Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
If you guys are wondering if an agency will be hiring, check out the Senate appropriations subcommittee funding bill. Some agencies were decimated and took big hits while others (like mine) actually got a lot more money than what was asked for. The House bill has more budget line items listed with a lot more explanation.

Look specifically for the salaries and full time equivalent (fte) sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
Mind linking that? All my search permutations are coming up with the same useless PDFs that don't go into line items.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, I have a degree in engineering that I got 5 years ago, but no experience, what sort of jobs should I be looking for on USAJOBS? Apparently I'm not eligible for the Pathways program since the cut off is 2 years. But should I be looking at short-term stuff, or what?

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

So, I have a degree in engineering that I got 5 years ago, but no experience, what sort of jobs should I be looking for on USAJOBS? Apparently I'm not eligible for the Pathways program since the cut off is 2 years. But should I be looking at short-term stuff, or what?

I would suggest looking at GS 7 5 jobs and just filter by keywords. Stick in "engineer" + whatever type of engine you are. What were you doing during those five years? If you were doing a master's (even if you didn't graduate) I think that'll make you eligible for higher grades (like GS 9 7 level)

Edit: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but opm.gov has a classification qualification table and it says for gs 7 you need 1 year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement.

Stolennosferatu fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 14, 2014

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Stolennosferatu posted:

I would suggest looking at GS 7 5 jobs and just filter by keywords. Stick in "engineer" + whatever type of engine you are. What were you doing during those five years? If you were doing a master's (even if you didn't graduate) I think that'll make you eligible for higher grades (like GS 9 7 level)

Edit: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but opm.gov has a classification qualification table and it says for gs 7 you need 1 year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement.

It is a GS 5 for a bachelors degree/four years of college, though some jobs may allow you to apply at the GS 7 grade if they list SAA as a qualifier. The job announcement will say if that is applicable. You will have to attach unofficial transcripts onto the job application, and then have the university you attended release official transcripts to HR if an offer is given. At least, that's what happened in my case.

Below are the requirements for SAA (Superior Academic Achievement):
  1. Class standing -- Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
  2. Grade-point average (G.P.A.) -- Applicants must have a grade-point average of:
    1. 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or
    2. 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
    Grade-point averages are to be rounded to one decimal place. For example, 2.95 will round to 3.0 and 2.94 will round to 2.9.
  3. Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society

One year of graduate school will allow you to apply to GS 7 as well, and two years in grad school or receiving a master's degree is GS 9. Having a doctorate, or three years working toward a doctorate-level degree, is GS 11.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=Group-Standards

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 14, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Did they diversify the pay bands or something? I've started to see federal jobs that actually pay about as much as contracting jobs now, but that aren't part of the general schedule.

Also, has anyone ever gotten hired out of one of the direct hire authority repositories, or are they just a black hole for resumes?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Mind linking that? All my search permutations are coming up with the same useless PDFs that don't go into line items.

It's not 100% into specifics for FTE's for each agency, but a good place to start.

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/approp/app14.html

Edit: Looks like the Senate subcommittee agreed on a final bill. It will go up for vote/deliberation over the next 3 days, but the specifics weren't released yet.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 14, 2014

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

psydude posted:

Did they diversify the pay bands or something? I've started to see federal jobs that actually pay about as much as contracting jobs now, but that aren't part of the general schedule.

Not all agencies use the GS scale--I recently started at an agency that doesn't. Instead, it uses pay bands that are intended to provide some incentive for performance rather than automatic step increases.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

We tried that a few years ago. It didn't end up working out, and we're back on GS now.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Stolennosferatu posted:

For Librarians, a master's with little to no experience = GS9. I think it might vary by job.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

It's not 100% into specifics for FTE's for each agency, but a good place to start.

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/approp/app14.html

Edit: Looks like the Senate subcommittee agreed on a final bill. It will go up for vote/deliberation over the next 3 days, but the specifics weren't released yet.

