Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/chuangcn/status/1512816748667420675

poo poo looks bad tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Unormal posted:

Yeah I really can't think of anything different in terms of information distirbution between 1962 and 2022

i meant the covid numbers, i was ignoring his pivoting to a completely different topic fwiw

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
this is getting so hosed up that my parents started talking about it after taking some tearful calls.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Varinn posted:

What makes this different, then? Why aren't they able to lie about these outbreaks, if they were able to cover up massive outbreaks before?

It happened in the largest city on earth with a wealthy phone using population? Also the center of any possible resistance to winnie the pooh.

You think if someone dies of covid in a Xinjang concentration camp they are going to break the 0 covid lie? LOL

I guess arguing over unknowable stats is better than talking about people dying cause they cant use dialysis machines

Despera fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 10, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
They jailed doctor for just talking about covid in the begining. Take a brave doctor to go against the emperors commands. Even if one did theyd probably just get disappeared. That said I hope the number is true but id be hopeless nieve to believe so.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Despera posted:

It happened in the largest city on earth with a wealthy phone using population? Also the center of any possible resistance to winnie the pooh.

You think if someone dies of covid in a Xinjang concentration camp they are going to break the 0 covid lie? LOL

I guess arguing over unknowable stats is better than talking about people dying cause they cant use dialysis machines

So up until now, covid has been ravaging every area of China EXCEPT densely populated urban zones where people are in extremely close quarters, and its been completely covered up?

Despera posted:

They jailed doctor for just talking about covid in the begining. Take a brave doctor to go against the emperors commands. Even if one did theyd probably just get disappeared. That said I hope the number is true but id be hopeless nieve to believe so.

lmao come on, you're not supposed to be this obvious about it

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

like this process of someone saying something completely ridiculous and false on its face, and then when challenged they just go "well x or y happened so its IMPOSSIBLE to know the truth, so you know maybe its true" is such a common thing in this thread that its worth drilling down on one of these posts without being distracted

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Like most countries, China's official death count is probably lower than the real count. That being said, you could add two zeros on the end of it and they'd still have a much more successful track record on a per capita basis compared to most western countries.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
are they still reporting zero deaths in the latest outbreak?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Mantis42 posted:

Like most countries, China's official death count is probably lower than the real count. That being said, you could add two zeros on the end of it and they'd still have a much more successful track record on a per capita basis compared to most western countries.

Yeah, I want them to succeed so that people don't die. Scoring political points on a tragedy like this is wrong.

I just fear they've hit a tipping point.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It would probably be quite bad if Omicron received 1.4 billion new vectors for further mutation, so for the sake of self preservation-if nothing else-it would probably be in everyone's best interest to hope that the lockdowns succeed.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

are they still reporting zero deaths in the latest outbreak?

Yes, but there's only a few hundred symptomatic cases so that's not unthinkable

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

It would probably be quite bad if Omicron received 1.4 billion new vectors for further mutation, so for the sake of self preservation-if nothing else-it would probably be in everyone's best interest to hope that the lockdowns succeed.

Yeah but the lockdown can't go on forever. Like what's their end game here. If it's waiting until vaccinations rates are as high as they can realistically get, sure super good aim, very respectable approach. If they are aware it's going to spread and are just trying to make sure when a mass outbreak happens they can make sure it's slow enough to not overload their healthcare system, not the best way to go about it, but again very good and logical aim. If it's just to say we can keep doing mass lock downs from now until eternity, like what?

China's not a small island nation where like "technically" that might be possible, it's a massive country with the largest population in the world, that does poo poo loads of trading, to try and lockout covid for ever with no end goal just like isn't a realistic thing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Daduzi posted:

Yes, but there's only a few hundred symptomatic cases so that's not unthinkable

"SHANGHAI, April 9 (Reuters) - The major Chinese financial centre of Shanghai reported 22,609 new asymptomatic coronavirus cases and 1,015 new symptomatic cases on April 8, the local government said on Saturday.

The number of asymptomatic cases was up from 20,398 a day earlier. The number of symptomatic cases also rose from 824."

