Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Not just that, but there are some serious ethical (and hell, maybe legal, I'm not a lawyer) considerations to making money off of other peoples' LPs that are based on still other other peoples' games. If I spend hundreds of hours of uncompensated effort to make some content, I may be perfectly happy to hand it to baldurk when they're also volunteering their own time/effort to host it, but less happy to hand it to baldurk when they're going to turn around and start making money off of it.

I 100% understand baldurk being hesitant to even touch all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
. whatever.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 6, 2019

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Turtlicious posted:

It's hosting html pages on a webserver, anyone can do it.

You have to convert BBCode to HTML. You gotta reupload images. There is definitely more work involved than, quote, "hosting html pages on a webserver".

I think you should probably just drop it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Turtlicious posted:

It's hosting html pages on a webserver, anyone can do it.

:chloe:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For those who used Annotations for anything on old vids, all of those have been archived by the Internet Archive and are/will be made available again through plugins: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/b7imx9/youtube_annotation_archive_annotation_data_from/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Carbon dioxide posted:

For those who used Annotations for anything on old vids, all of those have been archived by the Internet Archive and are/will be made available again through plugins: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/b7imx9/youtube_annotation_archive_annotation_data_from/
Thanks!

I kinda wanted to turn my annotations into subtitles, but you need to upload a proper srt file instead of being able to do so on youtube itself. :shrug:

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
All the threads in the archive queue have now been responded to. Most people have an LP ready to approve, a couple I asked for the author to give me some info to finalise it. I'm probably going to bump the auto-poster to post 2-3 LPs a day for the next while so that it doesn't take several months to get everyone's LPs posted.

If you haven't heard from me then feel free to email me again, but I won't jump on it until probably next weekend because I'm knackered right now.

I've posted an SSLP test post with the archiving guidelines which I will keep updated as anything changes. These will apply for any requests received from now on. Any requests I get that don't follow them will be politely sent back for edits. If a mod or JordanKai wants to edit that link into the OP where there's currently an older quote from a few years back, that'd be great. Please have a skim over them even if you think your LPs will be fine, because something that takes you a minute can save me a bunch of time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

baldurk posted:

All the threads in the archive queue have now been responded to. Most people have an LP ready to approve, a couple I asked for the author to give me some info to finalise it. I'm probably going to bump the auto-poster to post 2-3 LPs a day for the next while so that it doesn't take several months to get everyone's LPs posted.

If you haven't heard from me then feel free to email me again, but I won't jump on it until probably next weekend because I'm knackered right now.

I've posted an SSLP test post with the archiving guidelines which I will keep updated as anything changes. These will apply for any requests received from now on. Any requests I get that don't follow them will be politely sent back for edits. If a mod or JordanKai wants to edit that link into the OP where there's currently an older quote from a few years back, that'd be great. Please have a skim over them even if you think your LPs will be fine, because something that takes you a minute can save me a bunch of time.

I've now linked that from the OP and deleted the older advice.

quote:

One line - one link. You can't have two updates linked from the same line like: Update 6: Let's go exploring (Part 2)

Curious why this is an issue? This would have invalidated a couple of my past LPs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Probably because the scripts expect each line to be its own update and break if there's more than one link on a line.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I don't know what TOC means and I couldn't find any context in the post that would tell me. I'm an idiot and need things spelled out. Please help.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Table of Contents

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Table of contents, a.k.a. the first post that links to all the updates.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Tonnes Of Coconuts

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dash Rendar posted:

Tonnes Of Coconuts
Only in a Donkey Kong Country LP thread.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Jamesman posted:

I don't know what TOC means and I couldn't find any context in the post that would tell me. I'm an idiot and need things spelled out. Please help.

Clarified, sorry I thought I had that in there somewhere just in case but it must have gotten lost in editing.

Fedule posted:

quote:

One line - one link. You can't have two updates linked from the same line like: Update 6: Let's go exploring (Part 2)

Curious why this is an issue? This would have invalidated a couple of my past LPs.

