Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey, can you unstrap the pads and give me a detailed look at the leg channel? It almost looks like there's a leg channel guide (sort of like what Vaughn does) under the calf flaps. I much prefer a bare leg channel, but it certainly wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. I don't know if DS does custom orders, but if they do I would definitely ask for a bare leg channel.

Also, if only I had $700 I'd order a set right now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I took a nice shot off the inner thigh at the end of warmups last night. If the current size of the bruise is any indication, my entire thigh will be purple by Wednesday morning.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

Joey, can you unstrap the pads and give me a detailed look at the leg channel? It almost looks like there's a leg channel guide (sort of like what Vaughn does) under the calf flaps. I much prefer a bare leg channel, but it certainly wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. I don't know if DS does custom orders, but if they do I would definitely ask for a bare leg channel.

Also, if only I had $700 I'd order a set right now :(

Here ya go. I've never had a leg channel guide before, but I guess I'll find out if I like it or not.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Joey Walnuts posted:

...boner time.
BOING.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Blech. I'm getting super frustrated with my beer league team. We lose every single game by one goal. Either I play my head off and we lose 1-0 or I let in two softies and we lose 3-2 or 5-4. In four shootouts (5+ rounds each) I've let in a total of six goals and won once. Tonight I let in one admittedly nice shot but that I saw the whole way from the top of the circle over my shoulder (went down for an eye-high shot and started dropping my glove, ugh), a five-hole shot in close where I was thinking pass, and the go-ahead goal with 19 seconds left on a back door where my desperation dive failed.

It's very frustrating because I see so many improvements all over my game with zero results in terms of wins. Tonight I had a ton of great saves where I'm learning to use butterfly pushes where I'd be flopping around before. Had an awesome almost-splits push over to the opposite post to rob someone on a rebound with my glove over my toe. I feel like a bit of an rear end because my team is still in decent spirits after the game while I'm often absolutely steaming, more often at my one or two personal screwups than the others on my team.

In less bitter :cry: news, I tried something new from the PH 3 DVD tonight that I love so far. He talks about how dangerous it is to be thinking about anything other than the moment during play. He said he likes to turn around and face his net during breaks to drink/adjust equipment and reflect on plays. Every once in awhile skate to the corner and back and give yourself some positive advice (active stick, shopping cart hands, explosive movements, etc.). Once you get in the habit, you can completely clear your head when you're facing play. It worked very well tonight. I'd catch myself thinking about something while play was at the other end and just force myself to start concentrating on possible breakouts or turnovers or something currently happening. I was able to be a ton more vocal and help my team on breakouts and quick ups too since I was seeing the ice better.

Volume 3 PHT is the best ever.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Here ya go. I've never had a leg channel guide before, but I guess I'll find out if I like it or not.

Nice pads. Are you going to be at open hockey on Friday?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Nice pads. Are you going to be at open hockey on Friday?

I'm gonna try. Friday's have been packed lately. I called in 2 hours early last week and I was the 4th goalie.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

I'm gonna try. Friday's have been packed lately. I called in 2 hours early last week and I was the 4th goalie.

I already emailed Nate about reserving a spot. I'll still call early Monday morning if I haven't heard back from him.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know if/where I can get pads reupholstered? I have navy pants, navy Vaughn Vector gloves and the matching pads, but in black. I'm OCDing over it, and if I can change the black to navy on the pads for a decent price, I'd jump at it. I'm in southern Ontario, if this helps any.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
:woop::woop::woop::woop:

My X-Pulse combo arrived yesterday (funnily enough there's still no record of them on the Aus Air Express website, but I've got them now so whatever). Feels so comfortable, the padded protection on the inside of the knees are fantastic. Then again I don't have anything to compare it to so take that for what it's worth!

No idea how tight/loose to tie everything but just did up the two ankle straps as tight as possible, the calf ones to a snug fit and the top ones as tight as they would go, which is still ridiculously loose.. I'm wondering if I'm strapping them up correctly or not, whether I'll need to punch some more holes further down the strap or if they're fine and I just need to get out and play in them to see what it's like.

The glove and blocker feel really comfortable and very protective. Heaps better than the old seconds I tried on in the shop. I currently have a huge rubber band ball propping open my glove because it was almost completely shut when I got it out of the packaging and was quite stiff to open up with my hand in there.

