Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bongo Bill posted:

I kind of get the feeling the relationship is doomed to failure, not because of unheeded warnings or demented clowns, but because, like the ones that have played out entirely off-screen, it's teenage infatuation. For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I'm not feeling the chemistry here. Maybe it's just me.

Are you suggesting that this relationship might be toxic to begin with? And doomed to fail regardless? Perhaps the fact that Rose has no idea how to correctly use a pail might serve as the straw to break the camel's back, so to speak, and will come as no surprise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ariong posted:

I think maybe you should re-consider what is and sin't worth posting. For instance: your ships? Not worth posting. Your opinion on the pairings in the comic? Not worth posting.

What about empty criticisms of harmless posts? Are they worth posting? I don't think the old iron-e-meter could take it if they weren't :ohdear:

Bongo Bill posted:

I kind of get the feeling the relationship is doomed to failure, not because of unheeded warnings or demented clowns, but because, like the ones that have played out entirely off-screen, it's teenage infatuation. For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I'm not feeling the chemistry here. Maybe it's just me.

That's a pretty John thing to say. And right after we had the Thief of Light lecture us at length on how relationships probably aren't meant to last forever, too! Whether it ends or not, that it has (barring sudden cold feet) begun to me seems like the point; I'm not enough of an expert on Rose, Kanaya, and literary analysis to say exactly why, but even as a temporary thing I can see both of them getting a lot out of it.

Mostly both of them lightening the gently caress up re: interpersonal relationships.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Perhaps the fact that Rose has no idea how to correctly use a pail might serve as the straw to break the camel's back, so to speak, and will come as no surprise...

The only purpose of a pail is to induce intense embarrassment in the recipient of its contents. This purpose transcends culture and reality, and I'm sure you'll agree, if we've been reading the same story, that Rose knows this purpose very well.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 26, 2012

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Technique posted:

On the subject of angels, this thing is basically a pretty interesting theory, if you ask me.

I feel like this didn't get enough love

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Are you suggesting that this relationship might be toxic to begin with? And doomed to fail regardless? Perhaps the fact that Rose has no idea how to correctly use a pail might serve as the straw to break the camel's back, so to speak, and will come as no surprise...

I know this is a CAD reference, but the funniest way this mood could be killed is if it turns out there's certain physical incompatibilities between trolls and humans that sinks their interest in each other. Mostly because of how Dave would stick his fingers in his ears and start screaming as soon as Rose tried to explain the situation to him.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

Bongo Bill posted:

I agree. I always felt these two were too much alike to be all that interesting. The only way it could be interesting is if Rose stayed hammered. Though Hussie has proven me wrong time and again.

Dolash posted:

I know this is a CAD reference, but the funniest way this mood could be killed is if it turns out there's certain physical incompatibilities between trolls and humans that sinks their interest in each other. Mostly because of how Dave would stick his fingers in his ears and start screaming as soon as Rose tried to explain the situation to him.

Of course knowing Hussie it could also go like this:

Rose: Borf!
Kanaya: Rose I'm really not ready for this kind of commitment, and we don't have a bucket handy.

And that's how Hussie answers any questions people had about troll reproduction.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bongo Bill posted:

But if that's the case and this is not in fact the consummation of the One True Pairing, it raises the question of why Hussie's giving this one so much more attention than, say, Jade and Davesprite. Either he's just gratifying the audience by dwelling on what I presume to be the most popular ship (I don't loving know), or this will have more serious consequences later on, likely when Rose meets up with a certain other character who also flirts and drinks.

I kind of feel like it relates to what relationships mean to the characters, in a way I guess? Like Dave(sprite) has a sort of 'to hell with it' attitude, so entering (or leaving) a relationship isn't a Federal loving Issue. What's important is how it affects his relations with Terezi, or Jade (or Karkat and John by proxy). With John and Vriska, I think something could have been made out of them getting together, but that was mostly covered with the 'date' with beta John? And maybe I'm wrong but I doubt most reasonable people would really care about the ins and outs of their relationship afterwards- what's important is how Vriska developed from it, and how it affected real John, who 'missed out'.

