Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Oh hey, forgot to report that the trip out to London back in April was fantastic and I absolutely loved the city. You guys are like New York, but cleaner with friendlier people - nice :hfive:

It also helped that I got engaged while there too, so now we have plenty of excused to revisit :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Doh004 posted:

Oh hey, forgot to report that the trip out to London back in April was fantastic and I absolutely loved the city. You guys are like New York, but cleaner with friendlier people - nice :hfive:

It also helped that I got engaged while there too, so now we have plenty of excused to revisit :)

Eat anywhere you liked particularly?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I've been selected as one of the 10 participants of the rib eating contest at Big Easy on July 4th. Free unlimited ribs, and I can win £100. Nice. :toot:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Jeza posted:

Eat anywhere you liked particularly?

Che Bruce, where we got engaged, was absolutely fantastic!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I assume the Doctor died doing what he loved.

[Mildly homophobic innuendo here]

If any of you make a trip down to Brighton whilst the sun's out I enthusiastically recommend a little place by the lanes called Shogun Ramen, better than anything I found in London, and I made a point of looking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh! Well, I didn’t come last, but I didn’t win either. The ribs were ok, but so drat dry, kept having to cover them in their very vinegary bbq sauce (they need to take a leaf out of Bodean’s book and have several sauces).

Also there was some bs with counting the bones. You’d get these huge hunks of meat and tiny little bones. But they’d put two of those bones together and count that as one rib. Which didn’t seem entirely fair. But still, I ate about 8, and the winners (two people tied) did 12. And hey, free ribs.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons Hong Kong goon coming in 2 weeks from now!

was just reading the last 8 pages, thanks for the recommendations, will try dishoom and ye olde Cheshire cheese.

So this is my 4th time in London and the last time I was here only for a week and that was 3 years ago by myself during a cold winter. Great recommendations about salt yard, their technique was really good and one of the more memorable places I have eaten in the world.

This time I’m traveling with with my wife and she had a month head start across Germany and Netherlands. So we will be in London for 8 days before going on a road trip 8 with some Uk grooms to Birmingham, York, Edinburg.

I will be staying near the British museum. We travel for good food and go to Tokyo all the time for seafood and sushi and good meets, and we go to Bangkok for durians and fruits and goon meets.

Can you guys tell me a good
beef Wellington place?
Sunday roast
Someone mentioned Caribbean place, we never tried
I loved borough market, any alternatives?
Cornish pasty - I figure I will drive across the country so I will have time for traditional English food

And wow finally a ramen craze in here as well? So do people get ramen culture and just eat and get the gently caress out? Last time I was waiting a good 45 minutes for some hand made udon because people were lingering after a bowl of udon and flirting “DO YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME SAKE”, gently caress off man it’s an udon stands sorry that was the only thing that made me really mad.

And china town is so different from 15 years ago. Waaaaay more northern and western Chinese cuisines, which as a hong konger is totally fine because most dim sum tastes like rear end, even the ones in Hong Kong :downsrim:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

caberham posted:

Sunday roast
Someone mentioned Caribbean place, we never tried
I loved borough market, any alternatives?
Cornish pasty - I figure I will drive across the country so I will have time for traditional English food

And wow finally a ramen craze in here as well? So do people get ramen culture and just eat and get the gently caress out? Last time I was waiting a good 45 minutes for some hand made udon because people were lingering after a bowl of udon and flirting “DO YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME SAKE”, gently caress off man it’s an udon stands sorry that was the only thing that made me really mad.

And china town is so different from 15 years ago. Waaaaay more northern and western Chinese cuisines, which as a hong konger is totally fine because most dim sum tastes like rear end, even the ones in Hong Kong :downsrim:

Sunday roast - Hawksmoor (I'd advise booking now to make sure, Seven Dials is closest to the British Museum)

Caribbean - Cottons is decent for a sit down meal. There's a ton of small indie virtually home-cooked places all over too, which everyone will have an opinion on.

Spitalfields Market is very foody these days, and has a little caribbean place in it which is good.

Unless you're actually going to Cornwall, a cornish pasty is a cornish pasty everywhere.

No, ramen culture isn't like that here.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Sunday roast - Hawksmoor (I'd advise booking now to make sure, Seven Dials is closest to the British Museum)

Caribbean - Cottons is decent for a sit down meal. There's a ton of small indie virtually home-cooked places all over too, which everyone will have an opinion on.

