Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Reztes posted:

Alright so the dude I moved the Grumman for is offering to sell me a 1/4 share of the plane and I was not expecting this. Seems possible it could be a good deal financially vs. continuing to rent club and flight school planes if I flew it in the neighborhood of 60-80 hours. Anybody have good resources for estimating expenses or how to otherwise evaluate a co-ownership deal like this?

Call the AOPA. They've got numbers guys who will run everything for you (then try to sell you insurance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

What bugs me the most about this is that the pilot even has to enter the air temperature at all. Apparently the plane has temperature sensors and a later software update allows it to automatically sanity check the pilot's entry against their own readings, but why doesn't it just use those from the start? Have a way for the flight crew to override it if the readings are insane for one reason or another, but when my cell phone has literally dozens of temperature sensors it seems like an airliner could easily have enough that they can sanity check each other, throw out insane readings, and average the rest with enough accuracy for the purpose. Being 1-2 degrees off isn't likely to cause a problem, but being nearly 70 degrees off definitely will.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It finally happened! I described to a new student how to do the landing flare, and then he did it! The first landing I helped out at the very end, and then the second landing was all him -- ever so slightly lacking in right rudder, but considering the uphill battle I've fought with some students to get them just to avoid flying it nosewheel-first into the ground, I'm well pleased.

I don't know whether I'm improving really considerably as an instructor, or if I just got lucky with a good student, but drat! It's taken 5 or more hours in the circuit for me to get to that point with some of my other students. I can see this guy actually managing to get his PPL near minimums if he keeps going at this rate.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

wolrah posted:

What bugs me the most about this is that the pilot even has to enter the air temperature at all. Apparently the plane has temperature sensors and a later software update allows it to automatically sanity check the pilot's entry against their own readings, but why doesn't it just use those from the start? Have a way for the flight crew to override it if the readings are insane for one reason or another, but when my cell phone has literally dozens of temperature sensors it seems like an airliner could easily have enough that they can sanity check each other, throw out insane readings, and average the rest with enough accuracy for the purpose. Being 1-2 degrees off isn't likely to cause a problem, but being nearly 70 degrees off definitely will.

When you're entering a flex temp, you're not entering the real temp therefore sensors can't help you; you're entering a fake temp to trick the engine into using lower thrust.

And even then, the sensors may not be usable. For example, on the CRJ the temp sensors may have residual heat from being hated in the air on the last flight, so you can't use the info from them on the ground. The real temp is gotten by dispatch's computers from the NWS or wherever, and used by dispatch for the calculations, whereupon they datalink us the final results to enter into various places in the cockpit.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 22, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Still, it seems like a total failure of HCI practice that the software doesn't go "hey, you just put in a value that's seventy degrees below what I'm reading as the external temperature. Are you sure that's right?"

Like, if the temperatures disagree that much, then either

a) you hosed up your input
b) you are deliberately messing with the computer to trick it into doing something abnormal, or
c) the sensors are reporting wrong data

and in any of those cases the pilot should be alerted to take extra care.

Also I would love to experience a full-power takeoff at -52C :getin:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 22, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Still, it seems like a total failure of HCI practice that the software doesn't go "hey, you just put in a value that's seventy degrees below what I'm reading as the external temperature. Are you sure that's right?"

Like, if the temperatures disagree that much, then either

a) you hosed up your input
b) you are deliberately messing with the computer to trick it into doing something abnormal, or
c) the sensors are reporting wrong data

and in any of those cases the pilot should be alerted to take extra care.

Also I would love to experience a full-power takeoff at -52C :getin:

I wonder what the record for the LC-130s serving the South Pole station is. Daily mean temperature in March when they stop is -53C.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sagebrush posted:

That's basically what an assumed temperature derate is though?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That's fine, but if the computer sees you derating the temperature by, say, more than twenty degrees it could pop up a warning saying "are you sure that's right?"

How do you accidentally mistype "16" as "-52" anyway?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

When you're entering a flex temp, you're not entering the real temp therefore sensors can't help you; you're entering a fake temp to trick the engine into using lower thrust.

And even then, the sensors may not be usable. For example, on the CRJ the temp sensors may have residual heat from being hated in the air on the last flight, so you can't use the info from them on the ground. The real temp is gotten by dispatch's computers from the NWS or wherever, and used by dispatch for the calculations, whereupon they datalink us the final results to enter into various places in the cockpit.

On the 200s you still have to put in the OAT from the ATIS/AWOS. It’s a high quality aircraft.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

e.pilot posted:

On the 200s you still have to put in the OAT from the ATIS/AWOS. It’s a high quality aircraft.

Doh! I even used to fly that. Chalk it up to traumatic memory suppression.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

Doh! I even used to fly that. Chalk it up to traumatic memory suppression.

I always say the 200 is just as unpleasant to fly as it is to ride in.

