Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wow that's amazing. Like why is it so bothersome to you that someone else parks in front of your house?!
Aside from possessiveness, a lot of people have weird ideas about how often other people should exist near their house(never). It's the same impulse that makes them raise hell if too many cars drive down their neighborhood.

E: Content.

quote:

Parents want to take out a half a million dollar mortgage in my name. Credit freeze a good idea? (self.personalfinance)

Hey guys. My parents helped me get through college by paying for my rent for the last 4 years. Now that I'm through college and I've got a job, I'm trying to establish my credit.
While home for Thanksgiving, my parents brought up that they want to take out a $450,000 mortgage in my name to buy an apartment complex and earn income from rent. They say it'll be good for my credit. This sounds like a bad idea to me, but I'm sure I'm missing all the reasons why it's a bad idea. I told them I didn't like it, but I still feel uneasy.
So I looked up "credit freeze", and it looks like this'll stop the possibility of anyone with my information (like my parents) getting a loan without my confirming it first. Is this a valid solution for me?

Why do they want the loan in OP's name, you ask?

quote:

They want me to take out the mortgage because I have an income now, from my new job. They said they wouldn't be approved for it since neither of my parents have steady incomes.

Yeah, I dunno about that loan amount either, since they live in San Diego and it's expensive as hell there too!
At least OP is bright enough to shy away from this, but drat.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrKatharsis posted:

I had a neighbor like that once. They put up a sign that said "you take-a my space, I break-a your face." They had a hideous new 600k square house on a 400k bungalow street and two European cars.

I parked in "their" spot as often as I could. Seattle property owners go gently caress yourselves.

my mom had a friend with an alcoholic husband, who decided to slash the tires of someone who parked in front of their house. not sure if he got in trouble or not but lmao at protecting your lovely federal way suburb house.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Haifisch posted:

It's the same impulse that makes them raise hell if too many cars drive down their neighborhood.

I'm like this, but only because it's a residential street and people speed down it to cut through to the highway. It's maddening because people go 45-50mph during rush hour on a 25mph back street.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Go get some cement at Home Depot and make your own speed bumps in the middle of the night, problem solved.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

hanales posted:

I'm like this, but only because it's a residential street and people speed down it to cut through to the highway. It's maddening because people go 45-50mph during rush hour on a 25mph back street.

I live on a cul-de-sac and people still blast up and down in like crazy people.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That's not surprising since most American streets are designed to make you wanna go fast. "It's shocking to me that people go excessively fast on this very very wide road the city built!" said no urban designer ever.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

GWM: Costco sells 24 Hour Fitness memberships. One year is $399 ($33 a month) and two years is $649 ($27). Good value if it fits your schedule and location.
All GWM for 24 Hour Fitness since they know there's going to be a ton of people who buy it on a whim and barely go.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Cicero posted:

That's not surprising since most American streets are designed to make you wanna go fast. "It's shocking to me that people go excessively fast on this very very wide road the city built!" said no urban designer ever.

It's because of bullshit Waze that redirects people through smaller neighborhood roads in order to shave 45 seconds off of their commute. It's time that ultimately becomes lost anyway once the route says to turn left at an unprotected intersection in the middle of rush hour traffic.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Cicero posted:

This is a two lane road. I now park a car on the street that forces everyone to slow down in front of my house. Yes, I'm that guy.

Teeter posted:

It's because of bullshit Waze that redirects people through smaller neighborhood roads in order to shave 45 seconds off of their commute. It's time that ultimately becomes lost anyway once the route says to turn left at an unprotected intersection in the middle of rush hour traffic.

There's no question this way saves some people time, so I don't fault them that, the problem is the speeding. It's not long enough of a road that speeding can make up any significant amounts of time (we're talking 3/4 of a mile between stop signs).

