Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You overthink my shitposting and if you really would root for a shitter doing badly to be even shitier to make someone else mad you're a twisted individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
imagine being stuck with the newbie every time you queued for 2 years straight, still just as oblivious as he was on day one

welcome to the sa thread

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Hey how do the healers stack up these da--
:yikes:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

That doesn't stop work from using florescent lights, unfortunately. I can see that poo poo flash and it is painful.

Cool app, though.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Belzac posted:

You overthink my shitposting and if you really would root for a shitter doing badly to be even shitier to make someone else mad you're a twisted individual.

let me piss on your own face and make you my little pet man

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Belzac posted:

You're quite right on the former.

As for the latter, I apologize for being unclear earlier. If someone's throwing an entertaining poo poo fit about something relatively unimportant, I'll absolutely be in favor of watching more entertaining poo poo fit rather than correcting the relatively unimportant problem. I would not, however, be in favor of making the problem substantially worse than it already was. Nor would I be in favor of letting an important problem go uncorrected. If the tank can't hold aggro, that's worth complaining about. If the MCH doesn't have 100% uptime on Hot Shot, I honestly don't give a poo poo.

It's mostly in reference to that one type of player personality who cannot pick their battles, let things go, shrug and drop a point, etc., and who will make an exaggerated huge deal out of everything even if it's honestly not important in context. I'd give them bonus points for being antagonistic on top of that, except that's generally the default anyway. I expect you know the type, even if not personally.

And lest anyone get ideas of attempting to hyperbolically put opposite-extreme words in my mouth, no, I am not in favor of meekly shutting up and never saying anything about anything no matter how terrible. Sometimes you do need to step up and say something. But I am strongly in favor of getting better responses by being friendly in communication though. I'm also strongly in favor of exercising reasonable judgment of what is and is not worth an argument.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 15, 2016

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Just don't try to make random people better players, it's not worth the effort

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I had a Greg 2 in party finder, where for phase 2 the newbie said "sorry, watching a cutscene" to which I told him to take his time and watch the cutscene. At that point a healer said he wouldn't wait and casted aero on Greg. Four of us immediately stepped out of the arena to watch him die. We didn't kick him but we harassed the crap out of him the entire fight. "You want this done faster? Why don't you DPS then?" Was pretty much the best.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chyea posted:

Just don't try to make random people better players, it's not worth the effort

It's usually a good way to get 2 or 3 commends. Possibly the only way if you're dps.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hobbesmaster posted:

It's usually a good way to get 2 or 3 commends. Possibly the only way if you're dps.

I seem to get 2-3 commends as BRD just by being a BRD that actually sings :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I get 3/3 commends all the time as DPS because I am da best

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I never get commendations because I'm an idiot who says things in DF like "hey turn on darkside bro" or "please don't single target through this massive 20 mob pull"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Fister Roboto posted:

I never get commendations because I'm an idiot who says things in DF like "hey turn on darkside bro" or "please don't single target through this massive 20 mob pull"

you'll never get those commends that way

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

same

the former just happened 30 minutes ago and i got raged at by the rest of the group i was in. I was surprised that I didn't get vote kicked.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I usually give my commendation to the dps if they performed an admirable job. I rather prefer to not give one at all if no one (but me) did well.
I'm not a fan of people giving the tank or healer a commendation just for showing up.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I give my commendations to the best potato

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Which fight has baked potatoes?

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
Today I hit 60 and beat Thordad, it was pretty sweet. Then I spent all my money on jewelry to get to 145.

Now what?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Which fight has baked potatoes?

Ifrit, clearly.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

Today I hit 60 and beat Thordad, it was pretty sweet. Then I spent all my money on jewelry to get to 145.

Now what?

Here you go. Start with step two. You can also do the 3.1 story (and you probably should).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/281668-Patch-3.2-Trailer-is-Up

Lots of FFXI apologists in this thread. Anything by "FizzleOfRagnarok" is comedy gold.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
The launcher's been kicking my rear end for the last couple days now and I've tried doing everything that I could find (loving with IE settings, adding exclusions, deleting the XIV Documents folder, etc.) but I still keep getting this crap

I'm at a loss at this point, honestly

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That error basically boils down to "I'm trying to run this one file in the boot sequence but I can't". Aside from IE/firewall/network related things (let alone 14 related things), it could be something more general like "oh hey, your loving disk is full" or "you have a lovely antivirus which is butting in where it shouldn't" (Avast in particular seems to be notorious?).

As for IE settings, don't overthink that. Assuming this won't gently caress you up because you actually use IE for some sorrowful reason, just pop into IE settings and reset them to default. Default works totally fine with 14, so if you've got a launcher issue after that, you can at least write off IE settings as the culprit.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Vil posted:

"oh hey, your loving disk is full" or "you have a lovely antivirus which is butting in where it shouldn't"

As for IE settings, don't overthink that. Assuming this won't gently caress you up because you actually use IE for some sorrowful reason, just pop into IE settings and reset them to default. Default works totally fine with 14, so if you've got a launcher issue after that, you can at least write off IE settings as the culprit.