With Kanaya and Rose though, I'd say there is some significance in the act of getting together in itself? Like Rose has had some trouble connecting with other people, and much of Kanaya's romantic problems have been in that she shows interest in people who aren't interested back, so now Rose making the first move sort of solves both?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dolash posted:

Reminder: Dave and Terezi are dating. I think if there were any incompatibilities so world-crushing that they would sink the ship in and of themselves, he'd know all about it. ...the implication being I suppose that he's into that. Yeesh.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Technique posted:

On the subject of angels, this thing is basically a pretty interesting theory, if you ask me.

The connection with the Denizens is an extremely interesting point, though; the denizen associated with the Hope aspect is Abraxas (or Abrasax), the Gnostic Archon who presides over the 365 heavens, each created in sequence by the last, and - ominously - all the angels thereof. Homestuck borrows liberally from western religious traditions of all kinds, and Gnosticism is especially prominent here in these later parts.

If Gamzee kept Eridan's corpse on ice, then it means he can be resurrected as a sprite. If he does so as soon as this intermission ends, it means this will happen on Jake's planet, where dwells Abraxas, the ruler of all angels. Eridan's use of the term "lord of all angels" suggests the prophecy refers to Lord English and not to Abraxas, though.

We have no idea what the Denizens' deal is yet, nor the nature of the shenanigans that went down when various characters interacted with them, but this establishes another connection between them and Lord English. Let's take inventory:

• Echidna sets players on the path to scratch their sessions, and the Scratch apparently allows Lord English entry in some way
  • Hephaestus would likely have dwelt on Caliborn's planet, whereas Echidna would have dwelt on Calliope's
  • Abraxas is associated with angels, and Lord English is a Cherub

The Denizens are a fascinating mystery.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

We have no idea what the Denizens' deal is yet, nor the nature of the shenanigans that went down when various characters interacted with them, but this establishes another connection between them and Lord English. Let's take inventory:

• Echidna sets players on the path to scratch their sessions, and the Scratch apparently allows Lord English entry in some way

Lord English shows up when the universe ends. I'm not convinced scratching the session has anything to do with this---remember that the universe outlasts the session by at least 413 years, as witness the exiles chilling on earth much, much later.

Also, Lord English's symbol is a ~ and a U superimposed, which calls to mind the tildeATH code ~U()... the deconstructor called when the universe is done with and it's time to destroy it and all of it's contents. Which would mean Lord Engish (or a Lord English?) is called whenever any universe ends, not just one with a scratched session.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm really looking forward to learning more about the Denizens myself. I suspect the Choice that Davesprite referred to is something that has an indirect impact on what kind of universe the genesis frog ends up creating. Maybe the Cherubs and their universe was the product of an especially brutal session, where everyone made the choice to slaughter their way through the game as quickly as possible instead of choosing the (arguably) more difficult path?

After all, not everyone even in the troll session opted for violence. We still don't know how exactly everyone handled their Denizens. We know Tavros completed his quest by talking to it and making peace somehow and Vriska murdered hers without stopping to listen to it. I think it was implied somewhere that Kanaya didn't just outright kill hers either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Reene posted:

I suspect the Choice that Davesprite referred to is something that has an indirect impact on what kind of universe the genesis frog ends up creating.

I believe it was strongly implied that The Choice Davesprite was offered was either to fix Caledfwlch (so that Dave could break it again, which is apparently important) or himself (remember he had a huge bleeding gut wound, although that appears to have healed).

But yeah, as one of the earliest ideas evident in Homestuck it's clear they're going to be huge when we finally learn about them near the end.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The funniest part of that, of course, was that Jack and Annie proceeded to not actually be a thing.

I don't understand how anyone can dislike Jack anyway :(

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Bongo Bill posted:

I believe it was strongly implied that The Choice Davesprite was offered was either to fix Caledfwlch (so that Dave could break it again, which is apparently important) or himself (remember he had a huge bleeding gut wound, although that appears to have healed).

But yeah, as one of the earliest ideas evident in Homestuck it's clear they're going to be huge when we finally learn about them near the end.

