Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

can we please stop posting this cunts tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

In Italy, a “Green Pass” that residents can download on their phone is now required to dine indoors, go to museums and concerts, access gyms and amusement parks, and take public exams. It is available to Italians who have received at least one vaccine dose, have had a recent negative swab or have recovered from Covid in the last six months.

On Friday, many in Rome welcomed the introduction of the pass.

“It’s necessary and right,” said Susanna Simonetto, a 50-year-old clerk at the Trastevere museum, adding that she now felt much safer working with visitors. “It’s an opportunity to get out of this situation,” she said.

At the Capitoline Museums, Margherita Catenuto, 18, proudly showed her QR code as she walked in. “It’s like showing you have a conscience,” she said. “You do it for yourself and for the others.”

Most Italians support the pass, according to polls, and its announcement last month prompted an increase in vaccination bookings.

oh whats that like

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Koirhor posted:

can we please stop posting this cunts tweets

Thanks for quoting that post so I had to see it again :barf:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also lol at the railroads still running, there is literally almost no women in railroad maintenance.

Maybe I'm misremembering and it was just they were able to salvage the trains by shoving the dead engineers out of the way but most of the planes crashed and burned. The comic got a lot of mileage out of the absurd situations they found themselves in because women had been kept out of so many fields. Like the new president is the former secretary of agriculture because she was the highest up the presidential line of succession.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

etalian posted:

I like the all the hilarious new info like how the CDC's info and bragging about breakthrough cases being non-existent was driven primarily by a data set from previous strains.

really does kinda suck that we got Delta doesn't it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol had to go into the office today to process hardware and again - the only person out of at least 10 in a tiny office space wearing a mask. Wore my respirator on the bus and switched over to an n95 when I walked in just because the breathing noise is a little distracting.

but lmao

Bus ride was great tho. got some good looks. plus walking in downtown seattle this morning only about 30% of people were masking. Cops glarin.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

brugroffil posted:

its the three months of watching india get super turbo hosed and shrugging that really does it for me

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

death

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's Friday at my office, so all the engineers pile into two cars and carpool to go eat lunch in a restaurant together.

Defeating COVID will never happen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

brugroffil posted:

I know at my workplace they over-used the "New normal" since June and PR articles from Brown nosers about how they excited they were
about being back to work.

Looks like reality is raining on the parade again, it made for a hilarious mission accomplished moment.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oregon hasn't updated their Breakthrough Cases link for July yet but searching their website revealed the report anyway (website link):

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/DataReports/Breakthrough-Report-08-2021.pdf

I'll have to look at it in more detail later compared to last months but overall it looks about the same in terms of percentages and ages.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering and it was just they were able to salvage the trains by shoving the dead engineers out of the way but most of the planes crashed and burned. The comic got a lot of mileage out of the absurd situations they found themselves in because women had been kept out of so many fields. Like the new president is the former secretary of agriculture because she was the highest up the presidential line of succession.

Imagine the military and police just evaporating lol

But yeah that makes more sense, you could definitely get essential trains back up and running.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Gresh posted:

As a long hauler(7 months in), I'd like to know where the virus came from if it increases any possibility of scientists coming up with treatments or a cure. It loving pisses me off how the virus's origins became so political... if it weren't for Trump, I doubt it ever would've became political, at least on the level he made it. When Trump went around calling it the China virus to deflect from his own massive failures of handling the pandemic and his chudbrain surrogates starting fomenting racism and bioweapon conspiracy theories, the subject became completely toxic. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, this is the same guy that refused to ever wear a mask in public and is largely responsible for making masks the dumbest loving culture war ever.

It's not like there's an antidote sitting in a CIA or CCCP vault somewhere. The virus and resulting disease are what they are and treatments are being developed based on studying them.

More to the point, uncovering the precise origin of the virus is pointless because it doesn't help us handle this current pandemic or prepare for the next one any better. We already know how to deal with outbreaks, what kind of regular surveillance needs to be done to detect novel viruses and what kind of research to ban because it's too dangerous. Knowing where SARs-COV-2 doesn't help with any of this. Even if you got iron-clad proof that CCCP or New Zealander researchers developed and inadvertently released the virus it doesn't matter, we already knew that shouldn't have been done. We're not going to be any better prepared for the inevitable next pandemic because we figured out where this one came from, we'll be prepared by actually doing what we know we should be doing including actually dealing with the current pandemic properly.

If identifying the origins of SARs-COV-2 doesn't help with treatments or to deal with the current pandemic or even to prevent the next pandemic then it's totally useless information. People are only pursuing it for nationalistic purposes and any interest in the topic should be viewed in that context.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pillowpants posted:

Anyone else getting REALLY tired of the idiots in their lives who seem to fall into 2 trains of thought.

1. Trump Voting Conservatives who think Covid was overblown and are still quoting studies from OG Covid about how bad it is while talking about freeing our children from masking because its not that deadly.

2. Nate Silver data nerd liberals who are only loking at the data to say "oh its just regionalized outbreaks in the South, nothing to worry about"

I only have the second kind but hoo boy is if obnoxious

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

silicone thrills posted:

lol had to go into the office today to process hardware and again - the only person out of at least 10 in a tiny office space wearing a mask. Wore my respirator on the bus and switched over to an n95 when I walked in just because the breathing noise is a little distracting.

but lmao

Bus ride was great tho. got some good looks. plus walking in downtown seattle this morning only about 30% of people were masking. Cops glarin.

