Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there a cash equivalent offered by the 401(k)? If that's what you think, I'd put money into the 401(k) to take advantage of the tax-advantage space, but not actually invest into a fund or whatever until later.
Whether or not you think it, you should still invest the money using whatever asset allocation you had originally planned to put money into. Your asset allocation is independent of market conditions. It's not independent of your risk profile based on your investment time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You might need to reevaluate your risk tolerance as well and decide to have more cash/bonds. Do that and then stick to it. Anything is better than panicking and selling when it drops 15%.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

Alternatively, if I'm still maxing out tax advantage space, am I better off paying off mortgage @4.6% or throwing money in a brokerage fund? I'm starting to think about doing the former instead.

Either jam it in your tax advantaged space or pay down your mortgage. Don't bother with taxable unless you're definitely going to need the money before retirement. Also try to figure out what's keeping you from refinancing down to 3.5%. We can help.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I may sell within 2 years so that's why I'm not looking to refi

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

I may sell within 2 years so that's why I'm not looking to refi

I know it's a lot of work, but if you have a 350k balance and 26 years left on the mortgage it would take $7k in closing costs to not make it payoff in 2 years. 4.6->3.5% is simply a huge jump.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/mortgages/refinance-calculator/calculate-refinance-savings just in case you haven't run the numbers.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Motronic posted:

Then you are seriously in good shape. I mean....this is said a lot but it's true: you keep investing in a downturn and you are buying everything on sale.

Yes, it's hard to stay the course, and easy to tell someone to. We've all heard the stories of the people who "lost everything" in 2008-09. But overwhelmingly the way that happened was panic selling. Sure, there were people who had to sell to remain solvent, but I'd argue they had the wrong asset allocation. Or just buying huge houses they never should have with to little cash reserves because loan money was drat near free then.

From what you posted it doesn't seem like you're in this kind of position, so have (keep, I hope) a strategy and stay the course.

I'm assuming you are not like 5 years from retirement.

30 years from retirement, assuming that humanity is still a thing by then...

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
What can one do with a passive income in Euros besides exchange it for dollars?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ganglysumbia posted:

What can one do with a passive income in Euros besides exchange it for dollars?

Other than the obvious "live in europe" and/or "buy things in euros"?

I think you need to be a bit more specific about where you are and the kind of "passive income" we're talking about. Please don't say inherited real estate, please don't say inherited real estate.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I think you need to be a bit more specific about where you are and the kind of "passive income" we're talking about. Please don't say inherited real estate, please don't say inherited real estate.

So uh, out of curiosity, if the answer is "inherited real estate" (in twenty years or so, hopefully many more!), why is that a bad thing/how painful will that be?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

So uh, out of curiosity, if the answer is "inherited real estate" (in twenty years or so, hopefully many more!), why is that a bad thing/how painful will that be?

Accidental landlord, very remote landlord, plus all the fun of holding foreign bank accounts. Yay! Your CPA will love it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Accidental landlord, very remote landlord, plus all the fun of holding foreign bank accounts. Yay! Your CPA will love it.

Who?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You'll be fine. Just jam some money into an envelope and mail it to, "Government, Washington DC."

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Motronic posted:

Inherited real estate in Germany.
However, it is already being managed by a firm as the previous owner was mostly absent.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ganglysumbia posted:

Inherited real estate in Germany.
However, it is already being managed by a firm as the previous owner was mostly absent.

How much net income per month are you looking at here as a % of your current? Net is absolute bottom line after taxes (eu+us), maintenance(management company) , long term maintenance fund (roof), advertising, vacancy, exchange rates, local accounting, etc. How much would the lump sum of selling it change your life?

If it's a high % compared to your current income but the lump sum of selling it wouldn't somehow change your life then keep it. Otherwise sell it and pay off your house / buy a house / invest it domestically. If you can't sell it because your family would disown you consider new family. Are your inlaws nice?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Hoodwinker posted:

You'll be fine. Just jam some money into an envelope and mail it to, "Government, Washington DC."

