Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

Wasn’t this the inspiration for the Andromeda Strain?

That’s pretty cool!

That was a quiz and you picked the two I made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GWBBQ posted:

You only sort of made that one up, though. Atomic gardening was an actual thing, with seeds being exposed to gamma radiation from a cobalt source to induce mutations that might have commercial use, and thousands of useful cultivars were developed. If you get a red grapefruit at the grocery, it probably originated with this process.

Nowadays genetic modification is far more precise and useful, but people find it scarier and creepier than just blasting seeds with gamma rays.

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you read the Old and New Testaments with a critical eye, one perfectly reasonable conclusion you could come to is that God is a monster. This is why the concept of the Demiurge slipped into Christianity for a while. The God of the Bible was so lovely that he couldn’t possibly be the supreme being.

Says right there in the OT that God's not omnibenevolent: "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." It's the Christians that had to come up with theodicies to allow them to preserve this "God is good" nonsense. The Jews just straight up went with "He's really powerful and can gently caress your poo poo up so we'd better obey him."

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Sep 2, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

You only sort of made that one up, though. Atomic gardening was an actual thing, with seeds being exposed to gamma radiation from a cobalt source to induce mutations that might have commercial use, and thousands of useful cultivars were developed. If you get a red grapefruit at the grocery, it probably originated with this process.

Nowadays genetic modification is far more precise and useful, but people find it scarier and creepier than just blasting seeds with gamma rays.

None of them can photosynthesise from gamma though. As far as I know the only organism that can obtain energy from gamma radiation is a type of black mold.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

With back to school now here, I've done a story on one commune-style college that was briefly the center of drug culture in North America. Enter Rochdale College.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Says right there in the OT that God's not omnibenevolent: "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." It's the Christians that had to come up with theodicies to allow them to preserve this "God is good" nonsense. The Jews just straight up went with "He's really powerful and can gently caress your poo poo up so we'd better obey him."

The other side of the Jewish view is that sometimes it isn't God being a dick for the sake of being a dick but putting you through trials to make you stronger in the end. That or because you were being a dick and He wanted you to knock it the gently caress off.

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other side of the Jewish view is that sometimes it isn't God being a dick for the sake of being a dick but putting you through trials to make you stronger in the end. That or because you were being a dick and He wanted you to knock it the gently caress off.

Or that your dad was dick. Or your grandfather was a dick. "Sins of the father..." and all that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phanatic posted:

There was a Pulitzer-prize-winning play around this, "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds." I have no idea how well it's stood up; I only know about it because a monologue from it was *really* popular in Speech and Debate competitions. See also "Bury The Dead", by Irwin Shaw, and the last scene from "Our Town".

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

GWBBQ posted:

Ahh that explains it.

The first one was totally the Andromeda Strain then.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a really interesting article about the 1973 Walpole Prison uprising, and the unnerving implications it creates about the US incarceration system, and the concept of prisons in general.

quote:

Guards issued a strike ultimatum on March 14, when they demanded Boone’s immediate removal. Those that reported to work complained about the presence of civilian observers. They resented that individuals could monitor job performance and report violations of prison regulations, and felt ganged up on by the presence of formerly incarcerated individuals. On March 15, eleven prisoners were released from 10 Block and entered the general population, and two hundred guards walked out of Walpole in an official guard strike. Guards that were normally present at all times in corridors left their positions entirely unattended. The guards’ union continued to demand that Boone leave. Boone responded by suspending 150 of them for five days without pay.

