Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bestbuy now has p series orders working. 60" with movers guide ship to store for $1529. Hell of a deal.

Will have to decide to feed it a 4k/30hz feed from my htpc or 1080p/120hz

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
The bj's by me has a display model of the LG 55ga6450 for $567. If this tv is in good working order was offered with a extended warranty, would this be a good deal?

I'm just looking for a good panel. I already have a roku 3 and a chrome cast.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A calibrator on avsforum is getting 17ms latency off the hdmi5 port on a 55" vizio p series!

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Don Lapre posted:

A calibrator on avsforum is getting 17ms latency off the hdmi5 port on a 55" vizio p series!

Went to go and buy the 60 inch of this tv today. Costco only had the 70 and Best Buy said it was "online order only". Guess it's not meant to be!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Went to go and buy the 60 inch of this tv today. Costco only had the 70 and Best Buy said it was "online order only". Guess it's not meant to be!

Yea, the 70's showed up early at costco. I have a 60" on order for store pickup by wednesday. I bet costco gets the 60's next week.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, the 70's showed up early at costco. I have a 60" on order for store pickup by wednesday. I bet costco gets the 60's next week.

I hope you get it. The 60 no longer shows on their website

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

I hope you get it. The 60 no longer shows on their website

It is for bestbuy which is where im getting it from.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-p...=p602&cp=1&lp=1

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm comparing Samsung 75" LED TVs, i.e. the 6 series and 7 series, and I'm having trouble telling the difference between the two.

They don't seem to mention refresh rate for comparison (WHY NOT?), while non-meaningful things like 'clear motion rate' are 400 vs 960 and I have to consider between nebulous terms such as MICRO DIMMING and MICRO DIMMING PRO. Is there any practical difference here to justify the extra $1000? I just want a reliable TV (and I like Samsung I guess) in 75" that will run whatever I'm watching which is like 50% HD sports, 30% non-HD whatever, 15% blu-ray movies, 5% gaming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mills posted:

I'm comparing Samsung 75" LED TVs, i.e. the 6 series and 7 series, and I'm having trouble telling the difference between the two.

They don't seem to mention refresh rate for comparison (WHY NOT?), while non-meaningful things like 'clear motion rate' are 400 vs 960 and I have to consider between nebulous terms such as MICRO DIMMING and MICRO DIMMING PRO. Is there any practical difference here to justify the extra $1000? I just want a reliable TV (and I like Samsung I guess) in 75" that will run whatever I'm watching which is like 50% HD sports, 30% non-HD whatever, 15% blu-ray movies, 5% gaming.

7 series has "ultra clear panel" which sounds like it absorbs more light so should have less reflection and better blacks.
Im guessing micro dimming pro just has more zones than micro dimming.
The 7 series has better built in audio if you need that

You should also find reviews with measurements like black level as the panels could be very different.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

You should also find reviews with measurements like black level as the panels could be very different.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what does this mean?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mills posted:

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what does this mean?

How black/dark a screen can get. One display may appear gray instead of black, especially next to a blacker panel.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've been trying to figure out which TV to buy, and am considering the UE48H6470.

However I also am looking at the 50LB650V which costs a similar amount and seems to have more features (passive 3D, 100Hz more refresh rate, 2" larger), but I don't know which one has the better image quality.

What do you guys recommend?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

For that have soundbars, can you get away with laying them under the tv or do they have to be wall mounted?

I'm looking at the standard Vizio soundbars or the Klipsch model.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

For that have soundbars, can you get away with laying them under the tv or do they have to be wall mounted?

They are designed for both. Many even have an IR repeater since they may block your tv's IR spot.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Tab8715 posted:

The Vizio soundbars are nice if you have a Vizio TV since it automatically syncs up with your regular remote and you never have to touch the little soundbar remote again.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Joe Man posted:

The Vizio soundbars are nice if you have a Vizio TV since it automatically syncs up with your regular remote and you never have to touch the little soundbar remote again.

FYI vizio tv remote can control most any soundbar/receiver

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have a vizio soundbar under my Samsung plasma in the living room. It works great, and I set the TiVo remote to control it as an AV receiver.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sonos soundbar will also work with any remote.

I am excited by these Vizio P-series -- Don Lapre please post impressions when you get it!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
My 7 years old 40" HD ready TV just broke down, and even though it can probably be fixed easily by replacing the capacitors (according to Google anyway) I am taking this opportunity to get myself a Smart TV, as Netflix just became available in my country last week (Finally).

