Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

S-N posted:

So I guess I have another question.

I'm getting a lot of fret buzz on the E and A strings. Is there a surefire way to tell if it's A) my lovely guitar playing's fault or B) my action's fault? I don't want to mess around with the bridge if it's just because I'm bad at this thing.

So long as you're fretting close to the wire (like almost directly over the metal) and applying enough pressure you shouldn't get any buzzing, unless you're plucking the string really really hard. Normal, pretty gentle playing and fretting should be enough to get a clean note out, and it shouldn't buzz. If you try playing all along the string (open, 1st fret, 2nd, 3rd etc) and see where it does and doesn't buzz, you can get some pointers about what's probably up and needs doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lazerbeam posted:

Do any (UK) goons know where to go to buy a replacement adapter for a Vox Da5?

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-313153.html

Some info there but it looks like a 12V DC supply of at least 800mA should work. Or you could look at this

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

baka kaba posted:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-313153.html

Some info there but it looks like a 12V DC supply of at least 800mA should work. Or you could look at this

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is http://www.rondomusic.com/jg1cvtwrs.html an okay acoustic? I know precisely dick about them, but I really like the aesthetics of this one. Everyone says to not go cheap on a guitar, but Rondo is known for making really good budget guitars so I was hoping that would let me get away with it.

I don't REALLY like acoustic(I play Electric), I just want to have one to practice on to broaden my skills, so I was kind of hoping a cheap one would be sufficient.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
You get what you pay for. A cheap acoustic will be difficult to play and won't sound very good. Would you rather have a crappy one than none at all? Then buy it.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
I got a pretty great deal on an Ibanez RGR421EXFM, but the hardware is a little crapped up. SO, I was thinking about turning it into a gaudy little project guitar, and I wanted some opinions.

ITEMIZED LIST!

- The bridge is rather corroded, so I want to replace it. Should I just replace with stock, or is it worth it to buy, like, a Gotoh bridge?

- Would it be too insufferably metal to swap out the stock "smoky" metal furniture with black ones?

- ~MOST IMPORTANT~ I plan to replace the pickups, as they're super muddy, and I'm not sure if I should keep them as passive or change to actives. And to that end, it's unbelievably hard to find adequate samples of pickup tone that don't come from some 16-year-old's badly compressed Youtube video. I want this guitar to be MEGA SLUTTY so I just kind of want pickups that make perplexing and delicious noise, and descriptors like "vintage crunch" and "bluesy output" mean nothing to me. Recommendations?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Descriptions like MEGA SLUTTY(wtf?), perplexing and delicious noise mean nothing too.
What kind of music are you going to be playing with it?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I sense a need for the METAL. But I'm not sure. If so, we're talking high-output ceramics.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

I got a pretty great deal on an Ibanez RGR421EXFM, but the hardware is a little crapped up. SO, I was thinking about turning it into a gaudy little project guitar, and I wanted some opinions.

ITEMIZED LIST!

- The bridge is rather corroded, so I want to replace it. Should I just replace with stock, or is it worth it to buy, like, a Gotoh bridge?

- Would it be too insufferably metal to swap out the stock "smoky" metal furniture with black ones?

- ~MOST IMPORTANT~ I plan to replace the pickups, as they're super muddy, and I'm not sure if I should keep them as passive or change to actives. And to that end, it's unbelievably hard to find adequate samples of pickup tone that don't come from some 16-year-old's badly compressed Youtube video. I want this guitar to be MEGA SLUTTY so I just kind of want pickups that make perplexing and delicious noise, and descriptors like "vintage crunch" and "bluesy output" mean nothing to me. Recommendations?

That's sort of a bunch of nonsense, but here's what you should do: Go to GuitarFetish:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html
Then scroll through until you see some words/images you like. I'd suggest looking at the Crunchy Rails. If GuitarFetish doesn't have sound clips posted on the page for the pickup - they usually do - do a quick youtube search and you can find pretty decent demos.

e: ^^^ Like Warcabbit said, just keep looking at stuff described as high-output.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

Thanks, guys. Sorry for the weirdo hyperbole. I guess I felt like talking like Steve Albini this morning, and managed to not provide any helpful information. What I meant to say, is that I'm mostly looking for high output pickups that respond well to heavy distortion, but with a bridge pickup that's fairly clean (like a BK Nailbomb). Someone had recommended a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a Tone Zone, but finding decent sound sample of those proved difficult.

I didn't really know anything about GFS pickups, but they seem pretty reasonable and goon opinion is rather high.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Crunchy-Rails-Our-Hottest-Modern-Metal-Power-Black-on-Black-_c_90.html

So... you want something none more black, then? What are you playing through?

