Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

that photo made my monitor dirty

i'm lazy about cleaning solargraph negatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

brett shluff

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

keyboard vomit posted:

pinhole cameras are cool

Porch by Brett Schlough, on Flickr

nice fake half timbered house

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

brett shluff

no one gets it right the first time

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
neat
https://twitter.com/mothgenerator

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Linguica posted:

Yeah I wasn't thrilled by that

Linguica is :cool:

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

i miss this

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

same

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

old crew represent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i too remember when sa was funny and relevant

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

cool bolaji badejo action figure

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

as it turned out, the naive goon was not a renewable resource

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
robert cop

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

as it turned out, the naive goon was not a renewable resource
the goons delved too greedily and too deep

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Linux Pirate posted:

cool bolaji badejo action figure

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0--fG2xEe0
im the

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
me: come on lets go for a walk. come on. get up. you need to go for a walk. you're gonna get fat and sad if you don't. come on. let's go for a walk. come on you little poo poo.
dog:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dog: shut the gently caress up

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

fat dogs are better than skinny dogs

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm bummed they don't do WTF D&D anymore

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

ADINSX posted:

I'm bummed they don't do WTF D&D anymore

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

super high me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nash Regex posted:

old crew represent.

aw hell yes son

WHY YOU THROW CHIP??!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
here we go here's something that's actually YOSPOS related:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/07/20/men-who-harass-women-online-are-quite-literally-losers-new-study-finds/

quote:

Here’s a research finding that should surprise no one: The men most likely to harass women online … are the men most likely to have their own problems.

That bit of validation comes courtesy Michael Kasumovic and Jeffrey Kuznekoff, researchers at the University of New South Wales and Miami University, respectively. For their latest study, published in the journal PLOS One last week, the duo watched how men treated women during 163 plays of the video game Halo 3.

[The only guide to Gamergate you’ll ever need to read]

As they watched the games play out and tracked the comments that players made to each other, the researchers observed that — no matter their skill level, or how the game went — men tended to be pretty cordial to each other. Male players who were good at the game also tended to pay compliments to other male and female players.

Some male players, however — the ones who were less-skilled at the game, and performing worse relative their peers — made frequent, nasty comments to the female gamers. In other words, sexist dudes are literally losers.

A chart from the Halo study that shows how nice male gamers were to other males (dotted line) and females (solid line) during gameplay. Men always treat each other about the same. But the better a player gets, the more likely he is to be nice to ladies. (Kasumovic et al)
In today’s online environment, alas, this is not an idle observation. According to a recent Pew report, 40 percent of Internet users have personally experienced harassment. While both genders are frequent victims of this abuse, women tend to get the worst of it: They are “particularly vulnerable to sexual harassment and stalking,” Pew said.

[Online harassment isn’t just a women’s issue — it hurts guys, too]

I asked Kasumovic, the lead author on the study, how applicable his findings were in other online or offline settings. In other words, how much of this derives from human nature, and how much of it relates to the unique demands of first-person shooters?

Kasumovic argues that video games actually make incredible proxies for studying real-life behavior — Halo 3, especially.

There are three things you should know about the game, for the purpose of understanding this study: (1) players are anonymous, and the possibility of “policing individual behavior is almost impossible”; (2) they only encounter each other a few times in passing — it’s very possible to hurl an expletive at another player, and never “see” him or her again; and (3) finally, and perhaps predictably, the sex-ratio of players is biased pretty heavily toward men. (A 2014 survey of gender ratios on Reddit found that r/halo was over 95 percent male.)

That should sound a whole lot like a lot of other, frequently sexist online spaces: Think Twitter. Or Reddit. Or 4chan.

[Everything you need to know about 4chan, the Internet’s own bogeyman]

In each of these environments, Kasumovic suggests, a recent influx of female participants has disrupted a pre-existing social hierarchy. That’s okay for the guys at the top — but for the guys at the bottom, who stand to lose more status, that’s very threatening. (It’s also in keeping with the evolutionary framework on anti-lady hostility, which suggests sexism is a kind of Neanderthal defense mechanism for low-status, non-dominant men trying to maintain a shaky grip on their particular cave’s supply of women.)

“As men often rely on aggression to maintain their dominant social status,” Kasumovic writes, “the increase in hostility towards a woman by lower-status males may be an attempt to disregard a female’s performance and suppress her disturbance on the hierarchy to retain their social rank.”

In other words, like your mother always said, bullies just feel bad about themselves.

This does not, alas, suggest any solutions for on- or offline sexism, or any hope that it will ever really end. (“There are so many more questions we’ve already begun to to ask and our results are looking really interesting,” Kasumovic said.)

Until then, ladies, Facebook and Pinterest are your friends! Those are, for better or worse, two of the online spaces where this type of sex-ratio imbalance isn’t much of a problem: Women on both sites solidly outnumber men.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

im the rageface

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

im the cigarette not being smoked by a 12 year old playing xbox

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tyte

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
im the dude reading his facebook while smoking which means he's a halo gamer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

aw hell yes son

WHY YOU THROW CHIP??!

hay guys i shaved my vagina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hay guys i shaved my vagina