I'll post some photos later tonight when I get home.

Is there stuff I should be spraying on these, like leather conditioner or something? I imagine they pre-treat it during manufacture but I'm very protective of my new babies :3: My mates are already asking when they can drive golf balls at me.

:woop::woop::woop::woop:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forgot which X-Pulse combo you bought, but honestly the number one thing I can recommend for a new pair of pads is to pick up a roll of electrical tape that best matches your pad's base colour and lay down two or three layers on the toe sides that will make contact with the ice when you butterfly.

Tape is replaceable and looks decent, especially when you get some that matches your pad's base colour. Much better to apply it now than when the leather starts wearing off due to contact with the ice.

Oh god, so loving sleepy and I have hockey in an hour and a half. I'm never going to make it without some serious caffeine boost :suicide:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

You definitely want the straps looser. The only one I describe as snug is the very bottom calf strap on my pads. From there up they are loose looser and downright floppy. I started with mine way too tight and learned the ways.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
While we're on the subject of putting on pads, how exactly should I be handling my thigh boards? Should they be going over or under my pants? Either way I try it seems like once in every few butterflies* my pants will end up stuck... "on top" of them? Like one of the top corners of the thigh board will be outside my pants, with the other on the inside, and I have to shake it loose.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?

(edit) *After getting UP from the butterfly, there's no issue going down or I would have had this sorted way sooner!

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 24, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have never once been able to wear thighboards without having them ride up into my pants or do something awkward. I took the thighboads off my RBKs on the subway ride home from the goalie store. I have no idea how people manage to wear theirs without feeling the rage of a thousand suns/

Seriously, get a pair of kneepads and ditch the thighboards when you can afford it. You'll be glad you did when you take a shot off the side of the knee where the thighboard doesn't protect anyway :3:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

My thighboards go way over my pants and are awesome. The one gripe I have about my Itech 9.8s is that the pads don't seal together well at all (no breaks), so I need the boards.

I can't imagine anywhere near the knee where I could get hit. I have a deep knee channel and knee locks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just force your pads into an S-curve. It'll only take a week or two.

Also no break on mine when I first got them, but they kept their S-curve really well. It's obviously not that exaggerated when I untied the pads, but you get the idea.

I should add that I keep them upside down in the garage with weights on the toes between games, so they don't really get a chance to straighten out except for on the ice.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

gigabitnokie posted:

While we're on the subject of putting on pads, how exactly should I be handling my thigh boards? Should they be going over or under my pants? Either way I try it seems like once in every few butterflies* my pants will end up stuck... "on top" of them? Like one of the top corners of the thigh board will be outside my pants, with the other on the inside, and I have to shake it loose.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?

(edit) *After getting UP from the butterfly, there's no issue going down or I would have had this sorted way sooner!

They should go over your pads but yes it's very common for thigh boards to get stuck on pants. It's not that big of an issue to just knock them loose with your glove though and it becomes second nature after a certain point.

That said, I used to have thighboards on my V2's and once those got stolen I replaced them with a pair of 7700's that came with kneepads and I much prefer the kneepads.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 24, 2010

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

ManicJason posted:

My thighboards go way over my pants and are awesome. The one gripe I have about my Itech 9.8s is that the pads don't seal together well at all (no breaks), so I need the boards.

I can't imagine anywhere near the knee where I could get hit. I have a deep knee channel and knee locks.

Thats so weird, because my RX7s do a great job with that, and have great bend to them. Straight outta the box too.

My thighboards also are high above my pants, so it's never an issue either. First set of pads I had with them, and they've saved me a few times already.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I was playing against someone who took out their thighboards. He kneeled down to block a shot and took one directly in the knee.. It was painful to watch him skate off the ice. My thighboards were annoying at first but I got used to them. They very rarely get stuck anymore because I figured out how to move in them.. but if they do, when I stand up I just bend my knee back real fast and they come out of my pants.. no big deal really. I can't say they have actuality ever seen a puck, but I just have a feeling if I take them out I will take a puck to the knee.

I really need a new glove.. and I only have one stick.. this is a problem.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

aejix posted:

My mates are already asking when they can drive golf balls at me.

