Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is the Schiit Valhalla 2 a good option for trying tubes out?

I've been reading a lot of "it sounds really good but it's not 'tubey' enough"and I'm really not interested in something that's gonna be super similar to a solid-state amp.

At the same time, I love the Schiit price, build quality, and aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I listened to some Norah Jones and Yo-Yo Ma FLACs with my HD650s through my iPhone 6 directly and using my A/V receiver as an amp, and I'm not sure I could really tell the difference. Are my ears just crap?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Josh Lyman posted:

I listened to some Norah Jones and Yo-Yo Ma FLACs with my HD650s through my iPhone 6 directly and using my A/V receiver as an amp, and I'm not sure I could really tell the difference. Are my ears just crap?

Can the iPhone music player play FLACs natively yet? I know there are 3rd party apps that have been able to do it but I don't know about the standard player.

Did you import the songs via cable or iTunes Match?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Midorka posted:

Stop stuffing them in your pocket, especially when not in use.

NVX XPT100 for sure.

Got this and it works great, thanks. Nice sound, blocks a lot of outside sound, and comfortable as well.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

:frogsiren: beyerdynamic dt-770 pros on sale for 130usd at guitar center :frogsiren:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdy...81d7fa95dfc4449

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Can the iPhone music player play FLACs natively yet? I know there are 3rd party apps that have been able to do it but I don't know about the standard player.

Did you import the songs via cable or iTunes Match?
No, iPhone probably won't support FLAC as long as ALAC is a thing. I played them through the VLC app.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006
I'm thinking about getting custom IEMs. Specifically, I'm looking at ACS Customs T1. List price is $1000, but they have a 40% deal for Cyber Monday, so $600 for custom IEMs, including fitting. Seems like a good deal; anyone have experience with this company?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

PittPanther posted:

I'm thinking about getting custom IEMs. Specifically, I'm looking at ACS Customs T1. List price is $1000, but they have a 40% deal for Cyber Monday, so $600 for custom IEMs, including fitting. Seems like a good deal; anyone have experience with this company?

I do not have experience with that company, but the $600 custom IEM market has a ton of great options in either silicone or acrylic.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

I do not have experience with that company, but the $600 custom IEM market has a ton of great options in either silicone or acrylic.

The ACS Customs are silicone. What are good options in the $600 range?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Grawl posted:

Budget - Around 100 Euros
Source - PC 3.5mm out > 3.5mm amp in > 6.5mm amp out (Sony EX50)
Isolation Requirements - I'd like to drain out noises, but it's not a must
Preferred Type of Headphone - I prefer big headphones that cover (most of) the ear, but I don't care if it's open or closed.
Preferred Tonal Balance - ?
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HDR 120 (got these in 2010) ~ Some model that looks like the Sony MDR-CD3000 (got these around 2004 from my parents, who used them for at least 15 years and I'd still be using them if the cable didn't break)
Preferred Music- Not relevant

My Sennheiser headphones died, so I'm looking for new headphones.

Looking at: AKG K240 Studio Semi-Open

Quoting myself. I did get the AKG and at first I was a bit like "doesn't sound too different to me". Then I tried a FLAC album. This thing is amazing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

PittPanther posted:

The ACS Customs are silicone. What are good options in the $600 range?

|joker| is pretty much the definitive reviewer of all things iem, can be found here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/ and on head-fi, some innerfidelity reviews as well.

I think Noble's silicone stuff even with their Black Friday discount is a little over your price range. I am a big fan of Wizard's work though.

Maybe the ACS are great, they just aren't widely reviewed.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Well, after 2 years of use and abuse, my Vsonic GR06's gave up the ghost, with the left earphone dropping out. Now I need to replace them, and I am looking at upgrading to the Vsonic GR07Mk2, but the problem is Vsonic is predominantly an Asian brand with very little market penetration in the West, especially in the UK where I live. Finding a stockist is a bitch, and the last pair I simply had imported, but I don't remember where from.

Does anybody know a reliable and official stockist of Vsonic GR07Mk2's who will ship to the UK, or are based in the UK?