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/shanghai-reports-22609-new-asymptomatic-coronavirus-cases-1015-symptomatic-cases-2022-04-09/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
https://weekly.chinacdc.cn/news/TrackingtheEpidemic.htm

They don't count Hong Kong cases and deaths for some reason? Also that high of a case count and zero deaths seems, uh, beyond suspect.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Yeah, OK, hadn't checked the numbers recently. That *is* suspicious, though two mitigating factors might be that the numbers only spiked relatively recently, and the cases have been found through testing the entire city so there may be mild symptomatic cases that otherwise wouldn't have been identified (making for a lower case fatality rate). Honestly I don't know enough to say either way.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The way they count COVID deaths is if they don't have any other pre existing conditions and if they don't die from a symptom of COVID, so pretty much when they run out of any other possible excuses to classify the death. For example, this article says a death of a 71 year old during the outbreak was classified as death from chest infection. China officially recorded no deaths from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022, and the 2 death cases on March 18 were located in Jilin province, so officially no one has died of COVID in Shanghai yet, statistically impossible if you compare the data with Hong Kong.

Although less elderly people in HK are vaccinated compared with China, the ratio distribution is similar (63% vs 59% over 80s unvaccinated) . There is also the option of the mRNA Pfizer vaccine in HK which China doesn't have, meaning elderly need to be Sinovac fully vaccinated with booster to achieve the highest level protection which the Bloomberg article states only 20% of 80s have.

https://twitter.com/kjoules/status/1512621105038897156

Even when the pandemic in HK was raging the daily case numbers were only useful as a rough guide rather than a definite sum, I know of relatives that had it and didn't report/still went about their daily business.

In China, this is even more so.

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
in chutzpah:

https://twitter.com/ananthkrishnan/status/1512983813798121474

(the financial news is basically the liberal platform now, it's not that shocking. Still.)

that aside:

https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1513139213541457921

Whilst the incidents of starvation and medical disruption in Shanghai are undoubtly real, it still seems to the case that "most" communities can arrange group buys and at least obtain survival rations reasonably

("most" is doing a lot of work here, granted; "most" people would survive Covid too etc. )

and given that urban residents are now maintaining their own dry goods stock, the frequency of such incidents in future lockdowns will diminish too, but even in a 100% starvation-free lockdown, it's still not sustainable. I give it a matter of weeks before we hear of the first major city to re-lockdown after lifting measures (not counting the land border cities which have already experienced this last year)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Kill All Cops posted:

Even when the pandemic in HK was raging the daily case numbers were only useful as a rough guide rather than a definite sum, I know of relatives that had it and didn't report/still went about their daily business.

In China, this is even more so.

In China, yes, but not in Shanghai where there's near daily tests of every person in the city. There's no possibility of having it and not reporting it here.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/medriva/status/1513306809154609159

looks like the horse has left the barn. it's over. let's see if the CCP realizes this and ends these ridiculous lockdowns.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm in Shanghai and, to keep myself and colleagues informed, made an overview of how the cases are developing. It's all using the official numbers so probably take it with a grain of salt. But there's nothing else available to use: https://rpubs.com/dclaszen/shanghai_covid

Acceleration of growth seems to have stopped in Pudong, but not so much in other districts. And everything can change within a day or two depending on whether they've had tests in a backlog or whatever else was going on at for example March the 25th. Would need to see a slowdown on a longer timeframe before it's worth anything. It's also still spreading into new areas. If you count the number of new unique places (streets and street numbers, communities) that are released each day, then most districts are still adding previously unlisted neighbourhoods to their list of infected places every day, even at an increasing rate. This means that either the data is lagging a lot, or that we're seeing cases that had a longer incubation period, or that covid is spreading across communities/streets regardless of the lockdown. Omicron is supposed to have a shorter incubation period.

I might try and use some modelling to predict growth, but that's gonna be really inaccurate. Last time I tried fitting a logistic curve it didn't work at all because everything was still growing exponentially.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1513326953075392515

:stonk:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Back during SARS:

https://www.neha.org/sites/default/files/jeh/JEH5.06-Feature-Environmental-Transmission-of-SARS.pdf

(the Amoy Gardens outbreak, noting that Hong Kong plumbing code does have traps)

quote:

In interviews with officials from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Health Department, Amoy Gardens residents indicated that they often smelled sewer gas in bathrooms. Health department officials quickly identified bathroom floor drains as the problem. Water flows frequently through toilet, sink, and bathtub drains, and the traps for those fixtures remain filled and sealed. Residents at Amoy Gardens told health department officials that they cleaned bathroom floors by mopping, however. Because mop cleaning does not generate water flow, bathroom floor drains were left dry and unsealed. In addition, WHO found that some residents had removed traps and others had connected their own fixtures (such as washing machines) to the sanitary riser without installing trap seals (Tilgner, Flick, Grolla, & Feldman, 2003).

