Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

What level are you? Great River quests are level 75. If you're not following the epic questline (which directs you to Mirkwood from 60-65 and Enedwaith/Dunland from 65-75) and have just wandered in from Lothlorien you'll be level 60 or so, so you won't see any quests.

73. I wandered in without talking to Noriel in Thinglad. My bad. Going to visit her in Thinglad and get the Great River quest lines going. I see the task quests in Stangard, Great River, so I'm guessing I'm close enough to 75. My hunter is tricked out which lets me do quests that are slightly above my pay grade. Seems to make for quicker leveling.

What's with the uber powerful walking trees, trolls and spiders in the NW of Great River? Looks like you need a small army to take them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pugzilla posted:

73. I wandered in without talking to Noriel in Thinglad. My bad. Going to visit her in Thinglad and get the Great River quest lines going. I see the task quests in Stangard, Great River, so I'm guessing I'm close enough to 75. My hunter is tricked out which lets me do quests that are slightly above my pay grade. Seems to make for quicker leveling.

What's with the uber powerful walking trees, trolls and spiders in the NW of Great River? Looks like you need a small army to take them out.

That area is intended as group content.

sassassin posted:

Great River is the best Rohan quest arc. It's a shame they decided to waste years remaking it in worse and worse ways.
This.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

flowinprose posted:

Hunters shouldn't have this problem, because everything just dies before it gets to you. :coal:

Exactly. Yes, hunters have to kills bad guys one at a time, but if you plan your attacks right, you will come out with a bunch of dead flesh around you. Long range ganking is fun too. Stand back, point, shoot, win. As long as my guy is well fed, I do pretty good.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Class rebalancing coming soon: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?661241-When-can-we-expect-an-update-dedicated-to-(re)balancing-and-quot-reworking-quot-classes&p=7809043#post7809043

ESO is my go-to for casual f2p MMO right now, but I'll totally change priorities if Beorning becomes viable.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ossipago posted:

Class rebalancing coming soon: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?661241-When-can-we-expect-an-update-dedicated-to-(re)balancing-and-quot-reworking-quot-classes&p=7809043#post7809043

ESO is my go-to for casual f2p MMO right now, but I'll totally change priorities if Beorning becomes viable.

Thanks for sharing, Severlin posted more today. Northern Mirkwood will be our next region and when asked if it'll have instances he said those are being worked on for later in the year, so I imagine it'll just be a quest pack and Erebor will have the instances. Sounds like Erebor will be the larger quest pack, possibly an expansion pack if they learned from their pricing mistakes on Mordor. Also I vaguely remember them saying more Mordor content was coming, so that could be in between?

The class balance patches should start in a month or so if the test server goes well, with nothing confirmed other than hunters being considered a good standard for DPS, an admission that RKs are too strong and that beornings are broken in a bad way. I imagine it'll just be number tweaking and a skill or two changed per class, then based on testing and feedback we'll get another class balancing later. Still people work around these things, having one beorning tank per raid isn't unheard of.

The OP is updated, took out some outdated info and added a link to the discord.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 31, 2018

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

So I bought the Mordor quest pack with some of my Lotro points (whatever turbine points are called now), and I’m having a lot of trouble in Udun. I just hit 105 before I arrived, so I didn’t do the flower grind for gear, and incomparable weapons don’t drop from landscape mobs anymore, so my gear is abysmal. I’m guessing the only course of action should be to find fellowships to get through Mordor content? All the guides I’ve seen online were written before the changes made to incomparable drops.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I've been working through the leveling content from Moria to Mordor since around September of last year and finally hit Mordor at the beginning of this month so I was in the same boat. I ended up just being as careful as possible and tossing invites at pubbies when they were in the same area. The quests in Udun give you decent gear and eventually you won't feel like killing yourself every time you venture out to to do quests. It's a pain in the rear end but once you get over the hump it does get better. Overall the content in Mordor is not very solo-friendly, especially for any of the non-instanced dungeons in the expansion.

