Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoutPatrol posted:

Sometimes Blame it On Outer Space is very boring, other times it has Szyszka saying Szyszka things, and because he is the funniest one on WHM, its good. It also has a :krad: theme.

He's also my favorite of the WHM guys which is why it's so weird that BioOS was kind of a flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I dunno what you guys are talking about, Blame It On Outer Space is (was?) amazing. If you're a weirdo like me who finds conspiracy theories fascinating and hilarious you'll love it. I highly recommend the crop circles, Nazi UFOs, and Denver International Airport episodes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Sawbones is okaaaaay
I only listened to the episode on the guy with the hole in his stomach who gets experimented on (because the Dollop did it too and I thought it would be fun to see how the story changes if a doctor instead of a comedian tells it). The concept just works way better if you have two funny people riffing together instead of one guy saying crazy things and his wife going "loool you're so crazy" once per minute.

CherryDoom
Jul 5, 2005

SIGH
I tried out Blame It On Outer Space for a bit because I love the subject matter, and it was okay for awhile, but he got a permanent cohost I really didn't like, and the stuff just wasn't presented in a consistently interesting way. If you like that sort of thing (sorry for suggesting a podcast only tangentially related to this thread) you should check out Blurry Photos. They cover many of the same topics but It's almost always either hilarious or told in a very compelling manner.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Sometimes Blame it On Outer Space is very boring, other times it has Szyszka saying Szyszka things, and because he is the funniest one on WHM, its good. It also has a :krad: theme.

Steve is the funniest one on WHM, though.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Blame It On Outer Space was created as a performance space for me to gain confidence, try new things, and play around. A sandbox, really. In early days of WHM and hell even now sometimes, I was a bit nervous about performing (even on a podcast) so I wanted more practice. I have no improv training like Andrew and Steve have cultivated over the years (also one of many reasons why they are funnier than I am.) I was going to start trying out standup but after going to a couple of open mics, it felt somewhat useless to me to tell jokes to a room of only other comedians waiting to go up. I wanted more of an audience, which I had in podcasting, and I think it helps to have an audience to know what works and doesn’t. Unfortunately, a lot of what I used to find funny about BIOOS not many other people did. This is not to say the show didn’t have its fans, it did. I still get emails asking for me to keep it going.

I never realized people only judge things as "its great" or "it sucks" -- had I known, I may not have done it. The show had phases, me trying more anti-comedy (some of those monologues), me trying more satire (switching to being a believer character), me trying more absurdist (characters, show mythology). I liked moving it around. I know that might be a "mistake" for podcasting wherein people demand absolute consistency. However, I was doing the show for myself first and foremost (don't worry, the download numbers reflect that as well.)

A lot of the 'radio play' stuff that seems the most objected to here really just harken back to Ben and I wanting do some Conan O'Brien-esque comedy bits. I met Ben when we were both interning for him. We loved guys like Brian Stack, the insane characters, and Conan playing along like it all belonged in this world. Although in hindsight, it was odd having the host no longer be the ‘straight man’ and Ben (my Andy Richter) having that role instead. Having guests also was an attempt to spoof a talk show.

It was awkward at times (many guests I had just met prior to recording) but that was the whole point -- to me getting over being awkward. As for the show being bad, I found it hard sometimes to gel with people who aren't as quick to jump on a joke like I'm used to. I wish I rolled with the punches more, I am sorry to the listener for that. I am by no means a professional anything yet. I'm just some guy.

Since the majority of the guests who showed up to do the show, never listened to it before, I figured familiarity would help -- so I added Ben as a co-host and eventually, Rich. Figured a ‘roundtable’ might work better. Also I kept having guests not show up (my two-person episodes with Ben are because of this). This summer Rich quit comedy and standup so it really felt like the show's run was concluding and I think 3 years was a fine enough run. Nothing lasts forever and I don’t think this was ever supposed to, but I oddly almost felt obligated. I was considering ending it years ago. It was very hard to juggle between WHM, BIOOS, a personal life, and a 9-5 fulltime job.

At the end of the day I’m just a guy with a desk job and was lucky to even be invited to participate in WHM. Really thank you for listening to BIOOS. A lot of the comments here have really stuck with me and I hope to become a better performer and person for it.

Eric

P.S. I created this account because I heard Slenderman was created here. Then I found this stuff and have to sincerely thank each and every one of you for discussing any of these shows!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Now I feel bad I said Steve is the funniest on WHM. I STILL THINK YOU'RE FUNNY, ERIC!

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
Hey Erik. Thanks for the post. It's great to get some background.

Like others have said, I think you are the funniest on the show, keep it up man. Thanks for the entertainment.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

Beeez posted:

Now I feel bad I said Steve is the funniest on WHM. I STILL THINK YOU'RE FUNNY, ERIC!

I knew I shouldn't have commented! I didn't comment to be called funny, just to explain the behind the scenes issues with BIOOS and why it was arranged the way it was. For some reason 90% of WHM discussion is who is the funniest. Let's talk about something else like how it's COLUMBUS DAY, JEREMY!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GoutPatrol posted:

I tried it out last night, and yeah its quality is variable but when it's good, it's great.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

BlameSpacePod posted:

I knew I shouldn't have commented! I didn't comment to be called funny, just to explain the behind the scenes issues with BIOOS and why it was arranged the way it was. For some reason 90% of WHM discussion is who is the funniest. Let's talk about something else like how it's COLUMBUS DAY, JEREMY!

