Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I remember going to Jackson Hole for a wedding and flying in late at night. Basically just checked in and went to bed. The next morning when I woke up, stepped outside, and saw all the mountains I was floored.

Yeah Jackson Hole is loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Crazy Ted posted:

One thing I've learned here is that mountains never stop being really pretty if you didn't grow up near them and/or take them for granted. However, Idaho & Wyoming are pretty much flat, depressing, and really loving windy if you're on the Interstate.

Driving I-80 through Wyoming was, I think, the first time I've been seriously scared for long stretches of time driving through something other than heavy & aggressive traffic. I can't remember where, but there are places on I-80 in Wyoming where they have electronic signs telling you what the current crosswind speeds are because they're frequently over 55 MPH. Driving through that with a Speed Limit of 80? gently caress that.

That sounds about right, my memory of I-80 is trucks with no limiters darting around trucks with limiters going 55 MPH at 70 whereas the flow of car traffic was 90+. Scary poo poo!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Hey, Idaho has mountains and natural beauty! It’s just in the northern panhandle where the concentration of white supremacists is the highest.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Never have I felt so much like I was about to get hatecrimed as my cut through there on the way to Yellowstone.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Rick posted:

That sounds about right, my memory of I-80 is trucks with no limiters darting around trucks with limiters going 55 MPH at 70 whereas the flow of car traffic was 90+. Scary poo poo!

This is my experience on 80 between 287 and the gw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://x.com/shamscharania/status/1790931985453478008?s=46

Even for Shams this is some hilarious “sources said”

quote:

Furthermore, rival executives believe the Cavs will have to seriously evaluate the fit of Mitchell and Garland and ultimately may have to choose one or the other. Should Mitchell decide to stay long term, sources briefed on the matter say Garland’s representation, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul, would have a conversation with Cavs officials on potentially finding a new home for the one-time All-Star.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
so frustrating

https://x.com/cboehm/status/1792612186545860741

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Driving I-80 through Wyoming was, I think, the first time I've been seriously scared for long stretches of time driving through something other than heavy & aggressive traffic. I can't remember where, but there are places on I-80 in Wyoming where they have electronic signs telling you what the current crosswind speeds are because they're frequently over 55 MPH. Driving through that with a Speed Limit of 80? gently caress that.

I, a U-Dub alumnus, get you 100% :respek:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

God drat I hate pat mcafee so much

https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1797669440785649746?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

shock jockery

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
He clearly didn't mean it as a pejorative and was trying to hype her up, but it still was a super dumb thing to say. People are going to take it out of context, Pat, you have national exposure! (in my mind he reads the forums and will see this).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Obviously he didn’t mean it pejoratively he was hyping her up by insulting basically every other W player he just can’t do it without being a big dumb meathead because he is a big dumb meathead to his core. the whole take itself is dumb and shows his completely lack of interest in the WNBA before two months ago and his complete lack of interest in actually learning about it. ESPN replaced a bunch of really good reporters and talking heads with the dumbest guy at the sports bar and have been reaping the benefits ever since

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DC Murderverse posted:

ESPN replaced a bunch of really good reporters and talking heads with the dumbest guy at the sports bar and have been reaping the benefits ever since
Yeah unfortunately real journalism doesn't make enough money

It was a slow downhill slide after PTI went on the air and started the trend of talking heads yelling

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

ESPN replaced a bunch of really good reporters and talking heads with the dumbest guy at the sports bar and have been reaping the benefits ever since

Holy poo poo if this doesn't hit the nail on the head. Hadn't thought of it like that before, but it's perfect.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Sports talk has always been lowest common denominator what can I be mad about today that will fill 6 hours of airtime. The smart reporter has always just been a brief reprieve

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
But also here’s some assholes takes from different kinds of assholes

https://x.com/chicagotribune/status/1797739909148475525?s=46

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Love takes so bad the sports page has to say that's not us or our opinions

https://twitter.com/byjuliapoe/status/1797753832040215033

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was a slow downhill slide after PTI went on the air and started the trend of talking heads yelling

The real McAfee lure for them is that he does his own production. They pay a lump sum and he does the rest. His value is as much in the lack of overhead for ESPN as anything else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

But also here’s some assholes takes from different kinds of assholes

https://x.com/chicagotribune/status/1797739909148475525?s=46

yeah that is racially coded

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The only time I've seen people seriously advocate for assault charges on athletes are a couple of high-profile cheap shots in the NHL that absolutely could've killed the person, the Malice in the Palace and the Tyson ear bite, people have lost their loving minds lol. Like even if you're reasonably on the "Hey that wasn't cool lady!" side it's not even worth fighting the battle because Caitlin will be fine and all your allies have Hitler Particles visible to the naked eye emanating from them

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like this is like blaming Rage Against the Machine for nu metal. Kornheiser & Eilbon were great, it’s not their fault that everyone who came after them sucked.

Around the Horn would be KoRn in this analogy

Skip Bayless is Fred Durst

The Sports Reporters is Faith No More

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Who's Deftones

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

speaking of around the horn, original panelist tj simers died

https://awfulannouncing.com/newspapers/tj-simers-la-times-sports-columnist-dies.html

https://x.com/bhofheimer_espn/status/1797743471358611686

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I feel like this is like blaming Rage Against the Machine for nu metal. Kornheiser & Eilbon were great, it’s not their fault that everyone who came after them sucked.

Audioslave being the period when Kornheiser was hosting MNF and kicking people out of Wilbon's hot tub

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Who's Deftones

The first 30 for 30 people?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gerund posted:

Audioslave being the period when Kornheiser was hosting MNF and kicking people out of Wilbon's hot tub

What a time that was

So what does this make the LeBatard pirate ship? Vibes wise I want to say ska, even if that’s not a perfect analogy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I don't know if you read the book about ESPN that came out several years ago, but it seemed like a big turning point was when a new exec came in and greenlit shows like PTI and Around the Horn, etc that were mostly just talking heads and argument stuff like sports talk radio.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

harperdc posted:

What a time that was

So what does this make the LeBatard pirate ship? Vibes wise I want to say ska, even if that’s not a perfect analogy.

Weird Al. Wildly successful doing their own lighter take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Obligatory 30 Rock, "Sports Shouting," image.