The direct effect was fixing something, but I just suspect it has further-reaching implications.

Having more insight into the other things the Denizens can do will definitely help.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bongo Bill posted:

"Fix himself" in this case could have something to do with the doomed beta timeline thing. It's not entirely clear if becoming a sprite has spared him his inevitable doom yet or not- being a game construct might be a loophole in that mess, or alternately, it might just keep him safe until his job as a game construct is 'done'.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

loquacius posted:

Reminder: Dave and Terezi are dating. I think if there were any incompatibilities so world-crushing that they would sink the ship in and of themselves, he'd know all about it. ...the implication being I suppose that he's into that. Yeesh.

That doesn't necessarily mean they've attempted to do the nasty yet, though. Remember, they're all still young kids, and are probably understandably nervous about the topic.

I've honestly been waiting for a "Trolls/Humans are sexually incompatible" boot to drop ever since Terezi and Vriska started flirting with Dave and John. I would kinda prefer it not to be that way, since Rose and Kanaya are far too cute a couple, but this being Hussie, it's more than possible.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ominous Jazz posted:

I feel like this didn't get enough love

I went through this guy's stuff after the initial link. Mostly pretty interesting, though as usual there are some real stretches (ala apoordogsbody) - for example, trying to analyze Mituna through the lens of the Gamebro song is either brilliant or insane. Probably both.

This post about Karkat and (more centrally) Gamzee is probably the capstone of his stuff, though. If you want to read some interesting spec about what Gamzee's motivations & purpose in the story actually is, might be worth reading. (Though it's a little long.)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

This post about Karkat and (more centrally) Gamzee is probably the capstone of his stuff, though. If you want to read some interesting spec about what Gamzee's motivations & purpose in the story actually is, might be worth reading. (Though it's a little long.)

Yeah, that's a really good post too. Most of the posts on that Tumblr are worth reading.

Also, am i the only one who tries not to put very much thought into troll genitalia and the specifics of troll/human intercourse? I mean, this thread is rapidly headed into Weird, it seems.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I've honestly been waiting for a "Trolls/Humans are sexually incompatible" boot to drop ever since Terezi and Vriska started flirting with Dave and John. I would kinda prefer it not to be that way, since Rose and Kanaya are far too cute a couple, but this being Hussie, it's more than possible.

I'm not sure I see how it would matter much anyway. Sexual incompatibility with regard to procreation is a moot point for a lesbian couple; and if it's just a question of finding the intimate details of the other's anatomy kinda gross, it's something they can get over.

Since it doesn't matter, it's not worth speculating about.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I hope it doesn't get mentioned at all because I do NOT want to see any MORE fan art regarding troll genitals when I skim tumblr's homestuck tag.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Technique posted:

Also, am i the only one who tries not to put very much thought into troll genitalia and the specifics of troll/human intercourse? I mean, this thread is rapidly headed into Weird, it seems.

Nope welcome to the "I've Never Wanted to Think A Lot About The Genitals of Fifteen-Year-Old Aliens Club!"

Not as popular as I hoped it would be.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Technique posted:

Yeah. Hussie covered that subject in all-caps, "WITHOUT GOING INTO VERY MUCH DEAL" and that's pretty much all there is to say on the matter.

Rose and Kanaya's attraction was always rather intellectual anyway; even if they're "incompatible" I don't think that would break them up.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 27, 2012

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Carrasco posted:

(I guess Kanaya could secrete anesthetics when aroused?)

I am trying very hard to figure out what train of thought led you to writing those words.

Are you... do you think she is Mr. Jinx? Except sexy, I guess, perhaps in honor of Halloween?

This is a terrible conversation that we're in the middle of (w.r.t. the mechanics of 15-year-old sexual intercourse), but trying to export it to other webcomics won't help!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Can we not have this conversation, please?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Hey I have an idea! Let's talk about something else. I don't know what. Let's talk about shipping again! That was a relatively decent topic.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Carrasco posted:

(I guess Kanaya could :wtc:)

At this point I've gone from "Oh god I hope Gamzee doesn't jump out and attack them and ruin everything" to "I hope Gamzee jumps out and attacks them before this discussion gets the thread locked"

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Hey let's stop talking about this. How about a new topic huh?