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Crunchy-Rails-Our-Hottest-Modern-Metal-Power-Black-on-Black-_c_90.html

So... you want something none more black, then? What are you playing through?

Nothing even remotely fancy. As a professional bedroom guitarist, I usually spend my nights pathetically hunched over a Crush Pix CR35LDX. That is, unless I get the opportunity to use a friend's Marshall tube amp, which happens very rarely.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Power-Rails-Crushing-power-Killer-Tone-Black-on-Black_c_106.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/VEH-Vintage-Extra-Hot-Black-The-BROWN-SOUND-_c_173.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Loudmouth-Pickup-EXTRA-POWER-with-vintage-Tone-_c_130.html
There are options, here. Read and think, you know? I've got a VEH bridge on a LP. It's very... rock.

Edit: Of course, on my most metal guitar, I've got a pair of Teslas.
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=vr-extreme

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 3, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Unless you're doing professional recording or gigging out, I don't know what difference high-output pickups are going to make. What's the point of getting "loud" pickups if you have to keep the volume at a reasonable level?

If you want something that's less muddy, you can find plenty of clean passive pickups that sound great with heavy overdrive. Even standard Strat singles absolutely scream with the right overdrive settings.

You may just have to do some running around town and talking to people to get a feel for what pickups you want. Any time I consider a new gear purchase, I like to sit with my guitar in front of amplifier and do some A vs B tryouts. Talk to the clerks, too, as they'll be aware of customer issues that other consumers may not.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 3, 2012

Happy Placidity
Jan 1, 2012
I've finally decided that playing guitar is going to be a lifelong thing for me, so I'd like an upgrade from my $200 Yamaha Pacifica. I'm interested in playing Rock/Metal, so I'm looking for a humbucker in the bridge and a floyd rose, from there I'm not exactly sure what I want. My price limit is $1000 unless going a couple hundred above that would significantly increase the value for my money.

My local guitar shop has an American made Charvel San Dinas Type 1 for $999 right now. The owner said that Charvels aren't made in America anymore, and its value will go up over time. I don't care much about that, but I could get a Japanese made one for a hundred dollars less. Is this a good deal? Are there better guitars in this price range I should be looking at instead? I realize this is very subjective, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

"Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you can't see your own back (without mirrors).
I'm an idiot.

I just picked up a used Ibanez RG320DX. I'm trying to get back into music for the first time since High School, yadda yadda, and figured I'd spluge a tiny paycheck on this bad boy and a little Analog amp.

I bring it home, throw on the tuner, and get to tuning it. I'm tired and didn't process the fact that, despite turning the knobs, the tuning wasn't really changing. I get to the D string and the thing snaps on the head. Only THEN do I realize that the weird little allen-wrench-needing screws on the top of the fretboard were keeping the guitar in tune and I wasn't doing anything besides adding pressure at the top. Gotta go in tomorrow for new strings :doh:. At least I can goof around on it since it's still in tune.

What's that thing called, anyway?

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

"Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you can't see your own back (without mirrors).
poo poo, double post :saddowns:. I am dumb a gently caress.

mustermark fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2012

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mustermark posted:

I'm an idiot.

I just picked up a used Ibanez RG320DX. I'm trying to get back into music for the first time since High School, yadda yadda, and figured I'd spluge a tiny paycheck on this bad boy and a little Analog amp.

I bring it home, throw on the tuner, and get to tuning it. I'm tired and didn't process the fact that, despite turning the knobs, the tuning wasn't really changing. I get to the D string and the thing snaps on the head. Only THEN do I realize that the weird little allen-wrench-needing screws on the top of the fretboard were keeping the guitar in tune and I wasn't doing anything besides adding pressure at the top. Gotta go in tomorrow for new strings :doh:. At least I can goof around on it since it's still in tune.

What's that thing called, anyway?

Its a locking nut. Did you actually break a string?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
yeah, those little bridge tuners are a pain. I prefer locking tuners. They are the best part of my guitar.

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Its a locking nut. Did you actually break a string?

Yeah :/. The D string came apart at the peg.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

mustermark posted:

Yeah :/. The D string came apart at the peg.
Your guitar has a Floyd Rose tremolo; have fun learning how to tune it.