Let me tell you guys how thrilled I will be to figure out (pay for) international property law some day.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The point is that if you have international property you can replace that with US property for approximately the same return with less headaches (assuming this is just an investment).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I knew someone who inherited an apartment in Italy and tried to manage it remotely, I think they kept it a year or two before giving up. Just things like getting a plumber to show up turned out to be incredibly hard

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

When we talked about taking a DOD job in Italy our friends, who have lived in Italy for 15+ years, told us the story about getting cable installed. The cable installer said he would be there Thursday and by Thursday he meant eventually on a Thursday. I think it took 6 weeks.

On the other hand I would kill for a place in Rome.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Stupid HELOC question. We want to redo our kitchen. It'll probably run around $20k. likely more. I was thinking of opening up a HELOC to fund it and then pay it back within 6ish years. Most HELOCs have draw periods of around 10 years. If I complete repayment on the 6 year schedule, should I close the HELOC? We don't have any other plans for the house over the remainder of the draw period, nor do we plan on using it to buy a car (HELOC rates are higher than auto finance rates for basically anything).

Is a HELOC something that a homeowner with equity should just have open once it's paid off, just in case? Or is it kinda like an extra credit card where if you're done with it, you should just be done with it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

Stupid HELOC question. We want to redo our kitchen. It'll probably run around $20k. likely more. I was thinking of opening up a HELOC to fund it and then pay it back within 6ish years. Most HELOCs have draw periods of around 10 years. If I complete repayment on the 6 year schedule, should I close the HELOC? We don't have any other plans for the house over the remainder of the draw period, nor do we plan on using it to buy a car (HELOC rates are higher than auto finance rates for basically anything).

Is a HELOC something that a homeowner with equity should just have open once it's paid off, just in case? Or is it kinda like an extra credit card where if you're done with it, you should just be done with it?

If you have discipline to not draw it leave it open. You can always close it if you need available credit elsewhere. If you or your spouse will be tempted by scented candles then close it asap.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Let me tell you guys how thrilled I will be to figure out (pay for) international property law some day.

Same. My wife's parents have multiple pieces of property in their home country, including some loving timeshare condo/hotel thing. And due to "cultural reasons" they don't talk to my wife or her sister about their estate plan beyond "you'll be taken care of".
I don't want to butt in because it's her family, but I know I'm going to have to the one to navigate this poo poo. I, for one, cannot WAIT to learn the intricacies of international probate. :(

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That actually reminds me of a question I had in the back of my head about HELOCs. When you set up a HELOC with a say 10 year draw period, is the interest rate floating until you actually take out a loan from the HELOC? In other words, is there any benefit to opening up a HELOC now while rates are low even though I have no intention of needing/using it? Seems like not really if the rate floats.

We bought a house this year with 20% down in a high cost area so we have a sizable chunk of equity tied up in it. We're not strapped for cash and have no plans to borrow against that equity, but is it something worth setting up when you don't need it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guinness posted:

That actually reminds me of a question I had in the back of my head about HELOCs. When you set up a HELOC with a say 10 year draw period, is the interest rate floating until you actually take out a loan from the HELOC? In other words, is there any benefit to opening up a HELOC now while rates are low even though I have no intention of needing/using it? Seems like not really if the rate floats.

We bought a house this year with 20% down in a high cost area so we have a sizable chunk of equity tied up in it. We're not strapped for cash and have no plans to borrow against that equity, but is it something worth setting up when you don't need it?

I believe they are all variable.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Guinness posted:

The rate would not be fixed during your initial draw period. If you had drawn/paid on your balance multiple times over the draw period, you would likely be paying different rates each time.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So sounds like there's really no reason to set up a HELOC now if I've got no plans to use it (i.e., a renovation) and have ample savings otherwise. Thanks goons.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jows posted:

I, for one, cannot WAIT to learn the intricacies of international probate. :(

Just imagine international probate combined with tree law

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Depends, are there ambitious family members overseas who would just claim all the assets and dare you to do something? That might save you the trouble of unloading the assets!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guinness posted:

Just noting, you probably already know but just in case: a cash-out refinance is another option, and one that could get you a locked low interest rate. Of course it's not a line of credit, you take the cash and then stick it in the bank till you need it.