Backflow from sanitary risers into indoor spaces can occur because air inside the pipe rises as water flows down. Rates of backflow increase under conditions of negative pressure (i.e., when the pressure in the indoor space is less than that in the pipe). This pressure difference can be naturally occurring or, as in the case of Amoy Gardens, can be mechanically induced by building ventilation systems. Amoy residents had installed window-mounted exhaust fans in most bathrooms. The type and size of exhaust fan was not, however, dictated by building management. The bathrooms were small (less than 50 square feet each) and, according to WHO, many residents had installed high-powered fans with capacities 6 to 10 times higher than the capacity that would be required for such a small space (Tilgner et al., 2003).

A powerful fan installed in a small space creates significant negative pressure. With doors and windows closed, the fan draws air (called “make-up air”) from any available source. The source of make-up air in this case was the sanitary riser connecting through the floor drains. The window-mounted fans created large pressure differentials that resulted in significant backflows into Block E bathrooms (Figure 4). The WHO environmental team verified, through odor detection and smoke tests, that sewer gas and aerosolized droplets were being drawn into the bathrooms from the plumbing system, with sewer gas velocity and droplet volume in direct proportion to fan power. In some bathrooms, air velocity inside the floor drain pipe approached 300 feet per minute, which according to WHO, was “sufficiently energetic to deliver large quantities of droplets into the washroom from infected stool passing in the waste pipe (Tilgner et al., 2003)

A rather exceptional case but Shanghai is a big place and it's not hard to imagine, given the lack of P-traps endemic in even higher-quality Chinese residential plumbing to begin with, that a similar situation could occur in select buildings, much as with the older Spanish buildings described in the El Pais article

It does seem generally true that Chinese public messaging and measures currently care too much about fomites and not enough about aerosolization in enclosed spaces

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well I'm going to go profusely vomit right now

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

https://twitter.com/medriva/status/1513306809154609159

looks like the horse has left the barn. it's over. let's see if the CCP realizes this and ends these ridiculous lockdowns.

As someone living in the UK, 26,000 doesn't sound that huge, but also feels like it doesn't demand the entire city to be on lockdown. Is this spread to almost every community by now?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Not So Fast posted:

As someone living in the UK, 26,000 doesn't sound that huge, but also feels like it doesn't demand the entire city to be on lockdown. Is this spread to almost every community by now?

how would you get back to 0 cases from 26,000 without locking down the city?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

fart simpson posted:

My understanding is that prior to this, the strategy was to lockdown communities and not the entire cities, which is why I asked if its basically spread to all of them.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

fart simpson posted:

Hong Kong went from 50k+ to under 2k in around 5 weeks without a lockdown

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kill All Cops posted:

Hong Kong went from 50k+ to under 2k in around 5 weeks without a lockdown

The fear of that I think is that it would require them to establish a border around Shanghai as rigid as Hong Kong's boundary, lest the virus escape to the rest of the country. Might be difficult to ensure that is actually enforced but all the remaining options carry some cost with them at this point

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

they should do that bugs bunny sawing off florida thing but for shanghai

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
a reminder from something well-repeated early in the pandemic: the tests are not positive until someone after is already contagious for a couple of days, so a high case count suggests that uncontrolled community transmission has been going on already

with very high case counts, both a "obsessive focus on positive case count" and a "bend the curve" ICU capacity strategy imply a lockdown, the implied strategy only changes with lower case counts. An ICU capacity strategy allows nursing a low but constantly nonzero case count

there's something to be said for a "dynamic zero" strategy which is still sane re: households with some members positive and some negative, households with dependents requiring full-time care, and households with pets. I speculated previously that the availability of mass testing as an option is deranging the Shanghai policy response - too much temptation to try to be cute with smart differentiation

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

The fear of that I think is that it would require them to establish a border around Shanghai as rigid as Hong Kong's boundary, lest the virus escape to the rest of the country. Might be difficult to ensure that is actually enforced but all the remaining options carry some cost with them at this point

I'm surprised that's not their first reaction this week, it does feel like the response is failing towards Wuhan 2.0.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Not So Fast posted:

Pretty much, yeah. They've just started publishing which communities haven't had a case in the past 7 days (people in those communities can go outside in the community itself) and it's consistently around 5-10% of the total.

