jail cell, teams up with aliens to get revenge on the world that wronged him. During a showing of It! The Terror from Beyond Space, the city is attacked by giant ants, Gila monsters, shrews and mollusks created by the aliens using Dr. Proton's mutagenic formula to weaken the planet before the main attack. Episode 1 ends with a battle against a giant dinosaur the aliens had unearthed from Antarctica and used the formula on.

In Episode 2, the aliens begin their main attack, with alien mutants and cyborgs as the main force. Duke is forced to fight through to a spaceship to take back to the alien home world and end the invasion. Along the way he fights a freed and cybernetically enhanced Dr. Proton, who upon his defeat swears revenge on the teen boy. Finally, Duke makes it to a spaceship, but before he can hijack it, he has to take down an alien war machine.

In Episode 3 he crash lands on the alien home world. Fighting his way through not only hostile aliens but a hostile world, he goes through alien nature preserves populated by the deadliest of the alien flora and fauna, alien cities, alien war factories, and eventually the alien Overmind, before finally escaping through a hangar and taking a ship back to Earth. Upon returning to Earth he discovers that, while his adventures only took a week or two, decades have past on Earth. However, upon his landing in LA he is hailed as a hero, thought to have heroically sacrificed himself to end the invasion. When asked what he plans to do, Duke replies: "Golly, think of all the movies I missed! I was looking forward to The Blob!"

man that's a lot radder than anything I had thought of, someone tell Gearbox to hire this goon(not being sarcastic here by the way)

also I can't help but picture these aliens looking somewhat like the Chex Quest aliens

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

It is the distant year 2016. A visibly aged Duke Nukum sits in a dark, filthy condo somewhere in Southern California, watching homemade recordings of Oprah re-runs and chain-smoking cheap cigars. "Should'a never cancelled her shoooow," Nukum purrs in his typical Jon St. John. In between tapes, Nukum catches glimpses of the news...of another "alien" invasion--except this time, it's from right here on planet Earth. China. But Nukum's prepaid cell phone is suspiciously silent.

Things just haven't been the same since Nukum got all caught up in those "wall boobs" and videos of him groping and slapping them went viral. Ever since then, it seemed like the whole world hated Nukum.

"Rip off your head and poo poo out my rear end," he manages to snarl...but at who? The rest of the world? Or just the silence surrounding him?

He sinks back into his soiled La-Z-Boy and chomps down on another cigar. It smells like hot garbage and mulch but, lately, it's the only thing he can afford.

(Press A to swap VHS tapes, B to smoke cigar, X to check your phone, and Y to say things like, "Hail to me, I'm the King" and "Come get it!" to no one).

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I hope whoever brought up Daikatana made a good joke

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It is the distant year 2016. A visibly aged Duke Nukum sits in a dark, filthy condo somewhere in Southern California, watching homemade recordings of Oprah re-runs and chain-smoking cheap cigars. "Should'a never cancelled her shoooow," Nukum purrs in his typical Jon St. John. In between tapes, Nukum catches glimpses of the news...of another "alien" invasion--except this time, it's from right here on planet Earth. China. But Nukum's prepaid cell phone is suspiciously silent.

Things just haven't been the same since Nukum got all caught up in those "wall boobs" and videos of him groping and slapping them went viral. Ever since then, it seemed like the whole world hated Nukum.

"Rip off your head and poo poo out my rear end," he manages to snarl...but at who? The rest of the world? Or just the silence surrounding him?

He sinks back into his soiled La-Z-Boy and chomps down on another cigar. It smells like hot garbage and mulch but, lately, it's the only thing he can afford.

(Press A to swap VHS tapes, B to smoke cigar, X to check your phone, and Y to say things like, "Hail to me, I'm the King" and "Come get it!" to no one).

that's just bleak man, and not in an entertaining way either

also if Duke ever gets a game with Time Travel in it, this needs to be replicated;

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Complete the Duke 3d trilogy. In the first game, the Duke was not self-aware. In the second, the writers were not self-aware. In duke 5, the Duke comes to realize who and what he is.

Go the route of the scene from Walk Hard they edited out where he has sex with thousands of women and it gradually becomes horrifying that he is so empty. Then explore how many lives have been ruined by his kind of attitude and thinking, benefiting no one even the Duke as he has to act like a cartoon character to keep from realizing he is not only meaningless but also destructive. He killed all the aliens years ago, now he is just mindlessly terrorizing anything vaguely against US foreign policy because that has become all he is. A psychopathic killing machine useful to no one.

