Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Today I discovered that Windows 10 has a monitor calibration tool so I decided to try it out. I'm actually pretty pleased with the results but it has caused my brain to wonder what the display could look like if I got one of those fancy calibration tools. Is there a thread recommended device? I really know absolutely nothing about these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

tzirean posted:

Limiting framerate to 120 in RivaTuner does appear to make it better. Netflix is about at the level VLC was, VLC has no choppiness but still has the freezing/corruption.

So it's not a weird sync/VRR issue. I'd say the next step is to test both Netflix and VLC CPU usage independently of gaming, if you're not getting hardware acceleration and you don't have a ton of cores that's the most likely cause.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

K8.0 posted:

So it's not a weird sync/VRR issue. I'd say the next step is to test both Netflix and VLC CPU usage independently of gaming, if you're not getting hardware acceleration and you don't have a ton of cores that's the most likely cause.

Both are fine when I'm not gaming, but I'm running on a 9700K so the cores shouldn't be a problem...

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I just put my secondary on the iGPU.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

mobby_6kl posted:

How's it just working with a monitor of that size on your desk? Do you keep it at normal monitor distance? I'm considering getting a 43" Phillips for the 4k+HDR+Freesync but the size is freaking me out a bit as the largest I've used long term is 24".
I just measured and I have the screen about 32" average length from my eyeballs. My desk isn't large enough to hold the monitor so I have a small file cabinet behind the desk, and have an old riser monitor stand in between the desk and the file cabinet. The monitor stand sits on top of the riser. Definitely not a conventional setup.

I hope to get a 65" at some point, maybe whenever the new big-screen monitors get to 2nd gen. I have no idea how I will position the 65". Guess I can remove the small filing cabinet and set the monitor a little further away behind the desk and on a lower table.

If you like gaming close on a big-screen TV then you'll probably adjust OK to the larger-sized monitor for gaming.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

tzirean posted:

Both are fine when I'm not gaming, but I'm running on a 9700K so the cores shouldn't be a problem...

This is specific to VLC, but try different output methods, it comes with a load and some are better than others, depending on what else you're doing. I want to say I'm using one of the directx options currently, but in the past I've had better luck with opengl. Very occasionally certain output modes flat out don't work with certain games running.

I don't have Netflix myself so can't suggest anything there, other than that Firefox has been by far the most compatible playing video on a second screen for me. Is there anything that lets you pipe Netflix to a real video player like streamlink for twitch?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Strong Sauce posted:

NewEgg has the Alienware 34" curved monitor on sale for $799

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-S0&ignorebbr=1

I think you need to be on their newsletter or whatnot. etc. but the code is EMCTUUU22

this monitor is on sale again for $799 on dell.com. Includes $75 Dell Promo eGift Card
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/1zgc

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TheFluff posted:

I just put my secondary on the iGPU.

This worked far better than I expected, thank you. It's not ideal, but it'll serve while I try to figure out what could be causing the issue.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

this monitor is on sale again for $799 on dell.com. Includes $75 Dell Promo eGift Card
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/1zgc

Just barely keeps up with the pricing for other retailers here (~1k pounds vs the usual price of 1.2k).

Now how that monitor is over 400 (or 600) pounds more here is beyond me.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
4K, 144hz, 27”, good HDR - when?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Lackmaster posted:

Doesn't this already exist? - https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-X27-bmiphzx-Monitor/dp/B07CWDBL39/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=acer+predator+x27&qid=1549996431&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lackmaster posted:

More like when will those displays cost under a grand?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Did they really only make a 27" version of that display? Going for retina, I guess.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It also has active cooling because the Gsync module can overheat, lol

advion
Jul 25, 2005

CRAYON posted:

Today I discovered that Windows 10 has a monitor calibration tool so I decided to try it out. I'm actually pretty pleased with the results but it has caused my brain to wonder what the display could look like if I got one of those fancy calibration tools. Is there a thread recommended device? I really know absolutely nothing about these things.

When I was working on photos every day I just rented one every once in a while to double check accuracy or when I got a new monitor.

I only have experience with LensRentals but here are some options.

https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/ColorMunki_calibrator
https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/other-photo/accessories/calibration

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone have experience putting an extra monitor above your primary one? Are the ergonomics awful? I jumped on the Alienware 34" ultra wide deal which is otw now. I'll have to decide what to do with my existing 27" and 24" monitors. My desk doesn't have room for all 3 and it'd feel kinda crazy to put them all in a row anyway. I was thinking about putting the 27" above the 34" for random videos/whatever.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Lackmaster posted:

I would already be happy with 1440p, 144hz, 27" and IPS (and affordable as well) :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's just an Acer xb271hu.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a monitor that’s wide (maybe 32inches), 1440p minimum, and curved? It’s not for gaming so refresh rate doesn’t really matter.

