Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Buy the thing in the link.

E: Wow, spectacularly bad snipe.
E2: I guess I should also say I bought this one (same price) and can recommend it too.

Also: dog tax

marjorie fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

marjorie posted:

E2: I guess I should also say I bought this one (same price) and can recommend it too.

oh, I was about to ask if any supported a second input as well since I've got another 3.5mm device I wanted to be able to connect, nice! lil more than I'd like to spend but definitely not the worst purchase I'll have made for this hobby

e: would just a mixer like https://smile.amazon.com/Rolls-MX51S-Four-Channel-Stereo-Mixer/dp/B0002BG2S6/ work, given that the turntable has a preamp? I suppose the amp would give me the option to someday get Nice Headphones, though...

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 21, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

marjorie posted:

Great album.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

oh, I was about to ask if any supported a second input as well since I've got another 3.5mm device I wanted to be able to connect, nice! lil more than I'd like to spend but definitely not the worst purchase I'll have made for this hobby

e: would just a mixer like https://smile.amazon.com/Rolls-MX51S-Four-Channel-Stereo-Mixer/dp/B0002BG2S6/ work, given that the turntable has a preamp? I suppose the amp would give me the option to someday get Nice Headphones, though...

I'm not an expert, so I'll defer to others if they have a more concrete answer, but I think if you're driving lower impedance headphones you may not notice the difference. The Atom is going to be a cleaner sound for sure, but whether or not you can tell is the question. Amazon has a pretty easy return system usually, so you could always try the mixer first and see if it's sufficient. But if you're thinking long term and want to eventually drive a good set of cans, I'd say go for a quality dedicated amp like the Atom.

CPL593H posted:

Great album.

Hell yeah it is. Someone here hyped me to it on a bandcamp Friday last summer and I'm forever grateful.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Download code for Jacques Greene - Dawn Chorus

luckyme.net/redeem
psMS7zqe

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

it dont matter posted:

Download code for Jacques Greene - Dawn Chorus

luckyme.net/redeem
psMS7zqe

Thoroughly enjoyed claiming this, and I thank you kindly :tipshat:

marjorie posted:

:hfive:

I put the splatty version of that in my cart and then sat on it until payday, by which time it was sold out. But it was somehow still in my cart and I was able to check out. And they sent that version. Good luck!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What, uh, album is that for those of us not super in tune to hot bandcamp bands?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The Baja Men

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Oh now I get it goddamn that's funny. Shameful confession time: child me begged for the Rugrats in Paris CD soundtrack just for that song.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

What, uh, album is that for those of us not super in tune to hot bandcamp bands?

Tropical gently caress Storm. That's not actually the cover it's an insert and they have two albums now.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/collections/tropical-gently caress-storm

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Turbinosamente posted:

CPL593H covered ya, but more specifically it's A Laughing Death in Meatspace.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Cleary I got got, oh well. Thanks for the answers all!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah, Tropical gently caress Storm.

Only time I ever nabbed a drumstick at the end of the show and it was just covered in blood. :rock:

It's currently stuck in the wine bottle Sunn O))) handed to me, which is in the Devo Energy Dome I caught at Desert Daze.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah, Tropical gently caress Storm.

Only time I ever nabbed a drumstick at the end of the show and it was just covered in blood. :rock:

It's currently stuck in the wine bottle Sunn O))) handed to me, which is in the Devo Energy Dome I caught at Desert Daze next to the hairbrush I stole from Dan Deacon's garbage can which sits on the table I bought from Daft Punk's accountant's yard sale under my framed Gibby Haynes sock that was given to me by Dean Ween.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
all my P-Model/Susumu Hirasawa stuff has finally come in, gonna be a fun weekend

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Recently worked on my music room / shrine to BTBAM, figured you guys would probably dig this

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I can't tell if your Tardis is defective or if you just have millions of drums sticks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Ornette Coleman and Lime Time

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Put the limes on the record while it’s spinning. See how long it will play.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I want to get a new shelf for my turntable and receiver, and I kind of want something like this but you know, not for $250. Anyone have any comparable recommendations?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ballz posted:

I want to get a new shelf for my turntable and receiver, and I kind of want something like this but you know, not for $250. Anyone have any comparable recommendations?

i posted about this some number of pages a while ago but I love this one I got from Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/707248066/cherry-stained-3-tier-turntable-stand?ref=yr_purchases

also comes in a two-shelf version and they can do some size customization if you ask, took about two weeks for me to get mine. it comes assembled and is pretty sturdy, and the crate-like construction with the different slats makes it a good deal lighter and cheaper than a lot of others. only downside is you have to be careful to not push records out the back between the slats but if the shelf's against a wall that's not really a huge deal

i suppose the turntable and receiver will be a challenge though, hm. wonder if you could get some kind of shelf to go on top of this one to let you stack them. if your record collection's big enough, you could get two of these and put them next to each other for not much more money than the shelf you linked :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 23, 2021

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i got this extravagant version of thundercats album today. it's on 45rpm 10 inch discs which is interesting

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It never occurred to me that I could get a taller thing for my stereo and it would take up the same foot print as what I have now but also hold a good amount of records. That would solve my overflowing storage problem.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

some Dwyer projects for you fellow psych heads.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pram posted:

i got this extravagant version of thundercats album today. it's on 45rpm 10 inch discs which is interesting

I think that might be the only version out there. Awesome album but makes it kind of a pain to listen to IMO

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

JAMOOOL posted:

all my P-Model/Susumu Hirasawa stuff has finally come in, gonna be a fun weekend

I'm tempted to get big body and self titled but $37 each plus shipping is a little more than I want them.

