Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've just been going through all of the releases that I've collected over the course of 2014 and I've got to say it's been a great year for D&B. Here are some of my favourite tracks to cap the year off:

Calibre - Honey Dew (Shelflife 3 - Signature Records SIGCD010)
Noisia - Running Blind (Purpose EP - Vision Recordings VSN018)
Logistics - No Hurry Time (Polyphony - Hospital Records NHS258CD)
The Prototypes - Lights (Pale Blue Dot - Viper Recordings VPR058)
State Of Mind & Black Sun Empire - Unconscious (Mr. Cover Up - Blackout Music NL BLCKTNL005)
The Upbeats - Stay Late (Lost & Found - Not On Label, available for free on SoundCloud)
Int Company & Rusty K - Kric (Kric / Clinic - Close 2 Death Recordings C2D014)
Ulterior Motive - Open Up (The Fourth Wall - Metalheadz METACD004)
Icicle Feat. Skittles - Problem (Entropy - Shogun Audio SHACD010)
Mefjus - Hybrid (Emulation - Critical Music CRITLP07D)
Mefjus Feat. Dope D.O.D. - Godzilla (Emulation - Critical Music CRITLP07D)
State Of Mind - U Control Me (Eat The Rich - Blackout Music NL BLCKTNL007)
The Prototypes - Don't Let Me Go (Don't Let Me Go / Humanoid - Viper Recordings VPR061)
Dom & Roland - Mind Feeders (Mindscape Remix) (Dom & Roland Productions Remix Album - Dom & Roland Productions DRPLP004D)
S.P.Y. Feat. BCee - Stardust (Back To Basics Chapter Two - Hospital Records NHS260CD)
Pythius - Vermin (Abandon - Blackout Music NL BLCKTNL012)

Bring on 2015 :toot:

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
That'll be a nice selection to pound through. I came here to post Juno's list, it's good to see someone else's. So yeah, Juno's Top 30. Pretty interesting selection, a fairly large focus on jungle-y type stuff, with a few tracks in there that would look more at home in the above list.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ewW3aSBGIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nswe73umPQk

Jippa fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Black Sun Empire and State Of Mind are releasing an EP on the 25th: Until The World Ends. Two tracks have been revealed already and they are insane:

Jack Nicholson
Until The World Ends

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

cheese-cube posted:

Black Sun Empire and State Of Mind are releasing an EP on the 25th: Until The World Ends. Two tracks have been revealed already and they are insane:

Jack Nicholson
Until The World Ends

What makes these tracks any different than any other generic drum and bass that comes out nowadays? I don't get it, it's all the same song. I haven't been impressed in a while. Om unit and Fracture are like the only dudes doing anything cool nowadays. Someone please show me something interesting because I like playing drum and bass, but I why would I buy any of these tracks when they sound the exact same as my records from 1997. I would love to be absolutely wrong right now, so someone show me something.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Dubplate Fire posted:

What makes these tracks any different than any other generic drum and bass that comes out nowadays? I don't get it, it's all the same song. I haven't been impressed in a while. Om unit and Fracture are like the only dudes doing anything cool nowadays. Someone please show me something interesting because I like playing drum and bass, but I why would I buy any of these tracks when they sound the exact same as my records from 1997. I would love to be absolutely wrong right now, so someone show me something.

You might dig stuff by Deft, Danny Scrilla, Moresounds, Sam Binga, even some of Alix Perez's recent work, and the Ivy Lab guys and their solo stuff (Stray, Halogenix, and Sabre). Their podcasts exposed me to Darkhouse Fam. All of those guys are related in various ways too. Om Unit's Cosmic Bridge label turns up some stuff that's new to me, grabbed the Graphs EP a few weeks ago. And dBridge's Exit label covers a lot of ground.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm kind of in the same boat :smith: Not that no new drum & bass stuff that comes out is enjoyable to me, but nothing I've heard from at least the past year or 2 has particularly impressed me a whole lot. I still love the stuff I've been listening to for years, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of new DNB material coming out nowadays that does anything really creative with the genre.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
:siren: CLASSIC LOGISTICS ALERT :siren:

Russ Chimes - We Need Nothing To Collide (Logistics Remix)
http://youtu.be/aqJIJLT3KPs

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

zeldadude posted:

:siren: CLASSIC LOGISTICS ALERT :siren:

Russ Chimes - We Need Nothing To Collide (Logistics Remix)
http://youtu.be/aqJIJLT3KPs

Tough crowd eh? Thats alright, I have a great new joke for you guys, hope you like it

High Contrast - When The Drums Come In

(Also when I say classic logistics alert I mean that he released a new song with that sound!)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Gonna make a new liquid mix this week. Check this track out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-N6gzDBlkA

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 27, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Brother and 4 of our mates supported Andy C and GQ in Sydney on Saturday. It was absolute madness.

State of Mind & Royalston played amazing sets. Royalston played some stuff of the new Hospital VA cd, no one had heard it before and went ape poo poo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Whoa I just found this :cool: Grooverider mix on Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/fabric/grooverider-bukem-in-session

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Did a 45 minute best of 2014 mix on my radio show last wednesday. We're usually 2-4 on the show each week and we had a 3 hour best of special.

Here's my set https://soundcloud.com/hausar/nightshock-best-of-2014

Tracklist:

DJ Trace - Sonar (Quartz Remix)
Response - SOS
Sunchase - Next Rhythm (Engage Remix)
The Sect & Dean Rodell - Set It Free
Skeptical - Tundra
Hypoxia - Badass
Billain - Autonomous
Mercedes - Full Tilt (Ulterior Motive Remix)
DLR - Novate
Dr Meaker (ft. Sian Evans) - Right Back (Break Remix)
Mutt & Kevin King - Conversations (Rene LaVice & Gremlinz Remix)
Loxy & Resound - Paradigms
Sonic - Headtop
Hybrid Minds - Meant To Be (InsideInfo Remix)
The Invaderz - Dream Is Over
Silent Witness - Fields
Optiv & BTK & Black Sun Empire - Heartshaped
Dom & Roland - Flux (Gridlok Remix)
Task Horizon (ft. MC Spyda) - Shattered Self
DJ Hybrid - Nothing Left
Rregula & Dementia - Doom Loop (Mefjus Remix)
Neonlight -Extrasolar
Maztek - Three Point Zero
Rusty K - The Savage

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did a new liquid, mostly jazzy mix, about 40 minutes

https://soundcloud.com/scott-jackson/scott-jackson-deep-dnb-2

LSB & Technimatic - Rotary Motion (Calibre remix) (Integral)
Blu Mar Ten - Remembered Her Wrong (Anile remix) (Blu Mar Ten Music)
Kharma Factory - Reflections (Kharma & Factory)
D-Fect - Jazz To Me (Modular Grid)
Flowrian - Midnight Jazz (Goodlooking)
Koil - Truth About Us (Modular Grid)
MSDOS - The Shalako (Subsid remix) (Liquid Drops)
Linguist - Happy Little Trees (Soul Flex Digital)
Phil Tangent - Contrition (Commercial Suicide)
S.P.Y. - Like a Dream (Innerground)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Spor's album Caligo is out, pay-what-you-can.

https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/spor

It's loving awesome.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Spor's album Caligo is out, pay-what-you-can.

https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/spor

It's loving awesome.

Seconding this, album is awesome. I had trouble downloading from the BT link and I'm assuming that it's meant to be a free release so for others here's a better link: http://kickass.to/spor-caligo-full-album-320kb-s-sv008-drum-bass-t10248331.html

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also saw about a mix here with unreleased tracks that aren't on the album, start it at the hour mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0524dnq

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Looks like someone hosed up at Neosignal/Beatport/Juno/Apple as Phace's new album Shape The Random has been leaked and is all over the place (Actual release date is 16th of March).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Royalston has thrown one of his tunes up for free download on Soundcloud, to commemorate losing our local favourite Sydney venue The Gladstone Hotel.
https://soundcloud.com/royalston/morning-girl-royalston

chucklepet
Jan 28, 2005

Your hair is falling out and your teeth have gone. Your legs are still together but it won't be long.