When I pull out in front of speeders I tend to go 10-15 mph below the speed limit just so I can see them screaming at their lattes in my rear view mirror. :devil:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
:same:
I don't care that the cars are there, only that they're going too fast.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5fn0vm/texas_what_can_i_do_employer_fired_me_a_month/

quote:

(Texas) What can I do? Employer fired me a month before Christmas over something they did incorrectly. Should I contact corporate to ask for lost pay, or a lawyer? (self.legaladvice)
submitted 19 hours ago * by Easycumup
I know, it sounds crazy to say that I want to contact the company, but I feel as if I have been done wrong and have a good case. I'd rather give them a chance to make it right before I get tied up in a legal battle I can't afford.
Long story short, I submitted a 'Family/Medical Leave of Absence' form to visit my mom during a trying time in her life. On the FMLA form there are questions to the effect of 'Can you provide medical papers for the situation' and 'Can a medical professional fill out a form proving reason'. On both of those questions I checked the boxes NO. My immediate boss and store manager approved the leave knowing I couldn't provide the papers.
I get back after the days off and the assistant store manager who knew nothing of the situation, suspended me for 5 days for "unexcused absences" . After I pleaded with him he completely misled me about the suspension terms, and I left with a hopeful attitude.
I return after my suspension and speak with the same Assistant Store Manager about starting back to work to be told I no longer have a job.
I'm both heart broken (in a sense) and feel like I have been done unjustly by a company I had planned on working up the ranks with for at least the next two years.
I'm hurt, and a wee bit lost right now.
What I would like to do is contact the main corporate office and plead my case, and ask them for a couple months pay to get me through the hollidays until I can find another job.
I was making between 500-800 a week and was on track to make 30+K this year.
Can anyone help guide me on the correct path? I have pictures of the papers I filled out for the FMLA. And a copy of the suspension paperwork stating "unexcused absences" as the reason.
Edit: I'm a fool for following my boss and what he told me to do.
I understand I have no legal recourse in this situation.
I should have done my own research.
I'm sorry for posting here with such a 'shoot for the stars' kinda question.
And
I feel as if some of you guys and gals are a bit too dickish in your responses, but you made me understand. So for that, thank you.
What was the "trying time in [mom's] life"? It was because he was worried Obama "wouldn't step down as president" following the election results.
What was he going to do? Fill sandbags? Write facebook posts for his mom?

https://np.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fj11g/my_exwife_is_opening_credit_cards_in_my_name/

quote:

CreditMy ex-wife is opening credit cards in my name. (self.personalfinance)
submitted 1 day ago by exhasmycredit
My ex and I have been divorced for almost three years and we share custody of our 5 year old daughter. When I bought a house back in February, I took a look at all of my credit reports and everything looked fine. Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail from a collection company giving me 30 days to pay a charged off balance of just a shade over $5,000 for a Capital One card.
I’ve never had a Capital One card, just one with Citi with a $10,000 limit, which I pay off completely every month. Thinking this has to be some sort of weird mistake, I called the collection agency and it wasn’t a mistake, my name is on the account. Then I asked what address they had for me and she read off my ex’s address. Nobody else’s name on the account and it was charged off back in October.
Immediately I called my ex and asked what was going on. She got pissed at me because she said my child support payments (what the court determined I was responsible for + I pay her health insurance, medical care, etc.) weren’t enough because Jon (her current boyfriend) lost his job and that I needed to pay more. The guy lost his job in July and these accounts were opened well before that. She tells me I need to pay her more in child support and she’ll stop using the credit cards. I told her a collection company sent me a letter for over $5,000 and she said “Well that can be your first payment”.
I’ve been stewing on this all night, obviously she has more than one card in my name. She also has primary custody of our daughter, but I can’t let her ruin my perfect credit. My income is pretty good and expenses are pretty low but I’m just stunned at this point, how do I get out of this problem?

Bad With Money: Commit credit card fraud because you feel like your ex-husband's court ordered child support payments are insufficient to also cover the living expenses of your unemployed boyfriend.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

canyoneer posted:

:same:
I don't care that the cars are there, only that they're going too fast.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5fn0vm/texas_what_can_i_do_employer_fired_me_a_month/

What was the "trying time in [mom's] life"? It was because he was worried Obama "wouldn't step down as president" following the election results.
What was he going to do? Fill sandbags? Write facebook posts for his mom?

https://np.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fj11g/my_exwife_is_opening_credit_cards_in_my_name/

Bad With Money: Commit credit card fraud because you feel like your ex-husband's court ordered child support payments are insufficient to also cover the living expenses of your unemployed boyfriend.

Yeah so that's grand theft and forgery right there, felonies.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Not BWM, but still funny:

quote:

Open a Bank Account for Pizza? (self.personalfinance)

I live in Orlando and there's a bank that offers free pizza from an extremely specialty store x1 p/m if I open a free checking account and deposit a minimum of $1,000 p/m into the account. The bank seems legit (member FDIC, equal housing lender, all the bank things).