I thought I had seen some reasonably priced ones but can’t find them now.

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

So, what is everyone's thoughts on this?

It's a 34 inch ultrawide IPS 1080p 144hz monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/d/Monitors/LG-34UC79G-B-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/B01LW5CGIS

Right now I'm using a 60hz 27 inch 1080p IPS viewsonic that I've had for 5 years+ I think. The 27 1080 has the same ppi as the 34 inch ultrawide, I know that's a thing for some people, but I've never had a problem with my current monitor so who knows. I'm down a secondary monitor and was thinking of jumping on the higher refresh bandwagon and started looking into the ultrawides as they seemed like they'd provide an interesting aspect for gaming and also just having a very large desktop area. Admittedly, I did waffle when I saw the Alienware one posted earlier, but I think I'd rather push higher frames at 1080 than make the jump to 1440, especially if I can save 300 bucks in the process. But, here I am. So figured I'd ask if any of you have any opinions or if any of you have owned the monitor in question and have any thoughts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

34" 1080p seems horrible for pixel density and also I don't think anyone should be buying a 1080p monitor in 2019 unless its for a parent to check their email with.

e: Especially if you play games it's time to go to a 1440p, ultrawide or no. I don't think 'I've never had a problem with ____" is a particularly valid reason not to upgrade the single most important specification of a monitor. A 1440p ultrawide at 60 or 75hz is going to be a much better and more enjoyable purchase and be nearly the same cost.

e2: I didn't mean to sound like such a bastard or snarky I just really want you to have a great monitor experience!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 13, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I agree that 34" 21:9 1080p seems way too low resolution, but if you're happy with 27" 16:9 1080p right now it's the same thing but wider.

IMO 1080p is for laptops and the cheapest "I just need a monitor" desktop uses at 24" and lower.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Especially considering that most people replace a monitor every 6-10 years..

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

34" 1080p seems horrible for pixel density and also I don't think anyone should be buying a 1080p monitor in 2019 unless its for a parent to check their email with.

e: Especially if you play games it's time to go to a 1440p, ultrawide or no. I don't think 'I've never had a problem with ____" is a particularly valid reason not to upgrade the single most important specification of a monitor. A 1440p ultrawide at 60 or 75hz is going to be a much better and more enjoyable purchase and be nearly the same cost.

e2: I didn't mean to sound like such a bastard or snarky I just really want you to have a great monitor experience!

That's alright, I knew what you were going for. Although I was bracing myself when there was three quick replies lol Yeah, I'm just a notorious cheapskate with things. 500 to me is kinda borderline-ish, 800 is a real thinker. So, would that Alienware be about comparative just at a higher resolution? I'm assuming the 800 dollar price point is a very good deal for it. How is Dell's build quality / customer service now a days? And, would a 1080ti be enough to push an ultrawide 1440? Or is there a better monitor around that price point? I know it's a bunch of questions, but large purchases and all that, appreciate the info as the last time I've looked into monitors was when I picked up my current one.

wolrah posted:

I agree that 34" 21:9 1080p seems way too low resolution, but if you're happy with 27" 16:9 1080p right now it's the same thing but wider.

IMO 1080p is for laptops and the cheapest "I just need a monitor" desktop uses at 24" and lower.

It might be I'm just find with it as that's all I've ever known.

alex314 posted:

Especially considering that most people replace a monitor every 6-10 years..

Now that I think about it I have had this Viewsonic for... oh going on at least 6, 7 years I think? They really are things that last if you get the right ones.

Thanks for the information everyone. Though my wallet might not be thanking anyone later.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Archibald Tuttle posted:

That's alright, I knew what you were going for. Although I was bracing myself when there was three quick replies lol Yeah, I'm just a notorious cheapskate with things. 500 to me is kinda borderline-ish, 800 is a real thinker. So, would that Alienware be about comparative just at a higher resolution? I'm assuming the 800 dollar price point is a very good deal for it. How is Dell's build quality / customer service now a days? And, would a 1080ti be enough to push an ultrawide 1440? Or is there a better monitor around that price point? I know it's a bunch of questions, but large purchases and all that, appreciate the info as the last time I've looked into monitors was when I picked up my current one.

I had a 980ti (and 4790k) and a 1440p 27" monitor and for more than half the games I was playing it had no problem pushing 144fps to the monitor. A 1080ti is an excellent fit for an ultrawide 1440p monitor, absolutely can push it to at least 100fps if you were to go for a high refresh rate version and I think most people would say that a 1080ti is overkill for any 1080p monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dell's build quality/tech support for higher end monitors is top of the industry. The AW3418DW was repeatedly on sale for $720 during the holidays, but it probably won't be again any time soon.