Evx
Dec 2, 2014
The NAD VISO HP 50 closed headphones is worth looking at if your price range is up to €/$ 300. They are very neutral and deliver a spacious sound, while also feeling quite comfortable because of their shape.

HEAD-FI REVIEW

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Evx posted:

The NAD VISO HP 50 closed headphones is worth looking at if your price range is up to €/$ 300. They are very neutral and deliver a spacious sound, while also feeling quite comfortable because of their shape.

HEAD-FI REVIEW

is this directed at me? if so, sorry duder, ain't looking for headphones, just iems, gotta keep my mad anime hair running wild, plus I have some AKG 240s for in the room. What I am looking for is just for walking.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I broke the audio jack off of my headphones like a big dumb idiot. They weren't that expensive, about 40 euros, is this something I can fix easily or should I just buy a new pair?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The Belgian posted:

I broke the audio jack off of my headphones like a big dumb idiot. They weren't that expensive, about 40 euros, is this something I can fix easily or should I just buy a new pair?

If you have any soldering experience it's not too hard to do at all. You'd just need to strip it a bit and get a new head and solder it on.

There are a bunch of guides on youtube if you want to see what it's like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OL9KoIFVM

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Cerepol posted:

If you have any soldering experience it's not too hard to do at all. You'd just need to strip it a bit and get a new head and solder it on.

There are a bunch of guides on youtube if you want to see what it's like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OL9KoIFVM

Thanks! I think I can get access to soldering tools and whatnot and do that.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is the Schiit Valhalla 2 a good option for trying tubes out?

I've been reading a lot of "it sounds really good but it's not 'tubey' enough"and I'm really not interested in something that's gonna be super similar to a solid-state amp.

At the same time, I love the Schiit price, build quality, and aesthetics.

I've been so happy with my Valhalla 2 (paired with HD 800s) that I just ordered their Bitfrost Uber DAC. Should be here the 11th! I noticed an expanded soundstage and better bass response moving from the Asus Xonar Essence STX, but I pin that solely on the amp being able to really drive the 800s well (I keep it on hi gain at 35-50% depending on how modern the music source is). I don't think that the Valhalla adds the sort of distortion you might be looking for from tubes. It has a reputation as a neutral amp and looks cool as poo poo.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
So as someone with very little experience in HiFi gear, I recently purchased the Massdrop AKG K7XX. The Magni / Modi stack was recommended to me as it seems the AKG needs some power to sound good. However I'm debating between the Magni and the Vali. The price difference isn't much, and apparently the Vali sounds good on the Q701 which are similar to the K7XX.

I have no experience with any type of amps, nor have I listened to tube amps before. Any recommendations on what I should do? I've heard of the microphonics problem on the Vali, but I wouldn't be plugging my headphones out/in of the amp very often anyways.

As a newbie, I'm not sure what sound I'm looking for, but based on what I've read the Magni might sound a tad more 'analytical' which to me translates to 'harsh treble'.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

^ Unless you're like me who's apparently deaf and can't tell the different between listening to FLACs with HD650s straight from an iPhone or through an A/V receiver's headphone out.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Grado's are poo poo. I got a pair of Grado S80s in August of 2013 and they've developed a rattle and pop in the right earphone. It's not all the time, only during bass heavy music, but it's super annoying. Grado says I'm hosed on their 1 year limited warranty, so I'll be chucking thise lovely things and looking for some new ones.

Any suggestions for something not made by John Grado?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Grado's are poo poo. I got a pair of Grado S80s in August of 2013 and they've developed a rattle and pop in the right earphone. It's not all the time, only during bass heavy music, but it's super annoying. Grado says I'm hosed on their 1 year limited warranty, so I'll be chucking thise lovely things and looking for some new ones.

Send them to me so I can take the hair out of the driver and have perfectly good headphones.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Midorka posted:

Send them to me so I can take the hair out of the driver and have perfectly good headphones.

50$ plus shipping?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Sennheiser HD598 dawg.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

50$ plus shipping?

Not a chance. You said you're tossing them. If you're going to throw away perfectly good headphones that have a piece of hair easily removed then I'll just pay postage.