Basically this:

Commander Keene posted:

Probably because the scripts expect each line to be its own update and break if there's more than one link on a line.

It breaks some assumptions in the scripts including e.g. how to pull the titles out, since it wouldn't know that the second update should be named "Update 6: Let's go exploring Part 2" instead of just the link text of "Part 2". In the past I just fixed this up manually, but that's one reason why some SSLPs took a long time to process. I could probably support cases where each link has a full title like Update 6: Let's go exploring (Update 6: Let's go exploring Part 2) but I'm not sure if that's useful to anyone and I thought it was better to be super-simple and super-clear.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is the "One line, one link" thing universal? For my VLPs, I sometimes double up on Youtube links to reduce scrolling in the OP, and I connect the YouTube links to images. I think you've archived the last LP I've done in that format, and I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just want to be 100% sure moving forward.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

The section indicates where it applies:

quote:

For threads with update posts

If you're just linking to youtube or any other site you can arrange it however you like, just like any other content of posts.

For update posts I need to be able to extract out titles and display a sensible ordered table of contents, hence those guidelines to ensure I can do that with minimal fuss.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Is there a way to pull the text with BBcode from a post in a locked thread? I've got some threads I would send to archives, but they need quite a bit of sprucing up first, and since one of them has over a hundred linked images in the OP, whether I have to rebuild it from scratch might make or break that idea.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fiendly posted:

Is there a way to pull the text with BBcode from a post in a locked thread? I've got some threads I would send to archives, but they need quite a bit of sprucing up first, and since one of them has over a hundred linked images in the OP, whether I have to rebuild it from scratch might make or break that idea.

You can copy paste into google docs and I know it preserves formatting, than you can use the BBCode export to get the bbcode put back in.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I don't think it's been asked or mentioned, but is there any issue with archiving threads that have been forum-archived in general? I have a couple that fell back there, but they're otherwise all ready to be submitted. Just in case I need to rebuild the Breath of the Wild OP, dear god.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure baldurk has archives access.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure baldurk has archives access.

Pulling stuff from archive locked threads is no different from pulling them form live threads, or so I assume. You only need to rebuild your OP if the LP wasn't actually finished when it was archive locked. For example, my LPs of Ace Combats 04, 5, and 6 still technically aren't done yet because of the mythical bonus updates, yet 04 and 6 have been locked. So when I go to do the bonus updates I'm going to need to create a new thread specifically for them with an OP with a complete table of contents linking back to the archived thread so that baldurk can grab everything in hopefully in one go and not pull his hair out in frustration.

Again, or so I'm assuming, because I can't think of any other way it'd happen.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

I've added a note to address that specifically in the archive guidelines. I can pull from the forum archives just fine so no need to worry about that. But if the OP isn't ready to archive as-is and needs edits, that's when you'd need to convert to an sslptest post and send it to me as well. You could move & edit just the OP and keep all the links to the thread if the updates don't need to change, since I will fetch the thread & then replace the OP with the sslptest post contents.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is great news, I was worried because I remember there being a subtitled-LP of King Arthur and the Knights of Justice that used its subtitles solely with annotations. It seemed like the user had gone through a ton of effort with it and I'm glad that won't go to waste.

catgame21234
Mar 10, 2019

Oh Deer God Where Does The Grass Grow?
Well after reading everything that I can I figured this is the best place to post this.

I've been creating a lets play of an iron man run of Fire Emblem 12 on imgur for a while and was wondering if you guys think I should make the effort to make it be posted here.

The letsplay is different from the norm since I am rewriting the script, but it's also a continuation of an already compleated playthrough of FE11, where deaths, lore, and so forth are taken into consideration. I've already gone out of my way to write this so that you don't need to play the last game to understand the different character interpretations.

