Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

If PCs have taught me anything, it's that more RAM is always welcome.

Surely RAM is cheap as chips and small enough that you could put a bunch more on a phone if not for anything else but bragging rights?

disclaimer: I don't know the prices of phone rams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone ever choose not to transfer everything to a new phone? My contacts and photos are synced to gmail, and I don't really need anything else. I think half the fun of a new phone is getting new apps and organizing stuff. Is it just me?

Hell yes, I mean half the time in the past it was because it would fail to properly restore and just leave me with stock anyway but I never bother to get rid of apps once they're on the drat phone so it's the best strategy for me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KinkyJohn posted:

Surely RAM is cheap as chips and small enough that you could put a bunch more on a phone if not for anything else but bragging rights?

disclaimer: I don't know the prices of phone rams

IIRC, most phones are using low power DDR4 RAM, just like PCs. And there are a decent amount of phones including 6GB of RAM specifically for those bragging rights/to completely remove the typical memory bottleneck.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'd think that just for space reasons you'd need some type of compact chips for the ram in a cell phone, you just don't have the physical space that you have in even a laptop.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They don't jam DIMMs into phones. They solder in the chips directly to the mobo.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

They don't jam DIMMs into phones. They solder in the chips directly to the mobo.

Well, yes, but even just the chips from a normal stick would take up a good deal of real estate I'd think, but I will admit I could be wrong, it isn't something I've thought about in great detail and my brain is do exhausted right now that thinking hurts.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Does the Pixel not have an option for gyroscope activated ambient display? I really miss that, especially now that my power button is really stiff inside an otterbox.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone ever choose not to transfer everything to a new phone? My contacts and photos are synced to gmail, and I don't really need anything else. I think half the fun of a new phone is getting new apps and organizing stuff. Is it just me?

I enjoy messing around with the settings and the like, so I always start with a clean phone. It does get tedious installing all the apps, but I usually prioritize based on importance, giving me the chance to give up apps I don't use anymore.

It helps that I try to set everything up with some sort of backup in place so I'm rarely manually moving content over.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, yes, but even just the chips from a normal stick would take up a good deal of real estate I'd think, but I will admit I could be wrong, it isn't something I've thought about in great detail and my brain is do exhausted right now that thinking hurts.
I believe the DRAM package is actually stacked on top of the SoC with current-generation mobile devices. The package-on-package technique reduces the length data has to travel through the system to a few millimeters, saving power and weight.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

IIRC, most phones are using low power DDR4 RAM, just like PCs. And there are a decent amount of phones including 6GB of RAM specifically for those bragging rights/to completely remove the typical memory bottleneck.

LPDDR4 is very different from DDR4. Mostly the bus widths are higher in the LP form, since in a desktop environment, you'll typically have many dice together on a DIMM. Another nifty thing is that LPDDR4 is inherently dual channel. Each die has two independent channels. It doesn't strictly double your bandwidth, since each channel is half as wide as what you would have had, but you gain efficiency in access that lets you squeeze more out of the die. This also reduces latency, since the DRAM array each channel has to access is half the size.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am in love with my Pixel XL and I am going to have sex with it. This is such an amazing phone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Well, that didn't take long.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Welp. Have to RMA my Pixel because of camera issues. And I'm not talking about that halo business.
I'm talking about poo poo like this:
The camera usually crashes after that. Doesn't happen all the time but regularly enough to be pretty annoying. A factory reset didn't help so I'm getting a new one next week.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I said come in! posted:

I am in love with my Pixel XL and I am going to have sex with it. This is such an amazing phone.

I pray your pecker is USB C.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I pray your pecker is USB C.

The phone goes in the butt :heysexy:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nimper posted:

Rubbing is a perfectly acceptable alternative

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

nimper posted:

Make sure to use a water-based lubricant, due to the oleophobic coating on the screen. :eng101:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's the one case I would not recommend grip tape.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bronin posted:

Welp. Have to RMA my Pixel because of camera issues. And I'm not talking about that halo business.
I'm talking about poo poo like this:
The camera usually crashes after that. Doesn't happen all the time but regularly enough to be pretty annoying. A factory reset didn't help so I'm getting a new one next week.

Weird, maybe there's some kind of defect in that particular unit's sensor. Is anything consistent with the conditions under which it crashes? Phone being under load and running warm, for example?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
My Pixel doesn't make any sounds when I plug the cable in to charge it. Is that normal?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

FedEx Mercury posted:

My Pixel doesn't make any sounds when I plug the cable in to charge it. Is that normal?