This reminds me of the time I had a friend who pitched baseball in high school throw pucks at me. Do this if you want to ruin your confidence. He was throwing from the blue line-ish area and I think I stopped 1 or 2 out of 10 :(

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Maybe it's because I play baseball/softball, but I don't see that being that hard...

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Maybe it's because I play baseball/softball, but I don't see that being that hard...

I'm guessing the angle hosed with him more than the speed. I played catcher for a while so it'd be no sweat, but for somebody that's not used to it that could definitely suck.

Thanks for the words, everyone, on thigh boards/knee pads. I'm gonna prance around here in my pads some more and see if I can get used to flicking the boards out from under my pants until I can get some knee pads. I store my pads crunched underneath the second drawer of my dresser to get them nice and 'S' like :)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

When I put my trapper on the ice to freeze the puck, the web sort of sits up so that the glove doesn't really sit flush with the ice. I have to use my stick to sort of fill the space...

This isn't normal, is it? Is there some silly thing I'm not doing? It really seems like companies wouldn't make a trapper that didn't sit flush with the ice...

(It's a TPS R5, by the way. I'm happy with it, aside from this.)

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I'm not exactly sure what you're describing but you should pretty much always put your the paddle/blade of your stick in front of your glove if you cover it on the ice. If nothing else it prevents people from poking the puck loose.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Throw your trapper on right now and see how it looks if you push down on your carpet with your fingers instead of the heel/palm of your hand. I'm thinking that might be the issue, my trapper is the same way.

Oh and I couldn't replicate my thigh board problem, but I think I figured it out. I like having my suspenders going over my c/a, but I didn't loosen them enough to compensate for the added height in my shoulders. Loosening the suspenders a touch brings my pants down low enough to where I don't have to worry about my thigh boards getting under my pants. :woop:

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 25, 2010

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Just force your pads into an S-curve.

Wondering if I should do this to my pads or not... probably not a good idea until I've played in them and know if they need it or not. They don't have the break at the top either (I'll get around to posting some photos of them soon) and I haven't used any other type of pad before so no idea if they're going to be really stiff or supple.

Also thanks for the advice about the electrical tape - guy in the shop looked at me very weird when I walked in with my blocker to match the colours right (easier to carry a blocker around than a whole pad).

My housemate was telling me to spray leather conditioner on the whole combo (only because he played baseball for 10 years and did that to all of his catching gloves) but I don't know if they need it or not.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're describing but you should pretty much always put your the paddle/blade of your stick in front of your glove if you cover it on the ice. If nothing else it prevents people from poking the puck loose.
No, if the puck's moving toward you at all your paddle needs to be behind your catcher.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

coldwind posted:

When I put my trapper on the ice to freeze the puck, the web sort of sits up so that the glove doesn't really sit flush with the ice. I have to use my stick to sort of fill the space...

This isn't normal, is it? Is there some silly thing I'm not doing? It really seems like companies wouldn't make a trapper that didn't sit flush with the ice...

My Itech does this. The T-trap doesn't sit flush with the ice. It's not a big deal as long as you're aware of it. You're not doing anything wrong.

I always instinctively throw my stick in front of my glove as long as the puck, as manicjason said, is not actually moving towards me.

aejix posted:

Wondering if I should do this to my pads or not... probably not a good idea until I've played in them and know if they need it or not. They don't have the break at the top either (I'll get around to posting some photos of them soon) and I haven't used any other type of pad before so no idea if they're going to be really stiff or supple.

Also thanks for the advice about the electrical tape - guy in the shop looked at me very weird when I walked in with my blocker to match the colours right (easier to carry a blocker around than a whole pad).

My housemate was telling me to spray leather conditioner on the whole combo (only because he played baseball for 10 years and did that to all of his catching gloves) but I don't know if they need it or not.