:getin:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Happy Placidity posted:

My local guitar shop has an American made Charvel San Dinas Type 1 for $999 right now. The owner said that Charvels aren't made in America anymore, and its value will go up over time. I don't care much about that, but I could get a Japanese made one for a hundred dollars less. Is this a good deal? Are there better guitars in this price range I should be looking at instead? I realize this is very subjective, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

I wouldn't bother with the recent US Charvels, I've played a few and they seem really inconsistent. The Japanese ones are generally considered to completely outperform them. My Japanese San Dimas is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, and they come with a hardcase instead of one of those awful gigbags.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

duckfarts posted:

Your guitar has a Floyd Rose tremolo; have fun learning how to tune it.

That was pretty much exactly my thought.

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

The tremelo thing is scary looking, but the dudes at the shop showed me how to do it.

By the way, is https://www.justinguitar.com a generally good place to learn for a beginner? I didn't see anything in the OP.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's rad as hell

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mustermark posted:

The tremelo thing is scary looking, but the dudes at the shop showed me how to do it.

By the way, is https://www.justinguitar.com a generally good place to learn for a beginner? I didn't see anything in the OP.

I second baka kaba, and I'd add that it's rad for non-beginners as well. It's generally a great site just to brush up/review skills too. I'd had about a 2 year hiatus from playing and it helped getting me back into shape.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

I second baka kaba, and I'd add that it's rad for non-beginners as well. It's generally a great site just to brush up/review skills too. I'd had about a 2 year hiatus from playing and it helped getting me back into shape.
I've been going through Pebber Brown's videos on YouTube in addition to this; justinguitar is more about playing immediately, Pebber Brown videos are about strengthening your fundamentals and skills.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Justin's site isn't just great for the videos (which really explain things and do a good job of identifying problems and questions you might have), it's a well structured lesson plan. It starts with the basics and builds on those concepts, and brings in new stuff when you're ready - plus he throws in ear training as well, which is really important. But yeah, there are definitely other sites to supplement your general learnin' too

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

Here is mt mexi-strat. I bought it about a month ago. I've been practicing about an hour each day (sometimes more than an hour). So far I can play the following chords from memory: A, Am, Bm, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, G, G7. These chords make up a ton of songs, so all weekend I've been trying to learn songs. The thing I'm having trouble with is changing from one chord to the other. If the song is slow, I can usually switch between the chords fine, but if its a fast song my fingers will get tied up.

Also, my guitar came with a thin plastic film over the pick guard. Was I supposed to feel this off? I didn't even notice it was there until about a week of playing. The plastic didn't peel off cleanly, as there are still little bits of plastic that got attached to the screws. Also, when will the skin in my fingers get used to the strings? My strumming thumb is always sore, and the skin of my fingertips on my left hand is starting to peel off. Hella painful.

how!! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 6, 2012

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You shouldn't be hurting a month into playing. There are two major factors in how your finger tips feel: pressure you use while playing and callouses you have built up. The callouses should be there by now so I'd add a minimal force exercise into your routine.

Also your thumb shouldn't be raking the strings while you strum and you should work on that. Possible arrange a lesson to make sure your posture and technique are good.

edit: the minimal force exercises will help you change chords faster too.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 6, 2012

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
When I bought my Epiphone, I had to unscrew the screws in the pick guard to remove the plastic film.

The chord changes come with time, but I found the Justinguitar way of spending 5-10 minutes a day just on chord changes (1 minute changes) accelerate things quite a bit.
Here's where he introduces the concept and every section where he introduces new chords he has a one minute change section:

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah, that ^^^ is a great method for practicing. Over time your fingers will get better at slotting into various shapes, but you just need practice at getting them moving and exerting pressure quickly. Also it often helps to get one finger into position first and then drop the others in around it, and sometimes you can keep one finger in place when going from one chord to another (try Am to C).

Are you strumming with a pick or with your actual thumb? Playing electric fingerstyle (especially strumming) is fairly rare, although a few people do play that way, and if you're going to do it with any force you might want to focus on using your nails. Your fretting fingers will probably be tender for a while, especially if you're playing a lot, but generally you should be building up thick calluses and that top layer should be what's coming off, if anything. It shouldn't hurt, you just might have some internal tenderness in the pads of your fingers. And there shouldn't be any actual pain in your hand itself (it might ache after a while though)

Maybe it would help to make sure your technique is good - you should be fretting with the tips of your fingers, as close to the fret wire as possible, and you should be using the minimum amount of pressure necessary for a clean sound (fretting near the wire helps with this). It might also be worth taking the guitar in for a set-up, or asking someone knowledgeable anyway - if your action is too high (the height of the strings off the fretboard) then you have to push more to fret the string, which makes things hard work

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
About a year and a half ago I got a guitar to start learning by myself but I wasn't really sure about the direction I was taking with my studies. I'm going to get back into it and I'm currently reviewing the very basics. I want to learn jazz. Can someone suggest any books or video that might help me learn?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Will a high action make barre much more difficult? I think my guitar would benefit from a setup since it's really high at the 12th fret, but seems ok at the first.

