Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

My bet for if Roe gets overturned you'd see a reproductive rights guarantee amended onto the Constitution within 10 years

Don't amendments need to get 2/3rds of states to approve? And like 40% of our states are cow pastures represented by blood-gargling psychopaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcella posted:

Any pro-lifer that doesn't vociferously support comprehensive access to contraceptives is immediately showing their rear end that being pro-life is about control over people's women's sexuality.

I mean, rationally yeah but they absolutely don't see that contradiction and you couldn't explain it to them.

PostNouveau posted:

Don't amendments need to get 2/3rds of states to approve? And like 40% of our states are cow pastures represented by blood-gargling psychopaths

Yes it seems impossible from where we are right now but I think that the political landscape in a post-Roe America is unimaginably different.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 26, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Over the past month my mom’s neighbors have escalated from a US flag and a Texas flag to those plus another US, thin blue line, no step snek, and TRUMP PENCE gently caress YOUR FEELINGS

This is both depressing and hilarious

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

gonna lol forever if abbott's loving up of the virus response led to the courts throwing out their attempts at eliminating straight ticket voting

It did

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Over the past month my mom’s neighbors have escalated from a US flag and a Texas flag to those plus another US, thin blue line, no step snek, and TRUMP PENCE gently caress YOUR FEELINGS

This is both depressing and hilarious

six flags over texas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I just checked how the park addressed the confederate flag stuff and Six Flags actually stopped flying it in 2017 and it's odd that I never heard Abbott or Sid Miller or anybody whining about it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

So I just checked how the park addressed the confederate flag stuff and Six Flags actually stopped flying it in 2017 and it's odd that I never heard Abbott or Sid Miller or anybody whining about it

everyone knows the real culture war is in schlitterbahn now

https://twitter.com/neilaglet/status/1309396092270850048?s=20

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I mean, rationally yeah but they absolutely don't see that contradiction and you couldn't explain it to them.

Also the same grift-based film industry pushing the abortion-horror stuff also pushes the idea that anything besides for complete abstinence is at best a way to trick people into having sex and getting abortions or at worst is an abortion every month.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's hard to figure out how to deal with a whole group of people who have been sealed off in a contained social environment and fed constant lies about the horrors just outside the bubble. I don't really know what would work aside from forcibly cracking them open or plugging up all the holes to the outside so they slowly die off in the background without being able to hurt anyone.

And they wouldn't be as much of a problem if we had stronger democratic representation, but we can't improve our democracy without overcoming these people by a very large margin. The US constitution is very hard to amend and there's a lot of people who have a lot invested in no changes ever happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Politically active evangelicals weren't really a thing until the 70s (with roots started in the 50s), mostly they abstained from the earthly political process for the same reason then that they don't worry about climate change now. Then came Falwell and the moral majority and here we are. My point is, that in my opinion, without the constant drumbeat of TRAP legislation turning out that fanatical and rock-solid reliable abortion-voter bloc, the GOP wouldn't be nearly as powerful in a 55/45 nation like we live in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

forcibly cracking them open or plugging up all the holes to the outside so they slowly die off in the background

we should at least try reeducation camps before we get that violent

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Arcella posted:

Any pro-lifer that doesn't vociferously support comprehensive access to contraceptives is immediately showing their rear end that being pro-life is about control over people's women's sexuality.

Well, see above about people being contained in a bubble; Planned Parenthood's own statistics say that some percentage of women seeking abortions were using contraception, which to people who already think contraception is bad proves that contraceptives don't prevent abortions. The Catholic Church teaches that contraception is bad, and because the FDA labels some contraceptives as potentially abortifacient, some people in the Republican-media bubble think that all hormonal contraceptives always kill embryos, which in turn is, I think, the ostensible reason any Protestant opposes contraception. (That's the argument for why Hobby Lobby was willing to pay for birth control pills but not IUDs; the FDA labeling. Was that actually Hobby Lobby's reasoning? I highly doubt it.. Was it very convincing to people who'd heard the "if you take birth control pills you've killed some of your children and you'll never know how many!!!!!" line enough times? Definitely.)

