Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tbh the thread title right now should probably be changed to something like "shits all hosed up right now broh don't buy a car unless you absolutely have to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

tbh the thread title right now should probably be changed to something like "shits all hosed up right now broh don't buy a car unless you absolutely have to."

As someone who just bought a car a few days ago out of necessity, I agree 100%

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You could get a brand new 2.0t sport in 2018 for around 28k but I guess maybe the used market is so hosed up you can't get a 3 year old used one for 3 grand less.

I don't know for sure I was just assuming, but I would definitely recommend that he should drive one if it's within his budget.

Driving a GS350 then the Accord Sport MT would be a good combo to see what kind of car you actually want.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Personally, I think it's this:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The car you want basically doesn't exist.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that is absolutely not true for the majority of people posing questions in this thread and would be a very stupid title

as for nwin, everyone has fixated on sedans for some reason even though they say they don't care about body style so what about :

CX-5 Turbo (might be tough to get in under $25K)
Acura RDX/MDX

All three of which are significantly sportier than a RAV4 and should be decently reliable etc.

powderific posted:

Fair enough, I get it. I do like the idea of a 3 series or A4/S4, but my only euro car experience is a P2 XC70. With those there's a couple things like the PCV breather you need to watch out for, and if you get the wrong year the transmission might explode, but otherwise they're pretty solid. In the Audi/BMW world it seems like things are a lot rougher.

I probably have stockholm syndrome but provided you keep up on maintenance and are prepared for some high dollar repairs you should be fine. I don't think most BMWs are that different from your P2 Volvo experience. A N55 powered 3 series should be pretty reliable. People get really up in arms because they expect Toyota like reliability where you can just not do routine maintenance or fix things when they get a little bit broken and that is a one way ticket towards a huge set of cascading problems. Understand the common problems, symptoms, and how to deal with them and you'll be fine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that is absolutely not true for the majority of people posing questions in this thread and would be a very stupid title

as for nwin, everyone has fixated on sedans for some reason even though they say they don't care about body style so what about :

CX-5 Turbo (might be tough to get in under $25K)
Acura RDX/MDX

All three of which are significantly sportier than a RAV4 and should be decently reliable etc.

I probably have stockholm syndrome but provided you keep up on maintenance and are prepared for some high dollar repairs you should be fine. I don't think most BMWs are that different from your P2 Volvo experience. A N55 powered 3 series should be pretty reliable. People get really up in arms because they expect Toyota like reliability where you can just not do routine maintenance or fix things when they get a little bit broken and that is a one way ticket towards a huge set of cascading problems. Understand the common problems, symptoms, and how to deal with them and you'll be fine.

I’m definitely leaning towards a 2013-2015 gs350 at this point because all the luxury features have wooed me a bit, but I need to test drive it.

My sister had an MDX and I liked that car, so it’s a possibility. The cx-5 still has the weird infotainment knob but I was thinking with CarPlay you never really use the stock infotainment anyways so who cares-that might be worth a check. I do worry about turbo longevity- can stock turbos shorten engine life or is that really not a valid concern?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I forgot you didn't like the rotary knob. In full disclosure I don't understand the point of the GS at all (which is why I'm suggesting other stuff) but if you like it more power to you. You could also look at the Hyundai Genesis (the thing before Genesis became its own brand) and in all honestly the Avalon might even be sporty enough by your standards.

Modern low pressure turbos are fine. It's another potential point of failure and it makes the car a bit more maintenance sensitive. But unless you are really planning to keep the car for like 250k miles it's not particularly likely that the turbo will be your point of failure that causes the car to become non-economical to repair.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I forgot you didn't like the rotary knob. In full disclosure I don't understand the point of the GS at all (which is why I'm suggesting other stuff) but if you like it more power to you. You could also look at the Hyundai Genesis (the thing before Genesis became its own brand) and in all honestly the Avalon might even be sporty enough by your standards.

Modern low pressure turbos are fine. It's another potential point of failure and it makes the car a bit more maintenance sensitive. But unless you are really planning to keep the car for like 250k miles it's not particularly likely that the turbo will be your point of failure that causes the car to become non-economical to repair.

Can you expand why you don’t see the point of the GS? Would you say the same for the IS or ES? From Lexus forums, people seem to think the ES is just a more expensive camry/avalon, whereas a GS is a sporty sedan like the IS…I don’t really get the difference between GS and IS though.

I saw some 2016 Hyundai Genesis in my range but I’m a little concerned about reliability-that might just be my own stigma toward the brand.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In full disclosure I don't understand the point of the GS at all

It's a luxury sports sedan? I don't understand why you don't understand :v:

You may not like it for whatever reason, but for the money used the GS (and almost any Lexus really) is a great value in terms of luxury options and overall reliability.

I would say the V8 Genesis is second to the GS, but the build and material quality isn't quite there in comparison. Also the Hyundai service experience leaves a lot to be desired.

nwin posted:

Can you expand why you don’t see the point of the GS? Would you say the same for the IS or ES? From Lexus forums, people seem to think the ES is just a more expensive camry/avalon, whereas a GS is a sporty sedan like the IS…I don’t really get the difference between GS and IS though.

I saw some 2016 Hyundai Genesis in my range but I’m a little concerned about reliability-that might just be my own stigma toward the brand.

The GS is larger than the IS. Think BMW 5 series vs 3 series. The IS is a good car but is a little cramped compared to the GS.

I'd say drive both, if you're a taller person that likes the leg room you'll probably like the GS better, if not the IS is a good option as well.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 24, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You may not like it for whatever reason, but for the money used the GS (and almost any Lexus really) is a great value in terms of luxury options and overall reliability.

I would say the V8 Genesis is second to the GS, but the build and material quality isn't quite there in comparison. Also the Hyundai service experience leaves a lot to be desired.

The GS is larger than the IS. Think BMW 5 series vs 3 series. The IS is a good car but is a little cramped compared to the GS.

Service experience is another question-if in looking at a 2015 model it will be out of warranty. From what I’ve read, you don’t want to take an out of warranty car to a dealership because you’ll pay higher prices and are better off with a private mechanic. If that’s the case then dies the Lexus experience really matter?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nwin posted:

Service experience is another question-if in looking at a 2015 model it will be out of warranty. From what I’ve read, you don’t want to take an out of warranty car to a dealership because you’ll pay higher prices and are better off with a private mechanic. If that’s the case then dies the Lexus experience really matter?

Lexus dealership service centers have been historically really good. We've owned two LS's and always take them to the dealer, they give us a loaner (Usually a new ES or RX) every time whether it's having the tires rotated or the brakes replaced. Overall they have been really good, altho lately the new service writer at our location has been kind of a dipshit causing confusion that's tempting us to go to the other location that's a little bit further.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We bought a 2018 Rogue. less than 30k miles and it was less than 19k, which is why we bought it. How bad did we gently caress up?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have a 5 series, I understand midsize luxury sports sedans extremely well. It's a luxury sports sedan that is both less luxurious and less sporty than it's peers. Yawn. If you don't mind the less sporty part, save up a few bucks and buy an LS, which is actually a good car. If you don't mind the less sporty part and you're cheap, buy an ES.

Reliability is for cowards.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

meanolmrcloud posted:

We bought a 2018 Rogue. less than 30k miles and it was less than 19k, which is why we bought it. How bad did we gently caress up?

Doesn't matter. You've already bought it, so our opinions don't really matter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lol ok

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In all seriousness, reliability and luxury sport sedans don't mix. Lexus can't manage it and neither can anyone else. Lexus has managed to build a reliable luxury(-) sport(-) sedan. If you want reliability, accept your fate.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have a 5 series, I understand midsize luxury sports sedans extremely well. It's a luxury sports sedan that is both less luxurious and less sporty than it's peers. Yawn. If you don't mind the less sporty part, save up a few bucks and buy an LS, which is actually a good car. If you don't mind the less sporty part and you're cheap, buy an ES.