Can’t wait until it’s behind me.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

e.pilot posted:

I always say the 200 is just as unpleasant to fly as it is to ride in.

Can’t wait until it’s behind me.

The 200 is a piece of poo poo... but its MY piece of poo poo!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Desi posted:

The 200 is a piece of poo poo... but its MY piece of poo poo!

Hey now, that’s insulting to pieces of poo poo. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Hey now, that’s insulting to pieces of poo poo. :v:

It’s poo poo after it hit a turbofan

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Before or after said turbofan corelocked in a vain attempt to reach four ten baby

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yes with a dash of slow speed event.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Anyone remember that ATC who sounded like she was having a stroke...

... I heard that she had a .3 BAC by the time they got her tested..

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

e.pilot posted:

We have many computers on this ship, but they are not networked.

Many fine men lost their lives just because someone wanted a faster computer, to make their job easier.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Many fine men lost their lives just because someone wanted a faster computer, to make their job easier.

That's what makes the 175 so great. The computers don't talk to each other. Even when they're supposed to.

And yes, you have to enter OAT manually for takeoffs...on a plane that's 3 months old.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

How do you accidentally mistype "16" as "-52" anyway?

+16C is approx 61F, and -52C is approx -61F, I’m guessing that the input was in F or something

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So even if they entered the temperature wrong.... what keeps one of the pilots from saying “hey maybe we aren’t making this one” and aborting or firewalling it after lift off so you don’t fly low for two miles? I mean surely the thing had the power for it

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

So even if they entered the temperature wrong.... what keeps one of the pilots from saying “hey maybe we aren’t making this one” and aborting or firewalling it after lift off so you don’t fly low for two miles? I mean surely the thing had the power for it

Premature Netflix deployment.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

This isn't the first time something like this has happened:

"Air Florida Flight 90 cvr posted:

15:59:35 [SOUND OF ENGINE SPOOLUP]
15:59:49 CAM-1 Holler if you need the wipers.
15:59:51 CAM-1 It's spooled. Real cold, real cold.
15:59:58 CAM-2 God, look at that thing. That don't seem right, does it? Uh, that's not right.
16:00:09 CAM-1 Yes it is, there's eighty.
16:00:10 CAM-2 Naw, I don't think that's right. Ah, maybe it is.
16:00:21 CAM-1 Hundred and twenty.
16:00:23 CAM-2 I don't know
16:00:31 CAM-1 Vee-one. Easy, vee-two.
16:00:39 [SOUND OF STICKSHAKER STARTS AND CONTINUES UNTIL IMPACT]
16:00:41 TWR Palm 90 contact departure control.
16:00:45 CAM-1 Forward, forward, easy. We only want five hundred.
16:00:48 CAM-1 Come on forward....forward, just barely climb.
16:00:59 CAM-1 Stalling, we're falling!
16:01:00 CAM-2 Larry, we're going down, Larry....
16:01:01 CAM-1 I know it.
16:01:01 [SOUND OF IMPACT]
[End of Recording]

From what I recall they flew all the way into the river with the thrust levers never going above about 50% travel despite the FO obviously having doubts about what was going on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

This isn't the first time something like this has happened:

From what I recall they flew all the way into the river with the thrust levers never going above about 50% travel despite the FO obviously having doubts about what was going on.

Did they do that too? I thought it was icing on, well, everything that was the main cause of the wreck

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Did they do that too? I thought it was icing on, well, everything that was the main cause of the wreck

Sort of. Due to their "unique" deicing procedure there was ice on everything. Including the engine inlet pressure sensor. Since they used EPR to set their takeoff thrust they just moved the levers until they hit their target pressure and left them there despite every other engine instrument being nowhere near their normal takeoff indications. If they had set full thrust they probably would have had enough thrust to keep flying. That was just the last nail in the coffin though, they had made pleanty of dumb mistakes up to that point.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Swiss cheese model strikes again.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
How do take offs for big airplanes work? Why wouldn’t they push to their temp/torque/whatever limit every time to ensure their is always enough thrust?

In a land or FADECs why not just firewall it?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Most large airplanes normally take off with the engines producing less than their rated power, since it saves a significant amount of money from reduced engine wear, and most runway/load/temperature combinations don't require full power to meet the takeoff performance requirements.

FADEC allows the engine to produce as much power as possible without exceeding temperature or RPM limits, but there's still a lot of cost savings in taking off at reduced power settings whenever possible.

One of the nice things about FADEC is that it's typically smart enough to know if an engine quit, so it's pretty common for there to be systems that will either automatically run the good engine up to full power if one quits on takeoff, or it'll let the good engine produce more than the maximum rated thrust for a short time.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

How do take offs for big airplanes work? Why wouldn’t they push to their temp/torque/whatever limit every time to ensure their is always enough thrust?

