Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PhotoKirk posted:

Looks like an AR bolt to me.

Oh, I see it now. Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Exit Strategy posted:

I was looking through my Dropbox earlier today, and I know I've posted it in this thread before, but some people might not have seen it:

If that is an AR bolt I...... how.

Was someone reloading with loving dynamite? :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
One of those defective ones, I assume?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
And what is an AR bolt?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EssOEss posted:

And what is an AR bolt?
The thing that slides the bullet into the chamber on an AR-15 or like rifles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EssOEss posted:

And what is an AR bolt?

Bolt is #2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PhotoKirk posted:

That didn't even occur to me, my brain was stuck on car parts.

How does that happen? Super hot reload?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

That's what you get for buying tacticool.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Godholio posted:

That didn't even occur to me, my brain was stuck on car parts.

How does that happen? Super hot reload?

A few years ago some Gov't supplier of parts did bad heat treatment on like, I want to say 5,000 bolts and carriers. A few soldiers got injured by the exploding bolts so they were recalled. IIRC the manufacturer accidentally sold them on the civilian market afterwards.

Somebody from TFR help me out. I remember reading about it in GiP.

E: it was after I got out of basic, so 2012 or so. Not the recent Sharps Relia recall. Remington? And it was a small subset of the recalled ones that were re-sold, 500 or so. I mean, any slam-fire is bad, but I personally saw the scars on a soldier's arm from an exploding bolt blowing out the ejection port. He was a LH firer.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 17, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
"Accidentally"

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Geirskogul posted:

A few years ago some Gov't supplier of parts did bad heat treatment on like, I want to say 5,000 bolts and carriers. A few soldiers got injured by the exploding bolts so they were recalled. IIRC the manufacturer accidentally sold them on the civilian market afterwards.

Somebody from TFR help me out. I remember reading about it in GiP.

E: it was after I got out of basic, so 2012 or so. Not the recent Sharps Relia recall. Remington? And it was a small subset of the recalled ones that were re-sold, 500 or so. I mean, any slam-fire is bad, but I personally saw the scars on a soldier's arm from an exploding bolt blowing out the ejection port. He was a LH firer.

FN. And yeah, it's one of those, exacerbated by a piston action and a lovely build quality. What happened is that the bolt's lugs tore off after a few rounds fired, and on the last round that gun ever fired the cartridge blew up, sending hot gas and chunks of lug everywhere. I got enough money to build a REALLY nice AR out of the manufacturer,

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Was it you with the safety glasses photo?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Bolt is #2

So which end is the photo of?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Photo is from end nearest part 5.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The lip is the end of 7 near the arrow, and the pin is 5. Not pictured is a large portion of 2

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This is an approximation of the same position of an unturbofucked one:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

quote:

:holymoley:

Seriously, that's some scary poo poo.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:holymoley:

Seriously, that's some scary poo poo.

Yeah. It Made A Noise™.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Exit Strategy posted:

Yeah. It Made A Noise™.

*BA-Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* to anyone without ears as I discovered one day.

"Because the rifles are quiet on an outdoor range do don't need that poo poo"

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

PhotoKirk posted:

This. That went "bang" and whoever was holding the AR went "gently caress" and then went to the hospital.

e: god dammit there was another page

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

*BA-Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* to anyone without ears as I discovered one day.

"Because the rifles are quiet on an outdoor range do don't need that poo poo"

Replace rifle with shotgun and you have my childhood. The ringing in my ears keeps me company at night.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Exit Strategy posted:

I was looking through my Dropbox earlier today, and I know I've posted it in this thread before, but some people might not have seen it:

Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

What happened to the rest of the gun?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

What happened to the rest of the gun?

The out-of-battery detonation cracked the upper, bent the pivot pin, smashed the operating rod for the gas piston, blew the magazine apart, and sent lugs and pieces of brass careening out of the gun into my glasses and right forearm. Also, the toggle pin sheared off a chunk of the track for the "gas key" / oprod anvil. Had my glasses not been rated for shop work, I would've taken a lug and brass shavings to the eye. It was not a well-made firearm, and thereafter I actually talked to the rest of TFR to get ideas for what to do when I built instead of bought my next one.

Worth noting: The company (ATI, do not buy from them) stated in the manual that the rifle was rated for 5.56. The lower was rollmarked for 5.56. I was shooting Lake City surplus 5.56 through it.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Should've bought nVidia.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sudo Echo posted:

Should've bought nVidia.