Everything is over-tuned and I don't think they thought about longevity for this expansion, they just assumed everyone would be out there doing the quests at once during launch which probably made it a lost easier. Now that it's a few months in, yeah there are still people, but sometimes you just want to play the game and not stand around and ask people for help. That being said, it's certainly been a memorable expansion because of the challenge.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So I hit 62 and remembered that second and first age LIs are a thing. Asked in Discord and someone mentioned that second age LIs are cheap-ish and so I was wondering if there are any weaponsmiths in the kin who can make a second age great sword for a guardian. Just let me know what the mats are and I can try and buy that up to send.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

dreffen posted:

So I hit 62 and remembered that second and first age LIs are a thing. Asked in Discord and someone mentioned that second age LIs are cheap-ish and so I was wondering if there are any weaponsmiths in the kin who can make a second age great sword for a guardian. Just let me know what the mats are and I can try and buy that up to send.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Weaponsmith_Supreme_Recipe_Index

Level 60 2nd Age Guardian Greatsword:
4 Khazâd-iron Ingots
2 Khazâd-steel Ingots
2 Mithril-infused Khazâd-steel Ingots
5 Legendary Shards

Level 65 2nd Age Guardian Greatsword:
4 Khazâd-steel Ingots
2 Khazâd-iron Ingots
5 Legendary Fragments
1 Symbol of Celebrimbor

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 3, 2018

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Trying to get back into this, bounced off Western Rohan the last few times I tried to come back. Going to try to buckle down and push through to Gondor/Mordor. Last time I tried to play I gave up because the hitching during mounted combat was awful, forgot I had removed it from my SSD, so moved it back this weekend and the difference is remarkable, this game loves an SSD.

My Champ is ~92 and working through Western Rohan, I recall there were some changes to legendary weapons, when does that start and is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fried Sushi posted:

Trying to get back into this, bounced off Western Rohan the last few times I tried to come back. Going to try to buckle down and push through to Gondor/Mordor. Last time I tried to play I gave up because the hitching during mounted combat was awful, forgot I had removed it from my SSD, so moved it back this weekend and the difference is remarkable, this game loves an SSD.

My Champ is ~92 and working through Western Rohan, I recall there were some changes to legendary weapons, when does that start and is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for?

There's a video in the OP but for a quick summary: Unless you're struggling to kill quest mobs do not replace your LIs til 100, since the level 100 legendary items are the final level of the game for them. So if you do want 90s or 95s, just get second or even third ages and don't buy up scrolls and crystals to max them out.

Once you get level 100 first ages, you need a crystal of remembrance for each (the most expensive part) then loads of anfalas starlit crystals and anfalas scrolls. Also check that video or the lotro wiki for a quick summary on imbuement.

It sounds complicated but since it levels with you just worry about getting to level 100 and getting the symbols for now.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Brave New World posted:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Weaponsmith_Supreme_Recipe_Index

Level 60 2nd Age Guardian Greatsword:
4 Khazâd-iron Ingots
2 Khazâd-steel Ingots
5 Legendary Shards

Level 65 2nd Age Guardian Greatsword:
4 Khazâd-steel Ingots
2 Khazâd-iron Ingots
5 Legendary Fragments
1 Symbol of Celebrimbor

Thanks a bunch! I should really use the lotro wiki for more crafting stuff.

Next up; got the mats together, who wants to make it?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I finally got my poo poo together and paid for Helm's Deep. Granted, I've had a long hiatus from Lotro but it's not that bad, questwise, as you've said itt. The views are gorgeous, too.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The Weekly Coupon gets you a Black Steel Key x 1 with coupon code OPENBOX now through February 15th!

that's the best coupon code you'll see, even if you're not a high level just toss that key in your vault for now

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

I used to play this game years ago. I think I stopped playing a little bit after the Mirkwood expansion. Recently I decided to give it another try and see what has changed. My inventory was overflowing with all sorts of stuff and giftboxes that explode into more random stuff. Vault was also full so I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out which things are safe to throw away. Bunch of skills were missing from the quickbars and all the points on my legendary weapon were unspent so I had to spend more time trying to sort those things out. Couldnt find some of the skills I sort of remember having so maybe they have been removed.

I thought I was ready to go fight things and maybe do a quest when I noticed my character is naked for some reason. I am a level 75 captain and my old set of armor seems to have a max level of 69/70. Now why the hell does armor have a max level? Can I put it on somehow or should I go somewhere to get a new set of armor?