Vizzerdrix posted:

Mefjus's new LP (Emulation) is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQUJbewTMsk

If the rest of the LP is like this, then yes. Quite good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dub FX mc'd for my brother and his partner DJ Capture at a festival over the wekend, first video.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=353025771550331

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

New Reso album at the end of the month? Yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g0kscF3uJE

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Hell yes, that track sounds fantastic. I can't wait.

I put together another 40-track D&B mix the other day. Check it out.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 20, 2015

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Some awesome news for Australia/NZ peeps:

I saw BSE live in Perth several years ago and it was amazing so pretty psyched.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah my mates doing the Sydney show. Pretty sure it's not at HiFi anymore.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Misanthrop released a new EP under Blackout with amazing energy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5n0DD2Q5D8

Noisia has also released a new EP under Vision but it's very technical and is somewhat eclipsed by Misanthrop, IMO.

RIP YOSPOS D&B thread

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 21, 2015

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah I definitely prefer I Need More to Incessant.

Spun a new mix yesterday - OPERATIONS vol. 8. This one starts off with some heady dubstep but turns halfway through into yet another D&B journey with a big aggressive finale. Skip to 35:37 if you can't stand dubstep.

Reso - Interlude
Evol Intent - Middle of the Night (Bro Safari remix)
Airfee - Falling Together
Dillard - Closer to the Question
Saule & Subtle Mind - Omerta
Jhene Aiko - The Worst (Truth remix)
Balkansky - Cloud Maker
Truth - Medusa
Genetix - Inner Sanctum
Truth - Hysteria
DeDubros - Instigation
Biome - Cypher
Pixel Fist - Primal
Matt-U - Uncontrolled (VIP)
Demon - Chronik
Subversia - Rust
Numbernin6 & Zardonic - The Final Five (VIP)
Reso - Half-Life
Numbernin6 - She
Krimson - Jaguar
Nelver - Origin Source
Actraiser - Natural Evolution
Altitude - Cotton & China
Tough Love - So Freakin' Tight (S.P.Y remix)
Schematic - Your Love
Spor - If You Cry
Reso - What Is
Bungle - Fast Forward
Mystic State - Far Cry
Loxy, Resound & Skeptical - Choices
Tshabee - Dusk & Dawn (ft. Monika Emat)
Place 2B - Rivendeil
Reso - Coming Back to You
Noisia - Banshee
Misanthrop - I Need More
Bro Safari, UFO! & Beauty Brains - No Control (Dieselboy & Mark the Beast remix)
Davip - Deadly Blessing (Gydra remix)
Mind Vortex - Underworld
Hamilton - Feel the Fury
The Prototypes - Pop It Off (ft. Mad Hed City)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If you haven't already, check out Bensley's debut album. He's got a seriously fresh sound, I can see why RAM snapped him up so quickly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

If you haven't already, check out Bensley's debut album. He's got a seriously fresh sound, I can see why RAM snapped him up so quickly.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting all cynical but his "fresh sound" really just seems like he substituted the drums in the chorus with someone clicking their fingers. Also maybe I'm crazy but the rhythm of that track sounds very close to Flamenco by Sub Focus. Not going to say anything about the RAM PR blurb on the Soundcloud clip.

Don't get me wrong it's a pretty good track but it just feels gimmicky.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Unlike most other d'n'b you could easily get away with playing that track in a joint which doesn't usually go for d'n'b. It's pretty laid back, I like it.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Did a new mix for Expansion Broadcast, more on the drum machine and half-time vibe, with nods to jungle here & there.

