Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
This GP should have been Modern-Legacy-Vintage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Niton posted:

Energy plays a bunch of cards which all contribute to a single resource pool (Energy), which can't be interacted with in any way outside of an unplayable 3 mana enchantment. Unlike similar mechanics, Energy is not taxed in any way for being on the card - leading to opening sequences like:

Turn 1: Attune with Aether (2 Energy)
Turn 2: Aether Hub, Longtusk Cub (3 Energy)
Turn 3: Rogue Refiner (5 Energy), attack with a Longtusk Cub representing as a 4/4, gain 2 energy when it connects (7).

Don't forget that this gives you perfect 3-5 color mana to cast literally any playable card in the format, too.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Shortest Path posted:

Don't forget that this gives you perfect 3-5 color mana to cast literally any playable card in the format, too.

Right, right - and that one of the better Energy cards is a burn spell that uses energy to inflict damage. It's the closest thing we've seen to unconditional removal in years.

Seriously, they refuse to push tribes intentionally at low CMC - how the gently caress did they manage this by accident?

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 6, 2018

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Also, Andrew Cuneo is my hero. Look at those beautiful lands.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, compare what has been banned across standards and you'll see a gradually decreasing curve for the most part.

Memory Jar was busted as all hell in it's time and still is with fast mana.

Affinity was just way too powerful as a whole next to it's contemporaries and it's still a strong stalwart in Modern.

Jace and Stoneforge were incredibly powerful cards vastly above the curve of a lot of the cards they shared a standard with, and while they're fun cards they were just too strong for standard (but not for Modern, free them Wizards!)

Then next up we have...Emrakul, a card that would be pretty strong in most recent standards of the last 5 years but still require building around to work, Smuggler's Copter, a card that was more annoying for sheer ubiquity than anything else, and...Reflector Mage? :confused: Why the hell is a pushed Man-o-War too much for standard?

Then at this point the floodgates start to open, a loving 1/4 4 mana common gets banned out because they just don't have the removal in standard to answer a 1/4 4 mana common, and they follow it up with banning Aetherworks Marvel, a card which comboed with itself and would've been potentially viable in other standards, but also did require some building around and was strong primarily on the back of the sheer lack of answers to the deck.

And now they're going to ban loving Lay of the Land. If you were looking at a graph that traced power of banned cards relative to their answers the problem here wouldn't be that cards were too powerful for the answers available like they were long ago, it's that the answers are just loving pitiful relative to these mediocre cards that are warping entire formats.

The fact that they felt that Reflector Mage needed a ban should've been a canary in the coal mine for the direction the game is going in.

This is a really good post. I "knew" all of this stuff but having it laid out like this really makes the curve, as you put it, obvious in a way it wasn't before. Wow.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I mean one problem is that the turnaround on fixing broken poo poo takes so long. Core sets are starting back this year after Dominaria, right? They could start actually printing generic, staple answers then, having had time to see how bad their R&D has been and actually start making corrections.

Stop trying to depower Standard. Reprint some powerful poo poo and let's gooooo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Soul Glo posted:

I mean one problem is that the turnaround on fixing broken poo poo takes so long. Core sets are starting back this year after Dominaria, right? They could start actually printing generic, staple answers then, having had time to see how bad their R&D has been and actually start making corrections.

Stop trying to depower Standard. Reprint some powerful poo poo and let's gooooo.

*6 months later*

I can't believe they reprinted Thoughtseize in standard :cry:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

*6 months later*

Tears of joy?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

*6 months later*

No one who isn't an idiot would be pissed off to see lightning bolt and path to exile back in standard. It would solve about 50 problems.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Saying “I can’t believe they banned Lay of the Land” is the most disingenuous argument in a long time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No one who isn't an idiot would be pissed off to see lightning bolt and path to exile back in standard. It would solve about 50 problems.

BUT MY FEELBADS

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

It's been a while since I've played magic, can someone explain to me what's the big deal with energy and why it's such a problem?

To avoid being parasitic, Energy was designed such that an energy card is theoretically playable by itself. Every card that spends energy generates it in some way. Longtusk Cub adds two so it can be a vanilla 3/3 for 2 mana, which isn't that odd of a rate. Servant of the Conduit is a bear that can add mana twice, reasonable. Whirler Virtuoso is a vanilla 2/3 and a 1/1 flier for 3, a bit stronger than Mardu Hordechief or Seller of Songbirds but it's a 2-color card so it's okay if it's a little stronger than mono-color cards. Aether Hub is Tendo Ice Bridge with a different counter. Harnessed Lightning is 2 mana for 3 damage, limited removal, sure.

Then you have cards like Attune with Aether and Rogue Refiner that are reasonable with no outlet for the energy they produce. Attune is a spin on Lay of the Land and Rogue Refiner is a lot like Wistful Selkie.

The problem is, they were all costed and balanced as though they were independent, and they're not. You play Attune then a Longtusk Cub and then a Rogue Refiner, that's 6 total energy so you have a creature that's getting Tarmogoyf levels of big for a 2-drop. But Attune still fixed your mana and Rogue Refiner is a 3/2 that replaced itself. Turn 1 attune, turn 2 Servant, Turn 3 Bristling Hydra, you have 3 energy left so it can activate twice making it super-hard to remove and it grows. Just don't spend the energy until you need to, and you make Harnessed Lightning that much scarier without having to commit to actually spending it.

The cards were made to work alone, but by working together, you get the best mana fixing, the best creatures, and the cheapest removal in the format.