There'd need to be a good amount of edits to get it to be posted. I've gotten through…most of the prologue, and there are over 1290 images that have been published…out of 3283 images I've made so far (and counting) that I'd need to edit down to meet the size requirements of this place – as well as cutting up images since some of them far exceed the length limit here.

That said though, I'm not afraid to put in that time, and having BBC coding would help a lot with making the font look pretty here and it's been ages since I've done BBC coding. It's a lot of fun for me.

About 80% of the prologue has been made ready for publication for imgur with 19 parts uploaded which you can read now.
You can click on the image at the top or down here to be taken to the hub

I was thinking of posting my FE11 LP here but the formatting of it was so poo poo I would have been fuckin' blasted. This crap is far better this time around since I've been through this ringer before. I hope what I have made already is something that could be accepted here since I always wanted to make something for this sight.
If you guys like it and just tell me to go, that's all I need to retool this to make it tailor-made for Something Awful. Thanks for the vote of confidence in advance.

catgame21234 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 14, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This may be an outdated view now a days, and most people around here despise me, but I'm pretty firmly in the camp of You should make it for here. If you've already have an almost or halfway completed let's play and start spamming it here, you're not really wanting to engage with goons your just using our forums to farm views.

catgame21234
Mar 10, 2019

Turtlicious posted:

This may be an outdated view now a days, and most people around here despise me, but I'm pretty firmly in the camp of You should make it for here. If you've already have an almost or halfway completed let's play and start spamming it here, you're not really wanting to engage with goons your just using our forums to farm views.

Not necessarily, I went to add this into the edit but ya posted to quick (and im too loving slow). I knew about this place for a long time in one aspect or another and I always wanted to make something for it. The LP archives were something I've been exposed to and always wanted to make something for it. The views on imgur mean poo poo, and I only got so many points there cause I begged my friends to give me enough upvotes so that my URLs would stop loving breaking on me cause of their lovely host/post rules.

This place, even if crude, was always the cream of the crop for me of image LPs. I just didn't have the means to post and share this till now…and been trying to build up the courage to do so since this March. This LP was made only because of people from here, and I want to bring it here. To me – it's where it belongs.

With that in mind do you think I should follow through?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
literally anyone can make a let's play that gets into the archive, you just hit the :justpost: button. If you want an LP in the archives, make an LP here and then

SandCastle posted:

: Q.) Can I have my thread archived? What about this thread I really like, but I'm not the author?

A: Any thread which has been completed can be archived - just email Baldurk with the link to the thread, and he'll sort out the rest from there, getting any information from you if you're the author. If you have any specific requests or instructions feel free to include them in the email.

It's recommended but not required to include an archive blurb - a 160x120 image and a paragraph short enough to fit next to it without overflowing, see the top of the front page of the archive for examples.

E: Actually, doesn't he have rules about having a Table of Contents linking to every post in the LP.

E2: If you read the OP of this thread, there's specific rules against spamming your already finished, or halfway finished LP to farm views.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 14, 2019

catgame21234
Mar 10, 2019

Turtlicious posted:

literally anyone can make a let's play that gets into the archive, you just hit the :justpost: button.

I…understand that aspect of it, but I wanted to make something …"good". I needed time and practice. I wouldn't be thinking of posting it here if I didn't think it was finally worth it to commit to it.

…Huh…I think I just answered my own question with that…

edit: I messaged a mod regarding this already, in response to the front page comment.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lurkmore:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Turtlicious is being kind of a dick, which I guess is helpful in terms of testing your resolve maybe?

The main thing I'd say about your concept is that LPs usually are about showing off the game. Sometimes they have fanfic elements to them; plenty of RPG SSLPs have people injecting their own dialogue in. But you have to be really confident in your writing skills if you want to make the LP be entirely about your writing. Again, there are LPs that are like that; look up Quovak on the archives if you aren't familiar with what they've done.

The second thing I'd say is that nobody is going to read your LP if you post it by linking to imgur posts. Embed them in the forums directly, or use the lpix.org test poster.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does everyone assume I'm being a dick?

