Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

heeebrew posted:

well guys i trained, got covid and gave it to my GF. She ended up with a 5 day hospital stay with covid pneumonia. It's been almost a month and she still has a cough and feels weak. Not worth it. Also, we thought she was gonna die. Scary poo poo.

btw :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

heeebrew posted:

well guys i trained, got covid and gave it to my GF. She ended up with a 5 day hospital stay with covid pneumonia. It's been almost a month and she still has a cough and feels weak. Not worth it. Also, we thought she was gonna die. Scary poo poo.

That's a suckful situation. A cautionary tale.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

heeebrew posted:

That really sucks dude.

I have been training, but I'm lucky enough to be in an area that's gotten off very likely (partly because of pre-emptive lockdowns) and have been back at training for about a month now. Government sanctioned, and this government hasn't been shy about shutting poo poo down. Our school has been using "bubbles", so that if someone tests positive only their classmates will need to quarantine instead of the entire school.

On the mats I've been feel a tad fragile and like I forget everything, so of course this happened:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Count Roland posted:

On the mats I've been feel a tad fragile and like I forget everything, so of course this happened:

Sweet as gently caress :mummyface:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

That really sucks dude.

I have been training, but I'm lucky enough to be in an area that's gotten off very likely (partly because of pre-emptive lockdowns) and have been back at training for about a month now. Government sanctioned, and this government hasn't been shy about shutting poo poo down. Our school has been using "bubbles", so that if someone tests positive only their classmates will need to quarantine instead of the entire school.

rad

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Count Roland posted:

That really sucks dude.

congrats!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats!

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Congrats to Count Roland!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm not gonna go back until I'm vaccinated. Classes are running but I'm just... not willing to take those risks or put others through that kind of risk. I'm trying to stay in shape/improve my fitness with kettlebells and stuff and hopefully in loving June 2022 or whenever it is I can go back, I'll at least be fit.

Yep. This. I'm actually in better shape now then mid-March 2020 when I stopped training BJJ. I miss it and most of the gym is training without me, but I don't want to be the guy that gave someone the rona.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Congrats! Purple has been a fun belt, aside from, ya know.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats Roland! :mummyface:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Thanks for sharing. You should post this on the bjj reddit if you’re on there because that’s the crowd that needs to hear it the most

They wont listen/care and will blame it on other stuff.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Congrats Count Roland, sry to hear that heeebrew + good luck, and I thought this Mittens Bernie needed to be shared here:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Count Roland posted:

That really sucks dude.

Congrats!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:mummyface::mummyface::mummyface:

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Congrats Roland and heeebrew hope your GF recovers quickly.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

heeebrew posted:

I'm so sorry dude. Covid is awful. We haven't been to the gym since beginning of March last year but we want to so bad, so I understand your desire to get back.

We ended up catching it anyways a couple weeks ago (probably just from still having to work in person because we never go anywhere or see anyone) and I ended up in the ER yesterday because of it. I'm 30, in pretty good shape with no underlying conditions and still ended up in the hospital. Luckily they sent me home when I responded well to whatever drugs they had there but now I have to get brain scans and more tests done to look for potential life threatening complications from this stupid disease.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

L0cke17 posted:

I'm so sorry dude. Covid is awful. We haven't been to the gym since beginning of March last year but we want to so bad, so I understand your desire to get back.

We ended up catching it anyways a couple weeks ago (probably just from still having to work in person because we never go anywhere or see anyone) and I ended up in the ER yesterday because of it. I'm 30, in pretty good shape with no underlying conditions and still ended up in the hospital. Luckily they sent me home when I responded well to whatever drugs they had there but now I have to get brain scans and more tests done to look for potential life threatening complications from this stupid disease.

:smith: sorry to hear it man, I hope things turn out well for you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

L0cke17 posted:

also :glomp:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

butros posted:

:smith: sorry to hear it man, I hope things turn out well for you.