As a Catholic, I think that paying for insurance is sufficiently remote cooperation with contraception that I don't have qualms about that, and I think that something being sinful is not a good enough reason for it to be illegal (see also: blasphemy, failure to attend Mass, remarriage after divorce), so I don't want to restrict access to contraception. But "don't want to restrict" and "vociferously support access to" are very different things, and the latter's never going to happen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought that the religious basis for opposing contraception was that one bit of the bible where a guy was fuckin' his brother's wife and kept pulling out instead of knocking her up. Weird stuff.

Are there any priests or preachers speaking out about any of the sins that the republicans are guilty of committing, aiding, and abetting while they portray themselves as pious? I feel like it's weird that territory just gets automatically ceded to them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought that the religious basis for opposing contraception was that one bit of the bible where a guy was fuckin' his brother's wife and kept pulling out instead of knocking her up. Weird stuff.

Are there any priests or preachers speaking out about any of the sins that the republicans are guilty of committing, aiding, and abetting while they portray themselves as pious? I feel like it's weird that territory just gets automatically ceded to them.
There are huge numbers of religious groups that are either not particularly Christo-fascist or are specifically opposed to it, however that would complicate an established media narrative in which Republicans love God and are good on the economy etc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Some denominations (episcopalians/anglican in north america for example) have historically trended pretty progressive and pro social welfare. They just don't get signal boosted by the right for obvious reasons, and on the left there's really no need to. Either you're already in the religion and that informs your politics or you're not going to care whether a priest thinks gay marriage is cool or not. Hell even catholics fall into that category if you can ignore the obviously regressive stances. Like hell the episcopalian church by my house in high school, in loving Lubbock, was explicitly an LGBTQ safe space long before I saw one anywhere else, and the first place I ever saw a pride flag actually flown and not just hanging on someone's wall.

Also, in the US, from the outside at least, it seems people who aren't catholic or episcopalian tend to shop around for a church that conforms to their views rather than letting the church influence their politics. The right obviously has a symbiotic relationship with the chuddy churches, the for profit-grifter churches obviously skew right, etc. There's a lot of factors that lead to right wing christians being louder.

Hell it's the same with jews too, there's plenty of jewish opposition to the US's undying support of palestinian death but you'll never hear that unless you look for it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SlothfulCobra posted:

My namesake.

quote:

No, because the left invariably turns it into an attack on religion itself, which becomes predictably counterproductive.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It looks like Ballottrax is in use in Texas. I think you can check there to see if your vote was counted.

Edit: was looking at the wrong page, but that was in response to the mail in voter last page

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mailed in my new voter registration address change last Friday (the 18th) since I changed counties. How long do these things take to get back again? Worst-case case scenario here is I'd just have to vote in my old polling area, but these things should zip along pretty smoothly now.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

That's how it is for every single social conservative issue, and that's the scam: the financial wing of the party wants to continue to pass unpopular and regressive economic legislation for which there is no constituency and to do so they leverage people motivated by non-tangible things: religion, grievance, *phobias, etc. There are a significant number of voters in this country who don't think climate change is an important issue because they believe Christ will return before it becomes a problem. So how do you make an economic argument for people who are more worried about what happens to them after they die than what happens now? People who believe the world is supposed to be fallen and evil, that suffering is a natural condition of life - deep down many of them don't believe things should be better, that if the government eased their corporeal pain it would make them less righteous.

As far as specifically pro-lifers, most of them believe that abortion is murdering babies, and this is reinforced constantly by their churches, social circles, political leaders and a vast media empire that churns out endless Saw films except Jigsaw is an abortionist and your pastor screens them for the entire congregation. Women who have abortions are imagined to be minority welfare queens who are simultaneously having children for more government checks while having multiple abortions per year.

You can post the chart about how, aha, actually if you analyze it this is about controlling women more than it is about murdering babies, but most hard core pro-lifers legit believe it's murdering babies, enhanced by prejudice against what kinds of people they think have abortions.

