Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well duh! All those republican presidents had Democratic presidents before them/and or democratic majority congresses/house's. So it was obviously the democrats fault no matter what.

edit*

And obviously those Democratic presidents had Republicans right before them/and or republican majority congresses/house's. So the low debt was the republicans doing no matter what. :smug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Reagan debt was due to poor economic policies from Carter while the Clinton surplus was because of the majesty of trickle-down economics and the Bush deficit was because of Clinton's disastrous economic management and so on and so forth.

Checkmate, libtards.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

quote:

libtard

As someone whose mother has spent the bulk of her life working with children with special needs I hate this loving word so goddamn much. But you know if I ever call any of my conservative friends on it I get told that political correctness is what's wrong with America. I know people here use it as a way to make fun and I know I'm preaching to the choir but just wanted to get it off my chest.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

As someone whose mother has spent the bulk of her life working with children with special needs I hate this loving word so goddamn much. But you know if I ever call any of my conservative friends on it I get told that political correctness is what's wrong with America. I know people here use it as a way to make fun and I know I'm preaching to the choir but just wanted to get it off my chest.

PC movement is worse than poverty, racism, and sexism all rolled into one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xombie posted:

And it started to level during the Clinton years.
I still feel like it's not a good idea to mention this, since everyone remembers the Clinton years as boom years (and this means the right has to deny that Clinton had anything to do with them) and so, duh, of course the debt lessened, times were good.

Admittedly, this has only come up once in my conversations ever, but there was absolutely no dislodging that idea.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

This is from a few pages back, but;

quote:

I would live in Alabama. There are low taxes and very friendly, non-discriminate people there. I have family in Alabama and because of this reason I have visited many times. Alabama is a wonderful place to live. Lower crime than vermont, people respect your property, opinion, and (yes it is shocking) different color of SKIN. GASP! You mean people in the South aren't racist like we steryotype them to be?
Less pollutuion too.

quote:

Do they have any black people in Vermont? Do they have any Asian or Hispanic people in Vermont? According to census.gov Vermont is very white and very culturally un-diverse with over 96% of the population being white. Do they even let non-whites into Vermont?

Alabama is more diverse with a higher percentage of blacks, hispanics and asians than Vermont.

If you said Vermont then you are a racist.

This enrages me. The South is as segregated as it was 50 years ago in a lot of ways. You have a split between city centers populated by non-white people and white flight towns adjacent to them (Memphis has South Haven and Olive Branch, Jackson has Madison, Hattiesburg has Oak Grove, etc.). We still have segregation schools here--private academies that used alienation, ostracization, and the very real threat of lynching to keep black students out. You can go your entire life here without interacting with anyone non-white other than across-the-counter transactions where they are paid minimum wage to serve you.

I mean, maybe Vermont is only better because of its lack of minorities, but Alabama is not diverse. It's segregated. Same for Mississippi where I am, and the rest of the Deep South.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I think it's telling that there are so many childish namecalling puns that the right has for the left but not really any widely used by the left for the right.

When a conservative says liberal it's like ashes in their mouth, but I don't really see that level of vitriol when liberals say "conservative."

LtStorm posted:

This enrages me. The South is as segregated as it was 50 years ago in a lot of ways. You have a split between city centers populated by non-white people and white flight towns adjacent to them (Memphis has South Haven and Olive Branch, Jackson has Madison, Hattiesburg has Oak Grove, etc.). We still have segregation schools here--private academies that used alienation, ostracization, and the very real threat of lynching to keep black students out. You can go your entire life here without interacting with anyone non-white other than across-the-counter transactions where they are paid minimum wage to serve you.

I mean, maybe Vermont is only better because of its lack of minorities, but Alabama is not diverse. It's segregated. Same for Mississippi where I am, and the rest of the Deep South.

Yeah ask him why he thinks there are so many blacks in the South relative to the North.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

LtStorm posted:

keeping on the memphis front, segration is always in force on beale street. white kids get into bars with no cover, while everyone else has to pay $5-20 to get in

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Dalmuti posted:

keeping on the memphis front, segration is always in force on beale street. white kids get into bars with no cover, while everyone else has to pay $5-20 to get in

Wait, what? :wtc:

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

EDIT: d/p

Mitchicon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 11, 2013

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

zoux posted:

We were in the car so I couldn't bust out charts or anything, but I don't think that it would've mattered. I honestly think that if a person is swayed by good evidence, they are more likely to be a liberal. I've seen so many debates "well you can make a study/survey/expert say whatever you want" or "liberal bias" that I don't believe that it's even worth trying to prove an ideological issue to most conservatives. There is literally no evidence they'd except that will modify their opinion.