Spitalfields Market is very foody these days, and has a little caribbean place in it which is good.

Unless you're actually going to Cornwall, a cornish pasty is a cornish pasty everywhere.

No, ramen culture isn't like that here.

Awesome thanks man saving them!

So do people treat ramen like a date or regular restaurant and linger? I finally understood and admire British pub culture because everyone can stand in the wind and not give a gently caress as long as there is a cigarette and a drink on hand. People are masters of conversation, story telling, and bullshitting in a pub.

Is it the same mindset for ramen?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

caberham posted:

Awesome thanks man saving them!

So do people treat ramen like a date or regular restaurant and linger? I finally understood and admire British pub culture because everyone can stand in the wind and not give a gently caress as long as there is a cigarette and a drink on hand. People are masters of conversation, story telling, and bullshitting in a pub.

Is it the same mindset for ramen?

Er, yes, to us it's a restaurant. UK culture doesn't see it as fast food to eat quickly and get out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hawksmoor looks really promising! Will definitely book a table there for Sunday Roast and I will probably go there again before a theatre date - can't go wrong with carefully sourced beef. This might sound weird, but how do the steaks compare to you American Steakhouse? Do they go for that 1.5 inch thick cut like Ruth Chris' or Morton's or your Las Vegas steakhouses? I suppose the typical sides would be different as well, anyways I never really had a British interpretation of steak before so I'm excited!

And thanks for the quick response, I was looking for a beef wellington recommendation online and I found:

Plum milk + split
savoy grill (Gordon Ramsay....)
Simpson in the Strand - they even do a :siren: TimeOut 3 course coupon meal :siren:
Savoy Grill - associated with Savoy Hotel as well, maybe similar to Simpson in the Strand?
London House (Another Gordon Ramsay, they have a branch in Hong Kong :laffo:)

I'm gearing towards Plum Milk + split but if someone knows any better please do tell!

Oh and London goons, how are the traditional British luxury/high end places holding up compared to modern places? The Savoy, Rtiz, Harrod's and all these places used to be top of the world and super high end but it seems like their time has passed and have been eclipsed by the East End and new Money of London. I think globalization and modernization really shrunk their clout. Don't get me wrong, it I'm sure those places are still very enjoyable, but how do the cuisine compare to modern Michelin stars and tastes of internet people?

So yeah, thoughts on High Tea at the Ritz? Over hyped?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

caberham posted:

Hawksmoor looks really promising! Will definitely book a table there for Sunday Roast and I will probably go there again before a theatre date - can't go wrong with carefully sourced beef. This might sound weird, but how do the steaks compare to you American Steakhouse? Do they go for that 1.5 inch thick cut like Ruth Chris' or Morton's or your Las Vegas steakhouses? I suppose the typical sides would be different as well, anyways I never really had a British interpretation of steak before so I'm excited!

And thanks for the quick response, I was looking for a beef wellington recommendation online and I found:

Plum milk + split
savoy grill (Gordon Ramsay....)
Simpson in the Strand - they even do a :siren: TimeOut 3 course coupon meal :siren:
Savoy Grill - associated with Savoy Hotel as well, maybe similar to Simpson in the Strand?
London House (Another Gordon Ramsay, they have a branch in Hong Kong :laffo:)

I'm gearing towards Plum Milk + split but if someone knows any better please do tell!

Oh and London goons, how are the traditional British luxury/high end places holding up compared to modern places? The Savoy, Rtiz, Harrod's and all these places used to be top of the world and super high end but it seems like their time has passed and have been eclipsed by the East End and new Money of London. I think globalization and modernization really shrunk their clout. Don't get me wrong, it I'm sure those places are still very enjoyable, but how do the cuisine compare to modern Michelin stars and tastes of internet people?

So yeah, thoughts on High Tea at the Ritz? Over hyped?

Ruth's Chris is a decent steak but to be honest I think the ones at Hawksmoor are better.

The Savoy Grill is where you want to go for a beef wellington, absolutely superb when I went.

Tea at the Ritz is it's own thing (probably, I haven't actually done it) as a very London thing to do. In terms of high end places you can probably eat as well in London as anywhere in the world, some of the traditional places have been updated (e.g.Savoy) and some like the Ritz are trading more on their history. I had a drink at the bar in the Ritz fairly recently and it was not up to the standard of the best central places. The East End is... very different and doesn't sound like what you are after?