I don't know about a chart but these people routinely show their rear end on how highly they value a human life when it comes to how they feel their "inferiors" should be treated. Bomb every Muslim, imprison or murder every black man, and put everyone else who fails the paper bag test in a camp. Poor whites? Those can get murdered too for all they give a poo poo. Celebrate the child in Kenosha who domed a man across a parkinglot. Cheer him on for shooting even more when people tried to disarm the literal active shooter killing them.

But no, when it comes to women's sexuality these people suddenly start to cry crocodile tears about abortions and dead babies while simultaneously doing literally everything they possibly can to cause them. They don't give a poo poo about babies; It's purely about grinding the loving boot into those they feel are beneath them.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's hard to figure out how to deal with a whole group of people who have been sealed off in a contained social environment and fed constant lies about the horrors just outside the bubble. I don't really know what would work aside from forcibly cracking them open or plugging up all the holes to the outside so they slowly die off in the background without being able to hurt anyone.

And they wouldn't be as much of a problem if we had stronger democratic representation, but we can't improve our democracy without overcoming these people by a very large margin. The US constitution is very hard to amend and there's a lot of people who have a lot invested in no changes ever happening.

The easiest way is prevention, which means you're going to have to do everything you can to disempower the ludicrously wealthy. They're the ones who bankroll all of this dumb poo poo. All these make work publications for fat middle age conservative writers that only stay afloat because of absolute shitloads of outside money. All the dogshit nonprofits and think tanks floated along by borderline psychotic fracking/natural gas billionaires. The lovely loving PACs who have brian geneous ideas like dunking on MJ for having tattoos. If you cut their purse strings they'll just vanish faster than you could even imagine.

You can do this by taxing them, by not allowing them to buy up shitloads of local news stations/outlets like Sinclair media does, by not allowing public campaign financing at all, shitcanning Citizen's United, ranked choice voting, kicking the more violent and crazy dickheads off Facebook if you want, and just generally not allowing these assholes to accumulate more money and power than God in the first place. None of this backwards poo poo that infests our national conciousness is even remotely an organic phenomenon, and so long as some random dickhead can drop a hundred million telling people that having healthcare is an antifa plot while still making another 300 million that year we will never live in an even vaguely democratic society. Nor will we be able to cement even vaguely progressive (or God forbid socdem) reforms in the long term.

Also people seem to conveniently de-radicalize over time once they're cut off from the steady supply of psychotic conspiracy.

Tl;dr hit the motherfuckers in the money.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Episcopalians

Yeah I grew up in an Episcopalian family. Legitimately did not know evangelicals were a -thing- till late in highschool. I thought everyone was just talking about some weird metaphorical poo poo for a long time, but then it sort of clicked and a lot of the weird assholes I ran across in the past made a lot more sense.

Like my biology teacher who tried to own the libs by telling us evolutionists think a cell wall rolled around like a loving katamari sucking up cell parts to create the first life.

fakeedit: phoneposting at work, hope this is vaguely coherent

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 27, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The GOP has appointed 14 of the last 18 SCOTUS justices and Roe and Casey are still here.

It isn't going anywhere, and the GOP doesn't want it to - it is too valuable for their electoral strategies.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sab0921 posted:

The GOP has appointed 14 of the last 18 SCOTUS justices and Roe and Casey are still here.

It isn't going anywhere, and the GOP doesn't want it to - it is too valuable for their electoral strategies.

Do the justices they keep appointing know that?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FBS posted:

Do the justices they keep appointing know that?

absolutely yes imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, raise your hand if you thought the ACA was gonna be dead meat on January 22, 2017

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

locking up chelsea clinton will be a plank in the GOP platform in 2052

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sab0921 posted:

This is my guess, but I'm batting a solid .0000 on "guessing how poo poo will play out in 2020".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lmao that "dobby" is trending simultaneously on Texas and Korea twitters, it's two separate dobbys, and neither is the harry potter one

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmao that "dobby" is trending simultaneously on Texas and Korea twitters, it's two separate dobbys, and neither is the harry potter one

It's not even the Dobby from UK's Peep Show.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Sab0921 posted:

I want to keep this, enshrine this so that next year we can see:

Sab0921 posted:

I am shocked, utterly shocked Roe v Wade was struck down, how did this happen?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's always a chance the dog catches the car but imo the kayfabe holds

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

i say swears online posted:

locking up chelsea clinton will be a plank in the GOP platform in 2052

Tickled that you think humanity will make it that far...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm an optimist, what can I say. incumbent North West should hold off the challenge from the opposition GOP and their nominee nick sandmann

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Amy Barrett is a 100% true believer and a good example of how the batch of idiots that have most recently come to power in the GOP are ones who grew up marinated in GOP propaganda and don't realize that it is bullshit only intended as a means to an end (getting their base to vote for them so they can loot everything).