Meanwhile my community somehow manages to get a new case every loving day meaning I'm on a rolling lockdown.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/danwwang/status/1513148803821424640

this is dark as poo poo

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
i'm not surprised that the chinese government is being like this or that the situation is extremely hosed up, but i'll never really get used to reactionary messaging that boils down to "how dare you think this looks extremely hosed up"

which i'll have to keep in mind as the imagery coming out of this keeps getting crazier

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kavros posted:

i'm not surprised that the chinese government is being like this or that the situation is extremely hosed up, but i'll never really get used to reactionary messaging that boils down to "how dare you think this looks extremely hosed up"

which i'll have to keep in mind as the imagery coming out of this keeps getting crazier

It all feels rather familiar, really.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/13/business/china-covid-zero-shanghai.html

quote:

China’s ‘Zero-Covid’ Mess Proves Autocracy Hurts Everyone
The fear in China is that the strict coronavirus policy has become another Mao-style political campaign with devastating effects.
--
By Li Yuan
April 13, 2022, 5:00 a.m. ET

Long before the “zero Covid” policy, China had a “zero sparrow” policy.

In the spring of 1958, the Chinese government mobilized the entire nation to exterminate sparrows, which Mao declared pests that destroyed crops. All over China, people banged on pots and pans, lit firecrackers and waved flags to prevent the birds from landing so they would fall and die from exhaustion. By one estimation, nearly two billion sparrows were killed nationwide within months.

The near extinction of sparrows led to insect infestations, which ruined crops and contributed to the Great Famine that starved tens of millions of Chinese to death in the next three years.

The fear in China now is that the “zero Covid” policy has become another Mao-style political campaign that is based on the will of one person, the country’s top leader, Xi Jinping — and that it could end up hurting everyone.

Just as Mao and his lieutenants ignored the opposition to their anti-sparrow policy from scientists and technocrats, Beijing has ignored experts’ advice that China abandon its costly strategy and learn to coexist with the virus, especially a milder, if more infectious, variant.

Instead, Beijing insists on following the same playbook from 2020 that relies on mass testing, quarantine and lockdowns. The approach has put hundreds of millions of people’s lives on pause, sent tens of thousands to makeshift quarantine camps and deprived many non-Covid patients of medical treatments.

“They’re not countering the pandemic. They’re creating disasters,” Ye Qing, a law scholar who is known by his pen name Xiao Han, wrote in an online article that was swiftly deleted.

Mr. Xi is keen to stick to the strategy because he is seeking a third term at an important Communist Party congress later this year. He wants to use China’s success in containing the virus to prove that its top-down governance model is superior to that of liberal democracies.

“This disease has been politicized,” Zhu Weiping, an official in Shanghai’s disease control apparatus, told a person who complained about the city’s response to the ongoing outbreak. In a recorded phone conversation, the official said she had advised the government to let people with no or mild symptoms quarantine at home and focus on vaccination drives. But no one listened, she said.

“You’re driven crazy by this?” she asked the caller. “Professional institutions like us are going crazy, too.” The recording was shared widely before it was censored.

As the Omicron variant spreads, about 373 million people in 45 Chinese cities are under either full or partial lockdowns as of Monday, according to estimates by economists at the investment bank Nomura. These cities account for 26 percent of China’s population and 40 percent of its economic output, they wrote; they warned that the risk of recession was rising as local governments competed to ratchet up virus-containment measures.

Beijing is now urging local governments to strike a balance between pandemic control and economic production. But everyone in the bureaucratic system knows where the priority lies.

In the city of Jixi in China’s northernmost province of Heilongjiang, 18 officials, including township leaders, law enforcement chiefs as well as directors of a hospital and a funeral home, were disciplined or reprimanded recently for neglecting their duties and responsibilities in pandemic control. Some cadres “weren’t stressed out enough,” said the announcement.

In Shanghai, China’s largest and most affluent city, at least eight midlevel officials were removed or suspended from their positions after the city’s poorly executed lockdowns caused chaos, tragedies and severe food shortages.

After the city locked down its 25 million residents and grounded most delivery services in early April, many people encountered problems sourcing food, regardless of their socioeconomic status. Some set multiple alarms for the different restocking times of grocery delivery apps that start as early as 6 a.m.

In the past few days, a hot topic in WeChat groups has been whether sprouted potatoes were safe to eat, a few Shanghai residents told me. Neighbors resorted to a barter system to exchange, say, a cabbage for a bottle of soy sauce. Coca-Cola is hard currency.

After nearly two weeks under lockdown, Dai Xin, a restaurant owner, is running out of food to provide for her household of four. Now she slices ginger paper thin, pickles vegetables so they won’t spoil and eats two meals a day instead of three.

Even the moneyed class is facing food supply shortages. The head of a big retailer told me last week that she got many requests from Shanghai-based chief executives. But there was little she could do under lockdown rules, the executive said, who spoke on the condition of anonymity given the political sensitivities.