I wanted that S-curve to begin with, so I knew I was going to do it anyway, but yeah -- throw it in the vice if you want. As far as spraying poo poo on your pads, I personally wouldn't bother. Chances are that it's synthetic leather anyway. No probs on the tape thing. It's just a little thing to keep pads going. Sometimes it looks a little ghetto when the tape starts to wear out, but personally I don't really care -- you can just reapply the tape later :3:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2010

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

No probs on the tape thing. It's just a little thing to keep pads going. Sometimes it looks a little ghetto when the tape starts to wear out, but personally I don't really care -- you can just reapply the tape later :3:
Why electrical tape, out of curiosity?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

Throw your trapper on right now and see how it looks if you push down on your carpet with your fingers instead of the heel/palm of your hand. I'm thinking that might be the issue, my trapper is the same way.
If I push down on the carpet with my fingers, it comes down enough to stop a puck from leaving. Of course, that's because the carpet compress. On an incompressible surface, like my desk or ice, no such luck. There's just a huge hole out back by the cuff.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me why you would not have the trapper seal against the ice. I don't think it would save that much money.

It's not a big enough deal that I regret buying it, but it is a big enough deal that I wouldn't buy it again. Does that make any sense?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

coldwind posted:

Why electrical tape, out of curiosity?

Because it's rubber-ish and seems to stick really well despite the moisture. That and you can get it in a lot of colours :3:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

ManicJason posted:

No, if the puck's moving toward you at all your paddle needs to be behind your catcher.

True. I guess "pretty much always" is an overstatement. I was referring more to when a puck hits you and drops to the ice and/or you have to gather it into yourself.

Edit: coldwind, how long have you had the glove? I know sometimes new gloves that aren't broken in much don't open as much as they should, which might not allow it to sit (as) flush along the ice as it should.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 25, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Is the trapper completely broken in? While I was in the process of breaking in my new one (Bauer/Itech XR8) I'd alternate nights between having it pressed shut and pressed open. The nights after it was pressed shut it wouldn't open all the way without considerable effort.

It's still not broken in all the way, but it definitely seals tight enough to the ice that I'd be surprised if a puck squeaked out. It isn't completely flush with the ice all the way around though unless I really stand on it. I'm just happy I can finally close it 100% instead of the 80-90% I was working with for the first few weeks.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

I'm guessing the angle hosed with him more than the speed.

Yep, this and he could throw some wicked curve with the pucks. I'd have it lined up with my blocker and it would take a dive about half way to the net and just totally handcuff me. It's insane how much movement there can be on a thrown puck.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Lets say for my roller blades I wanted to take off some wheels to lighten them up. Which ones would I want to take off? I'm thinking of leaving on the very first and then the last two. Or should I just leave both end wheels on.. hmm.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Polish posted:

Lets say for my roller blades I wanted to take off some wheels to lighten them up. Which ones would I want to take off? I'm thinking of leaving on the very first and then the last two. Or should I just leave both end wheels on.. hmm.

Leave the first and last if you want the bare minimum. Jamming a spacer of some sort into the empty spots is recommended because if you take a puck off the chassis where there is no wheel it could bend it and gently caress everything up.

I don't know if it would be worth it though; you would lose a lot of friction for good side to side pushes. Although taking out just one probably wouldn't make much difference.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Side to side pushes in roller. Ha.

I think I'll leave on the first and the back two.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I had a roller game the first really warm day of the year two weeks ago; they still had the heat/humidifier on and it was seriously like someone poured water on the floor it was sweating so bad. My point is, strong pushes are pretty drat important :v:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Because it's rubber-ish and seems to stick really well despite the moisture. That and you can get it in a lot of colours :3:
Interesting...I was always told that electrical tape sucks at sticking to things. I believe it, too. I've never had much confidence in electrical tape unless it's being wrapped all the way around wires several times.

Have you tried hockey tape?

ManicJason posted:

Is the trapper completely broken in?
Yeah, I mean...it closes all the way pretty easy. Maybe it doesn't as wide as it possibly could, but it opens pretty wide. Sigh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

coldwind posted:

Interesting...I was always told that electrical tape sucks at sticking to things. I believe it, too. I've never had much confidence in electrical tape unless it's being wrapped all the way around wires several times.

Have you tried hockey tape?

I specifically avoided hockey tape because it's cloth based and I didn't want it holding water for whatever reason.

Electrical tape does peel up sometimes, but it sticks fine for the most part and is easily reapplied by just pushing it back onto the leather. In the end, it doesn't matter what you use -- it's just important to keep that part protected because it's probably the highest wear area on any given goalie pad. Most likely to be in contact with rough ice for extended periods of time.

• Locked thread