Usually I never buy anything without thoroughly researching everything about it, but since my OH told me she "needed" her TV asap I'm kind of under pressure to get it before the week is over.

I have a rather okay history with Samsung electronics, so I am inclined to get one once again.
A local store is currently offering a UE46H6203 for €599 instead of the regular retail price of... erm, between 599 and 899 according to various websites. That price or less is pretty much what I want to spend.

Could you guys who know more about modern TV's tell me if this is a good buy?

What I am looking for in my TV :
-needs to be just a little bigger than my previous one (check)
-good image quality (1080p is enough for me)
-Netflix or similar streaming compatible (+DLNA)
-Good enough for some gaming when my OH is out of the door and I want to play internet spaceships on 40+"
-3D or special multimedia fluff is not required, as I wouldn't use my TV for that anyway

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BB just notified me my 60" P is ready to pickup. Will have it setup tonight!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vizio p series installed. Looks great, but havn't done anything but change it to calibrated dark. Will calibrate and setup netflix and poo poo tonight.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Vizio p series installed. Looks great, but havn't done anything but change it to calibrated dark. Will calibrate and setup netflix and poo poo tonight.

Sway me with your impressions! The 2 Costco's that I have been to had it set up on a bad 1080 feed

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Sway me with your impressions! The 2 Costco's that I have been to had it set up on a bad 1080 feed

Ill calibrate it and check some 4k content tonight. Im gonna try to get my htpc doing 1080p/120hz right now.

Netlfix and youtube 4k look amazing. Its like 2002 all over again watching HD nature clips.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 24, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IF anyone is looking for a tv for gaming..

Vizio had one more demo involving video games. The same input that implements HDMI 2.0 can accept 1080p/120 signals and offers extremely low input-lag times. It's almost as if Vizio crammed an entirely different TV into the same box—a high-performance HDTV aimed at gamers. (In this mode, virtually all processing is bypassed, and each pixel in the 1080/ image is simply quadrupled with no interpolation.) That feature alone makes it worth serious consideration for anyone who uses a TV as a monitor on his or her high-end PC gaming rig.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1698321-vizio-officially-debuts-p-series-led-lcd-uhdtvs.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've been trying to keep on all the P-Series threads (AVS,HardOCP,etc) but no one has been able to get the P-Series to work at 1080p/120hz or 4k/60hz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

I've been trying to keep on all the P-Series threads (AVS,HardOCP,etc) but no one has been able to get the P-Series to work at 1080p/120hz or 4k/60hz.

Yea, im gonna hook my htpc up tonight to the hdmi 5 and see what happens. Only have integrated intel though down there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Also,

I've been trying to follow all the chat but the rumor is that the same panel that's in the P-Series 65" is also going to be the R-Series 65".

If that's true then the 65" is the one to get.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Also,

I've been trying to follow all the chat but the rumor is that the same panel that's in the P-Series 65" is also going to be the R-Series 65".

If that's true then the 65" is the one to get.

The 65" still wont support HDR. I think all of them are using 10 bit panels for the p series.

Also, 4k youtube is amazing. On a 60" @ 10ft away i can easily tell. MKBHD's videos look especially good.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Looking for a good TV where number one priority is minimal problems watching ice hockey. OLED is out due to price.

Is the OP recommendation of any display with 120+Mhz still valid, or does ice hockey have it's own challenges that should be addressed?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Looking for a good TV where number one priority is minimal problems watching ice hockey. OLED is out due to price.

Is the OP recommendation of any display with 120+Mhz still valid, or does ice hockey have it's own challenges that should be addressed?

Ice hockey needs even lighting. My old panasonic plasma from ~2006 was perfect as far as how hockey looked. When I bought a Samsung plasma in ~2011 or so, it was lousy - very very obvious "mottling" where the whites were uneven that was super super visible during high motion with a white background. I think it was probably a bad panel, but still. On my 2014 Sharp 70UQ17U which is an edge-lit LED, it looks pretty decent. All the mottling on that TV is really only noticeable on black backgrounds and not white ones. So based on this very limited dataset you should either get an expensive plasma (the samsung I have is kind of a lovely one) or a decent LED TV. I think in general most LED TVs will have their lighting problems with blacks and not whites and will therefore handle hockey better in general than a plasma, but I'm far from an expert. As far as the 120hz asepct goes, mine is 240 and I haven't noticed any annoying motion blur type issues. The plasma inherently does not have said issues, so it wins on that front. Really if they'd make huge plasmas for a reasonable price with good quality control I'd buy plasmas for the rest of my life.