Wang Lixiong, the author of the apocalyptic novel “China Tidal Wave,” which ended with a great famine in the aftermath of a nuclear winter, believes that a man-made crisis like the one in Shanghai is inevitable under China’s authoritarian system. In recent years, he said in an interview, the risk increased after Beijing clamped down on nearly every aspect of civil society.

After moving into a friend’s vacant apartment in Shanghai last winter, he stocked up on rice, noodles, canned food and whiskey to sustain him for a few months in case of a crisis.

But many residents in the luxury apartment complex, with units valued at more than $3 million, weren’t as prepared when the lockdown started. He saw his neighbors, who dashed around in designer suits a month ago, venture into the complex’s lush garden to dig up bamboo shoots for a meal.

The worst nightmare for many Shanghai residents is testing positive and being sent to centralized quarantine facilities. The conditions of some facilities are so appalling that they’re called “refugee camps” and “concentration camps” on social media.

Many people shared packing lists and tips for quarantine. Take earplugs and eye masks because it’s usually a giant place like the convention center and the lights are on day and night; pack lots of disposable underwear because there’s no shower facility; and bring large amounts of toilet paper. Some quarantine camps were so poorly prepared that people had to fight for food, water and bedding.

The many despairing posts about Shanghai sent residents in other parts of China into a hoarding craze last weekend. In Beijing, supermarkets were packed, and some grocery apps ran out stock.

A growing number of people are questioning whether the draconian and costly strategy is necessary. On Tuesday, the Shanghai health authority reported more than 200,000 infection cases since March 1, with nine in serious condition and no deaths. Officials haven’t addressed reports of mass infections and deaths at elder-care hospitals.

Even some supporters of the “zero Covid” policy have voiced their doubts. When Shanghai carried out citywide Covid tests on April 4, Lang Xianping, an economist, said on his verified Weibo account that it demonstrated “the power of China.” On Monday, he said that his mother had passed away after Covid restrictions delayed treatment for her kidney condition. “I hope tragedies like this won’t happen again,” he wrote.

The policy still enjoys strong public support. Many people on social media said that Shanghai wasn’t strict enough in its lockdowns and quarantines. A venture capitalist posted on WeChat that he would not invest in start-up founders who didn’t back the policy.

This is not surprising. With limited access to information and no tools to hold the authority accountable, the vast majority of Chinese generally support whatever the government decides.

In the past two years, they followed Beijing’s cue and attacked critics of its pandemic policy. They rallied around Beijing, which increasingly applied the social suppression mechanism in Xinjiang to the rest of the country in the name of pandemic control. Now, many of them are suffering from the consequences but, unlike Wuhan, there are no more citizen journalists or large volunteer groups to help them.

“When repressions didn’t touch them, most Chinese ignored them,” Lawrence Li, a business consultant in Shanghai, said in an interview. “We believe that it’s just to sacrifice minority interests in favor of the collective.”

Like many people, he said what’s happening in Shanghai echoes the anti-sparrow campaign. “History repeats itself again and again,” he said.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

quote:

In the past two years, they followed Beijing’s cue and attacked critics of its pandemic policy. They rallied around Beijing, which increasingly applied the social suppression mechanism in Xinjiang to the rest of the country in the name of pandemic control. Now, many of them are suffering from the consequences but, unlike Wuhan, there are no more citizen journalists or large volunteer groups to help them.

“When repressions didn’t touch them, most Chinese ignored them,” Lawrence Li, a business consultant in Shanghai, said in an interview. “We believe that it’s just to sacrifice minority interests in favor of the collective.”

Like many people, he said what’s happening in Shanghai echoes the anti-sparrow campaign. “History repeats itself again and again,” he said.

Fascinating, and terrifying. It has been truly interesting to watch authoritarian regimes around the world and how they've responded to the pandemic. In Russia it appears to be "pandemic, what pandemic? nothing happening here" while in China the CCP has gone full absolute-social-control on their citizens.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1514474249565933569
https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1514474261767143426
https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1514474266691260418

although such policies reduce the wealth of the country over time relative to the counterfactual, they're also better for social stability (by allowing unemployment to be responsively nailed to the floor in every short run: just gas the supply side a little)

mainly, this is remarkable in how merely naming a thing in the national discourse (grey rhino, dual circulation, goal of raising national consumption) is not sufficient to rationally orient policy around it if the institutional inertia is large enough. One can see the grey rhino, and yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1514714956456992776

psycho poo poo

when are the chinese going to rise up against CCP's brutal oppression