Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Just use Gandi or InternetBS. Namecheap has hosed me over in the past more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Another vote for Gandi.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Namecheap is just an enom reseller.

That doesn't really change anything, since the complaint was extraneous fees from enom - fees that namecheap doesn't transmit to their customers, at least not directly.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
As a Domain Reseller, I prefer Resellerclub over Enom for domains. I use Enom for SSL and other non domain services though.
Their customer support is quick and seems to be US based for the most part or is not blatantly India.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Biowarfare posted:

Namecheap has hosed me over in the past more than once.

What did they do?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Been seeing a shitload of singlehop ads lately - good/bad?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

My website got hacked (wordpress) the hacker seems to change almost every 6-12 hours, I removed everything off the FTP and it's still showing as hacked so I can only assume it's server side. I have hosting with Cool Handle, and they're being supreme dicks about it support side.

I have no idea what to do now, should I just switch hosting?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If it is shared hosting, there might be someone on the share who is compromised giving them access to the whole thing. There might also be something in your database so make sure that's okay. If their support sucks, it is a good incentive to move because there will be other problems eventually. What exactly is telling you that it is hacked?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The website is redirected or just overwritten by hack signs

quote:

Hacked By BlackDefacer78 Contact ; fb.com/harun.ozdemir.7169 spyturk.com

Hacked by Redspy

Hacked by Virtual

Hacked By : ZerooNegative Ks

Hacked By Kzsg Ajanlar.org Mucked :D

Hacked By : Madboy - Al

Those are all the hacked by notes that my website displays. At this point I've literally removed absolutely everything from my website and it's still showing up as "Hacked by: Madboy - Al" so I'm beyond my depth on this sort of thing.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Syfe posted:

Those are all the hacked by notes that my website displays. At this point I've literally removed absolutely everything from my website and it's still showing up as "Hacked by: Madboy - Al" so I'm beyond my depth on this sort of thing.
Check your .htaccess file, hackers like to add poo poo 200 lines below what is visible so at a glance it looks empty.
Also, that file is usually hidden by most FTP clients by default, so you might not see it without making changes. You may use your file manager in the control panel to find that as well.
Any host worth the monthly payment should at least do that much for you since it is in their best interest to not host hacked sites.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Syfe posted:

Check you've not been DNS hijacked.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Check you've not been DNS hijacked.

I just checked that and that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'd also like to note that it's not the htaccess file because I've removed everything from the base of my website. That's all gone, it's still showing as hacked, now it's a really fancy hack page that has moving text, previously my website would show up behind it before moving to a white page with some text. So my domain register shows no redirects, there is absolutely nothing on the base of my website anymore, no wordpress, I'm convinced it has to be server side, though they still haven't gotten back to me on that.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 14, 2013

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What is your website? That seems to indicate it is a DNS hijacking, or at least that your web URL is no longer pointing to a HTTP server that is serving that folder.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If it's shared host, you could use a reverse DNS tool to see which other sites are on the same machine. See if they've been hacked too (i.e. if the entire machine has been compromised)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Just cut your losses and get off Coolhandle, they look poo poo anyway

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

The website is https://www.pixelizedreality.com

At this point I have nothing of my own on the ftp, except for the cpanel basics, no databases, no wordpress, nothing.

The website just shows some fancy hack stuff, it's awful and I'm pissed because after throwing out a support ticket they told me it was my wordpress, which I removed and that didn't make a difference. So I removed everything, still didn't make a difference and they haven't addressed my second support ticket. I'm going to have to do some research into better hosting services.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it doesn't look like DNS. It looks like it's at the web server level. Every page on that domain is serving a redirect to another domain. Could be in your cPanel settings, your host's settings, or maybe something along the lines of htaccess. In any case you should probably just switch to another host if they're being so useless!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Syfe posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

The website is https://www.pixelizedreality.com

At this point I have nothing of my own on the ftp, except for the cpanel basics, no databases, no wordpress, nothing.

The website just shows some fancy hack stuff, it's awful and I'm pissed because after throwing out a support ticket they told me it was my wordpress, which I removed and that didn't make a difference. So I removed everything, still didn't make a difference and they haven't addressed my second support ticket. I'm going to have to do some research into better hosting services.

Uhh, get out now!!!

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/
Found 91 domains hosted on the same web server as pixelizedreality.com (184.170.149.132).

Every site I clicked on is either suspended, inactive or hacked the same as yours.
affiliate-market.info
flowerbrides.com
marketing2oursuccess.com

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

Uhh, get out now!!!