Thanks for the link. There's some lines in there that give me hope that CBP is safe from cuts that will affect my tentative selection, but still, government :ohdear:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Based on the responses I have gotten from USAJobs in the last near-year of applications, I have noticed that I get the "most highly qualified and referred to hiring authority" from FEMA about 5x as often as any other agency. I cannot think of any particular thing that makes me extra-qualified for that unless it is my combination of political science and criminal justice education, because I certainly have never worked in anything resembling emergency management. Does anyone know if FEMA just like to crush your hopes later in the process and this is common? If no-one else has any experiences like this then clearly it means I should be applying to every FEMA job.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

We tried that a few years ago. It didn't end up working out, and we're back on GS now.

Yeah, it has positives and negatives, and I'm not trying to make any kind of endorsement for it. There are still a limited number of agencies using non-GS pay scales, though.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I just want to post about an experience I had with USAJobs and the federal government.

I applied for two year-long term positions as a wildlife biologist at a local refuge. The job descriptions for these two jobs were exactly the same, and were as follows:

quote:

Collects, measures, and records biological information such as species, size, weight, sex, age, percent mortalities, etc. Computes, compiles, summarizes and assesses data in tabular, graphic, or narrative form. Assists or performs biological studies/surveys for determining the manner and extent to which wildlife, or plant populations are affected by management activities. Monitors appearance and activity of wildlife for obvious signs of illness, disease, discontent, and general physical condition. May conduct resource management activities such as mapping, surveying, seeding, habitat monitoring, fencing, invasive weed management, etc. Operates and performs limited maintenance on a variety of equipment and structures. May be required to operate passenger vehicles, light trucks, tractors and boats. May participate in prescribed burning activities

So, sounds like pretty standard entry-level biologist stuff. Doing bird/plant surveys, maybe doing a little habitat management stuff, writing reports, etc. Exactly what I do now and have done for the past ~ 7 or 8 years.

I know the refuge manager so I called him up to ask about these positions and what he told me is a great example of why it is so frustrating applying for federal jobs, and why the likelihood of getting referred for jobs on the USAJobs website is so low.

First thing he told me was that neither of these positions even exist, and they won't know for a couple months if they are going to get funding for either position. The deadline to apply for these jobs was January 8th but they won't know about the funding situation until June. So, with USAJobs you may be applying for jobs that don't even exist but you have no way of knowing.

Second thing he told me - both of these jobs are listed as 1-year term positions doing biological surveys. Well, one of the jobs is a 2-month temporary position doing biological surveys. The other job is for a full-time tractor operator position. Nowhere in the job description does it mention tractors besides "May be required to operate passenger vehicles, light trucks, tractors and boats". So, the job descriptions don't even mirror what the actual job responsibilities would be. I can't imagine getting called in for an interview for a job I think is doing wildlife surveys and actually end up interviewing for a full-time tractor driver position. So, even though it would appear that I have all the skills and education necessary to be a great candidate for this job, I'm actually totally unqualified because I don't drive tractors, I'm a wildlife biologist.

Just thought I'd share this story for those of you getting frustrated with USAJobs. I did get offered an interview from the State of New Mexico, I've been having a lot more luck applying for state jobs than federal jobs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That was an incredibly distressing story. Thanks? for ... posting it?

I do think that in some ways is a good thing to hear, though, for those people who apply for countless jobs and wonder why it seems like their applications disappear forever--well, they actually might disappear for virtually forever, apparently.

(I was offered an immigration services officer position today without an interview ... well, that counts as success, I think)

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Geez. That's a bit distressing, considering I'm hunting for Marine Biology jobs... guess I'd better start nowish.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Quarex posted:

That was an incredibly distressing story. Thanks? for ... posting it?

I do think that in some ways is a good thing to hear, though, for those people who apply for countless jobs and wonder why it seems like their applications disappear forever--well, they actually might disappear for virtually forever, apparently.

(I was offered an immigration services officer position today without an interview ... well, that counts as success, I think)

It is really frustrating, especially in Biology. Congrats on your job offer though! There's always success stories :)

Aerofallosov posted:

Geez. That's a bit distressing, considering I'm hunting for Marine Biology jobs... guess I'd better start nowish.

Yeah I know. I was hoping some other biologists would see this and it would help them understand why they're not getting callbacks. What makes it super-frustrating is that the best way to get a job in this field (or most fields I'd guess) is through personal contacts. But personal contacts can't even help you in this situation because the hiring manager literally has NO POWER. I talked with the refuge manager for over an hour on the phone. We had met previously at a conference and at some other events so I kinda-sorta knew him and he was totally straight with me. He told me it is extremely frustrating on his end too, because he can't even look at your application unless it ends up on his desk, ie) your application has made it through the computer system and has been arbitrarily defined as "best qualified". He told me that if my application ended up on his desk, he would hire me for the 2-month gig which is great but there's no way to know if my app made it to his desk or not, and it will be ~4 months before I even find out. All I can do is wait for a letter.

He also told me that everyone that applies for a job through USAJobs got a rejection/acceptance letter. I told him I had applied for probably around 50 jobs through USAJobs and have never one time got a letter, ever. He was very surprised to hear that. I actually applied for a conservation job through USAJobs last year, never heard back, never heard back. Finally I emailed the person listed as the contact and she said they were so under-staffed and under-funded at that office, not only were they not able to fill the position, but they didn't even have anyone to send out the rejection letters.

So... yeah. There's a story for you. With biology jobs, I definitely think it's more worth your time to heavily focus on a couple states and hardcore apply for jobs through their state website, and don't apply for anything federal unless it looks really, really promising. I feel like I just waste my time with USAJobs sometimes.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
I've read a couple of posts about people applying for Customs and Border Protection Officer.
I've been through the process if anyone has any questions. It pays well, goes up to GS-12, but can be rough sometimes.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

razz posted:

It is really frustrating, especially in Biology. Congrats on your job offer though! There's always success stories :)
Yeah, I am glad to be one of those success stories after all the time I spent assuming it was impossible, despite hundreds of applications :)

(I am now comfortable enough to mention that I actually failed the probably-supposed-to-be-a-formality Secret Service physical exam; if there is an opposite of adrenaline, then that is what my body filled me with on my big morning, as I turned in fewer push-ups/sit-ups and slower run/sprint times than I had in months of training)

kys posted:

I've read a couple of posts about people applying for Customs and Border Protection Officer.
I've been through the process if anyone has any questions. It pays well, goes up to GS-12, but can be rough sometimes.
This is obviously not what I am doing, but do you know anything about immigration positions tangentially? Probably not.

I am busy wondering, even though I do mostly like the idea of where I would be stationed, how realistic it would be to hope to transfer to a similar job elsewhere. I seem to recall people talking about it being much easier to job-hop in the government once you have a job in the first place--could I realistically expect to be able to move to a similar job on, say, the opposite coast after a year or something? I know that lateral transfer is supposed to be one of the cool things about working for Da Feds after all.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

razz posted:

Finally I emailed the person listed as the contact and she said they were so under-staffed and under-funded at that office, not only were they not able to fill the position, but they didn't even have anyone to send out the rejection letters.

I haven't applied to any biology-related jobs, but that is a wonderful summary of my experiences over the past year and change. I applied to a fellowship with DHS in November 2012 still reads "Application Received" and e-mails to the HR contact are still unanswered :downs:

kys posted:

Currently filling out the e-QIP forms to start the background investigation process, and I got my fingerprint cards in the mail today via Priority Mail no less. CBP has really been speeding me along this process, should I expect the rest of the application process to take the 12-18 months they keep referencing in PDFs? Curious to know how much time I'm looking at between turning this stuff in and getting interviewed, polygraphed, etc. Also, will I have to wait long before it's time for PFT2 and getting a slot for FLETC?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I haven't applied to any biology-related jobs, but that is a wonderful summary of my experiences over the past year and change. I applied to a fellowship with DHS in November 2012 still reads "Application Received" and e-mails to the HR contact are still unanswered :downs:

Some of the state websites really suck for stuff like that. For example, New Mexico. I really want to live/work there so I've applied for like 20 jobs through their state employment website. I've already gotten rejection emails from 10-12 of these jobs, but you can't take them off your "Jobs I've Applied For" page. I even emailed someone to ask how to get these jobs off my page, and they said I simply can't. So every job I apply for in the state of New Mexico will be on my jobs page, forever, because apparently you can't take them off the list. Ever. There's no option to "hide" or "remove" the listing like there is on USAJobs. So every time I get on, I have to slough through this list of jobs that I've already been rejected for and try and remember which ones I'm actually still in the running for (because they obviously don't update the status, they're all still on "Application Received").