The former aren't issues, I have over 600GB on my drive right now and I'm an irresponsible shithead without an antivirus at the moment

Just tried resetting IE settings to default and I've still got nothing. Does XIV have some kind of file repair tool that I'm not aware of that I could throw at this to see if it helps?

Edit: Deleting FFXIV_BOOT.cfg fixes the problem but when I start up again it usually vomits out the error again

Reco fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 15, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

hobbesmaster posted:

I get commends when there's a new guy and I explain the boss mechanics.

A team of veterans is harder to get them from unless I'm spinning all my wheels (usually as a healer).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I get commends when there's a new guy and I explain the boss mechanics.

I gave my most recent commendation to the BLM in Sunken Temple who explained a lot of the boss fights to me. It was my first run, and we wiped a few times. I think the healer was new as well. I main DRG at the moment, and don't often get comms unless I do a good job. I got two in my last Brayflox and I don't even know what I did. Maybe it was because I kept Blood for Blood up and used Limit Breaks? I mean, I do that as much as possible anyway, so I don't know.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 15, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I was doing ifrit HM for trials roulette the other day as BLM and got all seven comms. :confused: I mean, I did the highest DPS, but not by a particularly significant margin; the monk was just about neck-and-neck with me. The only thing I can think of is that everyone else was in a premade, but they were talking in party chat like they weren't. ~mysterious dps commendations~

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They probably queued with 7 in their group. Can't commend someone you queued with, so they commend the 8th person.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

In the 3.2 trailer at the start is that Krile saying Sephirot's restraints were being released?

Krile is the best, btw.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I get commends as AST.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Play AST.

Throw AoE Balance on at least one boss fight.

Enjoy the sweet sweet commends rolling in while you did absolutely nothing but card roulette and casting benefic the entire dungeon.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hivac posted:

The launcher's been kicking my rear end for the last couple days now and I've tried doing everything that I could find (loving with IE settings, adding exclusions, deleting the XIV Documents folder, etc.) but I still keep getting this crap

I got that. Its an SSL Certificate issue. Clean out your IE cache files and it should go away. (IE Options -> Advanced -> Reset and delete errthing, or use CCleaner or something similar)

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Digital_Jesus posted:

I got that. Its an SSL Certificate issue. Clean out your IE cache files and it should go away. (IE Options -> Advanced -> Reset and delete errthing, or use CCleaner or something similar)

Nope. None of that stuff worked. Then i restarted my router and it went away :psyduck:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nice!

Yeah I've gotten it 3 times so far and it always appears to be the launcher corrupting its certificate stored in IE.

How is SE so bad with internet related things.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Since I'm still at the point where I only run each dungeon once, I always commend whoever explains mechanics to me as a new guy. If nobody does, I give it to the tank unless he's poo poo. Then the healer and then the fellow DPS. I get commends most of the time. I think there have been some like Garuda Hard where I didn't, but it's to the point where I kinda expect one after each dungeon. Speaking of, the Coil of Bahamut is pretty. Just a very pretty dungeon and the first Turn had some neat mechanics. If only it wasn't old content that nobody wants to play.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

People are perfectly happy to play coil at least once through for a newbie to get a clear. (There's some level 60 content out currently which requires a shitload of poetic and law tomestones. So if you have a first-time bonus, that's extra appealing at the moment.)

And they're sometimes happy to play them more than that for glamour farms or something.

In both cases though, they'll want to do those unsynced to make them easier to do. So if you're looking for a group that wants to do coil synced to 50 like the original experience... not gonna say it's impossible to find a team for that, but it's definitely a lot harder. (And whatever you do, don't try to DF it if you value your sanity.)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
We ran T1-9 in DGKK last friday, I think? All newbie bonus, all unsynched. Just have to ask around and you'll almost always have takers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vil posted:

People are perfectly happy to play coil at least once through for a newbie to get a clear. (There's some level 60 content out currently which requires a shitload of poetic and law tomestones. So if you have a first-time bonus, that's extra appealing at the moment.)

And they're sometimes happy to play them more than that for glamour farms or something.

In both cases though, they'll want to do those unsynced to make them easier to do. So if you're looking for a group that wants to do coil synced to 50 like the original experience... not gonna say it's impossible to find a team for that, but it's definitely a lot harder. (And whatever you do, don't try to DF it if you value your sanity.)

There is at least one group I know of on ffgoons that has organized some synced coil runs.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Hivac posted:

I love that they still haven't figured out the %x printf flag.

The actual error is 800C0005. The C bit means it's a WININET error and 5 is ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. (Which isn't listed as a thing wininet can generate, but whatever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Levantine posted:

We ran T1-9 in DGKK last friday, I think? All newbie bonus, all unsynched. Just have to ask around and you'll almost always have takers.

The T9 music is really boss, and I encourage everyone to check it out at least once.

So when does 3.2 go live?

• Locked thread