Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can see why Everybody's Golf has a budget price, it seems fairly barebones despite the 'you can drive around the course and fish!' stuff. I wouldn't mind so much but it seems like to try and disguise that there's only like five courses plus a couple of DLC ones they've made it take ages to unlock everything. Every time you go up in rank you get nine holes so you unlock a new course every two ranks, thing is one rank takes about six tournaments and three vs matches and it adds up.

That said obviously I haven't been able to play online so maybe that'll make a difference but it looks like you can't play on courses you haven't unlocked single player....

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

caldrax posted:

On this Uncharted talk. I have the vita game and it seems alright but it hasn't compelled me to keep going back to it obsessively. I also have the Drake collection on PS4, so, if I'm not totally enthralled with the vita one, should I still play it (I know it's a prequel) or skip it and move on to the other games. If I'm not loving the vita one will I still like the other games? (I loved The Last of Us, just for the record). I know this is one of those vague questions no one can really answer for anyone else but I thought someone might have some insight.

the vita game is by far the worst uncharted, but if you already own them then just try them yourself? idk why you need someone to convince you when you already own the games

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Real hurthling! posted:

The best way to know is just play them? You can stop whenever you want

I just have so many games waiting and I'm trying to prioritize, I also don't want to start in the middle of the series if there's story stuff that will be worth having played the earlier ones for.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

The best way to know is just play them? You can stop whenever you want

Play the Uncharteds. They are fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The vita game is not representative of the quality of the rest of the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought the Vita game was okay :v:

Apart from the touch screen stuff....

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is ok but the rest of the series is better than that. tho 1 has probably aged a lot since it's like 11 years old now

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So I've finally found my way into Bloodborne. Enjoying it alot but holy poo poo this game is utterly impenetrable and the first few hours are awful because of it. Correction: not the first hour+ getting to the cleric beast. I mean the time between getting your first point of insight and realising that you need to farm for echoes and look up guides to hidden armour/weapons before having a decent chance of taking it on.

Because speaking as a player new to the series, the amount of guides that give advice about how to defeat the cleric beast without any mention of how levelling up works or the existence of weapon durability or levelling up weapons or that doing these things might be useful rather than trying to kill the thing with starting armour and a broken cane are awful. Combine it with all the "git gud" and "its supposed to be hard" that surrounds the game/series and once you've opened the left gate its very easy to just slog away until you get frustrated.

I understand that limited information is the hallmark of this series, but it feels needlessly harsh on new players.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
On a brighter point: thanks so much to those who recommended Horizon Zero Dawn to me over Andromeda. Such a fantastic game - loved the combat and the story, and it's just beautiful.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sakurazuka posted:

I can see why Everybody's Golf has a budget price, it seems fairly barebones despite the 'you can drive around the course and fish!' stuff. I wouldn't mind so much but it seems like to try and disguise that there's only like five courses plus a couple of DLC ones they've made it take ages to unlock everything. Every time you go up in rank you get nine holes so you unlock a new course every two ranks, thing is one rank takes about six tournaments and three vs matches and it adds up.

That said obviously I haven't been able to play online so maybe that'll make a difference but it looks like you can't play on courses you haven't unlocked single player....

Somewhat unrelated but I can't believe you were right about that huge-rear end patch. I just pre-ordered now and started the pre-load, started off at 8GB and I looked away, looked back and it was 14GB. Goddamn what's in that Day One!?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if the PS4 version of Pillars of Eternity has significantly better load times than it has on our 5 year old laptop i will gladly buy it again

who am i kidding, i'll buy it again anyway

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DLC courses apparently but in not sure why another two courses would require a a patch 3/4 the size of the full install.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ceramics posted:

Yakuza and Everybody's Golf both have preloads and are playable at 12.

Wouldn't be surprised if a couple others were like Pillars of Eternity or RE.

Absolver, too. I took the plunge. (And Everybody's...)

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Stumiester posted:

So I've finally found my way into Bloodborne. Enjoying it alot but holy poo poo this game is utterly impenetrable and the first few hours are awful because of it. Correction: not the first hour+ getting to the cleric beast. I mean the time between getting your first point of insight and realising that you need to farm for echoes and look up guides to hidden armour/weapons before having a decent chance of taking it on.

Because speaking as a player new to the series, the amount of guides that give advice about how to defeat the cleric beast without any mention of how levelling up works or the existence of weapon durability or levelling up weapons or that doing these things might be useful rather than trying to kill the thing with starting armour and a broken cane are awful. Combine it with all the "git gud" and "its supposed to be hard" that surrounds the game/series and once you've opened the left gate its very easy to just slog away until you get frustrated.

I understand that limited information is the hallmark of this series, but it feels needlessly harsh on new players.

The best part is Bloodborne is the most welcoming to new players in the series!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Stumiester posted:

There are two approaches to this game (maybe 3):

Slam your face and dick/pussy into a loving brick wall every 15-20 minutes until you either a) git gud or b) force quit the application and put on netflix

or

Do some research, or play with a guide handy, and just get comfortable with the mechanics until you are at a point where every new enemy isn't one-shotting you or surprising you.

I tried to play Dark Souls the first way and realized that there was a totally incredible game world that felt unavailable to me because I was just constantly getting owned and losing all my souls. For Bloodborne, I started blind, got like 8 hours in and only had managed 5-6 bosses, then started over and beat the game with all 3 endings. The difference between "knowing anything at all" and "No Clue" is a huge margin in this game (and the whole series). Bloodborne became my favorite game ever in the last month, but I absolutely needed my hand held through my first playthrough. Now I'm on my 3rd character playing as a Wizard and I just BLAZED through it because now I know where everything is and what order to do stuff in.