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/
Found 91 domains hosted on the same web server as pixelizedreality.com (184.170.149.132).

Every site I clicked on is either suspended, inactive or hacked the same as yours.
affiliate-market.info
flowerbrides.com
marketing2oursuccess.com

Whelp, time to go shopping, good thing I have a backup of my website. So there should be no issues migrating to a different server, but goddamn.

Thanks for all the help in figuring this out.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Syfe posted:

Whelp, time to go shopping, good thing I have a backup of my website. So there should be no issues migrating to a different server, but goddamn.

Thanks for all the help in figuring this out.

Since your site was hacked, you won't want to migrate anything. You're going to want to start out with a fresh new account. Install wordpress, create your email accounts and install your theme. You can backup and restore your database, but I would not trust any of the files that were in your old account without checking each and every one before uploading to the new server.

Best of luck to you!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I used http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/ to look up other sites on the same machine. A few had dodgy looking domains I didn't click, a bunch of them crap with errors about a missing load.php in the wordpress includes, and a few have been hacked with either the same page displaying or something about a Syrian hacker group.

Cut your losses and run.

* edit beaten using the same tool *

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

Since your site was hacked, you won't want to migrate anything. You're going to want to start out with a fresh new account. Install wordpress, create your email accounts and install your theme. You can backup and restore your database, but I would not trust any of the files that were in your old account without checking each and every one before uploading to the new server.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks,

well, my backup is from way back in August and I'll certainly double check all the files before putting them back up. I'd just hate to lose all the work I put into personalizing my website theme.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GoDaddy just bought MediaTemple.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
and in doing so, destroyed the only good thing MT actually had: brand association

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Bob Morales posted:

GoDaddy just bought MediaTemple.

What's the general thought on MT as a service / company? Is this a good thing for them or not?
I don't hear much about MT hosting or services so I am genuinely curious.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My last (small) company used mediatemple for email service and it was horrible. They're a decent web host I guess.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

DarkLotus posted:

What's the general thought on MT as a service / company? Is this a good thing for them or not?

The impression I used to get from reviews is that they are overpriced/overmarketed and somewhat underwhelming in terms of performance.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My apache error.log is full of this:

code:
[Tue Oct 15 12:45:01 2013] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] File does not exist: /mydomain.com/vxxigg
Hundreds of times a day, from different IPs, all looking for that file / directory.

mydomain.com has been empty for years apart from an index.html.

I googled "vxxigg" and it turns out that there are loads of Chinese websites linking to http://mydomain.com/vxxigg/ with a caption about the benefits of eating raw food (:confused:).

Did someone just make a typo that keeps getting spread around? Could it possibly be anything to worry about? Can I do anything about it?

e:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Throw up an adsense landing page?

oh hey, that's a good idea. :v:

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 16, 2013

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Throw up an adsense landing page?

I got a similar thing for months thanks to Russian illegal movie streaming sites that were trying to image leech an image but just copied *.jp instead of *.jpg

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

DarkLotus posted:

I used them for a few years. Their service was solid and fairly reliable, and their control panel was nice. However, it took them forever to update their poo poo (it wasn't until mid-2009 when they finally upgraded to MySQL 5!), and performance wasn't anything to write home about. Furthermore, they promised something called the Cluster Server for years that would succeed the Grid Service (better performance, more stable, etc.), but it never happened. I got fed up a couple years ago and migrated to Linode and haven't turned back.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Alright IIS newbie here with a vague question.

I've recently been pulled in to help with our web department's IIS woes. The web department being a single web developer with minimal server experience. We have a few dedicated IIS servers, not running in any kind of farm, as well as a hosted SQL database from our web host. One of our sites, our largest, has its own IIS box dedicated to it. It is 8Gb RAM, 4 virtual CPUs, 100Meg NIC. We are running IIS pretty much on defaults as I know the developer didn't tweak anything.

The site in question grinds to a crawl when we get a bit above 6000 concurrent users (650 GET/sec). It has gone as high as 16000 concurrent at times at which point the 100Meg NIC usually caps out and it gets even worse. NIC issues aside, we are trying to find out why this is happening around 6000, when the NIC is only about half-maxxed. Is that an unreasonable amount of traffic for a single IIS server? I know there are so many variables but just ballpark I'm talking. The site is a news site with images, advertisements, and articles. It pulls a fair bit from the SQL database which is hosted on another server, but during one of these slowdowns, the SQL database seems to respond quickly for other sites using it so that seems to imply SQL isn't the bottleneck.