I've used the same bank for 17 yrs and while they have decent locations around town, they're not handing me free gourmet pizza's every month for a year. What should I be weary of? Any down sides besides the calories?

quote:

The gotcha is that they will likely send you a 1099-Int for the value of the pizzas that you will need to file with your taxes. So really you'll be paying your marginal tax rate on those pizzas.

Bad With Money - You'll be paying your marginal tax rate on those pizzas

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hanales posted:

When I pull out in front of speeders I tend to go 10-15 mph below the speed limit just so I can see them screaming at their lattes in my rear view mirror. :devil:

I'm with you on parking in front of your house, kind of. But this is pants on head retarded behavior that will end in a road rage incident.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

I'm sort of interested in this bank, hot drat sounds like a good deal.

e: nevermind. Mellow Mushroom has a pretty decent beer selection but only moderately OK pizza. it's also expensive for how mediocre it is.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-green-bank-partners-mellow-130100103.html

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 1, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FormatAmerica posted:

I'm sort of interested in this bank, hot drat sounds like a good deal.

Sounds like a good... delicious... cheesy... hot deal... Maybe I am just hungry.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Never do your banking when you're hungry.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Haifisch posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed when this doesn't become the new title.

Switching banks for signup bonuses (real dough, not pizza) is pretty GWM. Unless you mess up and forget to switch automatic bill payments and get hit with late fees, then it is less GWM.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wow that's amazing. Like why is it so bothersome to you that someone else parks in front of your house?!

Neighborchat:

When I walk my dog around my house, one particular neighbor sits out on his porch all day to yell at everyone who has a dog. If you hesitate for a moment on his property, or any property near his, he will yell at you until you are outhe of earshot. One time my dog peed in his yard and he followed me around the block yelling at me. Naturally I have taken to collecting my dogs poop on my late night walks and dumping it on his yard.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

Neighborchat:

When I walk my dog around my house, one particular neighbor sits out on his porch all day to yell at everyone who has a dog. If you hesitate for a moment on his property, or any property near his, he will yell at you until you are outhe of earshot. One time my dog peed in his yard and he followed me around the block yelling at me. Naturally I have taken to collecting my dogs poop on my late night walks and dumping it on his yard.

The tenant down the hall from me was unemployed for a while and him and his two cats would find all sorts of ridiculous poo poo to rage about to externalize his own self-hatred. Once I parked crooked (but still within the lines) next to his car for all of 30 minutes and came back out to find he left a super angry note about THE loving IDIOT WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO loving PARK HOW ABOUT NEXT TIME I GIVE YOU A NICE DENT FUCKER.

Neighbors with issues are the best.

e: also he printed it out rather than hand-writing it, so presumably in 30 minutes in the middle of the day when I ran home during my lunch break he came out, raged at seeing my car slightly askew, ran up to his apartment, hastily typed out this giant angry rant, printed it, ran back down and left it on my car

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 1, 2016

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

What kinds of notes did the cats leave

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

baquerd posted:

I'm with you on parking in front of your house, kind of. But this is pants on head retarded behavior that will end in a road rage incident.

Nah. There is a highway exit here where it goes from 65mph to a 40mph city street pretty quickly. I always slow down to 40mph, and I have twice had someone behind me veer into the left lane to pass me and.... hit a car there that is going 40mph in their blind spot.

This is the view from cars coming in at 40mph. The right lane is coming in at 65mph and slowing down. You have to change lanes from the 65mph merging lane at least one over to the left to continue downtown, the rightmost lane ends in a u-turn soon. I come in from the right lane, change lanes to the middle lane, and slow down to 40mph, and the angry people come up behind me and run into people in the left lane because they are too busy yelling at me in front of them to check for someone in the leftmost lane which they are changing into.

That feel when I look in the rear view at them both pulling over to exchange insurance info.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 1, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

A friend told me about his cousin, a chiropractor. When the guy was growing his practice, one of his clients asked him to do an adjustment on his horse. A polo horse.
He agreed to, looked up some horse anatomy online, and did a horse chiropractic adjustment that he was making up as he went along (kinda like chiropractors for people, but whatever)

Dude had the best polo game of his life, and told all his friends at the polo club. Now he sets aside a morning every month to go be a horse chiropractor at the polo club, and makes many hundreds of dollars for every 8 minute "adjustment" he does.