My step-dad had flat-out said that there's no evidence that could make him change his mind. We were having a debate about gun control (that, somehow, included him arguing that Aperthid in South Africa was not that bad and Nelson Mandela is evil), and he kept citing some book that claims increased handgun ownership decreases crime. I found the book on my phone, showed him that there were merely academics who disagreed with his idea and my step-dad disregarded that whole idea because of the left liberal elitist professors or something. I asked him what kind of evidence would be sufficient to challenge his ideas and he told me nothing would ever change his mind.

So, yeah, I have up arguing at that point because what's the point?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Laminator posted:

Yeah at that point you are wasting your time. It's a religious belief, not a political one.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Laminator posted:

You know what feels pretty awesome after constant fruitless arguments like this? Talking with someone who argues in good faith.

When I was in the Army, I wound up in an argument about the effects of gun control with one of my team leaders (I was the squad leader, he was in my squad). We went back and forth starting with the normal empty rhetoric and posturing for a bit until the discussion got narrowed down to something quantifiable (I think it was crime rate over time compared to gun ownership or something). At that point, one of us made a claim that needed a source and the other demanded one immediately (I don't remember if it was me or him). Since we were in a Humvee at 9 at night and there was nary a source to be had to back or refute anyone's claims, we agreed that this argument had gotten to the stage of uselessness and just dropped it. He's a well-educated guy (Bachelors' in Sociology to my high school degree) and we always had good-natured discussions about religion and other topics that are easy to talk about. It was really cool to have an argument where both parties just decided that it was impossible to win and that was fine without anyone getting all bitter and pissed off, or taking anything personal, or resorting to name-calling or using hyperbole or any of that poo poo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Eulogistics posted:

You know what feels pretty awesome after constant fruitless arguments like this? Talking with someone who argues in good faith.

I have a super libertarian friend who hates my liberal ways and always argues in good faith. It's awesome. We actually find out what points we disagree on in some material way, vs the wankery that always gets brought out in any debate. And there ARE some things that we each hold that it's not even really possible to compromise on beyond agreeing to disagree. Still, it's incredibly refreshing to say "uh no dude that doesn't count as a credible source" and not only have the issue dropped, but also not have him trot out different bullshit from the same source sometime in the future.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dalmuti posted:

Show me these bars that I can get in for free because I don't believe they exist, I'm always paying cover and I'm a white as the driven snow

For content: can anyone source these claims so I can put my drat family bickering to rest

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Show me these bars that I can get in for free because I don't believe they exist, I'm always paying cover and I'm a white as the driven snow

For content: can anyone source these claims so I can put my drat family bickering to rest

http://www.inquisitr.com/832039/was-trayvon-martin-an-honor-student-with-a-3-7-gpa/

It seems like he was a nice guy, but none of those are verifiable.

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 12, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
People, actual people, in this country, who sometimes rise to positions of power, are celebrating the death of a child as a proxy for Obama, Al Sharpton, the Democrats, and black people who not only are allowed to say the N word, but cracker as well.

They loving smile using "If Obama had a son, he would have looked like Trayvon," as a justification for his death. They fantasize about killing a man's children!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
But note that you should REALLY EMPHASIZE that this just isn't verifiable. That is, it could be true for all we know. Many conservatives will think that the fact that it's unverifiable means that the exact opposite is true, which of course justifies his death. It's insane but people don't know how deal with evidence.