The Berners Tavern is an amazing place to get a drink, and the Artesian Bar at the Langham is another nice bar you could go to. The roof bar at the Mondrian on the South Bank is also great. For dinner I really like Galvin La Chapelle, Marcus, and Claude Bosi at Bibendum.

Obviously this is just expensive stuff and one of the best things about London is you can get great cheap-ish food as well but you would need to be a bit more specific about budget and cuisine etc.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Looking for recommendations near the V&A for an early dinner. Hoping for Lebanese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani but really open to most things as long as there are decent vegetarian options (one omnivore, one veggie). Under £20pp before drinks would be ideal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

greazeball posted:

Looking for recommendations near the V&A for an early dinner. Hoping for Lebanese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani but really open to most things as long as there are decent vegetarian options (one omnivore, one veggie). Under £20pp before drinks would be ideal.

For Japanese, Tombo is just around the corner. Very reasonable, and way under your budget.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Lots of options, Maroush express in old Brompton road for Lebanese, Ceru in Bute Street does levantine, and is super good. Both might be stretching your budget though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Any shouts re: Marylebone and adjoining areas?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Normally I don't plan my restaurants and just either show up, or wait in line and go watch a movie and come back. But being a tourist and in UK, I can't believe I'm planning my meals.

knox_harrington posted:

Ruth's Chris is a decent steak but to be honest I think the ones at Hawksmoor are better.

The Savoy Grill is where you want to go for a beef wellington, absolutely superb when I went.

Tea at the Ritz is it's own thing (probably, I haven't actually done it) as a very London thing to do. In terms of high end places you can probably eat as well in London as anywhere in the world, some of the traditional places have been updated (e.g.Savoy) and some like the Ritz are trading more on their history. I had a drink at the bar in the Ritz fairly recently and it was not up to the standard of the best central places. The East End is... very different and doesn't sound like what you are after?

The Berners Tavern is an amazing place to get a drink, and the Artesian Bar at the Langham is another nice bar you could go to. The roof bar at the Mondrian on the South Bank is also great. For dinner I really like Galvin La Chapelle, Marcus, and Claude Bosi at Bibendum.

Obviously this is just expensive stuff and one of the best things about London is you can get great cheap-ish food as well but you would need to be a bit more specific about budget and cuisine etc.

Thanks for the recommendation,

I think a lot of high end places need a reservation, and I probably picked enough, so here's a rundown

23 - Arrive in the afternoon, I will be jet lagged, I will probably walk around Russell square and settle for Pret. Or better yet, Marks and Spencer! Check out the socks as well
24 - Tea at Clairidge's, no need for suit and tie will just wear smart casual, Watch a musical and have dinner at a pub after
25 - Something fast, either cheap end no frills, or some random place near Soho and use my food radar, Dinner at GymKhana/Jamavar help me pick please
26 - Lunch at A Wong or Yautcha - My wife will probably crave some good Chinese food, the one time she had Chinese food in Netherlands was garbage. I'm kind of shocked by the prices of A Wong but intrigued even though their new menu is in a word document and each dim sum is per piece - he seems to be more in the gourmet culinary department and playing with new ingredients. Whereas looking at the menu of Yautcha they are in a Chinese cultural identity mess. Using a Eastern Chinese landscape to show case southern Chinese dim sum :laffo: The dim sum items look fine, they basically copied the Four Seasons Hong Kong. Dinner at Cottons (Do I need to reserve for Cottons?)
27 - Some burger/BBQ/American place for lunch. Dinner at Salt yard, I really liked it there last time, so hopefully my wife will enjoy it as well
28 - LONDON FOOD GOON MEET, Yeah actually I just made this up but it would be nice to meet up with you guys for dinner. Something cheap and accessible I guess? I won't be a food snob unless we go there together.
29 - Hawksmoor Sunday roast and food market time
30 - bah I'm so done planning unless you guys want me to go to a place, maybe just go to Harrods and see how antiquated they are. Dinner at Claude Bosi at Bibendum?
31 - quick lunch in Windsor, pick up my friend in heathrow around 4 - off to Northern England where it's local food. Probably pub food, a Chinese takeaway, an Indian place, more chippies, and seafood along the coast

Man So I noticed most of the places I listed where heavier on meat. We love seafood and can never get enough. Are there cheap but good oyster places around London? We can take a 1 hour train there if need be.