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle
Just got this from HostHop. Weren't they Goon ran or at least didn't they post on the forums or something?

quote:

Due to sudden and unexpected circumstances the following IP's will experience a NETWORK WIDE OUTAGE THAT WILL LAST AN INDETERMINATE AMOUNT OF TIME.

It is URGENT that all data is backed up at once - there may be less than 24 hours in which to save your data.

Any data that is not backed up will no longer be accessible.

The IP range that will be affected is the following;

206.253.*.* (Any IP that starts with 206.253) If you have another IP out of this range, it is highly recommended to backup those IP's as well - immediately.

***ALL CLIENTS WITH DATA HOSTED WITHIN THESE IP'S ARE URGED TO BACK UP DATA AND RELOCATE SERVICES***

NOTE!! Do not create support tickets or other emails regarding the outage. Correspondances WILL NOT BE ANSWERED! This includes phone calls.

There will be no support available however, ALL NETWORK FIREWALLS have been disabled to ease with your backups and movement.

No Server or Network Admins will be available. An update to this matter will be posted within 72 hours at https://www.hosthop.com. Please visit that site for further information.

The Management and Staff of Hop Networks expresses sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by this sudden and unavoidable circumstance.

Thank you for your years of loyal patronage to Hop Networks.

Please visit hosthop.com in 72 hours for further information.

Uh. How lovely is this? "THOSE IP'S ARE GOING OFFLINE AND THERE AIN'T NO WAY WE'LL TELL YOU WHY!"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

RiSK posted:

Just got this from HostHop. Weren't they Goon ran or at least didn't they post on the forums or something?

Uh. How lovely is this? "THOSE IP'S ARE GOING OFFLINE AND THERE AIN'T NO WAY WE'LL TELL YOU WHY!"

The FBI are about to image their servers so they're pulling a lavabit*. Or more likely, some kind of admin incompetence.

*pure speculation.

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 17, 2013

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
We get subpenas from government organizations every once in a while. The one time we had DHS actually come in and seize a drive, we are told never to let the target know. It's probably something stupid like they rent servers from someone not in the top if the chain and are getting shafted for something they can't control.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
It sounds like they are quitting business, by force maybe. This happened to webspacedepot.com a while back. I had rented a couple of VPS servers for DNS servers and one day my servers went down without notice and they never came back up. They were goon run or at least a goon worked for them and had a thread in SA-Mart.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Incoming idiot question:

I'm looking for a way to move stuff to my own server. Here's the thing: I have my own domain and I'm looking to get exchange server hosting set up for e-mail and calendar. And if I get one, will it be "turn-key"? Can I just point my domain to them and then start synching my crap or do I have to administer a shitload of stuff?

Any tips for a provider? Pref. in the EU but not a must if the speeds are alright.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
lol gently caress netsol/register/web.com idiots

quote:

You recently requested an auth code to transfer your "xxxx" domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Having a mindboggling DNS issue.

Just moved to a new host. I'm the server admin. All files are uploaded. 3 of 4 domain names working fine after DNS changes.

(please ignore the godawful no-fills design)

Domain 1: http://theditch.biz

Domain 2: http://theditch.us

Domain 3: http://theditch.com
Status: Appears to be an exact copy of theditch.biz despite having different content and files on the server. It has been several hours.

I have checked everything on .com about a hundred times. Both .us and .com don't have subdomains, so their DNS info on the server should be the same except for .com/.us, and they are. The file manager for .com on the server shows the right files. The registry (on godaddy) has my newly-created nameservers.

I will note that .com was formerly a subdomain of .biz, and thus had the same nameserver. Maybe somehow that change hasn't processed yet... but then why would it become a mirror of theditch.biz? And as I say, it has been several hours since the switch. Furthermore, theditch.us was also a subdomain on the same nameserver and it's fine after the change.

Where might I have gone wrong?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you're using apache there might be an error in httpd.conf, copy and paste it somewhere like pastie.org and we can look it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good email hosting service for a small business? Think like a 5 person real estate office. I've heard good things about google apps/gmail but we all use Outlook pretty extensively so I'm not sure it would be the best idea. Considering Office 365 as well but not sure if we need all the extra features that are built in to it. Would something like GoDaddy work? We aren't looking for anything fancy, but with our current hosting, we get bouncebacks for some of our outgoing emails because they are marked as spam by the incoming server.