http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/650/

Fracture x Sam Binga x Rider Shafique – “She Want It Ruff (Logos Space Jam)”
Fracture X Chimpo – “From Early (Fracture’s Reduction Mix)”
LEVELZ – “LVL 07”
Alix Perez, DJ Rashad & DJ Spinn – “Make It Worth”
Fracture – “Gripping Grain (Ft Sam Binga)”
Fixate – “Throwback Therapy”
Moresounds – “Reality Tune”
Baobinga & Kahn – “Original ft. Rider Shafique”
Om Unit & Moresounds – “Nuff Music”
Dawn Day Night – “Death Of Scorpio”
DJ Krust – “Burning”
Droppin’ Science – “Firin’ Line (Origin Unknown Sound FX Mix)”
Omni Trio – “Renegade Snares (Phillip D Kick Footwork Edit)”
Alix Perez & Stray – “RIP N DIP”
Zed Bias – “Shizam (Sam Binga Remix)”
Sully – “M141”
Moresounds – “Dead And Bury (ft. Fracture)”
DJ Rashad – “Let It Go“
Fracture X Chimpo – “Hard Food”
Sam Binga & Deft – “Steppin ft. Redders”
Alix Perez x DJ Rashad x DJ Spinn – “Don’t This Ish”
Chimpo – “Dumb (feat. Fixate)”
UZ feat. 12th Planet – “Trap poo poo V21 (Om Unit Remix)”
Boabinga & Guido – “Ice Black”
Graphs – ““Broken Legs”
Ed Rush – “Check Me Out”

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I've been gorging on D&B for the past two weeks thanks to this thread and various podcasts. I haven't listened to nearly enough of it through the years considering the first electronic music to really make me go :aaaaa: was Kemal & Rob Data's Messiah on Dieselboy's 6ixth Session CD which I bought on a whim when it came out. For the past few years I've pretty much only listened to Noisia, Spor, Black Sun Empire, and the Hospital podcast when I would remember it exists.

Is there a different name for a subgenre that sounds like Neurofunk but doesn't have the pitched up wet snares like Mefjus or Joe Ford? Their production skills are great but I just can't do those super squishy rimshot snares in almost every song.

Also I'm thinking of going to my first D&B night at a place in South FL but am worried I'll look like some old rear end man in a room full of kids. Is this unfounded considering the age and culture of the genre? They've got DJ Dara this Thursday which I can't make it to but from the reaction on the event page that looks like a big get.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FadedReality posted:

Also I'm thinking of going to my first D&B night at a place in South FL but am worried I'll look like some old rear end man in a room full of kids. Is this unfounded considering the age and culture of the genre? They've got DJ Dara this Thursday which I can't make it to but from the reaction on the event page that looks like a big get.

I'd say just go if you're curious. I'm 38, go to shows occasionally, although nowadays I don't like going solo because I think I won't know anyone at the venues. Could just be DC though, and the crowd tends to be mixed, definitely a few people older than me out (or just look it). Some shows end up being like dnb scene reunions. Went to see S.P.Y last night, went with a car full of friends, saw another 10 or so people I did not expect to see out.

As for the neurofunk question, there is probably a different name, but no idea. Check a site like UKF to see if they mention any producers and tie a name to what they do. It could be something as simple as someone like Mefjus, who tends to synthesis a lot of his main drum hits, vs. a similar technical sounding producer who uses a plug-in like Superior Drummer or Addictive Drums for their main drum hits, like Ulterior Motive or Reso.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FadedReality posted:

I've been gorging on D&B for the past two weeks thanks to this thread and various podcasts. I haven't listened to nearly enough of it through the years considering the first electronic music to really make me go :aaaaa: was Kemal & Rob Data's Messiah on Dieselboy's 6ixth Session CD which I bought on a whim when it came out. For the past few years I've pretty much only listened to Noisia, Spor, Black Sun Empire, and the Hospital podcast when I would remember it exists.

Is there a different name for a subgenre that sounds like Neurofunk but doesn't have the pitched up wet snares like Mefjus or Joe Ford? Their production skills are great but I just can't do those super squishy rimshot snares in almost every song.

Re neurofunk, checkout some of the other artists from BSE's label Blackout NL as well as artists from Bad Taste Recordings. Viper also has some good stuff occasionally.

Just been re-listening to some Billain EPs, he's like a weirdo echoing 2005 Current Value yet managing to not go full-retard. A nice tribute to old-school techstep though (Sort-of).

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

SUBFRIES posted:

I'd say just go if you're curious. I'm 38, go to shows occasionally, although nowadays I don't like going solo because I think I won't know anyone at the venues. Could just be DC though, and the crowd tends to be mixed, definitely a few people older than me out (or just look it). Some shows end up being like dnb scene reunions. Went to see S.P.Y last night, went with a car full of friends, saw another 10 or so people I did not expect to see out.