I still can't believe there's actually a YaoHan mall in UK. The Chinese love for Japanese culture weaboo spirit is still alive. 50 minutes train, I'm debating if I should go there. Is the decor now the same as the old or is Bang Bang mall super modern now? If they sell red bean doriyaki, I gotta go and connect with my Asian Immigrants. And drink up some green schweppes cream soda

caberham fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 16, 2018

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
drat, I'm away for the 28th. You can get to quite a lot of the coast in ~1hr which is maybe your best bet for good seafood, and is also super English.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I had some great seafood out in Kent. Whitstable I think it was. Easy day trip. The place was called Lobster Shack but they had loads of other things too. Likely to be crazy busy this time of year so try to go on a weekday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The only thing I know about Whitstable is that Peter Cushing lived there.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Sportsman in Whitstable is one of the very best restaurants in Britain, but it's loving impossible to get a booking there these days. I tried about six weeks ago and they had no weekend times available this side of Christmas.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

greazeball posted:

Bout a week late but Bosphorus is a rad kebab shop nearby. I'll bat for it for any future goons in the V&A/Science museum/NHM area.

Dozo nearby is also good for Japanese food and has a good weekday lunch deal.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm just going to say I don't get the love for Bosphorous. They have decent kebab meat with cheap pitta bread and a ton of cheap salad. Beirut express next door has shawarma that is infinitely better imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not quite England, but I’m in Dublin for a couple days - any suggestions on places to eat? Irishy stuff ideally, tho if that’s better found elsewhere that’s fine too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
SHOTS FIRED

:rip:

more like not at all since it’s another freaking country and it separated from UK

I got yelled by a few defensive Irish a few times :smith:

There’s also the general Europe travel thread good luck

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 22, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

caberham posted:

SHOTS FIRED

:rip:

more like not at all since it’s another freaking country and it separated from UK

I got yelled by a few defensive Irish a few times :smith:

There’s also the general Europe travel thread good luck

More than a few times I've encouraged drunk people with no sense at my old regular Irish pub to go to the bartender and say "that's a really interesting accent, what part of England are you from?" Always a classic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am aware that Ireland is not the UK that is why I said “not quite” eat my butt

Doesn’t matter I’m eating fry ups all vacation anyway.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

My only Irish recommendation is try to have some real soda bread and butter for breakfast while you are there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And white pudding.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Irish Potato Farls. Like Scottish tattie scones, but better.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ibblebibble posted:

Bout a week late but Bosphorus is a rad kebab shop nearby. I'll bat for it for any future goons in the V&A/Science museum/NHM area.

Dozo nearby is also good for Japanese food and has a good weekday lunch deal.

Bosphorus has been good since the mid 90s.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Not quite England, but I’m in Dublin for a couple days - any suggestions on places to eat? Irishy stuff ideally, tho if that’s better found elsewhere that’s fine too.

Bojum Burritos has several places now and it is great lunchtime stuff but it is obviously not irish.

For something Irish try The Boxty house, I can't remember the adress but it's a short walk from Ha'penny Bridge. A boxty is like a pancake with savory filling.

And do yourself a favour and take the commuter train to Hoath. It takes 30 mins or so and is a really nice coastal town with tons of fish restaurants. I recommend The Oar House on the pier. Pun included.
(if you have time, walk one of the cliffpaths, they vary in length, are easy to follow and the view is gorgeous).

Generally always check if the places have an early dinner menu. Usually that's from say 3pm to 5 pm or so and is significantly cheaper. Kinda like pre-theather deals in London.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no I want a boxty now. :negative: Will keep an eye out.

We’ll going to Kinsale and Dingle next so good times are coming.

The_Doctor posted:

And white pudding.

Black pudding :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Black pudding :colbert:

Both.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Grey pudding

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am sorry to say that we’ve eaten more times at Subway and Burger King than we have anything else in this trip. Genuinely disappointed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I am sorry to say that we’ve eaten more times at Subway and Burger King than we have anything else in this trip. Genuinely disappointed.

:frogout:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Why on earth did you do that?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My stomach weeps for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just got in yesterday, went to wacky grill in the evening and the beef Wellington was interesting. Too bad it wasn’t a whole piece but just 4 slices total, it’s solid.

Food wise tonight I’m gonna try a casual chippy or pub food

And do hawksmoor tonight.

Tomorrow evening will have gooooon dinner at an Indian place that’s not tayyabs or dishoom.

Man still haven’t tried salt yard but im looking forward to it again