I laughed.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sudo Echo posted:

Should've bought nVidia.

I'm mad because I was gonna post that, then didn't. But also pleased because now I can laugh at a joke which isn't mine.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Exit Strategy posted:

ATI-bolt.jpg

this is ATI-bolts.jpg

ATI is a Turkish company that cannot make shotguns or 22LR guns and has no business at all making AR15-anything.

http://www.americantactical.us

http://www.americantactical.us/142/catalog.html

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

PhotoKirk posted:

Replace rifle with shotgun and you have my childhood. The ringing in my ears keeps me company at night.

And in this case the gun slam fired when I closed the bolt because Camp guns and Camp ammo

Esrever
Sep 10, 2004

Its such a pretty parasol.
We broke a 24" shaft at work recently. That is the bearing housing with the shaft piece still inside it laying on the catwalk. Details intentionally vague as they don't like this kind of thing to get out too much.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nm posted:

This is why everyone, whethet you think you are good at poo poo or not, should get your carseat install inspected. Basically every local fire department will do it for free. Some shocking number of accidents result in car seats coming loose because of botched installs.
This goes double for seatbelt installs, but even with latch, your kid's life is worth 30 minutes.

http://www.safercar.gov/cpsApp/cps/index.htm - People will even come to you for a nominal fee. We paid $100 to get 2 bases installed and a complete lesson in how to do it, common pitfalls, how to use just the seat w/o the base, how to install baby in said seat, and how to ensure baby has the correct strap adjustment. ($75 trip charge, $25 per extra base.) Well worth the money. Also found out PriusV's are impossible to get correct in the center, so it's not just me being the usual moron I am at things. (I think that sentence counts as content.)

We used this person on referral from safercar.gov:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pro-car-seat-safety-mobile-service-los-angeles

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Esrever posted:

We broke a 24" shaft at work recently. That is the bearing housing with the shaft piece still inside it laying on the catwalk. Details intentionally vague as they don't like this kind of thing to get out too much.

Yeeesh, look at the amount of cross section with old dirty/corroded fracture, versus the fresh fracture face. :stonk:

The idea that that could have let go at any point in the last goodness-knows-how-long is another one of those things that makes you appreciate the fleeting nature of life. So, uh, where is the rest of the shaft?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

nene posted:

Yeeesh, look at the amount of cross section with old dirty/corroded fracture, versus the fresh fracture face. :stonk:

The idea that that could have let go at any point in the last goodness-knows-how-long is another one of those things that makes you appreciate the fleeting nature of life. So, uh, where is the rest of the shaft?

Ehh, I don't think it's dark because it's old. Doesn't make sense with the way the direction of the crack propagation, etc. Obviously not very easy to tell in that picture, but it looks like it initiated in the center of the grey area (where the fatigue growth occurred) and then brittle fracture occurred with moment to the right (in the picture)? Interestingly, it doesn't look like there was a lot of rotational force, which I would have expected.

Really hard to tell, though, tbh. Just guessing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.facebook.com/worldlifestyle/videos/992286604198142/

:stonk:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It's just a huntsman.

Esrever
Sep 10, 2004

Its such a pretty parasol.

totalnewbie posted:

Ehh, I don't think it's dark because it's old. Doesn't make sense with the way the direction of the crack propagation, etc. Obviously not very easy to tell in that picture, but it looks like it initiated in the center of the grey area (where the fatigue growth occurred) and then brittle fracture occurred with moment to the right (in the picture)? Interestingly, it doesn't look like there was a lot of rotational force, which I would have expected.

Really hard to tell, though, tbh. Just guessing.

The dark areas were smooth to the touch and had corrosion on it already. The lighter area was sharp and rust free. It had been propagating for a while. We had been getting vibrations for several weeks before the failure but we were focused more on the fans located near by as it never crossed anyone's mind that this was the source of vibration.

Album:
https://imgur.com/a/gysdv

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That looks like a cement furnace or something similar. Thats a HUGE piece of equipment to make a noise like that...

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Looks like a lime kiln to me.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Memento posted:

It's just a huntsman.

in Australia, you don't take chances with the local wildlife.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

It's just a huntsman.

Yea why would anyone be afraid of those? All fears are based on rational reasoning and understanding.

Not sure how the car isn't in fire yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The spider ducked underneath to set it, but the video cuts out before he really gets it going.