Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Good sweet tea is also good. They’re just different drinks for different meals/times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Well, I thought it was a popular opinion but apparently not: it's really lovely behavior to denigrate the food customs of different nationalities and cultures.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PizzaProwler posted:

Well, I thought it was a popular opinion but apparently not: it's really lovely behavior to denigrate the food customs of different nationalities and cultures.

it's ok when it's an imperialist country's food culture and most of what they eat are just watered down versions of stuff they took from somewhere else

i'd never mock good indigenous products of the uk and the us though, like black pudding or the noble hamburger

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

PizzaProwler posted:

I'm white, it's ok, we don't have a culture.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PizzaProwler posted:

US and UK mutually pick on each other for our garbage food. It's not that serious.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

veni veni veni posted:

US and UK mutually pick on each other for our garbage food. It's not that serious.

I'll admit, I dislike over-zealous joke policing, so I apologize for that. However, it's getting harder to tell the difference between genuine hate and good natured ribbing anymore.

This is probably more a problem on my end. I don't pick up on social cues all that well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

christmas boots posted:

I'm white, it's ok, we don't have a culture.

Yeah we do. You just don't see it because you've grown up in it so you unconsciously see it as just the default human experience. You don't have a culture, you're just standard. You see "culture" as something other people do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Yeah we do. You just don't see it because you've grown up in it so you unconsciously see it as just the default human experience. You don't have a culture, you're just standard. You see "culture" as something other people do.

Settle down. It’s a joke about how we don’t have a culture of our own because we stole it all from other people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

it's ok when it's an imperialist country's food culture and most of what they eat are just watered down versions of stuff they took from somewhere else

i'd never mock good indigenous products of the uk and the us though, like black pudding or the noble hamburger

*tries to monopolize world trade, does genocides a bunch*

*fails, gets owned by the english, keeps doing imperialisù*

*still has a loving monarch, still is like "orange! Get it? Our monarch and our national colour are the same! we are so good!"*

*still has no good food from their poo poo swamp country that isn't either fried or stolen*

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*tries to monopolize world trade, does genocides a bunch*

*fails, gets owned by the english, keeps doing imperialisù*

*still has a loving monarch, still is like "orange! Get it? Our monarch and our national colour are the same! we are so good!"*

*still has no good food from their poo poo swamp country that isn't either fried or stolen*

i mean yeah? i hate the netherlands too, the uk is just worse, you'll never hear me say anything but "get rid of them" about the dutch royal family either

our supermarkets do have slightly better food though, if not by much

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

christmas boots posted:

Settle down. It’s a joke about how we don’t have a culture of our own because we stole it all from other people.

Sorry about your joke bro

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

christmas boots posted:

The hard truth is that Americans make lovely tea and so do the British. For good tea, you need to ask the countries we stole it from in the first place.

Huh, I've heard that it is the opposite. The story I've heard is the following: the British exported all of the good tea from India, leaving the Indians with the dregs. Indians created chai because historically the tea that they had access to wasn't that great, and so they had to flavor the tea with spices.

edit: I guess China and India are very different. Wikipedia is telling me that tea wasn't that popular in India and really was only viewed as a medicinal beverage until the British started planting a lot of tea there in the early 19th century to disrupt the Chinese monopoly on tea.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Jun 17, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: countries with monarchs should really stop having them.

e: also tf2 is the best fps that is, was, or will be

e: and I mean tfé with stock or reasonable loadouts, spy is the worst class. spy is the one class that ads no fun to either team or anyone except themselves

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Jun 18, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The best political song of all time is Big Rock Candy Mountain

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm a vegetarian and even I can realize that both kinds of bacon are good you goddam loving goons. As always, Canada remains the best anglo(ish) country because you can get both kinds of bacon easily.

Also I just wanna further confuse the conversation by saying that the thing americans call "canadian bacon" is neither ham nor actual peameal bacon.