The point of my post is that you could have found the issue to this problem with a 2 second search since it's a huge problem with many open headphones.

Edit: Literally typed: Rattling bass in Grado and that was the first link.

Edit 2: Ps: I reviewed the Alpine Over Ear. Check it out guys!

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 4, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I might not be asking the right thread because this is probably more of a sound card issue than a headphone issue, but: I bought an Asus Xonar DGX card/headphone amp to go with my Sennheiser HD518. The sound is really tinny. I can crank up the lower frequencies in the equalizer to fix this to an extent, but I haven't heard anyone else complain about this so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with mine. I'm pretty sure I had better sound with my integrated audio, and even my phone makes the headphones sound good. I know the Xonar is not the highest end thing in the world but I'm no audiophile and everyone else says it's fine.

e: Incidentally, I'm very happy with the HD518s in general. They clamped down really hard at first but after like a week they loosened a tad and turned way more comfortable.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 4, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Midorka posted:

Not a chance. You said you're tossing them. If you're going to throw away perfectly good headphones that have a piece of hair easily removed then I'll just pay postage.

The point of my post is that you could have found the issue to this problem with a 2 second search since it's a huge problem with many open headphones.

Edit: Literally typed: Rattling bass in Grado and that was the first link.

Edit 2: Ps: I reviewed the Alpine Over Ear. Check it out guys!

Hey that seemed to have fixed it.

If only I knew to google 'rattle in earphones' of a model I don't have!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Hey that seemed to have fixed it.

If only I knew to google 'rattle in earphones' of a model I don't have!

All I Googled was "rattling bass in Grado" which if you Google that for almost any open headphone you'll find results for. Open headphones are susceptible to loose debris falling into them, hair included.

A little logic would indicate that all the Grado headphones are designed the same physically since they all look the same.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 4, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
A coworker of mine is looking for headphones. I'm not sure what music he listens to nor what past headphones he has. He's bringing it back to China with him though. ANy recommendations would be appreciated

Budget - $300
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Isolation yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size closed
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral sound with clear mids would probably be preferred.

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Looking for some new headphones as a Christmas gift for a buddy of mine. He mostly listens to either classic rock or hip-hop and wants them for on the go listening. I looked through some of the links in the OP, but wasn't sure if there were better/more recent choices.

Budget - ~$50
Source - Phone/Mobile
Type of headphone - IEM

Any suggestions?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Fat Aggression posted:

Looking for some new headphones as a Christmas gift for a buddy of mine. He mostly listens to either classic rock or hip-hop and wants them for on the go listening. I looked through some of the links in the OP, but wasn't sure if there were better/more recent choices.

Budget - ~$50
Source - Phone/Mobile
Type of headphone - IEM

Any suggestions?

Those are the two genres I mostly listen and TTPOD T1E T1 sound really nice with my phone.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Midorka posted:

I think that the NVX XPT100 are a great all-around option for you.

Just got these and they're a noticeable step up in quality over all the trash phones I've been using up to now. Though I have one thing I'd like to know, do high quality phones ever tend to include their own volume control thing on the phone cords? That's really the one big thing that's really stopping me from enjoying these since all the past "gamer" headphones I've used had that and I really need it since manually changing audio through the sound taskbar menu is a lot slower.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

pandaK posted:

Just got these and they're a noticeable step up in quality over all the trash phones I've been using up to now. Though I have one thing I'd like to know, do high quality phones ever tend to include their own volume control thing on the phone cords? That's really the one big thing that's really stopping me from enjoying these since all the past "gamer" headphones I've used had that and I really need it since manually changing audio through the sound taskbar menu is a lot slower.

Very few of them do because it's a common point of failure.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That thing has broken to some extent on every single gaming headset I've had. You could get a keyboard with volume/mute keys. (or programmable keys, whatever)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

pandaK posted:

Sometimes, but not usually. You could get an external volume control in the way of a USB DAC/Amp. Schiit has an all in one option for $80 now that is likely to be rather nice.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Shadowhand00 posted:

A coworker of mine is looking for headphones. I'm not sure what music he listens to nor what past headphones he has. He's bringing it back to China with him though. ANy recommendations would be appreciated

Budget - $300
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Isolation yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size closed
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral sound with clear mids would probably be preferred.