At the end of my shift I leave with 2 other people so we don't get jumped on the way to our cars. I came around the cubicle wall wearing my respirator last night and one of my walking buddies went "what the gently caress".

I regret not getting one with a speech diaphragm because I gotta talk to end users and it's hard to do my job when I sound like Kenny from South Park.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

tangy yet delightful posted:

Oregon hasn't updated their Breakthrough Cases link for July yet but searching their website revealed the report anyway (website link):

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/DataReports/Breakthrough-Report-08-2021.pdf

I'll have to look at it in more detail later compared to last months but overall it looks about the same in terms of percentages and ages.

i think the real concern here is that vaccinated and infected has some real super spreader potentional to burn through a population of morons at an alarming rate. you'd think instead of doubling down they'd want anything that helps the odds but

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
it's really amazing how little the seattle population has given a poo poo about the CDC recommendation to mask up. nothing has changed at all in stores from what I see.. the same 10% or so of people are masking and everyone else is yolo

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
i’m having a loving meltdown today someone give me a sixer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

At the end of my shift I leave with 2 other people so we don't get jumped on the way to our cars. I came around the cubicle wall wearing my respirator last night and one of my walking buddies went "what the gently caress".

I regret not getting one with a speech diaphragm because I gotta talk to end users and it's hard to do my job when I sound like Kenny from South Park.

Having switched from one without a speech diaphragm to one with one, it's really not that huge a difference. You still sound like you have a respirator on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

it's really amazing how little the seattle population has given a poo poo about the CDC recommendation to mask up. nothing has changed at all in stores from what I see.. the same 10% or so of people are masking and everyone else is yolo

I'm pretty sure that applies everywhere. Barring any kind of mandates, no one will do anything.

I will say here in greater Cincinnati, I have seen more masks than usual, but it's not a lot, maybe 6% over the standard 3% I saw over the last few months.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/OakMorr/status/1423669572217950210?s=20

lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
everyone was with masks until the dipshit cdc said take em off its fine (in nyc anyway..ya know cuz of all the dead people daily)

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Koirhor posted:

i’m having a loving meltdown today someone give me a sixer

Lol. In encountering a lot more crack pings this wave.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:sickos:

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Cackling more irl

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Imagine the military and police just evaporating lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

people will die if you let us do our job so people don't die

is the most cop poo poo ever, nailed it guys

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

people will die if you let us do our job so people don't die

is the most cop poo poo ever, nailed it guys

I loved all the articles on on cops refusing to getting vaccinated even though they were offered "fast track" treatment back Q1 when supplies were really limited.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Test positivity in my county is 25.5%, up from under 10 seven days ago. America is boned.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

Test positivity in my county is 25.5%, up from under 10 seven days ago. America is boned.

we are definitely boned but that could be a reporting issue. here in WA counties aren’t reporting all negative tests (no idea why) and it’s skewing the positive rate but we don’t know how badly bc we don’t know how many tests aren’t reported wheeee

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

i think the real concern here is that vaccinated and infected has some real super spreader potentional to burn through a population of morons at an alarming rate. you'd think instead of doubling down they'd want anything that helps the odds but

Did you mean to quote me here? I don't know how that concern has to do with tracking how the vaccines are doing as time goes on with preventing breakthrough/hospitalization/deaths (and long covid which of course isn't tracked here)?

I mean I agree with your concern but I don't know how it relates to the report on breakthroughs.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

etalian posted:

I loved all the articles on on cops refusing to getting vaccinated even though they were offered "fast track" treatment back Q1 when supplies were really limited.

"ya know i dont know whats in that thing", says officer bitchtits as he inhales the last of the krispy kremes with indifference

honestly i could care less about them, mandate it or don't, they get pensions early and if they survive they can afford the medical poo poo

i draw the line at medical professionals pulling that though...fucks wrong with y'all

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
im numb.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

n-no, stop, anything but that...

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

azurite posted:

Got some bad news: Cats can catch COVID too.

Yeah but watery eyes is typically an allergy symptom, not COVID. Especially since it's much more pronounced when she's just been out on the screened in porch. I'm also vaccinated and have no particular reason to suspect covid (no known contact with a positive person). Also it's gone away now that I'm loaded up on antihistamines.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

lol the UK has leveled off at 30k cases a day. they've grown for the past 3 days straight in cases. this is a catastrophically high level lmao, and poo poo libs are saying "oh look the UK spike was fast, the US spike will be fast too!"

The fun part is that the UK managed to vax all the olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

tangy yet delightful posted:

Did you mean to quote me here? I don't know how that concern has to do with tracking how the vaccines are doing as time goes on with preventing breakthrough/hospitalization/deaths (and long covid which of course isn't tracked here)?

I mean I agree with your concern but I don't know how it relates to the report on breakthroughs.

yeah, just the last part that the rate remains mostly the same, to which i was poorly saying, even if breakthroughs are low (and lets see what augusts stats are like) it only takes a few infected vaccinated folks to spread it willy nilly at brunch of whatever thanks to the god awful work of everyone in "charge" thus far