Anything good I should buy from the LOTRO Store? I used to have a lifetime subscription so I guess it has been giving me turbine points when I've been away. I have 31k now. Other tips would be appreciated as well.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rech posted:

I used to play this game years ago. I think I stopped playing a little bit after the Mirkwood expansion. Recently I decided to give it another try and see what has changed. My inventory was overflowing with all sorts of stuff and giftboxes that explode into more random stuff. Vault was also full so I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out which things are safe to throw away. Bunch of skills were missing from the quickbars and all the points on my legendary weapon were unspent so I had to spend more time trying to sort those things out. Couldnt find some of the skills I sort of remember having so maybe they have been removed.

I thought I was ready to go fight things and maybe do a quest when I noticed my character is naked for some reason. I am a level 75 captain and my old set of armor seems to have a max level of 69/70. Now why the hell does armor have a max level? Can I put it on somehow or should I go somewhere to get a new set of armor?

Anything good I should buy from the LOTRO Store? I used to have a lifetime subscription so I guess it has been giving me turbine points when I've been away. I have 31k now. Other tips would be appreciated as well.

Welcome back, as far as armor caps go people were getting a bit too clever with set bonuses. I'm going to have to ask around about the armor thing because my armor stayed the same for the Osgiliath set, it only applied to people who looted it after that patch. If you really can't get back into your armor you can barter at a skirmish camp for now, or hope you get some mathom armor from the hobbit presents. If you don't already have it: Get more inventory and bag space, definitely get the 'premium barter wallet' which stores something like 100 currencies and items in it instead of in your bags, and beyond that you might as well just buy poo poo you like because 31,000 is going to last you well past level 115.

I'm shocked by the size of this content and that the 'Northern Mirkwood' and Erebor content will be released together. I think I predicted Erebor for the winter and they're now both on the test server as of today, so I am dumb.

Also coming: Updated dwarves, new crafting, UI/login updates, a ton of stuffs

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7812681#post7812681

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

extra stout posted:

Welcome back, as far as armor caps go people were getting a bit too clever with set bonuses. I'm going to have to ask around about the armor thing because my armor stayed the same for the Osgiliath set, it only applied to people who looted it after that patch. If you really can't get back into your armor you can barter at a skirmish camp for now, or hope you get some mathom armor from the hobbit presents.

I dont know if it makes a difference but this set had been removed and was sitting in my inventory: https://imgur.com/a/8yb3e
Then I did couple book quests, hit level 76 and got a message that 2 more pieces of armor will be removed. Now they are in my inventory too: https://imgur.com/a/Gn1c2
Cant put them back on.

Seems very strange that my character will be stripping off pieces of armor while running around doing quests. I did get some armor as a reward from the quests though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

extra stout posted:

Also coming: Updated dwarves, new crafting, UI/login updates, a ton of stuffs

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7812681#post7812681

Relic-masters can now now auto combine relics in groups of 10 or 50.

:monocle:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

extra stout posted:

Beornings...can be grinded into serious tanks

What's the grind you're referring to in the OP? Gear?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Epic Battles seem like the most boring thing in the game. Also I was completely unable to figure out how to pass the Deeping Wall battle.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

Epic Battles seem like the most boring thing in the game. Also I was completely unable to figure out how to pass the Deeping Wall battle.

It took me about 5 tries on that one, pretty annoying especially how long it is before you find out you failed it. Finally finished it by using the catapult in stage 1 to take out the enemy catapult. Then shift between commanders using all their available buffs when the cooldown was up. While waiting I would sit at one of the rock drops and keep dropping them while attacking any enemies that came in range (you can still use skills while interacting with things like banners and rock drops etc). I skipped any of the side battles that popped up unless they happened right on the wall. Second stage I used the catapult to take out both enemy catapults then did the same as stage 1 on the wall.

I did it on a champ so I was able to aoe and kill some guys while working on the rockdrop, not sure how easy/hard it would be on another class. Good news is that was the hardest epic battle the rest were pretty easy.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Fried Sushi posted:

It took me about 5 tries on that one, pretty annoying especially how long it is before you find out you failed it. Finally finished it by using the catapult in stage 1 to take out the enemy catapult. Then shift between commanders using all their available buffs when the cooldown was up. While waiting I would sit at one of the rock drops and keep dropping them while attacking any enemies that came in range (you can still use skills while interacting with things like banners and rock drops etc). I skipped any of the side battles that popped up unless they happened right on the wall. Second stage I used the catapult to take out both enemy catapults then did the same as stage 1 on the wall.