It's the 2nd rule of Let's Play

Let's PLay by the Let's Play Rules posted:

No YouTube dumps or reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

Also, don't re-post an LP you've already started elsewhere if it's a significant way through already. Create your LP for the thread, not the other way around.

E: Like hearing it's against the rules, and assuming you can ask a mod pretty special please with sugar on top can I break that rule, is something that new goons do, since old goons know that the rules are the rules.

catgame21234
Mar 10, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Turtlicious is being kind of a dick, which I guess is helpful in terms of testing your resolve maybe?

The main thing I'd say about your concept is that LPs usually are about showing off the game. Sometimes they have fanfic elements to them; plenty of RPG SSLPs have people injecting their own dialogue in. But you have to be really confident in your writing skills if you want to make the LP be entirely about your writing. Again, there are LPs that are like that; look up Quovak on the archives if you aren't familiar with what they've done.

The second thing I'd say is that nobody is going to read your LP if you post it by linking to imgur posts. Embed them in the forums directly, or use the lpix.org test poster.

I can see that…this place is definitely different from other forums! I like it already, haha.

Yeah, it wasn't going to be imgur links, id rather shoot my self then do something that half rear end. I'll need to fully remake everything so that I could be presentable here which shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm looking forward to that process. It'd give me a chance to chop down the writing too to actually not be as poo poo in some of these earlier parts. Just doing the calculations now, might put this crap on hiatus just to make everything I do have ready for SA.

Thank you for the name drop also! And thank you for that tool, I'll be sure to play around with it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Why does everyone assume I'm being a dick?

It's the 2nd rule of Let's Play

E: Like hearing it's against the rules, and assuming you can ask a mod pretty special please with sugar on top can I break that rule, is something that new goons do, since old goons know that the rules are the rules.

The rule is there to prevent people from posting in bad faith purely to farm views.

The very first impression I get from this new person is that they're posting in good faith, and they came to the Sandcastle to ask for advice which is much better than them just starting a thread and dumping an LP in there.

So yes, you are being a bit of a dick by assuming they're here in bad faith and trying to rules-lawyer them.

Now, I'm absolutely not convinced that catgame's format of writing their own story around a game would work on these forums, because LPs here are mostly about showing off the game itself and this format almost turns it into an original game of sorts, but that's another matter entirely that has nothing to do with the specific rules.

If this was a regular LP and catgame's indeed willing to remake it post by post for SA, I'd say :justpost:. As it is with the fan story setup, I'm in doubt and I'd like to see some more opinions, from other posters and/or mods.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really weird, because I'm of the exact opposite opinion, and think that he should try his creative writing excercise all he wants, as long as he makes it SPECIFICALLY for SA. Reposting 12k photos is just farming for views. There's nothing special about being an SA LP or getting into the archives, you just need to finish a project, and that's the way it should be. (I also think it's going to crash and burn, but it's better to have tried and failed, than to never tried at all.)

There have been plenty of very good fan fiction LP's, around games like GTA San Andreas, or Animal Crossing, or even Dwarf Fortress. The LP forum is kind of inseparable from fan fiction tbh, it's been apart of the LP forums DNA for a very long time.

E: The only way his writing and LP editing skills are going to get better, is if he pushes himself by writing more and seeking criticism.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 15, 2019

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
A concern I would have is that there might be some places to improve where being on part 19 already that would make that difficult. Like the first thing I notice is that your images are PNG for no real reason and it'd definitely save space (and probably save space on the image server's side) to just go with JPG (I mean the first image you have is super simple and it goes from being 400kb down to 70). Would you be cool with updating all that images to JPG? And what if people had input for improving how you're presenting the battles? Maybe gif's showing some action would be better or individual images instead of combining multiple images into a battle collage? Or what about character portraits for dialogue? Would you want to go back through everything and do that quality of life update for all the dialogue you've already done? Those are just surface level observations I've made from skimming but there could be issues as well with your rewrite. Is this something you'd want to tailor and improve to work here?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

catgame21234 posted:

With that in mind do you think I should follow through?