There are also "remodeling" or "home improvement" loans with various terms offered, which could work for you. E.g., https://loans.usnews.com/home-improvement-loans (scroll to near the bottom)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 15, 2019

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
There’s also the wait for the remodel until we can pay for it with cash method.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jows posted:

Same. My wife's parents have multiple pieces of property in their home country, including some loving timeshare condo/hotel thing. And due to "cultural reasons" they don't talk to my wife or her sister about their estate plan beyond "you'll be taken care of".
I don't want to butt in because it's her family, but I know I'm going to have to the one to navigate this poo poo. I, for one, cannot WAIT to learn the intricacies of international probate. :(

crazypeltast52 posted:

Depends, are there ambitious family members overseas who would just claim all the assets and dare you to do something? That might save you the trouble of unloading the assets!

It’s just a single condo, likely worth about 150k. Not life changing and it’s going to be a pain to figure out. Apparently there’s a high tax on real estate gains that leave the country, but I’m unclear on the details.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 15, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nelson posted:

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

MomJeans420 posted:

I knew someone who inherited an apartment in Italy and tried to manage it remotely, I think they kept it a year or two before giving up. Just things like getting a plumber to show up turned out to be incredibly hard

Not if you’re Princess Peach.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nelson posted:

You will never star in the BWM thread with that attitude.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 16, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Tax loss harvesting question, mainly to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

1. Verify basis is per tax lot (it is), verify that I am set to not reinvest dividends/cap gains (I'm not.)
2. Sell the red FSPSX, buy FSKAX with it.
3. Don't re-buy the international one until it's been 30 days.
4. Profit?

The one question I have is I see the rule for wash sales is 30 days before or after, does that matter if I'm selling the lots I bought <30 days ago as well?

I don't think I saw an answer to this. Bueller?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Adhemar posted:

Not if you’re Princess Peach.

Yeah but the plumber still comes from like 8 worlds away.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I know it's a lot of work, but if you have a 350k balance and 26 years left on the mortgage it would take $7k in closing costs to not make it payoff in 2 years. 4.6->3.5% is simply a huge jump.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/mortgages/refinance-calculator/calculate-refinance-savings just in case you haven't run the numbers.

Thanks for this. I haven't been paying attention to rates since I bought my house last year. I should be able to drop a full percentage point and get rid of PMI thanks to the fast appreciation in my area.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah but the plumber still comes from like 8 worlds away.

8 bits at a time

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 16, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My company's 401(k) provider is currently Vanguard, about which I consistently read positive things, not to mention they are a client-owned company (or so I have read). For 2020 we are switching to Fidelity. Might I hold my current investments with Vanguard, or should just go ahead and let the Company move everything over?

I have no other investments with Vanguard, as USAA is currently managing my Roth IRA (my only other investment other than some odd stocks and an ESOP from a previous job).

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 16, 2019

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

nelson posted:

Mortgage interest rates are still so low, you'll want to consider financing even if you can afford to pay cash.

There are also straight up home equity loans that have fixed rates and terms. These are much cheaper to close than a cash out refi. The interest is deductible for those who still itemize.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Beach Bum posted:

My company's 401(k) provider is currently Vanguard, about which I consistently read positive things, not to mention they are a client-owned company (or so I have read). For 2020 we are switching to Fidelity. Might I hold my current investments with Vanguard, or should just go ahead and let the Company move everything over?

I have no other investments with Vanguard, as USAA is currently managing my Roth IRA (my only other investment other than some odd stocks and an ESOP from a previous job).

If they move, you're moving. You can't elect to stay.

However, you might have vanguard funds available through fidelity so you could remain in the same investments. Fidelity offers funds that are competitive with vanguard or cheaper, so you might even come out slightly ahead.

If you can, request a list from your administrator, you can see what's going to be on offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

This isn't something you have a choice in, but if it's Amazon you are likely going to get a better deal at Fidelity by a few hundredths of a percent. Also someone at Fidelity just got a shockingly high bonus.