As for the neurofunk question, there is probably a different name, but no idea. Check a site like UKF to see if they mention any producers and tie a name to what they do. It could be something as simple as someone like Mefjus, who tends to synthesis a lot of his main drum hits, vs. a similar technical sounding producer who uses a plug-in like Superior Drummer or Addictive Drums for their main drum hits, like Ulterior Motive or Reso.

This eased my mind and now I'm really looking forward to going out and getting to feel that bass that my car's stock speakers try their damnedest to push.

I don't mind drum synthesis sometimes but I remember listening to a Neurofunk mix and I felt like that pitched up artificial snare sound was loving everywhere like it was the new hot thing to have in your song at the time.

cheese-cube posted:

Re neurofunk, checkout some of the other artists from BSE's label Blackout NL as well as artists from Bad Taste Recordings. Viper also has some good stuff occasionally.

Just been re-listening to some Billain EPs, he's like a weirdo echoing 2005 Current Value yet managing to not go full-retard. A nice tribute to old-school techstep though (Sort-of).

I followed some of these suggestions and looked around more on my own and Phace & Misanthrop (together and solo) are quickly becoming favorites. I haven't disliked a single thing I've heard from Bad Taste, Blackout, or Metalheadz. I've been listening to Misanthrop- I Need More and DJ Fresh- Gravity VIP almost every day and bought that Ministry of Sound- Anthems Drum & Bass compilation that came out a few months ago and have been trying to wrap my head around it.

I've also got a folder full of DJ mixes, some from this thread, that I want to get to but I really want that appreciation of recognizing each song as it comes. I feel like a giant tourist but it's fascinating that the genre has been around almost two decades and while it's evolved a lot, it hasn't mutated into something completely different (and worse) like most music tends to. That tracks from the early 90s go just as hard as any current track is impressive as gently caress.

My next buys are going to be the Jubei LP, Andy C Nightlife 6, and Bad Company's Book of the Bad if I can get over my hesitation to buy a used CD on Amazon for more than I've ever bought a new CD :pwn:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

FadedReality posted:

Gonna recommend 2 classic albums that were instrumental in establishing the darker, more scifi sound we know as neurofunk today: Dom & Roland - Industry and Ed Rush & Optical - Wormhole, both from 1998.

cheese-cube posted:

A nice tribute to old-school techstep though (Sort-of).

Speaking of which, Dom is working on a new Metalheadz album. Can't wait to hear it!

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 28, 2015

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FadedReality posted:

My next buys are going to be the Jubei LP, Andy C Nightlife 6, and Bad Company's Book of the Bad if I can get over my hesitation to buy a used CD on Amazon for more than I've ever bought a new CD :pwn:

Check out Discogs.com's marketplace for used stuff, might find better deals, especially if someone stateside is selling because then the USPS Media Mail shipping is much cheaper. I really liked Jubei's album, felt like it was a love letter to old Metalheadz releases. You might like some of the stuff he's done as part of Code 3 too.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Speaking of which, Dom is working on a new Metalheadz album. Can't wait to hear it!

I was really surprised to see that mentioned the other day. I figured he would have done another album on his own label, but Metalheadz will give it more exposure. I know there is a Blocks & Escher LP at some point on Metalheadz, and maybe a Mikal album?

All this album talk, I really want a new dBridge album, and an Ivy Lab double album.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah I definitely prefer I Need More to Incessant.

Spun a new mix yesterday - OPERATIONS vol. 8.

I listened to this earlier today and thought it had a great flow to it and enjoyed the dubstep to D&B switch up.

SUBFRIES posted:

Did a new mix for Expansion Broadcast, more on the drum machine and half-time vibe, with nods to jungle here & there.

http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/650/

I just finished this and it was awesome as well.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Das Butterbrot posted:

Hell yeah!

SUBFRIES posted:

All this album talk, I really want a new dBridge album, and an Ivy Lab double album.

I really want a new Evol Intent album, Era Of Diversion was awesome :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cheese-cube posted:

I really want a new Evol Intent album, Era Of Diversion was awesome :sigh:
This would make me so very happy, but expecting that is probably unrealistic at this point.