At least your family bickers instead of all agreeing that Glenn Beck is a great American :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh, just a reminder. Not even like a week after the story broke nationally and everybody was like, "Wait, a dude gunned down a black teen and was never tried?" an enterprising businessman made targets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/money/george-zimmerman-lawyer-outraged-trayvon-martin-shooting-target-hoodie-prints-article-1.1076865

And an officer was fired like 2 months ago for bringing them to a shooting range that is less than 50 miles from Sanford, FL: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/16/trayvon-target-unacceptable-official-says/2088937/

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Phone posted:

Oh, just a reminder. Not even like a week after the story broke nationally and everybody was like, "Wait, a dude gunned down a black teen and was never tried?" an enterprising businessman made targets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/money/george-zimmerman-lawyer-outraged-trayvon-martin-shooting-target-hoodie-prints-article-1.1076865

And an officer was fired like 2 months ago for bringing them to a shooting range that is less than 50 miles from Sanford, FL: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/16/trayvon-target-unacceptable-official-says/2088937/
And apparently it upsets people that people are upset that he wasn't tried, and they ask why black on white crime doesn't get the same coverage.

I get sad when I see that.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

But note that you should REALLY EMPHASIZE that this just isn't verifiable. That is, it could be true for all we know. Many conservatives will think that the fact that it's unverifiable means that the exact opposite is true, which of course justifies his death. It's insane but people don't know how deal with evidence.

At least your family bickers instead of all agreeing that Glenn Beck is a great American :negative:

My mom is a liberal and my dad is a conservative, but NickRoweFillea Family Rule #3 is Don't Talk About Politics or Religion. Earlier this week I got that email forward from him where Game is made out to be Trayvon Martin. I corrected him, and he apologized and said he'd tell everyone he sent it to and the person who sent it to him (my aunt) the truth. I think it was a little embarrassing for him to be proven that wrong, because he's normally right about drat near everything he talks about.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dr Christmas posted:

They loving smile using "If Obama had a son, he would have looked like Trayvon," as a justification for his death. They fantasize about killing a man's children!

I think they're referring to how in a speech right after the story blew up the president said if he had a son he'd look like Trayvon.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Idiot Kicker posted:

I agree 100% with this, which is why I get so frustrated with the Vatican trying to have it both ways. People, including teenagers, are going to have sex. Without birth control/condoms, unwanted pregnancies will happen. If the church is really so opposed to abortion, why can't they accept that human nature isn't going to magically change?

But those pregnancies aren't unwanted, the church wants them. More Catholics=more money power.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

But note that you should REALLY EMPHASIZE that this just isn't verifiable. That is, it could be true for all we know. Many conservatives will think that the fact that it's unverifiable means that the exact opposite is true.

Sadly, even if his school records were released and it was shown that he was a fairly good student but perhaps a few points lower, and did work community service, but not exactly 600 hours, it would be construed as nefarious "liberal lies" and we would be back to square one with them again.

It's like when they found that one of the three Zimmerman's slanders on the phone hadn't occurred and since one mistake was made the entire thing became a conspiracy.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Hey, check out the most ridiculous comment about George Zimmerman I've ever seen.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

1stGear posted:

The Reagan debt was due to poor economic policies from Carter while the Clinton surplus was because of the majesty of trickle-down economics and the Bush deficit was because of Clinton's disastrous economic management and so on and so forth.

Checkmate, libtards.

And Bush Senior is explained how?

I've heard this bullshit argument so many times, and this is always the thing that completely floors them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^
Bush 1 was a liberal and raised taxes or something.

Ferroque posted:

Hey, check out the most ridiculous comment about George Zimmerman I've ever seen.

That second poster is my hero.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

Ferroque posted:

Zimmerman(n) is the german word for carpenter. You know who else was a learned carpenter? :smug:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think the big problem with this is the idea that those first five items on the list should have any bearing on our feelings about the death of a child. It is of course horrible and racist that people are out to slander a dead boy, but the fact of the matter is that this is a tragedy whether he was an honors student or a literal gang leader.

(e: It's also worth remembering that "volunteer" and "devoted member of his church" are not unambiguous positives; for all I know he was a devoted member of Westboro Baptist Church and loved to volunteer to scream at gay people.)

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 12, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mornacale posted:

I think the big problem with this is the idea that those first five items on the list should have any bearing on our feelings about the death of a child. It is of course horrible and racist that people are out to slander a dead boy, but the fact of the matter is that this is a tragedy whether he was an honors student or a literal gang leader.

(e: It's also worth remembering that "volunteer" and "devoted member of his church" are not unambiguous positives; for all I know he was a devoted member of Westboro Baptist Church and loved to volunteer to scream at gay people.)