Literally no one on Earth gives a poo poo if you ask for help to play a fun game, and the ONLY reason Dark Souls is as popular as it is is because the fans joined together to share information and guide each other because the games themselves do not. Without the community to help itself get to the fun parts, no one would ever beat these things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I spent 20 hours in Central Yharnam. Game owns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anyone remember that comic with the 3 different ways of playing Dark Souls, and the last one was just running in like an idiot and flipping out of the path of everything. These games are constructed to make you super cautious but it's all a ruse, full-throttle idiocy is the One True Path to success.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont need hidden armor or weapons to kill anything in the game and you dont need to farm for echoes unless you somehow burn through all your vials on a boss or something. put your points mostly into health and endurance at the beginning.

the biggest tip for a newbie to the souls series i can give: dodge through attacks, not away from them. your i-frames will get you through safely and you will be in a better position to follow up with your own attack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

Does anyone remember that comic with the 3 different ways of playing Dark Souls, and the last one was just running in like an idiot and flipping out of the path of everything. These games are constructed to make you super cautious but it's all a ruse, full-throttle idiocy is the One True Path to success.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That'll never not make me laugh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Adventurer 3 had to have gone through a stage as adventurer 1 or 2 though.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Adventurer 3 had to have gone through a stage as adventurer 1 or 2 though.

Unless you start with Bloodborne which makes you adventurer 3 by the end of Central Yharnam.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

With all this DLC for Everybody's Golf apparently coming I hope they bring back the greatest Hot Shots Golf character: Adam Jensen

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

With all this DLC for Everybody's Golf apparently coming I hope they bring back the greatest Hot Shots Golf character: Adam Jensen

I know it's every time but lol wtf America.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stumiester posted:

On a brighter point: thanks so much to those who recommended Horizon Zero Dawn to me over Andromeda. Such a fantastic game - loved the combat and the story, and it's just beautiful.

Awww man I finished it last week and I can't wait to get the DLC. Such a good game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cnidaria posted:

Unless you start with Bloodborne which makes you adventurer 3 by the end of Central Yharnam.

That's me. Bloodborne's fast pace conditioned me to put the pedal to the loving metal and as a result all of the Dark Souls games are unenjoyable slogs through cold molasses and I've only ever finished 1.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm still enjoying Titanfall 2 as my main MP shooter on PS4 but I was wondering how to check the playerbase for other games like Battlefield 4, 1 and so.

I don't really dig the setting and how BF1 looks and while I played BF4 on PC over a thousand hours and I've been inactive on PC since October, I was wondering if PS4 has a good enough playerbase to justify getting it for cheap. I'm open for suggestions about other online shooters (that aren't call of duty).

Edit: RS6 Siege seems that it keeps getting updates and there's an overall positive reception but I was wondering if it has any kind of campaign or something to add to the main mode wich is MP.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 27, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

SCEA really is (was?) trash. Insert Ico_cover.jpg

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Every time, hits me right in the benis.
I dont think adventurer 1 actually exists. Adventurer 2 goes online after putting 300 hours into the series and has convinced themselves they were adventurer 1.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know it's every time but lol wtf America.

The answer is, as always, dumb focus group and posturing bullshit from the marketing team desperately worried it won't sell.

"Okay, so we can't have it be Everybody's Golf because we can't have any of that pinko commie poo poo, make it something more action packed and dramatic. Oh and get rid of the young girls, that might alienate our core demographic, replace them with muscular men and maybe throw a lady in there who cares."

And that's before getting into the scenery changing with the dead trees and rough grass, or the subtitle. You could write a paper on all the changes in that cover and what it says about marketing in the US.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

Every time, hits me right in the benis.
I dont think adventurer 1 actually exists. Adventurer 2 goes online after putting 300 hours into the series and has convinced themselves they were adventurer 1.
I was adventurer 1 back in Demon's Souls. Not that I didn't ever get killed but I was taking everything super carefully and reading every message and everything.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Adventurer one is that Kay plays dark souls series

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Adventurer Two is Giant Bomb playing Dark Souls

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

every first playthrough of a souls game takes me like 80+ hours because i am always super slow and cautious and check every ceiling for something that wants to drop on my head and poo poo

still die all the time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

SCEA really is (was?) trash. Insert Ico_cover.jpg

Video game cover have been a travesty since the PS2 era with no end in sight.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I guess I was cautious for my first soul game. Then I stopped caring about dying and do some soul grinding if I need it.

Let gooooo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bloodborne probably has the most brutal initial learning curve of any of them. The good news is that you can rest assured that once you beat gascoine you can take on pretty much anything in the game. It's kind of a trial by fire and it works but I see how it's where a lot of people just give up.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Bloodborne probably has the most brutal initial learning curve of any of them. The good news is that you can rest assured that once you beat gascoine you can take on pretty much anything in the game. It's kind of a trial by fire and it works but I see how it's where a lot of people just give up.

I completely get this and now I'm on the other side its ok, but I think my main issue was that I kept on thinking it was a test of skill long after it actually became something you can grind to help with. It wasn't so much the difficulty, it was that it didn't tell you the ways to alleviate that difficulty, and even the guides I used did a lovely job on that front too.

Like I said, over the hump now, but if I hadn't been told over and over what a great game it was by people I trust/respect the opinions of I wouldn't have had the endurance to get through it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
defiled watchdog should be the first boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Re: the Witness. I have finished enough areas to open the the locked box on top of the mountain. Do I beat the game if I do, or does it lead into the endgame?

I've heard the game doesn't let you continue of you beat it so I'd just like a 'yes' or 'no'. I've beaten 360 panels so I've still got some ways to go if I want to finish them all. I'll probably skip the "environmental" shapes. I've found around 20 and finding them all sounds tedious.