Hail to the king baby, picking up turds is canon. Make the first game where the implicit narrative of events on the screen are actually the story. Pipebombing strippers in a warzone, drinking out of a urinal in a bombed out movie theater, tracking blood and feces through a Japanese restaurant before performing karaoke to an audience of corpses . Tear the character down so badly that they couldn't possibly resurrect it.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 21, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Complete the Duke 3d trilogy. In the first game, the Duke was not self-aware. In the second, the writers were not self-aware. In duke 5, the Duke comes to realize who and what he is.

Go the route of the scene from Walk Hard they edited out where he has sex with thousands of women and it gradually becomes horrifying that he is so empty. Then explore how many lives have been ruined by his kind of attitude and thinking, benefiting no one even the Duke as he has to act like a cartoon character to keep from realizing he is not only meaningless but also destructive. He killed all the aliens years ago, now he is just mindlessly terrorizing anything vaguely against US foreign policy because that has become all he is. A psychopathic killing machine useful to no one.

Hail to the king baby, picking up turds is canon. Make the first game where the implicit narrative of events on the screen are actually the story. Pipebombing strippers in a warzone, drinking out of a urinal in a bombed out movie theater, tracking blood and feces through a Japanese restaurant before performing karaoke to an audience of corpses . Tear the character down so badly that they couldn't possibly resurrect it.

That's retarded

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

Coincidentally, the ROTT13/Bombshell composer uploaded this about 12 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqDF8dSLOfc

I dig it. Hulshult's remixes were the best part of ROTT13.

drrockso20 posted:

also if Duke ever gets a game with Time Travel in it, this needs to be replicated;

drat straight :patriot:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

gently caress me, I NEEEEEED this!

I actually just got Shihong to the point where I can toss out a public beta. I'm really curious in opinions about how she plays so far, what's cool and what isn't, what feels good and what doesn't, and would like a few people willing to run through mapsets with her to find out.
If you or anyone else is interested, please feel free to hit me up on Skype or Steam or whatever (guess what my username is) and I'll send it on over.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

also if Duke ever gets a game with Time Travel in it, this needs to be replicated

The current decade is probably not the best time to be claiming that racism is over in America. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The current decade is probably not the best time to be claiming that racism is over in America. :v:

True although it's still a hell of an improvement(which kinda says a lot about how screwy this country is when the current situation is generally an improvement), plus I figure Duke comforting that guy is the real important part here

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drrockso20 posted:

True although it's still a hell of an improvement(which kinda says a lot about how screwy this country is when the current situation is generally an improvement), plus I figure Duke comforting that guy is the real important part here

Yeah, it shows Duke as a stand up kind of guy, maybe a bit of Duke Huggem showing through.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my god, I can hear Duke say, perfectly, "Shoulda never cancelled her shooooooow", and it's cracking me up.

Really looking forward to checking out that Demonsteele video. Someone mentioned Killer7, so I'm down, more than I already was for Demonsteele to begin with.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Honestly, I don't care what they call the game, what the plot is or anything.

I just want to hear more of John St. John's Duke voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9sdH5uA600

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TerminusEst13 posted:

I actually just got Shihong to the point where I can toss out a public beta. I'm really curious in opinions about how she plays so far, what's cool and what isn't, what feels good and what doesn't, and would like a few people willing to run through mapsets with her to find out.
If you or anyone else is interested, please feel free to hit me up on Skype or Steam or whatever (guess what my username is) and I'll send it on over.

Oh drat! I'd take you up on this but I'm going to be friggin' busy this weekend. I probably wouldn't get around to really digging in till next weekend and even then I'm not sure. I'd hate to greedily jump on this and then just have it sitting there. Something like this needs to be played to hell and back. Super stoked that you offered, though. If plans change I'll get ahold of you on Steam :)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

drrockso20 posted:

:unsmith:

Also the duke already had a time traveling game on the N64.

The duke is an okay guy.

What is this from?

A game in the style of They Live would also be acceptable.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
They made a comic book to go along with one of the Duke Nukem Trilogy games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Woolie Wool posted:

Jesus this level was exhausting.