The 15th marked the official start of the prisoners’ campaign, because when the opportunity presented itself to takeover Walpole, concrete goals became to exercise self-determination within the prison, and to demonstrate to the media and the public that the prison itself was unnecessary. These goals differed from the earlier goals of Perelle’s resignation and the arrival of outside observers, and were more radical than the NPRA’s supposed framework of worker’s rights.

quote:

The inmates developed a high degree of organization. According to one observer: “When we visited Walpole, the prisoners had ended their work strike. The guards were still out. And we found a complex society at work, a society that puts out official state documents, records and printed forms, building materials, light handicrafts, license plates and 18,000 meals a day for its population…it has its workers, its employers, its organizations, its cooks, craftsmen, educators, even its artists.”

quote:

From March 15 to May 18, the NPRA both functioned as the elected representative of the prisoners at Walpole, and was responsible for running nearly the entire institution. Prisoners ran a school, conflict resolution, and counseling, and demonstrated the inadequacy of the traditional ‘correctional’ workforce. During the whole time of the non-violent takeover, not a single outbreak of murder or rape occurred.

https://libcom.org/history/1973-prisoners-take-control-walpole-prison

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The Golden Gael posted:

With back to school now here, I've done a story on one commune-style college that was briefly the center of drug culture in North America. Enter Rochdale College.

cool. i had never heard of this.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pvt.Scott posted:

I don’t know what else to say, other than that I would tacitly approve of the actions of an individual or group executing a jailbreak/rescue operation on one of the concentration camps.

Willem van Spronsen was a hero

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Sep 3, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Willem van Spronsen was a hero

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Well, poo poo. I didn’t know that there was already a martyr for the cause. I feel loving proud of the human race right now. God bless van Spronsen.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, poo poo. I didn’t know that there was already a martyr for the cause. I feel loving proud of the human race right now. God bless van Spronsen.

are you being sarcastic? what are you trying to say here can you be more specific

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

also a woman in Florida threw a molotov at a USCIS office last week, though that might just have been Normal Behavior For Florida rather than a case of laudable insurrection

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

It was kind of interesting how the big media outlets barely reported on van Spronsen's action but love to lose their minds when some 8channer blows people away with an AR-15. Real head-scratcher

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Seriously, skilled tarp structure builders are rare these days

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

Seriously, skilled tarp structure builders are rare these days

Tired: learn to code.
Wired:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

It was kind of interesting how the big media outlets barely reported on van Spronsen's action but love to lose their minds when some 8channer blows people away with an AR-15. Real head-scratcher

if we're being truthful here and not speaking with irony poisoning, i genuinely thing they're afraid if they talk about something like that it'll encourage more people to actually stand up against the state

vs they talk about mass shootings because they actually reinforce the status quo, and the more mass shootings that happen, the better for the ruling class

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
In fairness, not that there's any reason to really give the news a charitable read, if it bleeds it leads and he didn't kill anyone. That's definitely part of it. Like how there was a shooting at an Alabama high school football game that wounded 10 people. I didn't see or read anything on the bigger "mainstream" sources. It looks like it barely made it above the metaphorical fold.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the media is not reporting on anti-ice activity in general. there was mass protests by jewish communities across every major city in the usa last month and it took weeks for the movement to even be mentioned in the press (coincidentally, what seemed to finally break the silence was an ice guard running over a crowd of sitting protesters with a truck)

we are in the part of the cycle where they don't tell you anything and trust inertia to do its job

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Kanine posted:

if we're being truthful here and not speaking with irony poisoning, i genuinely thing they're afraid if they talk about something like that it'll encourage more people to actually stand up against the state

vs they talk about mass shootings because they actually reinforce the status quo, and the more mass shootings that happen, the better for the ruling class

This was what I was going for yeah :)

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

nankeen posted:

the media is not reporting on anti-ice activity in general. there was mass protests by jewish communities across every major city in the usa last month and it took weeks for the movement to even be mentioned in the press (coincidentally, what seemed to finally break the silence was an ice guard running over a crowd of sitting protesters with a truck)

we are in the part of the cycle where they don't tell you anything and trust inertia to do its job

Not to turn this thread too C-SPAM but your point is reinforced by pretty much any MSM coverage of Sanders (when they're not completely ignoring him and his popularity) or any article in the NYT or WaPo about his campaign. Those articles are truly...unnerving