So how are the Alpha kids going to talk to each other without a God Tier and Gift of Gab? Maybe a God Tier will crash the party at the end of the intermission or the beginning of Act 6 Act 4. Gamzee? Dave?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I always thought there was more to Eridan's Angels vaguely resembling Davesprite in shape, but the Denizen's minion detail is definitely something to think about as well.

I actually have to sort of give Huss a hand for being so discreet about the Denizens in general. We've learned so much about the game already, and had I been the author I probably wouldn't have been able to resist the urge to address them much earlier in the story, thus not letting people continue to wonder about them all this time.

Technique posted:

This post being next to your avatar is an unintentionally hilarious combination, not gonna lie.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

So how are the Alpha kids going to talk to each other without a God Tier and Gift of Gab? Maybe a God Tier will crash the party at the end of the intermission or the beginning of Act 6 Act 4.
Oh hey look a different topic neat great let's go with this.

I've been wondering that for a while. Perhaps when they all entered, they got shunted off to their respective planets and have to talk via pesterchatting again anyway?

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Ariong posted:

Hey I have an idea! Let's talk about something else. I don't know what. Let's talk about shipping again! That was a relatively decent topic.

Fair enough.
Hey remember that time Rose got hammered and snogged Kanaya? That sure was a thing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So how are the Alpha kids going to talk to each other without a God Tier and Gift of Gab? Maybe a God Tier will crash the party at the end of the intermission or the beginning of Act 6 Act 4. Gamzee? Dave?
It was probably mostly a joke about how few of them have had actual in person not-a-dream conversations.

Crazy theory: All four Quest Beds are on Jake's planet, because they all entered there. 4x Godtier Combo!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Color Printer posted:

It was probably mostly a joke about how few of them have had actual in person not-a-dream conversations.

Crazy theory: All four Quest Beds are on Jake's planet, because they all entered there. 4x Godtier Combo!

Jane, Dirk and Roxy all died and got woken up as their dreamselves, they'd have to die on the quest slabs inside their moons to go godtier.

Jake's dreamself got killed before it woke up, so... can he even go godtier now?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Fair enough.
Hey remember that time Rose got hammered and snogged Kanaya? That sure was a thing.

Yeah! Booo, all my ships have sunk.

Suaimhneas posted:

Jane, Dirk and Roxy all died and got woken up as their dreamselves, they'd have to die on the quest slabs inside their moons to go godtier.

Jake's dreamself got killed before it woke up, so... can he even go godtier now?

The quest slab also requires you to be bathed in the fires of the green sun.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

Unless Jane does a Lifey thing to resurrect his dreamself, I dunno. Maybe if he used his bed in Prospit's moon it might work?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Ariong posted:

This isn't an explicit requirement, just one that Hussie hinted might be the case.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yeah that seems unlikely to be something built into the rules of the game. I can't imagine many games go off the rails so badly as to have a prototyped first guardian, and Rose and Dave's trip to create the Green Sun was kind of a one-off.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ways to have direct conversations:
  • The conversation involves a god tier player.
  • The conversation involves a sprite.
  • The conversation takes place in a dreambubble and begins in a nonverbal medium.
  • The conversation takes place in an interactive page.
I think the fourth one is somewhat likely, now that they've got this sburb.js thing, even though Hussie included a complaint about how hard it is in the last one.

Ariong posted:

We don't actually know how the slabs work. Haven't exactly got a control group to run a double-blind experiment, isolate the independent variable, and demonstrate a causal relationship between any of the involved elements. For this reason I doubt it's going to be important, and for that reason I am suddenly confident that it will.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I am honestly not sure if this is planning or self-parody, or maybe inspiration?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The secrets of homestuck are in SBaHJ. If you decode the whole comic, it cyphers out to one sentence - "the stonk of petroleum prebails thruout."

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

It is all, and none, and something else, together.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Count the shoes on the beautiful wonan/foxy slunt.