Streaky bacon is pretty popular in the UK too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

you shouldnt be an rear end in a top hat to customer service people personally but its okay to be demanding if they dont give you an adequate solution especially if its a big lovely company. its okay if youre just polite but say "i dont accept the solution and if you cant offer me anything else i will contact whatever consumer authority"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

.e: also tf2 is the best fps that is, was, or will be

Agreed. Titanfall 2 is definitely the best FPS of all time.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Gripweed posted:

:hmmyes:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed. Titanfall 2 is definitely the best FPS of all time.

Was gonna post this but knew id get beat to it

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

you shouldnt be an rear end in a top hat to customer service people personally but its okay to be demanding if they dont give you an adequate solution especially if its a big lovely company. its okay if youre just polite but say "i dont accept the solution and if you cant offer me anything else i will contact whatever consumer authority"

Yeah, you have to try to work the system without placing the faults of the system on the minimum wage customer service employee. I'm not great at this. I get too worked up sometimes.

Obviously the reason why e.g. the power company is not restoring your power in a timely manner after an outage has nothing to do with the customer service employee and more to do with how well the power company funds and staffs its repair crews and prioritizes your repair relative to other repairs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

...yeah, I'll give you this one.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Hobo heaven did sound pretty sweet.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who the hell buys a red GT-R?
Who buys one in any color other than white?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I like pinball.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*tilts fedora*

e: opinion: Rock music peaked in turn-of-the-century Fennoscandia.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Jun 20, 2020

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Me too, but I'm trash at it.

I don't like the band Queen very much. My mom is crazy about them and I'm pretty sure she actually worships Freddie Mercury, so she's always trying to convince me. But I just can't get into their music.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Someone saying "I don't like the band Queen" is a pretty big red flag for me to avoid having a conversation with them. I don't even like them that much, heck I probably only know the singles but those singles are some of the best songs in popular music history and hating them is weird.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

there's a world of difference between "hating" and "not really liking a whole lot"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

blatman posted:

there's a world of difference between "hating" and "not really liking a whole lot"

I mean yeah but also I'm chucking both those groups in the same boat when it comes to Queen songs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

for me rock music is kind of "no, unless", there's a few songs and bands that i do like but for the most part i don't like guitar music very much, there's something about rock that makes it neither as grand and emotional as spirituals or blues or classical nor as energetic and hypnotizing as electronic genres. not that those two poles are always good but i always felt like rock is an in-between genre that i find it hard to connect with. i also just hate bridges and the structure of most rock songs. most of the rock that i do like tends to be close to new wave or experimental, i have trouble liking a straight up, 70s style rock song with a man playing an electric guitar and yelping about his girlfriend

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

for me rock music is kind of "no, unless", there's a few songs and bands that i do like but for the most part i don't like guitar music very much, there's something about rock that makes it neither as grand and emotional as spirituals or blues or classical nor as energetic and hypnotizing as electronic genres. not that those two poles are always good but i always felt like rock is an in-between genre that i find it hard to connect with. i also just hate bridges and the structure of most rock songs. most of the rock that i do like tends to be close to new wave or experimental, i have trouble liking a straight up, 70s style rock song with a man playing an electric guitar and yelping about his girlfriend

Has there been a single really great bridge in a popular song ever

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not with that attitude!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

PizzaProwler posted:

making fun of other countries is an honorable tradition imo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I like that Simon and Garfunkel one.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Someone saying "I don't like the band Queen" is a pretty big red flag for me to avoid having a conversation with them. I don't even like them that much, heck I probably only know the singles but those singles are some of the best songs in popular music history and hating them is weird.

Queen is probably the best band with the most forgettable albums. Probably 2 or 3 great songs per album at best - but those songs are really great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean yeah but also I'm chucking both those groups in the same boat when it comes to Queen songs

Queen is a great band but if most of your exposure to them is We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody, it’s a perfectly reasonable response to assume they suck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Queen is a great band but if most of your exposure to them is We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody, it’s a perfectly reasonable response to assume they suck.

Those are all great though?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
These last 2 posts directly contradict each other

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The idea of anyone in 2020 still getting excited when they hear We Will Rock You is loving insane to me. Any random track on Sheer Heart Attack or Queen II is ten times better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
a lot of the time the reason a song is popular is because it's good.