Smart man.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

canyoneer posted:

A friend told me about his cousin, a chiropractor. When the guy was growing his practice, one of his clients asked him to do an adjustment on his horse. A polo horse.
He agreed to, looked up some horse anatomy online, and did a horse chiropractic adjustment that he was making up as he went along (kinda like chiropractors for people, but whatever)

Dude had the best polo game of his life, and told all his friends at the polo club. Now he sets aside a morning every month to go be a horse chiropractor at the polo club, and makes many hundreds of dollars for every 8 minute "adjustment" he does.

Smart man.

I can't even be mad at this. Guy is a genius.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OK I've got a BWM story for the thread, or maybe this is just a human brains are bad with getting old story.

A few months ago I get messages from my mom and sister: "how could you hit up grandma for thousands of dollars, what are you doing in Chicago, why are you in jail", etc. Whaaaaaaat I'm totally confused because I'm an expat working in SE Asia right now, my entire extended family knows this, that's why I Skyped with them for Thanksgiving last year. So either (1) they are loving with me or (2) something went wrong somewhere. Turns out they were loving with me, but something did almost go very wrong. My mom explained once I had sufficiently freaked out.

Mommy VitalSigns posted:

Just got a call from Grandma & her neighbor.

She got a call this am from some public defender in Chicago saying that "her grandson" was picked up for intoxication. "VitalSigns?" she asked. "Yes, VitalSigns" he replied and told her you were there for the funeral of a best friend and now you're in jail and you need $2,300 to bail you out. It then sounded like 'you' were put on the phone to her and told Grandma that you would pay her as soon as you get out. Grandma then said to call Dad or call your sister's family, but 'you' said no you did not want us to know. But the whole time you also said "Grandma I love you"

The public defender then said, well, if you send the money to the Dominican Republic right now, it will only be like $1200. So she went to the bank to get the money to send. When she got to Wal-Mart to wire the bail money they told her "hey we can't tell you not to send this money, but we see this all the time and we think it's a scam. Do you want to go home and think about it? We really think you should go home and talk this over with someone before you ask us to send it, really."

So she went home and checked with her neighbor, and he convinced her to call the police, the sheriff came over and told her "yes this is a scam" so she called us. We told her "no VitalSigns is in Asia remember" and reassured her that we would e-mail you and make sure you're not in jail but if you are then to just leave you there and let you figure it out.

So hopefully you are not in jail, if so, you can bail yourself out!!!! Lol

Poor Grandma, she is so flustered right now.
Not sure how I should feel about my name being the first grandkid in her mind when someone mentions DUI and jail.

So yeah anyway good on those Wal-Mart bank tellers for strongly suggesting that maybe a Chicago Public Defender wouldn't be asking for bail money to be wired overseas. Brains are weird, it's pretty amazing how someone with an air of authority plus fear for a loved one can short circuit our reasoning like that. Having a monkey brain evolved for avoiding predators on the savannah and handling social relations with < a dozen other monkeys: BWM.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I bet that Wal-Mart employee was properly congratulated for Doing the Right Thing and then promptly fired for breaking the rules

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

She lives in old-retired-people-ville in Florida where this scam is common so I wouldn't be surprised if the store was telling employees how to go right up to the line when warning people without actually violating the letter of the policy.

I assume Wal-Mart doesn't want the enraged families of old people coming in and yelling at them every day about how if you see this all the time why aren't you warning anyone before they wire a grand to some scammer.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

BraveUlysses posted:

my mom had a friend with an alcoholic husband, who decided to slash the tires of someone who parked in front of their house. not sure if he got in trouble or not but lmao at protecting your lovely federal way suburb house.

Hey now, that's Federal Way. The capital letters are what makes it a city.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Just to offer another side to this, before we got married, my wife lived in a townhouse. She had two parking spots assigned to her, so if a neighbor parked in one of her spots, people visiting her would have nowhere to park. Eventually she got annoyed enough with it to just park diagonal across both of her spots, only moving if she knew someone was coming over.

It gets obnoxious after a while, so I can understand someone that's had to deal with it for years or decades flipping the gently caress out over it. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I understand.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

VitalSigns posted:

OK I've got a BWM story for the thread, or maybe this is just a human brains are bad with getting old story.

A few months ago I get messages from my mom and sister: "how could you hit up grandma for thousands of dollars, what are you doing in Chicago, why are you in jail", etc. Whaaaaaaat I'm totally confused because I'm an expat working in SE Asia right now, my entire extended family knows this, that's why I Skyped with them for Thanksgiving last year. So either (1) they are loving with me or (2) something went wrong somewhere. Turns out they were loving with me, but something did almost go very wrong. My mom explained once I had sufficiently freaked out.