The ignore user function can be accessed by clicking on the "Profile" link at the bottom left of my post and then clicking the "ignore user" button on the bottom right of the profile page

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The ignore user function can be accessed by clicking on the "Profile" link at the bottom left of my post and then clicking the "ignore user" button on the bottom right of the profile page

what

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

what can we do to increase a crunk birds self esteem? i dont know a crunk bird irl, but i remember some of their posts in the past that i thought were funny

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I love and support u crunk birb

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I love and support u crunk birb

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Kanine posted:

nankeen posted:

The US mass media are "effective and powerful ideological institutions that carry out a system-supportive propaganda function" maintaining the economic, social, and political hegemony of the privileged.

you dont have to read herman chomsky to grasp that but the book has a lot of evidence and case studies and stuff

quote:

It is our view that, among their other functions, the media serve, and propagandize on behalf of, the powerful societal interests that control and finance them.The representatives of these interests have important agendas and principles that they want to advance, and they are well positioned to shape and constrain media policy.

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Sep 4, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
manufacturing consent is required reading for all americans imo

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Try it out if your druthers dictate

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Is it bad I find the fact she feels guilty about this way more unnerving than the fact her in-laws are openly trying to murder her? :psyduck:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Mushrooms are super delicious and also not everyone likes them so this family totally going way, way out of their way to murder her.

Where the gently caress do you get powdered mushrooms? I've never seen them even in the international stores. I guess they bought dried and ground them fine, like absolute psychopaths.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
You can get mushroom powder on Amazon.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah mushroom powder exists it's just in no way a common food additive in the way that, say, garlic powder is.

That's a whole family of "lol she just doesn't like mushrooms and is pretending to have a life-threatening allergy, we'll show her by putting it in innocuous foodstuffs, nothing could possibly go wrong"

At least the guy she's with gets it and has warned her. That's a good thing in this confluence of terrible people.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FFT posted:

Yeah mushroom powder exists it's just in no way a common food additive in the way that, say, garlic powder is.

That's a whole family of "lol she just doesn't like mushrooms and is pretending to have a life-threatening allergy, we'll show her by putting it in innocuous foodstuffs, nothing could possibly go wrong"

At least the guy she's with gets it and has warned her. That's a good thing in this confluence of terrible people.

unlike that other husband who not only knew that his mother was poisoning his wife, he was fine with it (because he got mad when she swapped her little pitcher of sauce with his and he got sick instead after years of calling her a liar).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

woah what? lemme see that story

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FFT posted:

woah what? lemme see that story

Part 1

https://slate.com/human-interest/2012/03/poisoned-meals-my-mother-in-law-may-be-trying-to-make-me-sick.html

quote:

Dear Prudence,
My mother-in-law hates me and makes no bones about it when she and I are alone. My husband doesn’t believe me, and she even gloats about that. We have to attend family functions at her home about once a month. (It used to be more frequent, but after I put my foot down, my husband agreed that monthly would be sufficient.) The problem is that after each visit, I wind up with a bad case of diarrhea; my husband does not. I don’t know if the other in-laws are affected, because if I asked, it would get back to her. I suspect that my mother-in-law is putting something in my food or drink. Last time, I barely made it home before being struck down. Now I am considering getting some “adult undergarments” to make sure I don’t ruin the car’s upholstery on the ride home from her place. Do you have any other advice?