So the rule about existing LPs seems to mostly be to prevent people from effortlessly just copy/pasting the work they've already done on Youtube/other forums to farm for likes and stuff. It really doesn't look like you're doing that, at least to me, but you could always go back and do updated edits of your original versions for posting on SA. That would both give you natural space between updates and make it so you can tailor your work more for the thread. If you'd like to do that:

Like has already been mentioned, you have a lot of dialogue that doesn't involve screenshots, and I'd use portraits for that. The Fire Emblem Wiki's portrait gallery for FE12 should honestly have you covered for everything but your MyUnit. (I'd offer to send you the folder I used, but it's long gone at this point, sorry!)

The collage scenes for the battles are a neat idea, but I would try to use them somewhat more sparingly. I could see it being difficult for someone unfamiliar with the game to follow all of the action in that form, so sometimes you'll want to let captions or text do the heavy lifting. That's just sort of a general advantage of using a forum over imgur. That said, if you're wanting this to be an LP focused on people who already know the mechanics, and you don't intend to explain them, just note that in the OP.

The rewrite format does slide this into sort of an interesting fanfiction/LP hybrid, and while that's certainly not the usual thing we see here, I think it could totally work. Just know you might lose some people who aren't into that format.

All that said, I totally think you should post it. The more stringent rules are around to try to make people put effort into their LPs, and you've clearly put effort in. You have original art included, you've written new dialogue for the characters, and you've even made some edits to the portraits.

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

All you can do is try, and if you're willing to put the effort in to change it up a bit to post it here, I think it's totally worth a shot. You might not find your audience immediately, but I'd still say to :justpost: and see where it takes you.

Edit: Holy poo poo, thank you to whoever actually bought me the Jagen. I will do all in my power to be worthy of his smug gaze.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 15, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

If this was a regular LP and catgame's indeed willing to remake it post by post for SA, I'd say :justpost:. As it is with the fan story setup, I'm in doubt and I'd like to see some more opinions, from other posters and/or mods.

I'm only speaking for myself here, though I imagine my opinion lines up with Sally and Fedule's but I'm largely fine with the spirit of the OP's project. I'm of the opinion that LP is whatever you want it to be, so if you want to do something weird and experimental with it, then go for it, but it's on you and your level of talent and skill if it flies or fall. So long as it's done in good faith, which every indication points to a project like this being.

There is some natural grey area in the "No YouTube Dumps" rule, and while it is a hard and fast rule against people just dropping their entire catalog here and leaving hoping to farm for views, if someone takes the time to tailor an in-progress LP for posting on Something Awful and treats it as one would any other SA LP then does it in installments and in good faith, then we can allow some wiggle room. A project of this nature, however, is certainly stretching the boundaries of that wiggle room and with full knowledge and awareness of that from the OP.

Basically what LordHippoman said, more or less. Just put in some effort, be up front with everything, and roll with whatever comes of it. We've had weirder and more experimental poo poo find an audience here (MS Paint TIE Fighter, for example), so the sky is kind of the limit if you have the knack for it.

And if ya don't know, now ya know.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now, I'm absolutely not convinced that catgame's format of writing their own story around a game would work on these forums, because LPs here are mostly about showing off the game itself and this format almost turns it into an original game of sorts, but that's another matter entirely that has nothing to do with the specific rules.

It's entirely possible to make an LP that tells its own story and also shows off the game. Certain LPs of games like X-COM rely on them, as do LPs of other series like Etrian Odyssey. I don't know where this skepticism comes from.

The old X-COM UFO Defense LP basically uses the game as a base to tell a story, and I don't see why an LP of a rewrite would be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

catgame21234 posted:

edit: I messaged a mod regarding this already, in response to the front page comment.

Oh, word?

checks Private Messages

quote:

You don't have any new private messages (because nobody likes you).

:sadpeanut: