Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Another option is getting a 9560 off the outlet, you can get a 4K 16GB 512GB for ~$1500 (cheaper if you get a Scratch and Dent one) and they have a 17% off coupon at the moment too, so like $1250 or so? It'll be a little slower and miss any nice upgrades (like a fingerprint reader on the power button instead of an optional feature), but it'll also be like half the price of the equivalent new model when they're available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Holy poo poo friendos:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-precision-5530-2-in-1/preview/

It's the new XPS 15 2-in-1 but a Precision model:

CNet posted:

It uses the version of the Intel i7-8905G chip with AMD's integrated Radeon Pro WX Vega M GL rather than the consumer Radeon RX Vega M GL

Dreams do come true.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

fairlight posted:

Is there anything like this with like a 1070 instead? Maybe in a few months?

You can buy this exact product right now. GPU inflation has actually made an eGPU cost-effective too. :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

You can buy this exact product right now. GPU inflation has actually made an eGPU cost-effective too. :v:

This is not really the same thing. One is a laptop dock that has 12+ ports and provides power to the laptop with a VR capable GPU built in, all in one cable.

What you posted is just a GPU dongle. It's a good deal for a GPU, but it still tethers a bunch of crap within 3' of your laptop, the laptop still needs a separate power supply, etc, i.e. more cables.

The graphics dock allows you to put all the hot, noisy poo poo, the power supplies, usb mouse/keyboard dongles, external monitor cables, I/O poo poo far, far away from your workspace.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hadlock posted:

hot, noisy poo poo

mods, name change pls

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS-15-i7-8705G-Thunderbolt/dp/B07BW9PW32

Are these really the prices we can expect on Kaby Lake G laptops?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If you buy from BEST LAPTOP, probably

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Thinkpad X1 Carbon came today. Really nice machine, super sleek. Looking forward to getting the new Ubuntu LTS set up on this thing and using it for years and years.

From what I’ve read, the thermals and throttling need a lot of fiddling with the X1. Can anyone comment on that?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hadlock posted:

This is not really the same thing. One is a laptop dock that has 12+ ports and provides power to the laptop with a VR capable GPU built in, all in one cable.

What you posted is just a GPU dongle. It's a good deal for a GPU, but it still tethers a bunch of crap within 3' of your laptop, the laptop still needs a separate power supply, etc, i.e. more cables.

The graphics dock allows you to put all the hot, noisy poo poo, the power supplies, usb mouse/keyboard dongles, external monitor cables, I/O poo poo far, far away from your workspace.

Then the Lenovo GTX 1050 dock isn’t much of a dock either, with just 3 USB ports and Ethernet. The Gigabyte 1070 box does 100W USB-PD too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The power adapter for my laptop just blew. I can't find the original make (Delta Electronics ADP-180NB BC) anywhere reputable so I ordered this to replace it. It should be correct electronically (19.5 V, 9.2A, 180W), I'm just wondering if there's any other pitfalls I'm not seeing? I'm overseas so it's going to take at least a week to get here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

The power adapter for my laptop just blew. I can't find the original make (Delta Electronics ADP-180NB BC) anywhere reputable so I ordered this to replace it. It should be correct electronically (19.5 V, 9.2A, 180W), I'm just wondering if there's any other pitfalls I'm not seeing? I'm overseas so it's going to take at least a week to get here.

You need the following things:
1. same voltage
2. same or higher current/power rating (amps and/or wattage)
3. same connector type and size
4. same polarity:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The one that just failed is positive polarity, the one from Amazon doesn't say what it is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It will (or at least it should) be labeled on the power supply itself. And if it's backwards, a quick snip and flip will fix that.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Atomizer posted:

This is exactly what a CB can take care of. I use mine for those specific purposes: anything Web-related (including streaming multimedia) and using Chrome Remote Desktop to connect to Windows machines.

Sweet. Thanks for the reply!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

WiFi card and RAM on the XPS 15 2-in-1 are soldered onto the board.

https://search.app.goo.gl/i6QAX

:negative:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Embrace the monochip

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What should I look at if I want a 15" Windows laptop with a good (read: not weird or trying to be innovative) keyboard, no coil whine, and a good screen?

Coil whine is an absolute dealbreaker for me, it drives me nuts and my ears are very sensitive to it.

I'm looking for a good standard laptop keyboard with normal travel. I'm pretty sure this rules out the normal XPS 15, although I need to go see one in person. It certainly rules out the XPS 15 2in1. I looked at Thinkpad T and P series, but there are warnings of coil whine everywhere.

The most demanding thing I use a laptop for is photo editing in Lightroom, but I'm not a pro, so it's not critical for me to have 100% perfect color.

Thanks for any recs and sorry about my weird neurotic requirements. Budget is probably $2k.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If coil whine is your #1 concern be prepared for a lot of returns. Also don't get pissed if you actually find something that is fine out of the box but develops whine later and only gets worse - thats just natural wear and tear.

Thinkpads are still the way forward for keyboard quality IMO. I can confirm that the current XPS 15 keyboard is not as good as the previous form factors' (9530) but not in a deal breaking way.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Thinkpads are considered the main choice for laptops with better keyboards. I have an hp spectre x360, and I also feel the keyboard is pretty good. I find it to be better than the the keyboards on the standard XPS models.

If you have a best buy or some such thing around, you might be able to try out some of the thinkpad keyboards. Linus just did a review of the newest X1 carbon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQt6Eqk5boE

Coil whine can happen to any laptop. Some seem to have more cases of it than others though. As mentioned, if you are seriously neurotic about it be prepared for some returns.

The current XPS15 keyboards feel similar to me as the old MBP keyboards. Low key travel, a little mushy, but functional.

The XPS15 2-in-1 keyboard seems more similar to the new MBP keyboards, with the super low travel. I haven't tried the new 2-in-1 maglev keyboard, but I have tried the new MBP keyboards and dislike them.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 25, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Costco has a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop with a 1080p ips screen, 1060 6gb, 8gb ddr4 2400, 256gb ssd and i5 7300 for $750. Anything out there similar that includes g-sync for under $1000?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Enos Cabell posted:

Costco has a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop with a 1080p ips screen, 1060 6gb, 8gb ddr4 2400, 256gb ssd and i5 7300 for $750. Anything out there similar that includes g-sync for under $1000?

There’s an Acer Predator that flirts with $1000, depending on promos. It also weighs a ton.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

There’s an Acer Predator that flirts with $1000, depending on promos. It also weighs a ton.

Hah, my brother bought a Predator a few years ago and I swear the power brick alone weighs more than my old laptop did. After some thought I'll probably be using this hooked up to an external monitor quite a bit, so gsync would be a waste. Think I'll pull the trigger on that Insprion, $750 seems like a great price.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Filthy Monkey posted:

Thinkpads are considered the main choice for laptops with better keyboards. I have an hp spectre x360, and I also feel the keyboard is pretty good. I find it to be better than the the keyboards on the standard XPS models.

If you have a best buy or some such thing around, you might be able to try out some of the thinkpad keyboards. Linus just did a review of the newest X1 carbon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQt6Eqk5boE

Coil whine can happen to any laptop. Some seem to have more cases of it than others though. As mentioned, if you are seriously neurotic about it be prepared for some returns.

The current XPS15 keyboards feel similar to me as the old MBP keyboards. Low key travel, a little mushy, but functional.

The XPS15 2-in-1 keyboard seems more similar to the new MBP keyboards, with the super low travel. I haven't tried the new 2-in-1 maglev keyboard, but I have tried the new MBP keyboards and dislike them.

Could you share some thoughts on your HP Spectre x360? It's mostly build quality I'm worried about.

The number pad and 4k screen with the Intel/Vega chip really ticks my boxes and I'm wondering if I should save up for that or do the smart thing and pinch my pennies for longer for an updated Precision.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

Could you share some thoughts on your HP Spectre x360? It's mostly build quality I'm worried about.

The number pad and 4k screen with the Intel/Vega chip really ticks my boxes and I'm wondering if I should save up for that or do the smart thing and pinch my pennies for longer for an updated Precision.

It's not going to be durable like a Precision, it's meant to be a fancy laptop for fancy people. Build quality is quite nice though, metal everywhere and seemingly solid hinges. I can't recommend anything HP other than that series, but they did well with the Spectre.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If a laptop has a 1060 gpu and a usb-c connector it should work properly with a gsync monitor correct?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Filthy Monkey posted:

I always forget about HP. The 8705g Spectre looks really tempting. I'm going to try to check out the keyboard at Best Buy. Thanks. Thanks Seamonster as well.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Enos Cabell posted:

If a laptop has a 1060 gpu and a usb-c connector it should work properly with a gsync monitor correct?

Gotta be actual displayport out, unless I misunderstand.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

Gotta be actual displayport out, unless I misunderstand.

From what I've been able to figure out, the model I'm looking at does pass the displayport signal through the usb-c port. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the laptop, so guess I'll find out if it works when it shows up. Not really a deal breaker, just curious more than anything.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

From what I've been able to figure out, the model I'm looking at does pass the displayport signal through the usb-c port. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the laptop, so guess I'll find out if it works when it shows up. Not really a deal breaker, just curious more than anything.

Can you link me? Everything I've read says USB-C just ends up passing through the integrated card instead

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

Can you link me? Everything I've read says USB-C just ends up passing through the integrated card instead

Specifically, USB-C has Alt Modes that route other protocols (HDMI, DP, MHL, TB3) over its physical connector. However, in the case of laptop video outputs they could come from either the dGPU or the iGPU. Ideally it'd be the former (so you could use an external monitor for gaming) however ultimately you have to verify this with each individual laptop model.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the best source I could find for the model I bought.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11780/dell-announces-updates-to-inspiron-15-7000-gaming-laptops-gtx-1060-thunderbolt-3-and-usb31

The relevant quote

anandtech posted:

Meanwhile the model Dell is introducing today, the late-2017 model 7577, is receiving several updates, including a faster graphics card option in the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, a quick-charge 56 Whr 4-Cell battery, 2x2 802.11ac WiFi, an IPS display in the base configuration, and a Thunderbolt 3 port (USB3.1 Gen2 Type-C port with support for Thunderbolt and DisplayPort).

So it probably should work, maybe?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's not going to be durable like a Precision, it's meant to be a fancy laptop for fancy people. Build quality is quite nice though, metal everywhere and seemingly solid hinges. I can't recommend anything HP other than that series, but they did well with the Spectre.

Thanks!

Yeah, I mean that Spectre with Vega vs XPS 15 with a 1050 Ti vs Precision with a P2000 is kinda what I'm looking at.

Hopefully the Precision pricing isn't completely out of control, but that's completely GPU dependent.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Is the Acer c720p still worth buying at a sub-$100 price point? I'm traveling abroad this summer and I'd like something cheap and semi-disposable to take notes/video conference/web browse. I've seen a few on eBay going at this price. I'm also curious if it's feasible to take notes on the screen with a stylus, because that would be fantastic.

I'm comfortable buying used and getting something that's already scuffed and dinged on the body. I figure it may work to disincentivize stealing it.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

This is the best source I could find for the model I bought.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11780/dell-announces-updates-to-inspiron-15-7000-gaming-laptops-gtx-1060-thunderbolt-3-and-usb31

The relevant quote

So it probably should work, maybe?

Thanks for the info, got some research to do on my end now!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fanny packrat posted:

Is the Acer c720p still worth buying at a sub-$100 price point? I'm traveling abroad this summer and I'd like something cheap and semi-disposable to take notes/video conference/web browse. I've seen a few on eBay going at this price. I'm also curious if it's feasible to take notes on the screen with a stylus, because that would be fantastic.

I'm comfortable buying used and getting something that's already scuffed and dinged on the body. I figure it may work to disincentivize stealing it.

If the model's the one with 4 GB of RAM, <$100 would be just fine for that. I think there was only one CPU option, a 2955U Celeron (which is fine, it's a Haswell part.)

You could probably hand-write notes into Evernote or something like that with a generic capacitive stylus.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

foutre posted:

Have you tried doing a fresh Windows install? I ended up ordering this as well and it's great to hear that it's good otherwise.

Good news. The official nvidia drivers now work.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
My wife has a very old macbook that is no longer supported for OS updates. We need to upgrade. She uses it for browsing the internet and that's about it. She'd prefer if it wasn't much more the 3-3.5lbs. We have young kids so it needs to be durable. We're in Canada.

Initially the toss up was between a refurbished i5 macbook or a Lenova T470/480 ultrabook. So we're looking at about $1350-$2000 after tax. That seems like a lot for what she's using it for.

Are there are decent options for around $800-$1000 CDN that would meet the criteria?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Got a Gigabyte Aero 15x v8. [...] The 144hz feels pretty good, but its akin more to my desktop at 96 hz or so, I didn't check the response time on the pixels vs the two.

Thanks for the writeup on the new Aeros. Do you know why the 144hz on the laptop screen feels more like 96hz on a desktop monitor?

Edit: And speaking of Aeros, just saw this review for the Aero 14" 8th-gen / GTX 1050ti laptop: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-Aero-14-v8-i7-8750H-GTX-1050-Ti-QHD-Laptop-Review.300680.0.html

Too bad they still kept the fat bezels, which makes it only 2cm smaller in width to an Aero 15 / XPS 15 so hardly capitalizing on that smaller screen.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 27, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Rhaegar posted:

My wife has a very old macbook that is no longer supported for OS updates. We need to upgrade. She uses it for browsing the internet and that's about it. She'd prefer if it wasn't much more the 3-3.5lbs. We have young kids so it needs to be durable. We're in Canada.

Initially the toss up was between a refurbished i5 macbook or a Lenovo T470/480 ultrabook. So we're looking at about $1350-$2000 after tax. That seems like a lot for what she's using it for.

Are there are decent options for around $800-$1000 CDN that would meet the criteria?

If it's just internet browsing, you should consider a Chromebook. Try asking here: Chromebook Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If you or she particularly want to stay in the mac world then I'd look at a (refurb) 12" macbook. I've used one for software dev work for several years so they'd be fine for your workload, plus they're extremely light.

I've never used a chromebook but it does sound like the ideal use case. Maybe a tablet is also worth considering?