Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
as The Guy Who Writes Night Vale, here's my opinions from back when I read them during high school/college

The Gunslinger: boring as gently caress. barely made it through.
The Drawing of the Three: not as boring.
The Wastelands: oh my god this one is not good at all.
Wizard and Glass: pretty good if I remember right. I think the non-flashback stuff kind of sucked.
Wolves of the Calla: pretty funny, and I love the metafiction stuff. finally felt like he wasn't taking himself so seriously.
Song of Susannah: same note as previous.
The Dark Tower: I remember almost nothing about this book.

The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Speaking of influences, maxnmona, your love of humor-in-repeated-phrases and other similar stuff reminds me of Robert Shearman, who wrote a few Doctor Who audio plays (The Chimes of Midnight, Jubilee, The Holy Terror, and more) and who is one of my favorite writers of "genre fiction", as it were. Have you any familiarity with his work?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Speaking of influences, maxnmona, your love of humor-in-repeated-phrases and other similar stuff reminds me of Robert Shearman, who wrote a few Doctor Who audio plays (The Chimes of Midnight, Jubilee, The Holy Terror, and more) and who is one of my favorite writers of "genre fiction", as it were. Have you any familiarity with his work?

I have not heard of him.

Most of our language style comes from Deb Olin Unferth and Will Eno.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He's quite good if you can "put up with" Doctor Who as a storytelling style. All the stories I mentioned are almost perfectly stand-alone, and are about 3bux each as DRM-free downloads at BigFinish.com.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Hey yall I have a new Disparition album out on Friday. Kind of a new direction. Here are a couple preview tracks to check out

https://soundcloud.com/disparition/analog
https://soundcloud.com/disparition/song-for-the-other-side

These are just amazing, Analog especially out of the two. Definitely putting down money for this when I get the chance.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I don't think the computer is possessed by Buddy Holly, but anything's possible in Night Vale.

Depends; was the computer anywhere near Dark Owl Records at any time?

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
I'm going to second the Robert Shearman recommendation and point out that you can read a bunch of his short fiction for free on this website. Just click on any of the names in the sidebar. He definitely writes that Night Vale-ish mixture of bizarre alternate realities with mundane problems.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Less than a week until a new show and a little more than a week until the live show. Good way to start and end off what would normally be an exceedingly lackluster week of vacation. Just found out that Dessa would be playing the live show, so that's a drat fine bonus on top of it all!

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Wish I could go to the NY show, especially since I heard who was going to be doing The Weather for it. :argh:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Priss In Plate posted:

Wish I could go to the NY show, especially since I heard who was going to be doing The Weather for it. :argh:

I am missing it too because a Jewish holiday, but I am going to the fanfic reading this week. Anyone going to that? Want to listen to a goon read slash fiction? It would make Lowtax's head explode.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

I am missing it too because a Jewish holiday, but I am going to the fanfic reading this week. Anyone going to that? Want to listen to a goon read slash fiction? It would make Lowtax's head explode.

I was going to ask if this is a thing that really exists, but of course it is. Then I was going to ask why it is a thing that exists, but I already know the answer to that too. Humanity is doomed.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I was going to ask if this is a thing that really exists, but of course it is. Then I was going to ask why it is a thing that exists, but I already know the answer to that too. Humanity is doomed.

She's talking about this

http://www.thebellhouseny.com/event/563569-shipwreck-word-present-brooklyn/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh thank god. I was thinking it was something much...darker. And not done tongue in cheek. I'm very glad to be wrong.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Oh thank god. I was thinking it was something much...darker. And not done tongue in cheek. I'm very glad to be wrong.

Oh! No, I don't think they're going to be reading our fanfic anytime soon, for any amount of money.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

Oh! No, I don't think they're going to be reading our fanfic anytime soon, for any amount of money.

I didn't think they would be doing it. I was thinking of just a group of people getting together to give readings of their own fan fic. Which I'm sure does actually happen...

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I didn't think they would be doing it. I was thinking of just a group of people getting together to give readings of their own fan fic. Which I'm sure does actually happen...

The authors of the grossest, most embarrassing fic are usually depressingly normal in real life. And 10 years younger than you hoped they were.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Question: Are we getting three podcasts in June? (1st, the recording of the live June 4th show, and the 15th) Or is the live recording one going to replace the podcast for the 1st or 15th? Or will the live recording be released later on?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

June 1st is separate episode.

June 15 is recording of live show.