I did it on a champ so I was able to aoe and kill some guys while working on the rockdrop, not sure how easy/hard it would be on another class. Good news is that was the hardest epic battle the rest were pretty easy.

I looked up instructions and apparently the catapults are the thing you need to destroy.

For the Deeping-Coomb battle, I spent most of my time away from the computer because I had to take a dump and then went out for a smoke and when I got back , I won without doing anything at all.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Just started replaying this game. Had a cap before it was f2p. Rolled a mini this time round. What's the status of the goon guild? Name is herbfoot if anyone wants to add me.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Yule festival encore is live.

I really like the approach they took here, compared to most MMO Christmas holidays . The oppressed poor, the slaughter of the trees, and cleaning up drunken vomit for a daily quest.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ossipago posted:

I really like the approach they took here, compared to most MMO Christmas holidays . The oppressed poor, the slaughter of the trees, and cleaning up drunken vomit for a daily quest.

Yule owns, just when I thought I was bored of it I realized I need three more anfalas star-lit crystals and some 115 essence. And sorry I think I missed your other post- Beorning tanks used to be super expensive to gear, now with all of those essence essentially worthless and the new essence in tiers of craftable/lootable/barterable it looks like it might be easier to pull off. Right now my champion is 115 and bear is still 107, so I'm not sure yet. If I find the time I might just try to bear tank next.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ossipago posted:

And you earn money by robbing people enjoying the holiday; truly they brought out the essence of the real Christmas.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

quote:

[02/28 08:44:19 PM] [Fellowship] Herbfoot: OH <AM OITS COMIN FOR ME

Someone met his first Roving Threat!

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Hah, that's awesome.

Does anyone do those anymore? Saw a bunch when I was running through Gondor but never saw anyone fighting them, guessing they are not very rewarding now that endgame is in Mordor.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Fried Sushi posted:

Hah, that's awesome.

Does anyone do those anymore? Saw a bunch when I was running through Gondor but never saw anyone fighting them, guessing they are not very rewarding now that endgame is in Mordor.

What really annoys me is that doing some of those are tied to skill points :(.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I see people putting together RT groups occasionally, but there are so many RTs around that I would imagine on average most don't get killed very often. I don't know what the rewards are these days though.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
At level 115 I could solo most of them as a Loremaster using my bear to tank. There were a few that did too frequent of random ranged attacks that would end up killing me.

They are still useful to do in order to purchase 1st age legendary weapons if you don't have one yet.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

bombhand posted:

Someone met his first Roving Threat!

That drat thing threw itself off the cliff after me

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

U22 coming out on Tuesday, patch notes on Monday. Also free universal Solvent from store USOLVENT these seem to sell for 50-60g on the AH.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I played this many years ago. I think my character is a lvl 50 minstrel. BUT it is currently on Elendilmir, which no longer exists?

What is he best server to move to/reroll if needed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Meskhenet posted:

I played this many years ago. I think my character is a lvl 50 minstrel. BUT it is currently on Elendilmir, which no longer exists?

Goons are on Landroval now, after the merges. I think the merges made it so no server completely sucks, at the least.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

A lot of ex-Elendilmir players went to Brandywine I think but I don’t think there’s really an Oceanic server anymore though. Landroval is good - goons and lots of bands and other player events. It can be a bit quiet outside of American peak times but that’s the same everywhere.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I'm almost positive that the server voted to be the unofficial Oceanic server is Arkenstone. Of course, Goons play on Landroval.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Patch Notes are up.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7818979#post7818979

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

quote:

Male Beornings sit a bit higher in the water while treading.

Definitely going to main a Beorning now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ossipago posted:

Definitely going to main a Beorning now.

Planning on doing a lot of confident swimming tomorrow now that it's safer

I'm pumped, got some rep accels ready, have 20 anfalas scrolls maybe 30 by tomorrow

Update 22: Legacy of the Necromancer will be 795 LOTRO Points in the LOTRO Store, and of course free to our VIP players.

The new Mordor quests will be free if you own Mordor even if you don't buy anything else