I'm currently trying to learn barre chords and I'm having a lot of trouble and was wondering if this could be part of the problem? I think I have a free guitar setup at the place where I bought the guitar so I'm probably gonna do it anyway, but I was wondering if it would make a big difference?

doesntdohomework
Sep 10, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

Is http://www.rondomusic.com/jg1cvtwrs.html an okay acoustic? I know precisely dick about them, but I really like the aesthetics of this one. Everyone says to not go cheap on a guitar, but Rondo is known for making really good budget guitars so I was hoping that would let me get away with it.

I don't REALLY like acoustic(I play Electric), I just want to have one to practice on to broaden my skills, so I was kind of hoping a cheap one would be sufficient.

It's not bad.. fender makes an acoustic kit around 200 that I'd swear by. I'd highly recommend it.

doesntdohomework
Sep 10, 2009

how!! posted:

Here is mt mexi-strat. I bought it about a month ago. I've been practicing about an hour each day (sometimes more than an hour). So far I can play the following chords from memory: A, Am, Bm, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, G, G7. These chords make up a ton of songs, so all weekend I've been trying to learn songs. The thing I'm having trouble with is changing from one chord to the other. If the song is slow, I can usually switch between the chords fine, but if its a fast song my fingers will get tied up.

Also, my guitar came with a thin plastic film over the pick guard. Was I supposed to feel this off? I didn't even notice it was there until about a week of playing. The plastic didn't peel off cleanly, as there are still little bits of plastic that got attached to the screws. Also, when will the skin in my fingers get used to the strings? My strumming thumb is always sore, and the skin of my fingertips on my left hand is starting to peel off. Hella painful.

Don't be afraid to unscrew the screws to get the rest of the film out. Some folks leave it on but I peel the moment I get it home. Have fun with your new strat and checkout https://www.justinguitar.com if you want some free lessons.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

KingColliwog posted:

Will a high action make barre much more difficult? I think my guitar would benefit from a setup since it's really high at the 12th fret, but seems ok at the first.

I'm currently trying to learn barre chords and I'm having a lot of trouble and was wondering if this could be part of the problem? I think I have a free guitar setup at the place where I bought the guitar so I'm probably gonna do it anyway, but I was wondering if it would make a big difference?

Barres are hard anyway, but a high action will make all your playing more difficult since your fingers have to press several times further (and apply more pressure) to get the strings down. I guess there are probably some people out there who are used to high action and just prefer the feel, but I think in general the choice is between low action (where you barely need to touch the strings, good for fast playing but prone to buzzing if you play too hard) and not-as-low action (less buzz, more clearance for lower-tension strings).

If you have a free set up then make use of it, it's better to learn on a guitar that's how it should be, instead of compromising your technique to deal with a bunch of issues. They might replace your strings when they do it (which you might be paying for) so you might want to wait until it's restringing time, but otherwise go for it!

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I guess there are probably some people out there who are used to high action and just prefer the feel
I'm one of these people, on one of my guitars, but because of the sound, not the feel. I strongly recommend it if you want to get a classic big band rhythm sound out of an archtop--high action and decently thick strings really bring them to life.

But that's a very special case. I still encourage anyone starting out to start with low action, and I'm always amazed when I pick up my other main guitar just how much easier it is to play.

And yeah, barres are hard at first no matter what, but high action will be making them much harder.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

baka kaba posted:

Barres are hard anyway, but a high action will make all your playing more difficult since your fingers have to press several times further (and apply more pressure) to get the strings down. I guess there are probably some people out there who are used to high action and just prefer the feel, but I think in general the choice is between low action (where you barely need to touch the strings, good for fast playing but prone to buzzing if you play too hard) and not-as-low action (less buzz, more clearance for lower-tension strings).

If you have a free set up then make use of it, it's better to learn on a guitar that's how it should be, instead of compromising your technique to deal with a bunch of issues. They might replace your strings when they do it (which you might be paying for) so you might want to wait until it's restringing time, but otherwise go for it!

Thanks for the answer. I'll need to restring soon anyway, hope it helps with my playing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundbase
May 26, 2006

Does anyone have any tips for doing 'percussive thumb' type strumming (not really sure what else to call it, sorry!) e.g. John Mayer's Who Says http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v_cDXeAtN8

I get that I need to kind of slap my thumb while flicking out with the nail on my index finger, but how can I get higher levels of accuracy so I'm not just strumming random strings?