How do you deal with that?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The actual problem with Attune is and Aether Hub is that energy is only deck that doesn’t take any serious penalty from playing 3 or more colors. Playing Confiscation Coup, Bristling Hydra and Glorybringer in a single deck is dumb when none of the other decks in the format can really do that. Context matters, because Attune isn’t Lay of the Land in context.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 6, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual problem with Attune is and Aether Hub is that energy only deck that doesn’t take any serious penalty from playing 3 or more colors.

That too! All the fixing is firmly in Energy's corner, and since you're already there, why not roll with it!

quote:

Confiscation Coup

I forgot about this one. It's costed like it's Mind Control, but it's a permanent change of control. When you pop Mind Control the creature comes back to you, but there's no way to reverse the absolute loss of momentum with Confiscation Coup.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

*6 months later*

hell yeah baby

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you feel thoughtseize is too powerful for standard you are part of the problem.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

playing 2 lands on turn 2 sure is a powerful way to ramp, tbh

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

If you feel thoughtseize is too powerful for standard you are part of the problem.

People are gonna stumble over themselves to say "but Devotion to Black" and "but Abzan," you know.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kurtofan posted:

It's been a while since I've played magic, can someone explain to me what's the big deal with energy and why it's such a problem?

The manabase is really, really bad for 2-color aggro decks, so people are playing either mono-red or 4-color midrange energy decks. The 4-color decks have more consistent manabases than the 2-color aggro decks because energy has all the good mana fixing.

That they didn't bother reprinting the Innistrad check lands in Rivals is bizarre to me. Come on WotC get your poo poo together. Like I don't see how the tribal decks are going to be playable at all when Kaladesh rotates and takes away the enemy fast lands.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

People are gonna stumble over themselves to say "but Devotion to Black" and "but Abzan," you know.

I don’t think anyone ever seriously considered banning anything while Thoughtseize was legal.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

I don’t think anyone ever seriously considered banning anything while Thoughtseize was legal.

Remember when people cried about Siege Rhino?

Good times.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The manabase is really, really bad for 2-color aggro decks, so people are playing either mono-red or 4-color midrange energy decks. The 4-color decks have more consistent manabases than the 2-color aggro decks because energy has all the good mana fixing.

That they didn't bother reprinting the Innistrad check lands in Rivals is bizarre to me. Come on WotC get your poo poo together. Like I don't see how the tribal decks are going to be playable at all when Kaladesh rotates and takes away the enemy fast lands.

They seem to like one set of untapped dual lands for each color at a time these days (although obviously not always) . Energy is the one deck that doesn’t have to play a bunch of taplands to fix it’s mana if it wants multiple colors.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Good times.

For all its many merits, KTK standard did press the G/x(/x) midrange button a little bit harder than might be best practice. I remember right after Fate Reforge came out and there was some horrible event with GW mirror matches trying to bore each other to death with value. It's just that usually there were other interesting options.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Good times.

The snowball was a feelbad but that was also the era in which you could just play Hero’s Downfall to kill anything that bugged you enough. What exactly do you do now when Glorybringer comes down? (Harnessed Lightning...played by the Glorybringer deck of course)

I don’t get why Banishing Light mysteriously became too powerful for standard either.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

The snowball was a feelbad but that was also the era in which you could just play Hero’s Downfall to kill anything that bugged you enough. What exactly do you do now when Glorybringer comes down?

I don’t get why Banishing Light mysteriously became too powerful for standard either.

Black losing Grasp of Darkness allowed Glory-B to run unchecked.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Enemy lands in Dominaria?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dear lord, on GP Coverage the Storm player has Baral out against lil' Thalia. Taxes player plays Leonin Arbiter, and at the end of turn Storm player casts Pyretic Ritual into Gifts Ungiven.

and puts both cards into the graveyard because they didn't pay for Arbiter

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Black losing Grasp of Darkness allowed Glory-B to run unchecked.

Grasp was never intended to be legal at the same time as Glorybringer. The intent was always that you are intended hold up 4 mana to stop it.

And sure Fatal Push is legal but in Standard Fatal Push is basically just Shock but for the fact that Longtusk Cub still dies to it even when it’s a 6/6 2-drop.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 6, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Enemy lands in Dominaria?

Surely they'll just print the reliably good pain lands in Dominaria.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Dear lord, on GP Coverage the Storm player has Baral out against lil' Thalia. Taxes player plays Leonin Arbiter, and at the end of turn Storm player casts Pyretic Ritual into Gifts Ungiven.

As a taxes player who has had that happen- it feels SO good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

What makes you think they would do that?

They’re going to print some kind of enemy ETB tapped land cycle if I had to guess based on history.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 6, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

What makes you think they would do that?

They’re going to print some kind of enemy ETB tapped land cycle if I had to guess based on history.

Dominaria is only 269 cards so I'm actually real concerned that there'll actually be enough dual lands to allow the format to function.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

oh wait no i'm not i don't give a poo poo about standard

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

As a taxes player who has had that happen- it feels SO good.

It's on the same level as blanking out fetches and ghost quarters turned into strip mines :unsmith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Anyone else noticed how little they are showing standard on camera at the team gp?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

This rules

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Dominaria is only 269 cards so I'm actually real concerned that there'll actually be enough dual lands to allow the format to function.

There is a Core Set after Dominaria.

I read a design comment the other day that originally that set was a second large set on Dominaria. They were initially concerned that Dominaria as a plane had no real identity beyond nostalgia, but apparently they came up with so much that they expect to make it a regular return candidate unless it bombs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

anybody got a chart or something of how rotation works through the rest of the year?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
An intern at SCG should cut out and compile all of Sullivan's card evaluations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

anybody got a chart or something of how rotation works through the rest of the year?