I mean if I’m being honest I’ve always wanted a BMW, but the reliability scares me off and I’ve been told it’s best to lease a BMW for a few years to get it out of my system, but throwing money away like that for 3 years would be painful.

And let’s be honest- a Lexus will probably seem quite luxurious to me, coming from a ranger and a RAV4.

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 24, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In all seriousness, reliability and luxury sport sedans don't mix. Lexus can't manage it and neither can anyone else. Lexus has managed to build a reliable luxury(-) sport(-) sedan. If you want reliability, accept your fate.

Look, all I want is a car that's small and easy to park that can seat 7 and has space for lots of stuff, has a huge powerful engine that gets good fuel economy, is cheap to buy but looks expensive, and that pushes every mechanical limit for performance and has lots of luxury gadgets but is also very reliable.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Prius.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nwin posted:

I mean if I’m being honest I’ve always wanted a BMW, but the reliability scares me off and I’ve been told it’s best to lease a BMW for a few years to get it out of my system, but throwing money away like that for 3 years would be painful.

And let’s be honest- a Lexus will probably seem quite luxurious to me, coming from a ranger and a RAV4.

based on post history you aren't actually a keep-and-drive-into-ground guy - so sure, grab a BMW for a few years, keep up to date on maintenance, and sell it once you get it out of your system. it will cost more than owning a GS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gazoo Racing Prius V :gritin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wasn't trying to imply that the GS is the pinnacle of sports sedans, but it is a good car imo. If I could afford an M5 and the upkeep of it I'd probably have one too, among other cars I couldn't afford to buy, maintain and repair :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I wasn't trying to imply that the GS is the pinnacle of sports sedans, but it is a good car imo. If I could afford an M5 and the upkeep of it I'd probably have one too, among other cars I couldn't afford to buy, maintain and repair :v:

I just don't think you could ever convince me to spend incremental money on a GS over an Accord or Camry or Mazda6 if money was tight enough that the GS represented the top of my hypothetical range.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

based on post history you aren't actually a keep-and-drive-into-ground guy - so sure, grab a BMW for a few years, keep up to date on maintenance, and sell it once you get it out of your system. it will cost more than owning a GS.

That’s true-the only two cars I’ve paid off and kept longer than 5 years were a Honda Civic through college and a Honda Accord about ten years ago. I’d love to drive something in the ground but I’m moving every 3 years and I’ve gone between need/wanting AWD for the snow to being in Houston where that’s wasn’t important at all. Now we’ve got no pets but two kids so priorities keep shifting. My wife drives the kids the most but I still want the ability to drive them around if needed. I’m trying to plan for the long term even though I don’t know where I’ll be in the next 2 years, though hopefully somewhere up north. And yea, I realize snow tires are a better bet than AWD. I’m in the DC area right now so snow isn’t an issue-if it does snow everything gets shut down anyways.

How would a RWD Lexus function in the snow with snow tires though? Is it doable or should I aim for FWD/AWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Lexus would be perfectly fine although I am pretty sure there is an AWD variant post 2015 if it really concerns you.

If you've always wanted a BMW buy a CPO 3 series and sell it again when you inevitably have to move in two years.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I found the Taurus SHO to be a huge bargain and good compromise between features, comfort and power. It’s a boat but the AWD is nice. I was cross shopping similar cars like the GS350, LS460 among others like chargers and 300s. I also didn’t want to deal with German upkeep, but I fully understand this car will be more maintenance heavy than a Toyota. That said I don’t expect to ever leave me stranded and I’m ok with a little more maintenance. Just comes with the territory.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I just don't think you could ever convince me to spend incremental money on a GS over an Accord or Camry or Mazda6 if money was tight enough that the GS represented the top of my hypothetical range.

Me too, I'd rather have the Accord MT Sport tbh, but I don't care about ventilated seats or heated steering wheels either.

But If I had to have the most options for my money then Lexus it is.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you've always wanted a BMW buy a CPO 3 series and sell it again when you inevitably have to move in two years.
When I was shopping in 2017, I looked at a 2014 CPO 335i before settling on a slightly more expensive new Chevrolet SS. A 2014 with 70k on it now goes for $15k (from $32k in '17), so the depreciation + maintenance add up to almost exactly the same monthly cost as leasing a new one. If you want a BMW, lease a new one. If you want a money sink hobby, buy a 70-100k mile used one.