Vmoda m100-$270
Sennheiser momentum-$240
Nad viso hp50-$250

Sound
Hp50>momentum>m100
Build quality
M100>momentum=hp50
Looks
M100>momentum>hp50

The m100 is built like a tank, but the hp50 is an easy choice if you don't care that it looks super goofy on your head. If he wants noise canceling for the plane or something, the bose NC model less than $300 is probably what he wants

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wait, Sennheiser HD 598s were $100 on Black Friday?! Why did no one say anything about this?!?

E:

RiceBurrito posted:

How are the Sennheiser HD 598? It's on sale from amazon for Black Friday for $99 bucks. Thinking about pulling the trigger on them now since I need new ones for my computer

oh, gently caress me

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 5, 2014

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Time for an upgrade of my headphones, problem is i have no idea what to get.

Budget - $150-$300 (I will go higher if the gains are really worth it $400) (Australian dollars)

Source - Z2 (android based mp3 player)

Isolation Requirements - Probably. Most use is on public transport or out in the street when i run.

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM

Preferred Tonal Balance - I want to say i like balance but i think the bass is pretty important.

Past Headphones - Sennheiser - CX 300-II Precision. I like the bass on these. I hate the cord. Asymetrical isnt good when i run. But pretty much the best sounding headphones i've used.

Sol Republic AMPS - pretty much hated everything about these. Uncomfortable to wear, sound wasnt what i was after. While i did like the symmetrical cord, i didnt like the controller.

Shure SE215 - I like the cable, but the reason im changing is the left side broke pretty soon after purchase and replacements also seem to do the same. I like the hook over the ear for running.
Sound was pretty subpar in terms of bass.

Preferred Music - Drum n Bass/Jungle, Rock, pretty much anything when i think about it.

I have been looking at the Sennheiser IE60 In-Ear Headphones $255.00aus and the Sennheiser IE80 In-Ear Headphones $399.00aus but considering i've never spent more than $120 on headphones before i really don't know.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pandaK posted:

Wait, Sennheiser HD 598s were $100 on Black Friday?! Why did no one say anything about this?!?

E:

oh, gently caress me
Your edit beat me to the punch, but yeah.

Sometimes it pays to just refresh the Slickdeals Hot Deals subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Josh Lyman posted:

Your edit beat me to the punch, but yeah.

Sometimes it pays to just refresh the Slickdeals Hot Deals subforum.

Okay so I'm planning on returning the XPT100s. While they tended to overall sound a lot better than my previous cans (Steelseries Siberia), the bass on them is woefully lacking. I know it's unfair to compare the two in that regard since "gaming" headphones always have jacked up bass, but I guess I've just become so accustomed to that baseline that the XPTs just sound underwhelming to me. In addition to this, the XPT100s pinch my ears like a motherfucker after an hour of use. So I guess to avoid getting burned again, I'll formally ask for some advice on what to buy next this time around.

Budget - $200
Source - Desktop, no amp.
Isolation Requirements - Ideally, I'd prefer isolated. Will still accept open cans if they don't leak too much. Way more concerned about sound leaking out than leaking in.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, on ear, don't really care.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral, maybe a little bit more bass than usual. Not necessarily anything super bass heavy in particular.
Past Headphones - XPT100, everything besides the bass was a huge step up from the Siberia V2s I owned before.
Siberia V2, grew up off a history of lovely gaming headsets so I'm just too used to having strong bass.
Preferred Music - Varied

I've discussed this with a friend and he suggested a few headphones, linked below. I'd like to know which set would suit me the best, or if you guys in the thread have any better suggestions.
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio Technica ATH AD900X - though apparently these leak like a motherfucker so I'm pre-emptively marking them off.
Audio Technica ATH A900X - the closed can version of the above. Apparently bass-ier than the open version, which might be a plus.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 5, 2014