I will bet real world money there is not a single African-American member of the Westboro Baptist church

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Fulchrum posted:

I will bet real world money there is not a single African-American member of the Westboro Baptist church

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2u4xw2XT_Y&t=57s

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

NickRoweFillea posted:

Google says his GPA isn't publicly available.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm hearing from family members that the tv and radio reported that Martin had gotten into fights which is why combined with his lack of wounds (other than the gunshot) and Zimmerman having a bloody nose it makes sense he attacked first. I know Martin's violent nature not true (or at least not something that can be proven) but I'm wondering which shows are reporting this and what they are saying. I know there's a lot of "well Martin obviously attacked Zimmerman since he's black seems like a thug for reasons I can't quite articulate." but it sounds like someone is trying to point to actual events I haven't heard of.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 12, 2013

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

I'm hearing from family members that the tv and radio reported that Martin had gotten into fights

Its bullshit. It's all hearsay based on things that a teenage boy posts on twitter. IIRC the main video showing "Martin fighting" was some bumfights video somebody else posted on his facebook/twitter/whatever that didn't have anything to do with Martin.

The "actual events I haven't heard of" are just slanderous nonsense, same as last year's attempts to paint Martin as drug-crazed because he smoked pot or a master theif because he had tools and jewelry in his backpack.

The shows that are reporting this are the same shows that cater to race panicked suburbanites who pray for Zimmerman's acquittal because they don't see anything wrong with the valiant public safety officer gunning down a rabid negro.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dr Creflo A Dollar posted:

Its bullshit. It's all hearsay based on things that a teenage boy posts on twitter.

Yeah I've always found the insistance that Martin was some incorrigible thug because he's a teenage boy who likes to act tough and sometimes smoked weed to be hilarious given that those traits defined a really significant portion of my very white suburban high school class.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yeah I've always found the insistance that Martin was some incorrigible thug because he's a teenage boy who likes to act tough and sometimes smoked weed to be hilarious given that those traits defined a really significant portion of my very white suburban high school class.

Same. "A kid who smoked pot, got into petty crime, and liked to brag/posture about how tough he is" is the common teenage shithead across America. These people are just freaked out because Martin was black.

I knew two (black) kids like this who liked to play gangster and break into the high school concession stand for small cash. One's doing 15 years in Mississippi on drug charges and the other is a corporate lawyer with a beautiful family and a side hobby as a successful local Christian amateur wrestler. There's no way anyone can reasonably construe Martin's typically boorish teenage persona as criminal, because teenage boys are dumb, reckless, and love to chest thump to mask their insecurities.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 12, 2013

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

successful local Christian amateur wrestler.

I think I need some more details on this. I'm imagining WWE except with non-ironic 3:16 references and a lot of KJV smack-talk.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Check you die-rect-ally into the Smackdown Hotel... where the Gideons have left a wonderful treasure

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I think I need some more details on this. I'm imagining WWE except with non-ironic 3:16 references and a lot of KJV smack-talk.

Yeah pretty much. He wrestles in a semi-serious amateur wrestling league. They get up to posturing and all that playacting tough guy stuff but they're in pretty good shape and it's clearly an atheletic endeavor. His character is obnoxiously bible themed because he's devout with a good sense of humor about religion/himself. He'd shout stuff like "Matthew 4:23!" or whatever while hitting a dude with a chair, it was awesome. It's probably funnier if you know the bible.

The only reason I brought it up is that he's an example of a confident, self-actualizing, successful person who used to play all wild gangster, way more explicitly than Trayvon Martin ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Yeah pretty much. He wrestles in a semi-serious amateur wrestling league. They get up to posturing and all that playacting tough guy stuff but they're in pretty good shape and it's clearly an atheletic endeavor. His character is obnoxiously bible themed because he's devout with a good sense of humor about religion/himself. He'd shout stuff like "Matthew 4:23!" or whatever while hitting a dude with a chair, it was awesome. It's probably funnier if you know the bible.

The only reason I brought it up is that he's an example of a confident, self-actualizing, successful person who used to play all wild gangster, way more explicitly than Trayvon Martin ever did.

That actually sounds pretty great. And also Matthew 4:23 is a great verse to use when beating the poo poo out of someone.

"And he went throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction among the people."

You're gonna need some miraculous healing when I'm done with you!