Actually, given the length of the live show, it's likely going to be:

June 15: recording of live show part 1

July 1: recording of live show part 2

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
How long is the live show going to be? I kinda hope it'll be just a single episode, because I don't know if I can handle a fifteen day break in the middle. :ohdear:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

How long is the live show going to be? I kinda hope it'll be just a single episode, because I don't know if I can handle a fifteen day break in the middle. :ohdear:

Hard to say when no one's performed it. Live shows range between 50-75 minutes.

90% sure it will be split into 2 parts, partly to not release an 80 minute podcast all at once, and partly to give ourselves a little bit of a break going into the summer.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

maxnmona posted:

Hard to say when no one's performed it. Live shows range between 50-75 minutes.

90% sure it will be split into 2 parts, partly to not release an 80 minute podcast all at once, and partly to give ourselves a little bit of a break going into the summer.

What about the live show from June 4th? Is that the same one we're talking about?

Also, congrats on winning third place in tonight's contest, though I think the term "slash fiction" was used very loosely for the contest in general. Way more straight orgies than I expected to hear about.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

What about the live show from June 4th? Is that the same one we're talking about?

Also, congrats on winning third place in tonight's contest, though I think the term "slash fiction" was used very loosely for the contest in general. Way more straight orgies than I expected to hear about.

It was an erotic fan fiction contest, not a slash fiction contest.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

maxnmona posted:

It was an erotic fan fiction contest, not a slash fiction contest.

I don't know where my brain read "slash."

Well, bang-up job then.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Has the Librarian live episode been released as a podcast episode, and if not, will it ever be released as a podcast or paid episode? Is the two-parter you're talking about something different?

maxnmona posted:

You should pay Kyle Hebert, the announcer from Dragonball Z, to do the ending for the first part. "Find out next time on Welcome to Night Vale!"

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

BiggerJ posted:

Has the Librarian live episode been released as a podcast episode, and if not, will it ever be released as a podcast or paid episode? Is the two-parter you're talking about something different?

You should pay Kyle Hebert, the announcer from Dragonball Z, to do the ending for the first part. "Find out next time on Welcome to Night Vale!"

The Librarian is our touring episode, and won't be released while we're still using it as a touring episode, which we will for the foreseeable future since we have it completely down at this point and we are so far going to only places we haven't done it yet.

The June 4 show is a completely different script that will only be done live once.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

The June 4 show is a completely different script that will only be done live once.

Well, twice technically

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
He is holding a cat

I love this loving show so god drat much.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Holy poo poo that episode. Cannot wait for the 4th!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

He is holding a cat

I love this loving show so god drat much.

I need that quote on a shirt or poster right this goddamn second.

My face when Lauren said they sent Daniel to take pictures of the kittens. :stare:

I actually feel sorry for Daniel. It sounded like Lauren had him doing all her bitch work.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man the swelling up of the Night Vale opening music was incredible. Like, just wow. A fantastic use of the audio format.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just starting listening to today's episode. GOD drat IT! gently caress you StrexCorp! :argh:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
For some reason I find it endlessly amusing that WTNV has become such a blistering critique of the Protestant work ethic.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I got misty-eyed like... twice during that episode. It was amazing. I'd never been so happy and relieved to hear Cecil's voice. And he's so worried about Carlos. :ohdear: So excited for the anniversary episode.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Kevin's voice when he mockingly repeated what the whispering forest said, like "Oh, I'm a big sissy forest, get away from me!" was hilarious.
The rest of the episode was incredible too, of course.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

dragon_pamcake posted:

I need that quote on a shirt or poster right this goddamn second.

My face when Lauren said they sent Daniel to take pictures of the kittens. :stare:

I actually feel sorry for Daniel. It sounded like Lauren had him doing all her bitch work.

I love the fact that no one likes Lauren. Not even the Whispering Forest. :allears:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Released a breathe I didn't know I'd been holding when Cecil spoke. Physical, palpable feeling of relief. Really awesome work on this episode.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo it's going to be a long wait until the 15th...

Now I want a video of this week's weather that's Kevin and Lauren running from the angels through the hallways of the radio station, because that's all I could picture as I listened to it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
:siren: OTTAWA SHOW OTTAWA SHOW OTTAWA SHOW :siren:

When do tickets go on sale??????

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My computer speakers pick up short wave radio and someone started broadcasting at the point where Kevin and Lauren were talking about the picture having changed making me think it was a military attack

Really love how this episode went

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy poo poo it's going to be a long wait until the 15th...

Now I want a video of this week's weather that's Kevin and Lauren running from the angels through the hallways of the radio station, because that's all I could picture as I listened to it.

And Cecil's line just before the weather, "While whatever happens next, happens," is a little chilling, what with that tone of voice.

Possibly a lot of redecorating in that video. Or maybe something more reminiscent of Scooby-Doo chasing villains.