You can get some decent freesync IPS 27"/1440p/144hz monitors at quite good prices lately, if you're not sure you want to spend big for ultrawide.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello, looking for 4K on a budget. 60 hz is enough for me, good image quality is important and freesynch would be a nice plus. Any opinions whether I should get a LG 27ud58-b or LG 27UD58p-B? They seem technically identical as far as I can tell (probably same panel too). Looking for a cheap screen that gives me a bit more than 1080p. Got a 1060 to drive it, but I don't need high details in games I suppose. Perhaps adaptive sync over DP will work too. I can get the LG 27ud58-b (I like the stand better) for around 280 Euro. An alternative would be the BenQ EL2870U which looks decent too. What's the best deal here, or are they all decent? Thank you!

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/d92f14ca3

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Archibald Tuttle posted:

It's a wonderful monitor and Dell has a long time reputation for making good displays.

I'm running mine off of a pair of 970s, and while I obviously can't crank the graphics settings in anything other than the few games that work well with SLI it's still really easy to get playable framerates without having to turn things down too far. G-Sync helps there too, dips under 60 don't hurt nearly as much.

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I had a 980ti (and 4790k) and a 1440p 27" monitor and for more than half the games I was playing it had no problem pushing 144fps to the monitor. A 1080ti is an excellent fit for an ultrawide 1440p monitor, absolutely can push it to at least 100fps if you were to go for a high refresh rate version and I think most people would say that a 1080ti is overkill for any 1080p monitor.

That's good to know. Yeah, picked up the 1080ti sometime late last year, which ironically was to kinda future proof for 1440 gaming, lol. 1080p is great and I've got the thing hooked up to my 55inch 4k TV that I play some stuff on. A Hat in Time looks gorgeous on the thing in 4k. But, that's really more for some games where I just want to kick back with a controller.

K8.0 posted:

Dell's build quality/tech support for higher end monitors is top of the industry. The AW3418DW was repeatedly on sale for $720 during the holidays, but it probably won't be again any time soon.

You can get some decent freesync IPS 27"/1440p/144hz monitors at quite good prices lately, if you're not sure you want to spend big for ultrawide.

Eh, I have a 27 right now, so it's one of those things where I kind of want to change the look of things if I do get a new monitor if that makes sense? I was looking at the 30+ inchers at the 1440 size with the normal aspect ratios. I browse the internet a lot while watching streams, etc. So the ultrawide would facilitate that without needing multiple monitors, along with providing that extra real estate in games.

wolrah posted:

It's a wonderful monitor and Dell has a long time reputation for making good displays.

I'm running mine off of a pair of 970s, and while I obviously can't crank the graphics settings in anything other than the few games that work well with SLI it's still really easy to get playable framerates without having to turn things down too far. G-Sync helps there too, dips under 60 don't hurt nearly as much.

Good to hear that build/support for the thing is there and that that my card should be able to support it no problem. Was talking to another guy about it and he had some reservations about Dell, not entirely sure why, but it gave me a little pause. Yeah, I'm starting to come around to picking it up for future proofing as well. I figure if I can't always push the full widescreen at 21:9, it'd still be a serviceable 16:9 1440 monitor.

Not gonna lie. The more I think about this the more I'm inclined to push the button. Also, that 75 promo card could be used to pick up some PS4 games from their store as well. Thanks again for the help/impressions, it's much appreciated.

Archibald Tuttle fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these new panel 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync displays. I haven't really decided, but I'm leaning toward:

Nixeus EDG27S V2: $400, 300 lumens, 4ms response time, IPS panel,
Acer VG271UP: $400, 350 lumens, 1ms response time, IPS panel, 10 bit
AOC Agon AG273QCX: $500, 400 lumens, 1ms response time, VA panel, Freesync2

Whatever I get will serve me well for gaming for the foreseeable future.

I primarily game with my PC using a 1080p TV, but I'm actually upgrading a 21" Dell 2005FPW that has served me well for over 10 years now.