Lexus GS exists for people that want most of the upside of a 5-series but without the ongoing maintenance needs. Driving feel is a little worse than a brand new BMW but better than one with 30,000 miles of wear on all its suspension consumables, and won't deteriorate as fast.

I'd also probably just get an Accord Sport in this range if buying to keep for a while.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

heffray posted:

Lexus GS exists for people that want most of the upside of a 5-series but without the ongoing maintenance needs. Driving feel is a little worse than a brand new BMW but better than one with 30,000 miles of wear on all its suspension consumables, and won't deteriorate as fast.

This is actually a good summary of the GS :golfclap:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

meanolmrcloud posted:

You did OK. Like the other poster said, I'm not going to poopoo you and you already bought it. Go enjoy your new-to-you Rogue. It'll be OK.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

heffray posted:

When I was shopping in 2017, I looked at a 2014 CPO 335i before settling on a slightly more expensive new Chevrolet SS. A 2014 with 70k on it now goes for $15k (from $32k in '17), so the depreciation + maintenance add up to almost exactly the same monthly cost as leasing a new one. If you want a BMW, lease a new one. If you want a money sink hobby, buy a 70-100k mile used one.

I'd also probably just get an Accord Sport in this range if buying to keep for a while.

I suggested buy because it's much easier to sell a car whenever you want than to break a lease. If you know you're going to keep the car for 36/39, yeah, a lease is a better idea.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Todays example of why it’s a terrible idea to try to buy a car right now:

I’ve been kicking the idea around of buying a Mustang so I have a few searches set up. Came across this today. It’s a well optioned 2020 GT with 7700 miles selling for over 1000 bucks more than original MSRP.

https://www.saford.com/used-San+Antonio-2020-Ford-Mustang-GT-1FA6P8CF4L5176051

Im in no hurry, I can wait.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

its a good time to buy a new tacoma

i keep telling myself

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

ethanol posted:

its a good time to buy a new tacoma

i keep telling myself

What, you think my heart cares what the market is like?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does anyone have first or second hand experience selling a car to Carvana? They quoted me $37,500 for my truck and am wondering if it comes with strings attached. I took my car to a dealership while looking at the accord and they came back with $31,500 and gave me a line about how Carvana promises an “estimate” up front and then nickel and dimes you down. I got them to offer $34k but that’s the most they would do.

I have a appointment scheduled with Carmax for them to appraise my truck as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Carvana, for some reason, is massively over paying for vehicles. The offer is probably good

I have no idea why they’re doing what they are doing, but they’re doing it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

skipdogg posted:

Carvana, for some reason, is massively over paying for vehicles. The offer is probably good

I have no idea why they’re doing what they are doing, but they’re doing it.

From what I can tell, they’re trying to gain market share and burning through their capital to do so.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

The prevailing narrative is that Carvana is spending their venture capital money on purchasing market share by overpaying for cars (efb)

I assume this only applies to cars they would sell because they offered me barely over scrap metal value for my 2005 Matrix

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Trucks and SUV's are what they are overpaying for mostly and I think Vroom is actually the highest. It's free money if you have a secondary newish gently caress off truck that you don't need that much anymore.

I sold my 2018 4x4 Crew Cab Silverado LT to Vroom back in March. No issues at all.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Keyser_Soze posted:

Trucks and SUV's are what they are overpaying for mostly and I think Vroom is actually the highest. It's free money if you have a secondary newish gently caress off truck that you don't need that much anymore.

I sold my 2018 4x4 Crew Cab Silverado LT to Vroom back in March. No issues at all.

Vroom offered me 31k for my 2020 4x4 ranger supercrew xlt. I’m going to try Shift and Carmax but Carvana is the hugest at 37,500 right now. I only paid 35k for it brand new.

Edit: shift doesn’t work in my area

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 25, 2021