Not sure how I should feel about my name being the first grandkid in her mind when someone mentions DUI and jail.

So yeah anyway good on those Wal-Mart bank tellers for strongly suggesting that maybe a Chicago Public Defender wouldn't be asking for bail money to be wired overseas. Brains are weird, it's pretty amazing how someone with an air of authority plus fear for a loved one can short circuit our reasoning like that. Having a monkey brain evolved for avoiding predators on the savannah and handling social relations with < a dozen other monkeys: BWM.

My grandmother almost fell for the same scheme about me. She called my mom before going to the bank. Thanks for ratting me out, grandma!! :argh:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Ornamented Death posted:

Just to offer another side to this, before we got married, my wife lived in a townhouse. She had two parking spots assigned to her, so if a neighbor parked in one of her spots, people visiting her would have nowhere to park. Eventually she got annoyed enough with it to just park diagonal across both of her spots, only moving if she knew someone was coming over.

It gets obnoxious after a while, so I can understand someone that's had to deal with it for years or decades flipping the gently caress out over it. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I understand.

It's obviously dramatically different when the parking is assigned to you! But curb street parking unassigned seems kind of stupid to get worked up about. I realize it annoyed me when I was, like, 8 years old (or when someone was dumb enough to actually park up ON our lawn) but jeez.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

She lives in old-retired-people-ville in Florida where this scam is common so I wouldn't be surprised if the store was telling employees how to go right up to the line when warning people without actually violating the letter of the policy.

I assume Wal-Mart doesn't want the enraged families of old people coming in and yelling at them every day about how if you see this all the time why aren't you warning anyone before they wire a grand to some scammer.

Fun Fact: in florida all voter registration information is public record so if you register to vote anyone can then get your address, phone number and age and know you're a vulnerable old lady who lives alone and can be reached via phone

The only way to get it sealed is if you're a certified victim of stalking (which is only done AFTER the information goes public and the internet archives it forever so it's completely worthless) or if you're, surprise, certain high-ranking government officials. I found this out because my SO suddenly got a call from her estranged alcoholic abusive dad where he said a bunch of literally insane poo poo that freaked her out a ton. Thanks Florida!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Have yearly dementia tests on your elders and make sure you get power of attorney the moment they start fading before some scammer gets a windfall.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I thought that was the whole point of thanksgiving, to see how far they've slipped.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ate all the Oreos posted:

I bet that Wal-Mart employee was properly congratulated for Doing the Right Thing and then promptly fired for breaking the rules

This is actually pretty common practice at any place that does wire transfers now. The employee was likely trained to do exactly this.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Fun Fact: in florida all voter registration information is public record so if you register to vote anyone can then get your address, phone number and age and know you're a vulnerable old lady who lives alone and can be reached via phone

The only way to get it sealed is if you're a certified victim of stalking (which is only done AFTER the information goes public and the internet archives it forever so it's completely worthless) or if you're, surprise, certain high-ranking government officials. I found this out because my SO suddenly got a call from her estranged alcoholic abusive dad where he said a bunch of literally insane poo poo that freaked her out a ton. Thanks Florida!

A/T: [ASK] me about dating Florida Man's daughter

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Day Man posted:

My grandmother almost fell for the same scheme about me. She called my mom before going to the bank. Thanks for ratting me out, grandma!! :argh:

Apparently us goons are a seedy bunch, or our relatives wouldn't fall prey to those so easily.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's obviously dramatically different when the parking is assigned to you! But curb street parking unassigned seems kind of stupid to get worked up about. I realize it annoyed me when I was, like, 8 years old (or when someone was dumb enough to actually park up ON our lawn) but jeez.

In the northeast, and I assume anywhere else where it snows heavily, parking in someone's shoveled out spot is a no-no. You will probably return to it having been keyed, shoveled back in, etc. I don't condone that, but it's a dick move, especially if it's at someone's home.

As far as irrational anger, I sometimes find myself having revenge fantasies about the parking situation across the street. It's a Starbucks parking lot, with spots lining the front of the building, and the opposite is a sidewalk with two way traffic in between. All day, people park up against the sidewalk turning that in to one way traffic, and it's super busy, so it's just impatient people laying on their horns all day. It's mostly a pain in the rear end when I'm trying to nap for my night job since I my room is at front of the house. If I had a paintball gun..... :argh:

Anyways, here's content.