But thanks for reminding me this happened - big body is my friends favorite album and years ago he was wishing it was on vinyl so I let him know.

P-Model is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj13Y_H6lDo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Enos Cabell posted:

I think that might be the only version out there. Awesome album but makes it kind of a pain to listen to IMO

yeah for sure, each side only has like 2 or 3 songs on it lol. also the box is a weird bulky shape

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Enos Cabell posted:

I think that might be the only version out there.

It sure is. :saddowns: Shame, too. I would listen to it much more often if it wasn't such a hassle, haha.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I just acquired a crate of records from a DJ's working collection and just pulling them semi-randomly from their sleeves they all really look in great condition. But they're all dance remixes of stuff from the 80s-90s or so, real dance club stuff, mostly with pretty horny song titles, and a whole lot of them appear to be DJ remixes that say "DJs Only Regular People Stay Out" on the back and have several versions of each song and so forth. I've got a feeling these are really cool under the right conditions, anybody know about stuff like this?

On a different note, I worked for years as a roving technician, driving around North Carolina to different small towns and I always tried to search out old junk and thrift stores, mostly for records. Among other things I've always kept my eyes out for oddities and rare beauties such as:

My collection was originally founded as a library to get samples or loops from but I haven't really mined it for stuff like that too much yet.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I just acquired a crate of records from a DJ's working collection and just pulling them semi-randomly from their sleeves they all really look in great condition. But they're all dance remixes of stuff from the 80s-90s or so, real dance club stuff, mostly with pretty horny song titles, and a whole lot of them appear to be DJ remixes that say "DJs Only Regular People Stay Out" on the back and have several versions of each song and so forth. I've got a feeling these are really cool under the right conditions, anybody know about stuff like this?
You seem to have the basics down.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

poo poo I almost bought this one at a thrift store a while back but decided not to because I didn't really want a classical album and it may have been scratched anyways. Sometimes I err too much on the side of practicality.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Walrus posted:

i was lucky enough to get into vinyl just in time to get retail versions of revolver and rubber soul in mono before they went out of stock/press. only ones I'd REALLY love now are White, Pepper, and Tour, but I'd be looking at like 500 bucks for all three for gently caress sake.

I found a copy of Tour in beautiful shape at a thrift the other day, now I'm wondering if it's worth something. I don't know where the hell it's at RN but I took quick photos of the entire booklet and front and back. I'm seeing no indication this is a stereo record.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

poo poo I almost bought this one at a thrift store a while back but decided not to because I didn't really want a classical album and it may have been scratched anyways. Sometimes I err too much on the side of practicality.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite covers. The album is great too, I ripped it before framing it.

Here's my imgur page, mostly cover art. I'm framing some records just because I love the art.

https://opticalchiasm.imgur.com/all#1

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Anyway, these DJ records are kinda cool looking, I pulled 4 of them and the only one I recognized was Planet Rock. :-) They all notate the BPM on the cover.

ED: And I guess all this chatter about Beatles mono albums is about reissues, not originals, sorry!

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 24, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This sleeve owns.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

Yeah, it's one of my favorite covers. The album is great too, I ripped it before framing it.

Here's my imgur page, mostly cover art. I'm framing some records just because I love the art.

The closest thing I have to framed records is a 12 inch promo poster for Brian May's Another World and one for the Rocket Man movie. Both of which are buried atm because we took everything off the walls to repaint them and I still haven't decided what should go back up where.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

The closest thing I have to framed records is a 12 inch promo poster for Brian May's Another World and one for the Rocket Man movie. Both of which are buried atm because we took everything off the walls to repaint them and I still haven't decided what should go back up where.

Yeah, I think album art has more emotional significance to me than most people, obviously, but music was sort of my religion growing up so these are sacraments, sort of. We also cleaned all our pot using double albums back in the 80s pretty universally.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've always loved this cover, which is from records I inherited from my grandparents.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

On a different note, I worked for years as a roving technician, driving around North Carolina to different small towns and I always tried to search out old junk and thrift stores, mostly for records. Among other things I've always kept my eyes out for oddities and rare beauties such as:

My collection was originally founded as a library to get samples or loops from but I haven't really mined it for stuff like that too much yet.

These are all awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JordanKai posted:

This sleeve owns.

I'm really glad you like it. Imma be photographing stuff to sell today and I'll try to find some nice ones for you, put them up here later.

wa27 posted:

These are all awesome

:same:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 24, 2021