Dear Running,
In the great old Cary Grant movie Suspicion, director Alfred Hitchcock has a scene in which possible murderer Grant is bringing a glass of milk to his wife, played by Joan Fontaine, and no beverage has ever looked so malign. Just as Fontaine wasn’t sure if she was being poisoned, you aren’t either. It’s possible you’ve entered a Pavlovian cycle in which when you eat your mother-in-law’s food your digestive tract automatically goes into overdrive, or that there is some ingredient she regularly uses which just doesn’t agree with you. It’s also possible she’s trying to harm you. I’ve been reading a fascinating book, The Poisoner’s Handbook, about poisoners in the early 20th century—it was a popular way to off someone—and the new forensic scientists who exposed them. Peek at your mother-in-law’s Kindle to see if she’s downloaded this. The next time you go for dinner at her house, after the food is served but before you begin eating, you and your husband should agree to swap plates and cups. If you mother-in-law screams to her son, “Don’t eat that!” case closed, Sherlock. Of course, this would require your husband to take your concerns seriously. It’s alarming to think your mother-in-law might be deliberately sickening you. Equally distressing is the fact that your husband does not believe you when you describe her malicious behavior. You need to tell your husband that after becoming repeatedly ill at your in-law’s house, you have become afraid for your health. Tell him you are also afraid for your marriage because he apparently believes you are a liar—which you are not—when it comes to his mother. Say that he needs to take seriously the fact that she says ugly things when you and she are alone, and you are not going to stand for it anymore. If that doesn’t result in his attention and concern, then you may need to move to your mother’s.

And finale

http://www.startribune.com/turns-out-that-mom-in-law-really-was-tainting-her-food/152095325/%5C

quote:

Q A few months ago, you answered my letter asking for advice regarding a situation involving my hateful mother-in-law, whom I suspected of tainting my food or drink at family functions at her home.
You had suggested swapping plates with my husband to see if my mother-in-law would react. However, as you noted, that would have required bringing my husband into my confidence. I didn't feel it was wise to do that, because he already didn't believe that his mother treated me badly.
The next function was at Easter. She provided a traditional prime-rib dinner, set up buffet style, and I could see no way that could be problematic. However, when we arrived at her home, the dinner table was set with place cards and in front of each was a ramekin of horseradish sauce and a small pitcher of au jus.
When nobody was looking, I switched the ramekin and pitcher between my husband's place and mine.
After my husband and I returned home, he became wracked with diarrhea, but I wasn't ill at all. In the morning, I told him that I had switched the horseradish and au jus. He looked at me with such hatred in his eyes that I knew he had known all along what his mother was up to. His only words were to accuse me of poisoning him.
I quickly packed and raced out of there. I've hired a divorce lawyer, and I won't be looking back. Thank you for your advice and concern.

A I so appreciate your giving us this chilling, stomach-turning update. Thank goodness you got out before your mother-in-law's condiments turned lethal. When you confer with your divorce attorney, do ask about the possibility of criminal charges.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

FFT posted:

I've never understood the mindset of sneak whatever food in anyways what a person says they can't/won't eat. It's like who made them the mealtime police? I understand it can be frustrating at times to have to work around a dietary restriction, but when you have internet access it's not impossible to research an alternative be it a substitute ingredient or a different recipe altogether. When I was picked to bring the dessert to a gathering where one person had a tree nut allergy and another had a peanut allergy, my solution was to just make something with no nuts. Do I know if they were faking an allergy or not, no and I can't in good conscience take that risk. Even if it's just a 'I don't like X', no biggie, I'll just not use X or find a work around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've never understood the mindset of sneak whatever food in anyways what a person says they can't/won't eat. It's like who made them the mealtime police? I understand it can be frustrating at times to have to work around a dietary restriction, but when you have internet access it's not impossible to research an alternative be it a substitute ingredient or a different recipe altogether. When I was picked to bring the dessert to a gathering where one person had a tree nut allergy and another had a peanut allergy, my solution was to just make something with no nuts. Do I know if they were faking an allergy or not, no and I can't in good conscience take that risk. Even if it's just a 'I don't like X', no biggie, I'll just not use X or find a work around.

A lot of people just get absolutely fuming about YOU DON'T EAT WHAT I EAT. Hell, bring up picky eaters around goons and the rage gets palpable. Or the spectre of the vocal vegan.