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Currently filling out the e-QIP forms to start the background investigation process, and I got my fingerprint cards in the mail today via Priority Mail no less. CBP has really been speeding me along this process, should I expect the rest of the application process to take the 12-18 months they keep referencing in PDFs? Curious to know how much time I'm looking at between turning this stuff in and getting interviewed, polygraphed, etc. Also, will I have to wait long before it's time for PFT2 and getting a slot for FLETC?

You have to get a poly as an immigration officer???

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Quarex posted:

Yeah, I am glad to be one of those success stories after all the time I spent assuming it was impossible, despite hundreds of applications :)

(I am now comfortable enough to mention that I actually failed the probably-supposed-to-be-a-formality Secret Service physical exam; if there is an opposite of adrenaline, then that is what my body filled me with on my big morning, as I turned in fewer push-ups/sit-ups and slower run/sprint times than I had in months of training)

This is obviously not what I am doing, but do you know anything about immigration positions tangentially? Probably not.

I am busy wondering, even though I do mostly like the idea of where I would be stationed, how realistic it would be to hope to transfer to a similar job elsewhere. I seem to recall people talking about it being much easier to job-hop in the government once you have a job in the first place--could I realistically expect to be able to move to a similar job on, say, the opposite coast after a year or something? I know that lateral transfer is supposed to be one of the cool things about working for Da Feds after all.

You got to remember that there are other people in your position that are thinking the same thing, so I would say that you should be okay
with being a CBPO for a few years (in order to get your tenure/experience). The good thing about cbp is that theyre almost always hiring and transfers are simple (one-for-one swap.)

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Feed Me A Cat posted:

CBP has pretty quick turn around due to the fact that there is a lot of attrition. This job is not for everyone and a lot of people quit because of the long hours and the law enforcement aspect. I've already gotten in a couple of fights and I am pretty comfortable slapping on handcuffs, but then again I'm at a very busy port. The money is good though.

The backround and polygraph usually take the longest so expect for another 2-4 months before you get the call for the job. The PFT2 happens like two weeks before you show up at the port for the first day. When you show up at the port they already have a FLETC date for you, so once you get the call, thats when youll know when you're going to FLETC.

kys fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 17, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
...And then it's nothing but Super Chicken and trying to get to the dining hall before BOP or CBP gets there.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Quarex posted:

Congrats dude. Was it a firm offer or a tentative offer?

On a related note, I've been officially hired by US Patent and Trademark Office! I start there in three weeks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

problematique posted:

Oooooooooo that would be so exciting! I have always wanted to take a polygraph. Cue me somehow failing it despite living the most boring life ever. Though this may be for Customs and Border Protection, not Citizenship and Immigration Services.

kys posted:

You got to remember that there are other people in your position that are thinking the same thing, so I would say that you should be okay
with being a CBPO for a few years (in order to get your tenure/experience). The good thing about cbp is that theyre almost always hiring and transfers are simple (one-for-one swap.)
Yeah I did figure that, and fortunately I kind of have a suspicion that the place I am moving to might be right up my alley, so I am not anticipating wanting to leave. Though this is for CIS, not CBP. But I know someone who works for CBP and she seems to know a lot about CIS jobs too.

Delorence Fickle posted:

Congrats dude. Was it a firm offer or a tentative offer?

On a related note, I've been officially hired by US Patent and Trademark Office! I start there in three weeks.
Uhh well now you are scaring me but while it was a tentative offer all it said was that I had to submit official transcripts verifying my master's degree(s) before receiving a start date, so I am kind of hoping I am not somehow totally misunderstanding this thing.

And COOL GOOD JOB WOOO!

Edit: Also, dammit, where is the advice about how to try negotiating your starting salary (or benefits, though I doubt either is possible)? I know that generally you do not negotiate, but I qualify for GS-11 education-wise even though I think I have an offer at GS-9, and I seem to recall someone saying there is a modest chance that might be relevant (but I am also content to just excitedly take the job as-is if you all tell me "do not even try to negotiate, idiot").

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 17, 2014

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Where was your offer? I'm an ISO at Nebraska Service Center. I know we're bringing in new ISO-1s.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Quarex posted:

Edit: Also, dammit, where is the advice about how to try negotiating your starting salary (or benefits, though I doubt either is possible)? I know that generally you do not negotiate, but I qualify for GS-11 education-wise even though I think I have an offer at GS-9, and I seem to recall someone saying there is a modest chance that might be relevant (but I am also content to just excitedly take the job as-is if you all tell me "do not even try to negotiate, idiot").
It's not so much that you don't negotiate for a gov job as you often can't because the federal system is so rigid. It doesn't hurt to ask, though, especially the HR POC. If it's a GS-9/11 position, they may be able to bring you in as an 11. But if it's a straight GS-9 position, you'll come in as a GS-9. They *may* have some control over what step you enter as, but most likely won't, and you'll come in as a GS-9 step 1.

You can ask your new(future) boss about promotion potential as well.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 17, 2014

lanefrost
Dec 11, 2002

Give me my binkie!
first time posting here, but I've read through the thread over the past month and have put in some applications for various jobs. (Looking for work in general and included public sector as well).

I haven't been at this long yet, so not much time for any info to come back. But I just got an update yesterday on an app I put in with the CDC showing my rating results from the questionnaire. It says my rating was a 90.

Is this good / bad? I've seen a few people reference the rating scores but not quite sure what all it means or what the scale is. Is it to 100?

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

problematique posted:

Not sure, I was referring to the Customs and Border Protection Officer process which I'm going through.

kys posted:

CBP has pretty quick turn around due to the fact that there is a lot of attrition. This job is not for everyone and a lot of people quit because of the long hours and the law enforcement aspect. I've already gotten in a couple of fights and I am pretty comfortable slapping on handcuffs, but then again I'm at a very busy port. The money is good though.

The backround and polygraph usually take the longest so expect for another 2-4 months before you get the call for the job. The PFT2 happens like two weeks before you show up at the port for the first day. When you show up at the port they already have a FLETC date for you, so once you get the call, thats when youll know when you're going to FLETC.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know I would be going to a port prior to FLETC, is that for some initial training and/or admin stuff?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Beerdeer posted:

Where was your offer? I'm an ISO at Nebraska Service Center. I know we're bringing in new ISO-1s.
Essex, Vermont. I remember all at once sometime last summer there was an explosion of those jobs on USAJobs, I applied in like a half-dozen different states. But Vermont was the only place that got me past the "thanks for applying, but you suck" phase.

grover posted:

It's not so much that you don't negotiate for a gov job as you often can't because the federal system is so rigid. It doesn't hurt to ask, though, especially the HR POC. If it's a GS-9/11 position, they may be able to bring you in as an 11. But if it's a straight GS-9 position, you'll come in as a GS-9. They *may* have some control over what step you enter as, but most likely won't, and you'll come in as a GS-9 step 1.

You can ask your new(future) boss about promotion potential as well.
Cool! I will give that a shot. I assume that means to talk to a real person once I arrive somewhere rather than to respond to my offer e-mail with a list of demands.

lanefrost posted:

I haven't been at this long yet, so not much time for any info to come back. But I just got an update yesterday on an app I put in with the CDC showing my rating results from the questionnaire. It says my rating was a 90.

Is this good / bad? I've seen a few people reference the rating scores but not quite sure what all it means or what the scale is. Is it to 100?
The problem is not that it goes to 100, the problem is that it technically goes to 105 with veterans getting 5 extra points (or 110 with disabled veterans getting 10), which is why the general advice has been if you are doing those questionnaires and you are not getting in the high 90s then you are probably not a contender (someone posted a list of the scores-per-hire at some point in the thread, and I feel like 95 was the absolute lowest hired, and at least some jobs were 100 if not like 101 or something.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013
Does anyone have any advice for me and my wife?

She has been a federal contractor for six years. During that time, she has been encouraged by her federal supervisors to apply for about a dozen jobs that have opened up...two of these have been identical to the position she was working as a contractor at the time...but she has never even made it to the interview process. In 99% of these cases, she has been told by HR that other applicants had higher scores due to military veteran status or other factors. The person who gets hired for the position is inevitably a friend of the ones doing the hiring. (We keep hoping an investigation will be done about this, as it recently happened in another federal facility in a nearby city.)