Thanks guys. It's been fun for sure. Real 10/10 experience so far. I just love everything about this stupid disease. Worst/best thing is that it appears my symptoms are just post-covid issues that may or may not clear up in 5-12 weeks on their own or may be permanent. Noone loving knows anything and I just get a pill bottle to take if symptoms come back too hard and I have to wait for an MRI to be available in my area to rule out permanent brain damage

E: oh, and my insurance company doesn't want to pay for an MRI because my old primary care doctor quit and I haven't gotten an in-person visit with any doctors since the pandemic and apparently without an in-person physical a doctor can't order an MRI without the insurance company flipping out.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's hosed up that some people have zero symptoms or so mild while others have poo poo like this. With no apparent reason.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is it safe to go back to class once you have the vaccine? I have been told that it’s not that simple, but it’s gonna be hard for me to resist after I get that sweet sweet rna

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

That really sucks dude.

Well done!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

Is it safe to go back to class once you have the vaccine? I have been told that it’s not that simple, but it’s gonna be hard for me to resist after I get that sweet sweet rna

I think they're saying you can still transmit the disease even if you've been vaccinated, so it might be safe for you but not for anyone else around you.

I'm in a pretty low risk group so I think by the time I can even get the vaccine we'll be close enough to herd immunity, though.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah I won’t be getting it for months, but was planning on returning to class once I do

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think they're saying you can still transmit the disease even if you've been vaccinated, so it might be safe for you but not for anyone else around you.

I'm in a pretty low risk group so I think by the time I can even get the vaccine we'll be close enough to herd immunity, though.

They're saying that they can't rule out transmission, if we want to get :actually: about it. The bottom line is that they're asking people to continue to wear masks if they're vaccinated.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

The only thing the vaccines have been demonstrated to do is prevent symptoms. Because of how most viruses work, suppressing symptoms likely reduces the rate of transmission as well. But since covid infamously is able to spread asymptomatically, I personally doubt it would offer perfect protection vs transmission. Just another bit we're waiting for more studies on.

Personally I'd be willing to take more risks after being vaccinated, or if people I was in close contact with were vaccinated. As we've seen in this thread though, the virus will skip many people while striking down others. I think its pretty hard to call BJJ "safe" at this point if the virus is active where you are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

The only thing the vaccines have been demonstrated to do is prevent symptoms. Because of how most viruses work, suppressing symptoms likely reduces the rate of transmission as well. But since covid infamously is able to spread asymptomatically, I personally doubt it would offer perfect protection vs transmission. Just another bit we're waiting for more studies on.

Personally I'd be willing to take more risks after being vaccinated, or if people I was in close contact with were vaccinated. As we've seen in this thread though, the virus will skip many people while striking down others. I think its pretty hard to call BJJ "safe" at this point if the virus is active where you are.

Yeah that's why my criteria is vaccine AND no local cases.

Though my SO got her second dose yesterday :unsmith:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I basically don't encounter anyone besides my wife, so I'll go back when I'm vaccinated and she is too.

Except she's.... moderately antivax so probably she won't get it and I'll have to wait like a full extra year for it to not even be a thing at all.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It never occured to me that antivaxers would still be antivaxers during a pandemic. I assumed it was one of those fair weather things.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

I asked my doctor this explicitly (though the context was Im theoretically immune for at least 3-8 months now) and was told emphatically that I should remain social distancing and avoiding people until community spread is reduced or eliminated because there's too many unknowns about reinfections and transmission while "immune".

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It never occured to me that antivaxers would still be antivaxers during a pandemic. I assumed it was one of those fair weather things.

She's not like, all the way antivax. She just doesn't trust these because they are mRNA vaccines which is a new thing. She said she wants to wait until there's a "traditional" vaccine available. I guess. Whatever. We're both in the low risk group and the country we live in is only planning to get 60% vaccination through the end of 2021. So, like, neither of us would be able to get one anyways.

I did know one person who was super antivax and spread antivax messaging to her daughter and then wanted to take a vacation to Peru, which requires a Yellow Fever vaccine, and the daughter refused to get one because of the antivax messaging from the mom (who was willing to get one if it meant a vacation). So that made me lol.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pron on VHS posted:

- you can still catch it and transmit
- 19/20 efficacy after 2nd shot, only 6/20 after just first
- they haven't had time to measure how long vaccine stays effective for

It's more about the whole community being vaccinated than just you, which should hopefully just be a few weeks longer. I can't wait to get back, I miss it so much

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've set my own loose criteria of a vaccination, plus a statewide positive test rate of <1% and <100 daily new cases. I don't need to refine it more than that now because we're closer to 10k new daily cases and it's going to be a few months before I can even say that this week wasn't as bad as last week. I'm hopeful that I can return some time this summer, and I really hope but don't expect that the university clubs will resume in the fall. I imagine when I do return it will be to work with a small group of consistent partners and who knows when I'll compete or go to open mats again.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Hmm... I don't want to give too many details but I'm here in LA - coronaville basically. We did temp checks and a weekly symptom survey. Unlimited class size but rarely over 15 people. I think almost 10 people got confirmed corona and I'm sure a few others did as well but didn't want to get tested or tell anyone. There's a weird shame about telling people you got covid. My GF is sooooo mad still. Not sure when I'll train again but I am itching to get back to the mats.

