Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Orangutans are usually the only primate found in Libraries.

Actually, much to the orangutan’s continued frustration, humans are sadly also often found in libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The librarians are easily dealt with two fully pumped crossbow shots. It made that section a lot better than trying to stealth through it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mystery of the punishment-worthy sin that the silent hill protag comitted has been solved

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1525050644712853505?t=yatPlUhQCfGki1cqDj93zw&s=19

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hate to see those titty nurses the same way I hate to see Bethesda rehash the iconography in Fallout in every time.

They were an element that made sense in their debut, as they were a reflection of the protagonists psyche. Now they're just a recurring face stripped of context used for name recognition.

The twist of this British Silent Hill is that the protagonist releases they're not in a nightmarish hellhole because they voted Brexit, they just live Swindon and its normally that bad.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

I hate to see those titty nurses the same way I hate to see Bethesda rehash the iconography in Fallout in every time.

They were an element that made sense in their debut, as they were a reflection of the protagonists psyche. Now they're just a recurring face stripped of context used for name recognition.

Alternatively: every Silent Hill protagonist is just HELLA horny. :colbert: :wiggle:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The twist of this British Silent Hill is that the protagonist releases they're not in a nightmarish hellhole because they voted Brexit, they just live Swindon and its normally that bad.

It's also weird for these modern protagonists who are like 23 years old to be lusting after uniforms that haven't been used since they were born. Nurses just wear scrubs now basically everywhere.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, that's just a screenshot from Homecoming in the VGC article. :v:

sad question
May 30, 2020

Silent Hill set in Britain has a lot of potential:

- Terrifying monsters based on English cuisine
- That mace they have in parliament as a weapon
- Gammon monsters that angrily follow you into the bathroom to make sure you are the right gender
- Silent Hill desperately attempting to repel British expats that keep trying to buy property there

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stargazy pie looks like a SH monster tbh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bogart posted:

Also, that's just a screenshot from Homecoming in the VGC article. :v:

yeah it looks like they just lazily grabbed a picture of Big Titty Nurse to use for clickbait. Extremely cool website.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The bloober team project that was in the works then cancelled by Disney was an Alien game set in the middle ages

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/bloober-team-was-working-on-an-alien-game-set-in-middle-ages-what/z043fc

If anything I wish it wasn't cancelled and it looks like it could work, and not fall victim to the terrible writing traps that plagued some of their other games

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The bloober team project that was in the works then cancelled by Disney was an Alien game set in the middle ages

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/bloober-team-was-working-on-an-alien-game-set-in-middle-ages-what/z043fc

Lol, I'd kinda rather try that than any existing Bloober game :rip:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Alien: Isolation From God sounds kind of great, and despite the Bloober pedigree I would definitely have tried it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Read After Burning posted:

Alternatively: every Silent Hill protagonist is just HELLA horny. :colbert: :wiggle:

but why they horny in the same way tho, can we get a different set of sexual repression representation

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
james is sexually frustrated and because of his Circumstances associates the feminine form with death and disease. he's got issues

heather is a teenage girl

henry is a department store mannequin that somehow wandered off its podium and got employed as a stock clerk. whatever's between his legs is as smooth and frictionless as whatever's between his ears

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The nurses are only in like five games - two of them are the American ones so they're just creatively bankrupt and re-using poo poo from SH2, and in 1 they looked like this

The only other game that has nurses and it doesn't make sense for the boob focus is 3 and there they're less sexualized in-game than their concept art suggests

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Artelier posted:

but why they horny in the same way tho, can we get a different set of sexual repression representation

Fair point, I'm with ya. :sueme:

Blockhouse posted:

The nurses are only in like five games - two of them are the American ones so they're just creatively bankrupt and re-using poo poo from SH2, and in 1 they looked like this

I forgot how much more unsettling the SH1 nurses were. :stare:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My favourite creative bankrupt decision the American devs did was homecoming where the abusive father character was basically Terry o Quinn from Lost

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
SH2 monsters are horny because James is frustrated and horny and the monsters reflect his frustration. SH3 monsters are horny because they are the manifestation of an entire cult's unwanted sexual advances aimed at Heather.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's also weird for these modern protagonists who are like 23 years old to be lusting after uniforms that haven't been used since they were born. Nurses just wear scrubs now basically everywhere.

Yeah but when nurses are fantadtized about they're not in scrubs. It's those pinup nurse uniforms/costumes with the hat.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Silent Hill 4 monsters are horny because Walter was mutilated by his apartment-mom and is sexually emasculated as a result (see my posts on the wiki). Silent Hill Homecoming monsters are horny because it's hard to find a place to jerk off in peace in the army/asylum (oh my god he was a mental health patient not a real soldier.....)...

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
SH3's development was a bit of a hot mess, the hospital and the town portion copy pasted directly from 2 is the most obvious sign of it in the game. Konami mandated it be a sequel to 1 and have a return to silenthill proper halfway through development time.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
does a non-human player avatar enhance or detract from a surreal / bizarre horror type experience

like if your character is a moai or a giant fungus obviously that would detract from a gritty, down to earth zombie violence simulator, but

for something like a Yume Nikki that's more about weirding you out or keeping you bothered, would having a silent but visually absurd in-game representation draw you in more or would it take you out compared to a more grounded "character"

I'm thinking about building something weird

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Read After Burning posted:

https://twitter.com/AnEternalEnigma/status/1525283839681212416

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For the western games, Murphy wasn't overly horny. Just boring, which is represented by the bad monster design of Downpour. Also if the monsters are horny in Shattered Memories, that's on the player. The nurses in SH3 also had a very different design from the SH2 nurses, not sure why people are misremembering them as horny. They look more like porcelain dolls with Parkinson's disease in 3 than anything.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Artelier posted:

Agreed. Konami, the people have spoken: give these nurses some back.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

Thinking of that flash silent hill game where the gimmick is internalized homophobia

that was a lot, yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

The nurses are only in like five games

So almost all of them, got it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You know there’s an edit button, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bogart posted:

You know there’s an edit button, right?

For cowards there is

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Improbable Lobster posted:

For cowards there is

:hmmyes:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Never be afraid to :justpost:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They look like posts to you?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For the western games, Murphy wasn't overly horny. Just boring, which is represented by the bad monster design of Downpour. Also if the monsters are horny in Shattered Memories, that's on the player. The nurses in SH3 also had a very different design from the SH2 nurses, not sure why people are misremembering them as horny. They look more like porcelain dolls with Parkinson's disease in 3 than anything.

Murphy was horny but he had sex dolls with JoJo stands instead of nurses. He was also just a side character in someone else’s actual Silent Hill game - I bet the police lady shot plenty of sexy nurse monsters.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Improbable Lobster posted:

So almost all of them, got it

I mean the rest of the post was "and even in those five games they're not presented the same except for the US ones which are bad"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

I mean the rest of the post was "and even in those five games they're not presented the same except for the US ones which are bad"

Again, that's more than half of em

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i'm really disappointed that remedy seems to have used control as just a jumping-off point for more alan wake :sigh:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love that they decided "gently caress it, give the nurses a gun"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SH3 Nurses are the scariest cuz they'll just loving shoot you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

moonmazed posted:

i'm really disappointed that remedy seems to have used control as just a jumping-off point for more alan wake :sigh:

Definitely not saying this isn't valid, mind elaborating? In Control I couldn't help but think if it would have just veered off a cliff into horror how loving great it would have been.

I liked Control, but not as much as I could have.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 14, 2022