Saving maintenance cost by keeping the temps down. Unless there are extenuating circumstances like possible wind shear, contaminated runway, etc., we use reduced thrust every time.

Dispatch's computers upload our gross weight, bleed config, and anything else that affects performance, along with the runway we're gonna use, to a runway analysis provider (Aerodata in our case, another popular one is APG) where they crunch those factors against the runway length (or whether else may be limiting the performance: obstacles, drift down, etc.) and figures out the minimum thrust that will meet all those requirements and datalinks it to the cockpit.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

Prior to takeoff we calculate how much thrust we need to safely accelerate to v1, lose an engine, then either abort or continue the takeoff. This takes into account things like flap settings, weight, altitude, runway condition, anti-ice system, ect. Once we know how much thrust we need, usually in the form of a target n1 fan speed*, we set all the parameters into our FMS/FADEC and it will spit out a projected n1 value. If that value is significantly higher than required we reduce our thrust output by telling the FADEC that the outside air is warmer than it is. This causes the engine to produce less power reducing noise/fuelburn/wear during take off while still producing enough thrust.

On the takeoff itself most FADEC equiped aiecraft have a detent for takeoffs and go arounds (TOGA). The thrust levers are placed in the TOGA detent either by the pilots or the auto throttles and the FADEC delivers the pre calculated takeoff thrust. Most aircraft have a system that will alert the pilots if the levers are not in the detent and a takeoff attempt is detected. In the event of an engine failure the FADEC will automatically go to max thrust on the remaining engines.

In addition to this most aircraft have a "max power" detent for emergencies such as windshesr, stall, or if the FADEC does not recognize an engine failure.

*N1 fan speed is the closest thing to a conventional tachometer that exists on turbofan powered aircraft.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why does the FMS spit out the wrong value?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Why does the FMS spit out the wrong value?

if you put in the wrong performance reduction temperature, or if you input the wrong weights. The FMS is only as smart as the two retards sitting in the cockpit.

It blows my mind how those two dudes can sit there before 80kts telling each other how it’s too slow and doesn’t feel right and no one thinks of idk maybe pushing the power levers up to max power?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

Air Florida 90 was a 737-200 with JT8Ds, which are decidedly NOT FADEC. “Just fire-walling it” will almost always exceed operating parameters and cause engine damage, if not failure.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Air Florida 90 was a 737-200 with JT8Ds, which are decidedly NOT FADEC. “Just fire-walling it” will almost always exceed operating parameters and cause engine damage, if not failure.

Yeah thats why I said push it to temp/torque limits, whatever it is.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I’m glad someone at the company today had the intelligence to cancel our last two legs today instead of returning to Chicago:

KORD 252339Z 2600/2706 04022G32KT 2SM -SNRA OVC008
TEMPO 2601/2603 1/2SM SN OVC006
FM260300 02025G35KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN(blowing snow) FZFG(freezing fog) VV004(vertical vis. 400ft)
TEMPO 2603/2607 02030G40KT 0SM +TSSN FZFG(freezing fog) VV001(vertical vis. 100ft)CB
FM261000 36023G35KT 1SM -SN BLSN(blowing snow) BR OVC008
FM261300 34018G28KT P6SM BKN009 OVC015
FM261800 31012G20KT P6SM BKN030

Thunder snow! :rock:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Butt Reactor posted:

I’m glad someone at the company today had the intelligence to cancel our last two legs today instead of returning to Chicago:

KORD 252339Z 2600/2706 04022G32KT 2SM -SNRA OVC008
TEMPO 2601/2603 1/2SM SN OVC006
FM260300 02025G35KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN(blowing snow) FZFG(freezing fog) VV004(vertical vis. 400ft)
TEMPO 2603/2607 02030G40KT 0SM +TSSN FZFG(freezing fog) VV001(vertical vis. 100ft)CB
FM261000 36023G35KT 1SM -SN BLSN(blowing snow) BR OVC008
FM261300 34018G28KT P6SM BKN009 OVC015
FM261800 31012G20KT P6SM BKN030

Thunder snow! :rock:

:catstare:

There's a TAF block for the Seattle area tomorrow morning that reads WS020/18050KT, which I had never seen before

Who's ready to see how low groundspeed readouts can go at 2,000AGL

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love ThunderSnow because that poo poo is a get out of work free card every time. I’ve never mentioned it to anyone without them cancelling immediately.

Thanks ThunderSnow!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a patagonian cavy posted:

:catstare:

There's a TAF block for the Seattle area tomorrow morning that reads WS020/18050KT, which I had never seen before

Who's ready to see how low groundspeed readouts can go at 2,000AGL

I brought a PC12 in over the numbers at less than 50kt gs with 47kt right down the runway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

e.pilot posted:

I brought a PC12 in over the numbers at less than 50kt gs with 47kt right down the runway.

My flight school has 152s so I could probably hover without pushing it too hard