Changes in Fortune by EricW and Tromyn. It's this absolutely humongous castle that rivals things like Black Rain from Cchest3 or Unstable Journey from BTSX E2 (for Doom) in terms of sheer scope. The Grunts were actually the most dangerous enemies on the map due to being put in really awkward locations, and in large numbers to boot. A very intense fight had me chased around the upper area of the castle by a shitload of Grunts, Knights, Death Knights, Ogres, and a Shambler.

You got a link to this? I tried googling but no luck.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Whenever I hear Grabbag, all I can think about is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K00DCK1l98

I'm broken.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You got a link to this? I tried googling but no luck.

It's part of the Func Map Jam 6 pack that was released just the other day.

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/mapjam6.html

Note that it was officially tested with Quakespasm and that's apparently the only engine that handles it without issues - and even then, you need to raise the Heapsize beyond the already-elevated default or that one giant map will struggle.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm broken.

Literally my favorite game trailer of all time. The complete level of :effort: is so amazing and just a perfect distillation of how hosed up the Duke franchise has been after DN3D.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

They made a comic book to go along with one of the Duke Nukem Trilogy games.
You mean this Duke Nukem Trilogy?:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm broken.
Because given the budget of that trailer, I refuse to believe they had the budget to license a comic.

Dominic White posted:

It's part of the Func Map Jam 6 pack that was released just the other day.

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/mapjam6.html

Note that it was officially tested with Quakespasm and that's apparently the only engine that handles it without issues - and even then, you need to raise the Heapsize beyond the already-elevated default or that one giant map will struggle.
Specifically, I believe it's the fourth or fifth map from the left when you enter the Start map.

Also, I figured out that you access Nightmare by shooting the red window on the far right wall.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

You mean this Duke Nukem Trilogy?:
Because given the budget of that trailer, I refuse to believe they had the budget to license a comic.

Yes. The story behind the trailer is that it was just meant to be playing in the background at a booth in E3 while the devs talk about the game and show off stuff. It ended up getting released anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That DS game is allegedly pretty rare but I have no idea what it's worth. Don't play it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That DS game is allegedly pretty rare but I have no idea what it's worth. Don't play it.

It's Duke Nukem Manhattan Project but the models and animations are super awful and the camera's up uncomfortably close so you can't see anything more than 5 feet in front of Duke

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

If you want something incomprehensibly massive to check out in Quake, try Telefragged in the Rubicon Rumble Pack.

The actual final enemy count is somewhere around 950. That's over three times the entire Quake shareware episode, on Hard, secret level included. It's pretty drat clever and creative, too. Thankfully it has built-in checkpoints. A lot of them.

The other two maps in the pack are massive too, albeit with a mere 350-400 enemies each.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 21, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Segmentation Fault posted:

the camera's up uncomfortably close so you can't see anything more than 5 feet in front of Duke

So basically Duke Nukem II, then?

I have no idea how I beat that game as a kid, it's pretty close to unplayable.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A lot of old DOS side-scrollers did tend to have the camera zoomed way too far in for how fast the gameplay was (at a blistering 16FPS!). I recall Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, a game near and dear to my heart almost entirely because it was one of my earliest games ever, had that problem something fierce, with enemies blindsiding you all the time because everyone's sprite was gargantuan. Jazz Jackrabbit also had that problem, perhaps even worse because Jazz is touted as running really drat fast (and he does run really drat fast if you let him), but the screen size is just too small to accommodate that, so you end up running straight into enemies you hadn't quite killed more often than not. Still fun games, mind, but... yeah, flawed.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

So basically Duke Nukem II, then?

I have no idea how I beat that game as a kid, it's pretty close to unplayable.

I only got to the first parts of Episode 2 before the screen size issue made it unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

A lot of old DOS side-scrollers did tend to have the camera zoomed way too far in for how fast the gameplay was (at a blistering 16FPS!). I recall Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, a game near and dear to my heart almost entirely because it was one of my earliest games ever, had that problem something fierce, with enemies blindsiding you all the time because everyone's sprite was gargantuan. Jazz Jackrabbit also had that problem, perhaps even worse because Jazz is touted as running really drat fast (and he does run really drat fast if you let him), but the screen size is just too small to accommodate that, so you end up running straight into enemies you hadn't quite killed more often than not. Still fun games, mind, but... yeah, flawed.

Yeah. Jazz 2 solves this problem through just having a bigger resolution but similar sprite sizes but a lot of DOS platformers excluding Commander Keen and a few others run into this.