I'm just joking, I do think you're a funny guy but I know you don't need the reassurance. I wonder if Trickster has moved onto apps at this point or if he's gone the way of so many '90s games companies.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Beeez posted:

I'm just joking, I do think you're a funny guy but I know you don't need the reassurance. I wonder if Trickster has moved onto apps at this point or if he's gone the way of so many '90s games companies.

JEREMY! I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO IMPLEMENT OUR IAP IN THE NEW RELEASE!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

I only listened to the episode on the guy with the hole in his stomach who gets experimented on (because the Dollop did it too and I thought it would be fun to see how the story changes if a doctor instead of a comedian tells it). The concept just works way better if you have two funny people riffing together instead of one guy saying crazy things and his wife going "loool you're so crazy" once per minute.
Well to be fair I'm not subscribed to it or listening to it anymore and don't really plan to...I just don't find it quite as intolerable as most MaxFun shows. It's firmly mediocre for me.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I am a BIOS fan and I called into the last call-in. I guess you gotta just be like me and be fascinated by Art Bell and annoyed that Coast to Coast AM is no longer about aliens and mostly just talks about Angels and poo poo.

SEE YA LATER Eric Boy.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BlameSpacePod posted:

Sincere words about a personal experience.

Don't sign your posts, loving noob.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I do kind of want to see a movie about an evil iphone app at this point.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I do kind of want to see a movie about an evil iphone app at this point.

terminator genisys?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

De Nomolos posted:

I am a BIOS fan and I called into the last call-in. I guess you gotta just be like me and be fascinated by Art Bell and annoyed that Coast to Coast AM is no longer about aliens and mostly just talks about Angels and poo poo.

SEE YA LATER Eric Boy.

I was so shocked when I heard BIOOS was over. Enough to turn a dude kid's hair white.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Really surprised to hear that Eric Movie keeps 9-5 office hours. That's some admirable work ethic!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Nice to see Eric Movie show up in this thread!

De Nomolos posted:

SEE YA LATER Eric Boy.

I definitely heard that in my head in the "Errand Boy" voice. Goddamn it, whenever anyone said "SEEEEEYA laaaAAATER" on that GI Joe episode I cracked up.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blame it on outerspace was like a chat show where every single person was Joel Hodgson.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Blame it on outerspace was like a chat show where every single person was Joel Hodgson.

A little sleepy but really fun and good?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Eric seems like a chill dude, I'm glad he posts on here sometimes. Really been cracking me up on these last couple episodes too, keep up the good work!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kdrudy posted:

A little sleepy but really fun and good?

Exactly

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Nice to see Eric Movie show up in this thread!

I definitely heard that in my head in the "Errand Boy" voice. Goddamn it, whenever anyone said "SEEEEEYA laaaAAATER" on that GI Joe episode I cracked up.

God drat it now I'm just going to have that bit stuck in my head again and people are going to think I'm crazy for laughing at nothing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I checked Jupin's Letterbox'd to see if he put anything up and they're FINALLY doing Thinner at the end of the month. I'm excited, because that movie is really, really dumb and they've been referencing it for years.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I swear he had Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead on there at some point but they never did an episode on it. I really hope that isn't the case with this one because I love that terrible movie!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Grapplejack posted:

I checked Jupin's Letterbox'd to see if he put anything up and they're FINALLY doing Thinner at the end of the month. I'm excited, because that movie is really, really dumb and they've been referencing it for years.

Is that movie the reason why the guys keep saying "Thiiiiinnnerrrrr" when they're talking about evil halloweeny things or whatever it is? (Oh god I can't remember the context)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Is that movie the reason why the guys keep saying "Thiiiiinnnerrrrr" when they're talking about evil halloweeny things or whatever it is? (Oh god I can't remember the context)

No

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Would you dig your own grave? (Y)(N)
Be honest

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I was inspired by the clips from Killer Workout and made this thing based on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEphadEuIZk

E: A lot of the music is on YouTube and around the net, it's pretty drat great if you're into that kinda thing. Got a lot more hits under the less good Aerobicide than Killer Workout when searching.
vvv it is, I found a full copy under Aerobicide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbz-bFTT-g vvv

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 14, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to admit I'm pretty surprised that this movie isn't available on YouTube.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have to admit I'm pretty surprised that this movie isn't available on YouTube.

It is under Aerobicide. It's super :stare:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

weekly font posted:

It is under Aerobicide. It's super :stare:

Oh geez, I didn't even think to check under that title. I know what I'm watching tomorrow! :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
For most of this episode I was thinking "Wait a second, this doesn't sound quite like Death Spa..." and suddenly it gets addressed, and I haven't quite been able to move past it yet.

How the gently caress was there a movie so much like Death Spa, where the phrase "death spa" appears next to the alternate titles of the movie, and the movies is not only distinct from Death Spa but also the inferior film? I mean that movie was loving rear end and it sounds worlds better than this!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Would you dig your own grave? (Y)(N)
Be honest

(N) I'll be lazy til the day I die

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm watching Aerobicide/Killer Workout now.

This movie is in no drat hurry, is it?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

For most of this episode I was thinking "Wait a second, this doesn't sound quite like Death Spa..." and suddenly it gets addressed, and I haven't quite been able to move past it yet.

How the gently caress was there a movie so much like Death Spa, where the phrase "death spa" appears next to the alternate titles of the movie, and the movies is not only distinct from Death Spa but also the inferior film? I mean that movie was loving rear end and it sounds worlds better than this!

Looking at trailers for each, Death Spa seems like the better movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Depends how you feel about 80s butts.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I had the same goddamn reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since you're posting in this thread you're probably already aware of this but that's just how things were back then, aside from a few particular scenes my main memories of random 80s poo poo slasher flicks is how painfully boring almost all of them are.