Mom wants me to co-sign for a car posted:

I'm 20, in college and my mom wants to get a car for my sister. However, my mom can't do it on her own and she needs me to cosign as I already have good credit because I've owned two previous cars.
Should I cosign? Why? Why not?

EDIT: Thanks for all the quick replies. Majority rules, so I told my mom I'm not going to do it.

EDIT 2: Fell asleep last night guys, my apologies. I'll be answering anymore questions if asked.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fujs3/mom_wants_me_to_cosign_for_a_car/

Don't do it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Moneyball posted:

In the northeast, and I assume anywhere else where it snows heavily, parking in someone's shoveled out spot is a no-no. You will probably return to it having been keyed, shoveled back in, etc. I don't condone that, but it's a dick move, especially if it's at someone's home.

I was about to make a comment about how bad this gets in Boston, but looks like you're aware of it. :v: People sure do get livid about their snowspots, I think last year we had some tire-slashings and a full-on fight because of people poaching spots.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I was about to make a comment about how bad this gets in Boston, but looks like you're aware of it. :v: People sure do get livid about their snowspots, I think last year we had some tire-slashings and a full-on fight because of people poaching spots.

I live up on the north shore in the more sparsely settled 'burbs, and at worst, you can find a free public lot around here. I never saw how bad it gets until I was driving through cities closer to Boston, and now I completely understand why they do it!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The whole concept of dibs and feeling entitled to a spot on a public road for the entire winter because you spent 10 minutes shoveling it is so stupid. Taking that the next step to damaging someone else's property because they had the audacity to park in "your" spot is neanderthal behavior.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fuzk5/thinking_about_taking_out_a_loan_for_honeymoon/

quote:

Hey guys and gals. So my fiance [24] and I [30] are getting married come July next year. Generally speaking we are in good financial shape. No debt for either of us. My credit score is 723. All in all I think we are doing ok.
So the thing is we are having a destination wedding where both of our families are coming from across the country and, for the most part, the wedding is a pretty expensive thing. My fiance's parents are paying for the wedding which is really cool of them. My concern is with a few things other costs that may occur during the wedding that we have to pay. Maybe the rehearsal dinner. Hard to say with that.
She really hasn't been out of the country too much [aside from Canada], and would like to travel for the honeymoon. Which I'm all for. Thinking of a place like Hawaii or Europe, since we've never been to either.
She seems to think about $10k is pretty reasonable for the honeymoon. The problem I have is I don't just have 10k sitting around in cash ready for this thing. I have about 5k in cash in a savings. And it's more of an emergency fund that. Anything. She too has around 5k in savings but again it's for emergencies.
This is my first time posting here so I apologize in advance if I'm missing some critical info. I would be happy to answer any questions and would like to hear the community's thoughts thanks!

OP wants to take a $10k loan for a "pretty reasonable" honeymoon.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

"destination wedding"

moments later

"pretty reasonable $10k on honeymoon"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ornamented Death posted:

Maybe a traffic cone would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Moneyball posted:

Apparently us goons are a seedy bunch, or our relatives wouldn't fall prey to those so easily.

As far as irrational anger, I sometimes find myself having revenge fantasies about the parking situation across the street. It's a Starbucks parking lot, with spots lining the front of the building, and the opposite is a sidewalk with two way traffic in between. All day, people park up against the sidewalk turning that in to one way traffic, and it's super busy, so it's just impatient people laying on their horns all day. It's mostly a pain in the rear end when I'm trying to nap for my night job since I my room is at front of the house. If I had a paintball gun..... :argh:

Anyways, here's content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fujs3/mom_wants_me_to_cosign_for_a_car/

Don't do it!
OP burying the lede:

quote:

Here's a back story, I'm in military, shipped off to basic training at 17yrs. Couldn't open my own bank account at the time, so my mom opened me a checking account on her bank. During basic I saved 4K dollars plus an extra 2k I got from suing a company for racial discrimination. My mom took all of my money, instead of using it for bills she used it for a trip to see my family in the Bahamas. At basic I had no money and I blamed the military for not paying me. I couldn't buy any hygiene items at the time. Even before I went to basic training I told my mom not to touch my money. She went against my word. So I came home with only $700 at the end of basic training.
OP shouldn't let mom or sis touch his bank accounts or credit with a ten-foot pole.

• Locked thread