Disclaimer: I watch 1-2 hockey games every night on GCL through boxee at one point, then x360, then xbone, but I don't know all that much about TVs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of people have issues with hockey on plasma due to ABL. The switch between full white and partial white causes extreme brightness swings as ABL kicks in to limit the power output of the panel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you buy an LED make sure it does not have a reputation for the 'dirty screen effect'. It's something that can happen with LCD TVs where on pans across light uniform colors it looks like your screen is dirty. Hockey has a lot of light uniform color with the ice, and obviously pans a whole lot. It's not a super noticeable thing but you definitely want to avoid it.

If this is broadcasted hockey, motion interpolation definitely makes a difference during play. It looks a lot nicer. It will make intermission and commercials look weird though.

If you're going to be streaming you don't want it because streams are not 60fps and you get ghosting issues.

Whether the TV is 60, 120, 240 or anything else doesn't actually matter, though obviously with a 60Hz you don't get the option of motion interpolation.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

If you're going to be streaming you don't want it because streams are not 60fps and you get ghosting issues.

GCL now does maybe not 60fps but something close to it. Maybe 48 or something. I haven't streamed anything since I bought this new TV, but it's definitely higher and much smoother than it used to be in the past. If the person asking the question is buying now I can't be much help but if they're waiting til the season starts I can report back.

Edit: Obviously 48 will still lead to ghosting.

Edit 2: Nothing says what it is so I filed a support request asking what it actually is.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 25, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

GCL now does maybe not 60fps but something close to it. Maybe 48 or something. I haven't streamed anything since I bought this new TV, but it's definitely higher and much smoother than it used to be in the past. If the person asking the question is buying now I can't be much help but if they're waiting til the season starts I can report back.

Edit: Obviously 48 will still lead to ghosting.

Edit 2: Nothing says what it is so I filed a support request asking what it actually is.

GCL support got back to me, 720p 30fps. It seemed a bit higher than that to me last year, but that's probably what it is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The real issue though is that even with the best internet connection you can get a livestream is never solid, so it's best to leave the smoothing off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The 65" still wont support HDR. I think all of them are using 10 bit panels for the p series.

HDR is a backlighting thing, yeah?

Do you think it makes a lot of difference?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

sellouts posted:

HDR is a backlighting thing, yeah?

Do you think it makes a lot of difference?

I can't understand half of what I read on avsforum due to the fact they say childish things like "Panny" and "Sammy" but I think it may have something to do with Dolby Vision and how it will probably be added to the UHD spec like Dolby Digital was to the HD spec.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That doesn't answer my question really. What does any of that mean to my eyes?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Finally moving out of my dorm-sized room and getting a house. Time to upgrade from my trusty 2006 32in Samsung LCD which to this day has zero blown pixels or issues, despite getting me through college and like 5 moves.

I'd like to upgrade in size, so I was thinking probably 55in (but 50in could do as well if the price was right). My living room is probably on the smaller/medium size range. I'll upgrade to 4K in a few years so I'm not worried about it being the best and lasting 8 years like my last one.

I watch sports (football primarily, some baseball, followed by a little hockey). My fiance pretty much only watches Netflix and we watch movies together frequently. I may get a console in the future but for now gaming isn't much of an issue. So, I'd say my needs aren't too specialized. I'm mostly going for size.

Here's a couple of options that I found at Costco that seem comparable:
Vizio $649):
http://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-E550i-B2.product.100100315.html

Samsung $900):
http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-UN55H6300AFXZA.product.100108480.html

JVC ($550):
http://www.costco.com/JVC-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-EM55FTR.product.100103365.html

Are these comparable at all? Obviously I need to go see them in person, but on the surface why would the Samsung be so much more expensive? [Tell] me what to do

edit: another one I just saw is this Samsung plasma that's only $700. Whats the deal here, is it last year's model or something? Seems very cheap for a Samsung http://www.costco.com/Samsung-60%22-Class-1080p-600Hz-Plasma-HDTV-PN60F5300BFXZA.product.100110098.html#BVRRWidgetID

moon demon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

sellouts posted:

That doesn't answer my question really. What does any of that mean to my eyes?

"oooohhhh, pretty colors"