Eventually, I'll probably pick up but a 4K HDR1000 display when they aren't over a grand.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 13, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gay Retard posted:

Nixeus EDG27S V2: $400, 300 lumens, 4ms response time, IPS panel,
Acer VG271UP: $400, 350 lumens, 1ms response time, IPS panel, 10 bit
AOC Agon AG273QCX: $500, 400 lumens, 1ms response time, VA panel, Freesync2

Nixeus EDG27S V2:

- Maybe wait a bit on this, they're refreshing this monitor in like the next couple of months or so, but I think it's just smaller bezels
- You can likely get the original at a deeper discount
- Good choice as it's the only monitor out there with variable overdrive

Acer VG271UP:

- New Innolux panel, heard good and bad things, but consensus is that it's at least as good as the old AUO panels (unfortunately same issues as well, though)
- 10-bit is nice, but note that that's only up to 120Hz based on online reports
- Heard some issues about their overdrive implementation which results in overshooting or ghosting (this is why variable overdrive on the Nixeus is good) If you're not that sensitive to that type of stuff, I wouldn't worry

AOC:
- not really going to go for the VA panel especially since its more expensive

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello, looking for 4K on a budget. 60 hz is enough for me, good image quality is important and freesynch would be a nice plus. Any opinions whether I should get a LG 27ud58-b or LG 27UD58p-B? They seem technically identical as far as I can tell (probably same panel too). Looking for a cheap screen that gives me a bit more than 1080p. Got a 1060 to drive it, but I don't need high details in games I suppose. Perhaps adaptive sync over DP will work too. I can get the LG 27ud58-b (I like the stand better) for around 280 Euro. An alternative would be the BenQ EL2870U which looks decent too. What's the best deal here, or are they all decent? Thank you!

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/d92f14ca3

IIRC those two models are identical except for the stand. I have a 27UD68P-B and it's pretty good. Freesync works (and it should work on the 27UD58 too), but only between like 45 and 60fps, so you don't get a huge benefit out of it. Can't really recommend gaming at 4k with a 1060 though - you'll probably have to run at 1440p medium settings to get 60fps.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The EDG27S V2 is the new one, still preorder. Look at the picture, it's got smaller bezels. That's probably the monitor we're going to be recommending everyone to buy for a while unless there's something wrong with it.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Chikimiki posted:

I would already be happy with 1440p, 144hz, 27" and IPS (and affordable as well) :v:

Especially with freesync working with Nvidia cards isn’t this basically one of the nice freesync monitors for like ~$400?

To the other guy, yeah being under a grand is what I forgot to add. Also people smarter than me said something about the HDR sucks? Something something chroma sub sampling and about HDMI and DP bandwidth issues?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Lackmaster posted:

Especially with freesync working with Nvidia cards isn’t this basically one of the nice freesync monitors for like ~$400?

To the other guy, yeah being under a grand is what I forgot to add. Also people smarter than me said something about the HDR sucks? Something something chroma sub sampling and about HDMI and DP bandwidth issues?

You can get full HDR on the 4k 144hz G-Sync monitor, but you cap at 96hz due to bandwidth. If you want 4k 144hz and HDR, you have to do chroma subsampling, which lowers IQ, thought apparently it's more noticeable on the desktop with things like text than it is in games.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
HDR has tons of issues on PC ranging from bandwidth issues to annoying implementation issues in monitors (e.g. lovely local dimming or no local dimming at all) but the most important one is that you probably don't actually want it in the first place. The main point of HDR is imitating actual real life differences between, say, full daylight outdoors and a dimly lit room at night, but when you're playing a shooter you sure as hell don't want to be literally blinded by the sun so you can't see poo poo when trying to look into a building through a window. Also, the very high brightness levels become tiring for the eyes very quickly (even a mere 300 nit monitor is too bright for any prolonged use in a normal room) so if you're playing something that takes place outdoors in summer you kinda want to start wearing sunglasses. Which is silly, of course, but that's how HDR is supposed to work.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 14, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It might help with vitamin D deficiency, at least :v:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yup. HDR makes sense on TVs, where most of what you do is non-interactive, and you're sitting much farther back and need exponentially more brightness, but for monitors it's loving dumb. Even 10 bit is fairly pointless for output (higher internal precision for operations makes sense, but dithered 8 bit output is basically as much as you can perceive anyway, especially as monitor PPI has gone up). For gaming, the last thing you want is everything to be black as poo poo with no contrast.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Beautiful Ninja posted:

You can get full HDR on the 4k 144hz G-Sync monitor, but you cap at 96hz due to bandwidth. If you want 4k 144hz and HDR, you have to do chroma subsampling, which lowers IQ, thought apparently it's more noticeable on the desktop with things like text than it is in games.

Could it go to 144hz with HDR turned off? Is the DP1.4 standard capable of going higher?

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

TheFluff posted:

IIRC those two models are identical except for the stand. I have a 27UD68P-B and it's pretty good. Freesync works (and it should work on the 27UD58 too), but only between like 45 and 60fps, so you don't get a huge benefit out of it. Can't really recommend gaming at 4k with a 1060 though - you'll probably have to run at 1440p medium settings to get 60fps.
Then this is what I'll be getting. Thank you, The fluff!