I'm glad you guys appreciate me sharing, as I was worried I would be berated. I know it's not cool to be training during the pandemic but felt that me and my GF are both 32 and covid wouldn't be too much of a hinderance if and when we got it. Boy I was wrong about that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my corner of Korea we have mostly been able to train with zero cases. A tournament organizer in Busan has been running 4 man tourneys at their gym which is very :ugh: tho

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Train Away From Busan

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Hmm... I don't want to give too many details but I'm here in LA - coronaville basically. We did temp checks and a weekly symptom survey. Unlimited class size but rarely over 15 people. I think almost 10 people got confirmed corona and I'm sure a few others did as well but didn't want to get tested or tell anyone. There's a weird shame about telling people you got covid. My GF is sooooo mad still. Not sure when I'll train again but I am itching to get back to the mats.

I'm glad you guys appreciate me sharing, as I was worried I would be berated. I know it's not cool to be training during the pandemic but felt that me and my GF are both 32 and covid wouldn't be too much of a hinderance if and when we got it. Boy I was wrong about that.

I struggled with this myself. I understood that getting on the mats there was some risk that I was going to take to me and my family by me training (and my kids too). I was already limiting my exposure to people. And those are people I wasnt going to visit anyway. My training partners? They also know the risks. My daughters had caught it, and recovered so I figured that they were ok to hop back on too as long as they were doing the right precautions, and honestly they asked me if they could go back.

Hope Im not stepping on toes by asking this but: is she sure she caught it from you being on the mat? There was a whole period where my gym was shut down for a couple months and I caught it at the rear end end of the shutdown. I could have caught it from anywhere and honestly the grocery store is probably more infected than the gym. Its very likely I got it from there since I was there all the time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Train Away From Busan

Last Training to Busan

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

heeebrew posted:

Its not cool to shame people for having a disease. Remember how we used to treat lepers? Or people (especially gay) who are HIV positive?

Its a pandemic. Pan, meaning universal, all-encompassing, applying to everyone. The nature of the virus means that we're likely all going to be directly exposed to it sooner rather than later. Lets take measures to stop the virus instead of shaming those who inevitably catch it.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

heeebrew posted:

It's not like the rest of us aren't thinking about it. "Maybe it would be ok..." At least once per week, I have a dream where I'm back on the mats. I'll be in the middle of rolling and then remember "Oh poo poo, the pandemic! Was this a mistake? Am I going to be infected? Well, I've already been exposed to the people here today, I might as well finish out this session and then decide if I'm coming back." It's such a bummer. Thinky brain has managed to win so far and say that it's not the right thing to do, but there's definitely an opposing voice regularly shouting "BUT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT!" Even before the pandemic it was easy to identify people more committed to BJJ than myself, so it's not hard to understand why they can't resist the pull to the mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

FreakyMetalKid posted:

It's not like the rest of us aren't thinking about it. "Maybe it would be ok..." At least once per week, I have a dream where I'm back on the mats. I'll be in the middle of rolling and then remember "Oh poo poo, the pandemic! Was this a mistake? Am I going to be infected? Well, I've already been exposed to the people here today, I might as well finish out this session and then decide if I'm coming back." It's such a bummer. Thinky brain has managed to win so far and say that it's not the right thing to do, but there's definitely an opposing voice regularly shouting "BUT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT!" Even before the pandemic it was easy to identify people more committed to BJJ than myself, so it's not hard to understand why they can't resist the pull to the mats.

My second thought when I lost my sense of smell was "If this is roni I can train again as soon as I'm not contagious!" But doctors told me that is a dumb and bad plan, and I'm still sick as poo poo 3 weeks on so that's fun. I look forward to maybe training in October now.