I don't think so. I explicitly checked if the box for charging sounds was checked and it was. In fact, I checked when I went to turn off the boot noise. But the charging sound doesn't seem to play.

In other words, it is normal. But it is probably a bug that affects everybody or just you and me.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

FAUXTON posted:

Weird, maybe there's some kind of defect in that particular unit's sensor. Is anything consistent with the conditions under which it crashes? Phone being under load and running warm, for example?

Unfortunately I have no idea what triggers it. It's seemingly random. I found at least one other guy online who had the same problem though. Maybe the sensor is hosed, maybe it's just some loose cable or something, I don't know. New unit should arrive next week though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone found any super cheap colorful TPU cases for the pixel? I'd like to get a couple non-black or clear cheap cases. Something just red and blue. I had a pile of Nexus5 cases around that I got for like $1 a piece.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

crazysim posted:

I don't think so. I explicitly checked if the box for charging sounds was checked and it was. In fact, I checked when I went to turn off the boot noise. But the charging sound doesn't seem to play.

In other words, it is normal. But it is probably a bug that affects everybody or just you and me.

I also checked that box. When Googling this issue I found a thread about the Nexus 6 that suggests that option is for wireless charging, not sure if that's still the case. I've already had a couple of instances where the phone wasn't charging when I thought it was. I wish there was some kind of feedback other than the small battery icon changing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bronin posted:

Unfortunately I have no idea what triggers it. It's seemingly random. I found at least one other guy online who had the same problem though. Maybe the sensor is hosed, maybe it's just some loose cable or something, I don't know. New unit should arrive next week though.

Guarantee that's the clock line not enabling correctly. It's either a bad cable or a bad sensor.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Good news: I was just able to add to cart and check out with a black 128GB Pixel XL from the Google Store.
Bad news: Estimated delivery date: November 28 – 30, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

KS posted:

Good news: I was just able to add to cart and check out with a black 128GB Pixel XL from the Google Store.

It seems like all versions are pretty heavily backordered. Which is one of hte reasons why my original one disappearing and me having to get refunded and reordering sucks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KS posted:

My delivery date for the silver 128gb XL is Nov 20-23, order placed around Oct 14. So you're not too far behind.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm 295 in the Rogers queue to get a Pixel XL 128GB phone. I'm actually surprised at how nice this whole process has been with Rogers. It can't come soon enough as this slow rear end Note 3 needs to go.

I'm a little concerned about the whole halo fiasco with the camera, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. I wonder how something so obvious made it through to production though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hamelekim posted:

I wonder how something so obvious made it through to production though.

Until I get the phone, I'd lean toward it being less obvious than one might think.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Khisanth Magus posted:

It seems like all versions are pretty heavily backordered. Which is one of hte reasons why my original one disappearing and me having to get refunded and reordering sucks.

I wonder what the demand would be if the note 7 wasn't dead. Seems like that is contributing to the high demand right now. At least that is my assumption.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I heard Google made the note 7 explode

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KS posted:

Go visit your local verizon store. They may be able to get one faster. And theres a bootloader unlock tool (for now) that works on them as well.

Hamelekim posted:

I'm a little concerned about the whole halo fiasco with the camera, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. I wonder how something so obvious made it through to production though.
FWIW I haven't seen that on mine at all, and supposedly it effects all of them.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 28, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I heard Google made the note 7 explode

The google supercomputer hacked reality and altered the physics of the universe to cause the battery to explode.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Buried deep inside AOSP is an if statement.

if (device.getID() == Devices.SAMSUNG.GALAXY_NOTE_SEVEN)
{
explode();
}

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Farchanter posted:

Buried deep inside AOSP is an if statement.

if (device.getID() == Devices.SAMSUNG.GALAXY_NOTE_SEVEN)
{
explode();
}

gotta make it a bit less obvious....

code:
random.explode();

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I have a work iPhone I barely use. is there a way I can get a notification on my actual phone (Moto xp) whenever that iPhone is called or receives an SMS?

nerox
May 20, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Go visit your local verizon store. They may be able to get one faster. And theres a bootloader unlock tool (for now) that works on them as well.

FWIW I haven't seen that on mine at all, and supposedly it effects all of them.

I ordered mine from Verizon last week and was quoted Dec 2

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm assuming mine came right away because of Verizon Business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cable posted:

I have a work iPhone I barely use. is there a way I can get a notification on my actual phone (Moto xp) whenever that iPhone is called or receives an SMS?

pushbullet