In the meantime, for the last six months her federal boss has turned into a complete bitch. (This is someone who was friends with my wife before she was promoted.) She screams at her employees, and seems to take particular delight in upsetting my wife. (Yelling at her for not knowing things that she was never trained on, even though she has tried to get that training approved for years and kept getting denied, including by this bitch.) Her team has a 98% accuracy requirement, which has been met ever since my wife got her current position, and still any time there's any sort of error she gets screamed at about it.

I understand from one of the other job threads that "hostile work environment" isn't something she can complain about unless it's a class-based discrimination incident, but is there anything she can do about this situation other than quit/get fired? If she complained to HR, would it even matter since she's a contractor, or would they just take the federal employees' word over hers?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It probably depends on the agency. My anecdotal experience as a contractor was that we were in a separate caste from federal employees, and despite making up 95% of the technical workforce, we were generally held below even the shittiest federal employee by the upper management. People who made recommendations in a public setting were oftentimes fired.

Your wife's best option is probably to start looking for a new job, because if she complains she'll likely be canned.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So razz, what I can take from this is that job postings for biology jobs might not be accurate about the duties of a job, its work period, and if it actually exists.

Guess I should start doing searches in state level jobs again.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I'm trying to start working on my e-QIP for the SF-86 so I can get the ball rolling on getting a Secret clearance in time for June. I went to the website, and it gives me an error based on my browser, says it can't recognize it. I'm on a Chromebook while I'm overseas for the next week and a half and don't have any Windows or Mac computers that I trust, so I have to use Chrome... is there a reason it's not working? Is this a known issue? Have others been able to do the forms with Chrome, or do I just have to wait until I'm back in the US to start filling it out?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

CronoGamer posted:

I'm trying to start working on my e-QIP for the SF-86 so I can get the ball rolling on getting a Secret clearance in time for June. I went to the website, and it gives me an error based on my browser, says it can't recognize it. I'm on a Chromebook while I'm overseas for the next week and a half and don't have any Windows or Mac computers that I trust, so I have to use Chrome... is there a reason it's not working? Is this a known issue? Have others been able to do the forms with Chrome, or do I just have to wait until I'm back in the US to start filling it out?
Not sure; Chrome usually works pretty reliably for me on US Gov sites. The time consuming part is gathering the information, though; that's where you really need the head-start. It's maybe a couple of hours (at the most) to actually enter it; probably not even that much. Just download a paper SF-86 in the meantime and work on listing all your prior addresses and references for those addresses, and what specific town your parents were born in, etc.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
I think I remember it not supporting Chrome, here's your solution though, IE tab Chrome extension : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd?hl=en-US

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

grover posted:

Not sure; Chrome usually works pretty reliably for me on US Gov sites. The time consuming part is gathering the information, though; that's where you really need the head-start. It's maybe a couple of hours (at the most) to actually enter it; probably not even that much. Just download a paper SF-86 in the meantime and work on listing all your prior addresses and references for those addresses, and what specific town your parents were born in, etc.

Yeah, I've already started to get some of it together, but pulling up a paper copy of it would be a good idea so I know exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

problematique posted:

I think I remember it not supporting Chrome, here's your solution though, IE tab Chrome extension : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd?hl=en-US
I tried this, and thought it would be the perfect solution, but for whatever godforsaken reason it won't actually run on ChromeOS-- it's for someone running the Chrome browser but on Windows. Why you wouldn't just use IE at that point is beyond me... Thanks for trying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

psydude posted:

It probably depends on the agency. My anecdotal experience as a contractor was that we were in a separate caste from federal employees, and despite making up 95% of the technical workforce, we were generally held below even the shittiest federal employee by the upper management. People who made recommendations in a public setting were oftentimes fired.

Your wife's best option is probably to start looking for a new job, because if she complains she'll likely be canned.

This really depends on even specific buildings in agencies.

With that said, there's a contractor who just got on my poo poo list after writing a snarky email directed towards me. Tuesday is going to be glorious.