Scalia knew that his values and "originalism" were just kefabe. Roberts knows that he can only get his pro-corporate poo poo through if he threads the needle of delivering small scraps of red meat to the theocracy nutters without pissing off everyone else. Barrett is completely unlike either of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really understand why pro-lifers are so gung-ho about what they do, but I feel like probably all the issues that have had an immediate and direct effect on their lives will probably have a greater effect on the way they vote. It's not like abortion rights are that strong these days anyways.

Ever since the Supreme Court rejected the Voting Rights act, I noticed that they've otherwise refused to defend democracy in any meaningful way for a long while. Corporations are people and Redmap was given the green light. "Constitutionalism" is just another farce for reinforcing their personal politics. It's not like the 2nd amendment actually meant unrestricted gun ownership before the NRA conjured that interpretation to make some extra money in murder sales.

pretty sure theyre incapable of slowing down, which is going to bite them in the rear end

theyve already won in most states. with scotus not shutting down all the "admitting privileges" and whatever legislation it basically ended abortion throughout tons are areas.

zoux posted:

Yes it seems impossible from where we are right now but I think that the political landscape in a post-Roe America is unimaginably different.

this is the rub, if they overtun roe everything changes. especially when they have to figure out how to actually charge women with murder for getting abortions

Shifty Pony posted:

Amy Barrett is a 100% true believer and a good example of how the batch of idiots that have most recently come to power in the GOP are ones who grew up marinated in GOP propaganda and don't realize that it is bullshit only intended as a means to an end (getting their base to vote for them so they can loot everything).

Scalia knew that his values and "originalism" were just kefabe. Roberts knows that he can only get his pro-corporate poo poo through if he threads the needle of delivering small scraps of red meat to the theocracy nutters without pissing off everyone else. Barrett is completely unlike either of them.

yeah this is why im not so sure the right wont end up over the handlebars or whatever the saying is. the old guard knew how to play the game. Falwell was there to get paid and gain power, he didnt actually want to change anything. all their followers though are true believers and never learned that it was a scam.

its like when some reporter asked trump about abortion in 16 and he said it should be illegal an they asked him what should happen to women that get abortions and the GOP had to shut him up before he gave the game away.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If Roe goes I would be shocked if we don't see Fugitive Fetus Acts as states that ban abortion try to keep their citizens from traveling out of state to get one, and try to use long-arm of the law principles to harass providers in other states who are "enticing" their citizens to Murder Babby. That might be a wake up call to the rich that the monster they've been building will gleefully rip them apart too.

It probably won't be, but it might.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I see the argument that conservatives don't actually want to get rid of abortion and that it's forever just a tool for electoral politics for both parties, but we've had the right to get one severely restricted to the point where it's not actually accessible for tons and tons of poor women across the country and we've literally seen women who miscarry receive manslaughter charges. I do think if it became banned, they'd just continue to go after contraception or suggest Democrats want to bring back abortion, but I think Roe being overturned is actually possible after decades of it being chipped away.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's hard to play Zeno's Paradox with policy issues because you'll stumble those last couple inches anyways. They can still try the trick of trying to make their base believe that they still haven't accomplished that yet, but that's a hard trick to pull off.

I'll never forget learning that Republicans were fighting against tax reforms that would make it simpler to pay taxes because if it's psychologically a burden they can keep running for office on the premise of lowering taxes regardless of how low taxes already are or who they're lowering taxes for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well here’s one guarantee: we're gonna fuckin find out

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Yeah - I guess it is wishful thinking on my part that Roe won't be overturned. It really loving sucks that we are about to find out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
:stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1310621425758343173

Whoa